Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I unsubscribed to ACD and Adam&Drew today, but just like the Howard Stern show even tho I will stop listening I'll for drat sure read this thread every day :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, that's what I've been doing for a long time now. I have a morbid curiosity about how the show's going, but to quote that overused drop from his son, it's just a waste of my time. I think it's strange that such a stagnant podcast has more episodes released per week than a lot more creative and interesting ones do.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Northjayhawk posted:

Listened to the first part of the most recent podcast.

He and BB opened by openly mocking the idiots who suggested a love affair. Then they settled in, Adam started reiterating that Alison is a good writer, a good lead, not a good sidekick, etc. Adam acknowledged that he was basically retarded as far as referring to giving Gina and Tim Conway a proper sendoff right after talking about firing Alison.

Adam then said that even though he looks like he's being cruel, he really means what he's saying, that he doesn't think Alison should continue on this job. "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something".

Also "I think she's got a lot in the tank, and not much of it is coming out" because she's basically being quiet and deferring to Adam, being repressed by her role, etc. He basically spent a bit of time saying that he thinks she'll now probably be more creative and produce a lot of stuff now that she's freed from his shadow.

Also said she'd probably sit there listening to the same stories for the next five years and not really get kicked out from behind the drum kit so to speak"

"I didn't do this.... FOR HER.... but I feel like some people can fall into a position and stagnate"

Adam also admitted that, regarding his short curt email, "she didn't get what she deserved out of it" "I should have done a better job, I wasn't thinking about it like I should have", etc

This is exactly what I figured happened and all of you over reacted. :colbert:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Boinks posted:

This is exactly what I figured happened and all of you over reacted. :colbert:

People very easily believe things that fit into their worldview and will easily discount things out of hand that do not. It's how I work, how you work, etc. Plus everyone loves drama.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

wait i'm sorry what reasonable explanation was "predicted?" he came off like a flippant dick about it, but at least admitted (however sincere ace man can get) that he hosed up the execution, and she deserved better. while it would have been fun to hear there was some sort of juicy issue behind it i think most people were on the side of, "well it's your show i guess, but why are you such an rear end in a top hat about it?"

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Most of you guys complaining dont even like Adam do you?

Hes probably got one of the most monitized podcasts out there, and a lot of other podcasters would kill for the money he gets from advertising. Sounds like Alison had some issues behind the scenes that we arent privvy to and Adam is trying to take the high road by not mentioning them.

Alisons got her own podcast twice a week and she isnt going to be living on the streets anytime soon.

Relax jeez.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Tweak posted:

wait i'm sorry what reasonable explanation was "predicted?" he came off like a flippant dick about it, but at least admitted (however sincere ace man can get) that he hosed up the execution, and she deserved better. while it would have been fun to hear there was some sort of juicy issue behind it i think most people were on the side of, "well it's your show i guess, but why are you such an rear end in a top hat about it?"

Haha right. There is nothing reasonable. after 4 years of it going swell she was poo poo canned via email and with no warning at all. I stress that its his right to do so but it's also my right to think he's a cock for it.

JB50 posted:

Most of you guys complaining dont even like Adam do you?

Hes probably got one of the most monitized podcasts out there, and a lot of other podcasters would kill for the money he gets from advertising. Sounds like Alison had some issues behind the scenes that we arent privvy to and Adam is trying to take the high road by not mentioning them.

Alisons got her own podcast twice a week and she isnt going to be living on the streets anytime soon.

Relax jeez.

Where do you get that idea? This is as just as a speculatory as them two having an affair.

In regards to your first question, would I listen to someone for half of my life if I didn't like them? Or to put it into perspective, if my wife, whom I love very much, started treating waiters and waitresses at restaurants we go to with little to no respect, I'd be very vocal about it. It doesn't mean I don't love her. It means there is an issue and I'm speaking up.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Moniker posted:

Where do you get that idea? This is as just as a speculatory as them two having an affair.

There was tweets from Adams wife and Adam himself that mentioned Alison and bad morale behind the scenes.
She was probably crying about her stupid rear end dog too much(pure speculation).

JB50 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 7, 2015

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

JB50 posted:

There was tweets from Adams wife and Adam himself that mentioned Alison and bad morale behind the scenes.
She was probably crying about her stupid rear end dog too much(pure speculation).

I feel bad that Alison got canned the way she did and Adam is a total dick in all of this but its true, God drat was I sick of hearing about that dog. You would have thought that Oliver was her loving 9 year old brother. Its sad your dog died lady and I feel bad for you, its terrible but have some loving perspective.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Pretty obvious she got canned for never stepping up to the bottom drawer freezer.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

visuvius posted:

I feel bad that Alison got canned the way she did and Adam is a total dick in all of this but its true, God drat was I sick of hearing about that dog. You would have thought that Oliver was her loving 9 year old brother. Its sad your dog died lady and I feel bad for you, its terrible but have some loving perspective.

JB50 posted:

:gonk:

You guys are terrible god drat.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Veskit posted:

I have a dog too, but Im not gonna cry for weeks on end when he dies.

Its not a child. I feel bad for her husband, he has to put up with her.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

beanieson posted:

Pretty obvious she got canned for never stepping up to the bottom drawer freezer.

That was legit one of the funniest things the three of them did together.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Veskit posted:

Jesus Christ. It's true.

JB50 posted:

I have a dog too, but Im not gonna cry for weeks on end when he dies.

Its not a child. I feel bad for her husband, he has to put up with her.

I would be incredibly upset if that happened to my dogs. I'm an animal lover through and through and the thought of my dog dying a peaceful death is enough to make me sad, let alone a long torturous one like Oliver. At the very least understand that not everyone is like you and some people might be more sensitive toward some aspects. And to be fair, judging by how bad she took it, her on air persona wasn't that bad. In fact I don't think she shed a tear on the air. I'd have had to take time off work in all honesty and I'm grown man.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

yea thank god adam never talks about his dog

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tweak posted:

yea thank god adam never talks about his dog

He doesn't.

He just talks about the fifty grand he's spent keeping the dog alive.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty low integrity move by the ace man. Never heard the part about wanting to be fired by email, so maybe that was the motivation.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I listened to the beginning of the show, and it's good to know that he at least accepts he handled this AWFULLY. The email thing felt out of left field, but I think Alison was nodding and agreeing to adam when he was talking about email firing. It could have been something where they celebrated her departure but instead it was awkward and weird. it was SUPER WEIRD. Hey Alison was let go she wont be back no show, deal with it. Also why not let her have her show on the ACE network? Like it's still confusing.

Affair chat was funny, and the hack with the rack.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm pretty shocked that, of all people, Adam Carolla is a massive dickhead. Since I listened to him every night on Loveline in my youth, and in all the times I've randomly heard him on his various podcasts, he's always came off as a very, very nice person.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the discussion on the show today was fine. He apologized, admitted his mistake, and covered the topic about as well as can be expected. Adam's always been a dick so this shouldn't be too shocking. And the entertainment industry will always have firings that people disagree with.

My only issue is that I don't think the change makes the show any better. If that was his goal, there are a slew of other things he should be looking at. I don't subscribe anymore but still download episodes with good guests or when I'm desperate for content on a trip.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Has anyone subscribed to the take a knee stuff? It sounds more like the interview type program that originally got me onboard with carolla years ago. i looooved hearing him do long form interviews with interesting people, but then he eventually brought in Bryan and Teresa and it became morning zoo :(

if he had fired Alison and Bryan to go back to the interview format I'd have no problem with it, but Gina Grad is the most "radio" they could have found :(

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
WOW. I just stumbled on this thread. I've been listening steadily to this and Adam/Drew for the last few years. I've had the Patton Oswalt interview downloaded the last few days and was planning on listening to it tomorrow- but this was the first I heard of Alison being fired. How he did it was ultimately the worst part about it.

He's a bit right - she was good - not great - but provided what was necessary. She could never (and never attempted) to upstage him and that's a good thing. I never got the impression that neither she nor Brian were "supposed" to be sidekicks. It's the Adam Carolla Show. Not the "Adam and Allison Show". Despite some of the posters here I actually liked her anecdotes as it kept everything grounded - while Adam's stories just come across like being Larry David in Curb.

Moniker posted:

The main thing I like about BB is the fact that he sometimes has the nuts to say he disagrees with Adam.

This is when I really like the show - even when Allison stepped up to the plate to disagree. Disagreements make great entertainment. Does Adam just want to surround himself with "Yes" men to parrot his points. I'm almost positive he probably said something about being against yes men. Firing Allison was a big mistake. If he thinks it was to help the show - that's a mistake, especially with how he did this. And if someone did help him type the e-mail - wouldn't someone have said, "maybe this is wrong, maybe we should do this over the phone or in person". Adam having aspergers makes a lot of sense. He's done and said a lot of stupid things over the years I think this was arguably one of the worst. She wasn't 'just' the newsgirl, she was a major part of the show, and to callously fire her like this is either him being ignorant or blind of her popularity. And she wasn't popular - but no one was looking for her to leave either and that's what Adam failed to see- that her leaving (by being fired) would have a negative effect on him and his show.

Niwrad posted:

The funny thing with Adam is how he slowly becomes everything he hates. He trashed the morning radio format but does everything he can to try and replicate it on his show. And for all the poo poo talking he does about those who surround themselves with "yes people", he's done the exact same thing with his life. He'll always have a core of loyal followers, but he'll never get any bigger than he is with how tone deaf he is to his audience.

This irony will never get tired.

For those who didn't listen to it (it's available for free) the Gene Simmons interview is really good.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

beanieson posted:

Has anyone subscribed to the take a knee stuff? It sounds more like the interview type program that originally got me onboard with carolla years ago. i looooved hearing him do long form interviews with interesting people, but then he eventually brought in Bryan and Teresa and it became morning zoo :(

if he had fired Alison and Bryan to go back to the interview format I'd have no problem with it, but Gina Grad is the most "radio" they could have found :(

Both interviews he has for free are VERY good.

http://adamcarolla.com/take-a-knee-with-gene-simmons/
http://adamcarolla.com/take-a-knee-norman-lear/

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

I think the discussion on the show today was fine. He apologized, admitted his mistake, and covered the topic about as well as can be expected. Adam's always been a dick so this shouldn't be too shocking. And the entertainment industry will always have firings that people disagree with.

My only issue is that I don't think the change makes the show any better. If that was his goal, there are a slew of other things he should be looking at. I don't subscribe anymore but still download episodes with good guests or when I'm desperate for content on a trip.

There was a point where it sounded like he was going to say, "In a few years she'll be thanking me for this", but either thought better of it or wanted to bring the focus back on himself.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, hey! There's an episode with Patton Oswalt on it? I guess I'll actually download an episode, for once. I can't miss Patton on any venue, even Adam's. Last episodes I downloaded was the one with Jimmy Dore, who he was surprisingly cordial with, considering Jimmy has about double Adam's IQ and is a liberal (coincidentally!).

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I listened to Alison's Thursday show this morning and some things I took away from it are:
  • That the crew was incredibly silent during the explanation which was to expected.
  • Although they were on this show they're not sure if they'll be on future shows, or what the future holds for it.
  • She's taking this is a good thing and considering adding another day to the show.
  • The crew needs to learn how to talk into a god drat microphone as well as get some mic stands.
I think she's taking it very well and I still think Ace is being dishonest about his reasoning, but that's okay. It's his right. It just did it poorly.

ACS
Apr 30, 2009
I think everyone has the reason for Adam dumping Allison all wrong. Obviously she was the last one to leave the studio for the last four years and if there's anything that loving Adam can't loving stand is when some loving person doesn't have the loving brain in their loving head to remember to turn the loving lights off! If he gets loving pissed off that the wife and the loving kids don't do it, what do you loving think would happen if loving Allison doesn't loving do it!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Holy hell, that segment with Dr. Bruce this morning was rough to listen to. Does anybody know why he still comes on the show?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

benito posted:

Holy hell, that segment with Dr. Bruce this morning was rough to listen to. Does anybody know why he still comes on the show?

Low self esteem.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

benito posted:

Maybe Bruce still owes him 50 grand, and is gonna pay it off with like 5000 appearances.

BTW I listened to some of Alisons latest podcast she did from her house. She admitted that she been in a depressive funk lately due to her dog dying (like months ago) and her trying to get preggo problems. She also took her new dog on the plane with her to NY on vacation.

Maybe Adam found out she took the dog on the plane and that (Combined with her fridge)was the straw that broke the camels back.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

Maybe Bruce still owes him 50 grand, and is gonna pay it off with like 5000 appearances.

BTW I listened to some of Alisons latest podcast she did from her house. She admitted that she been in a depressive funk lately due to her dog dying (like months ago) and her trying to get preggo problems. She also took her new dog on the plane with her to NY on vacation.

Maybe Adam found out she took the dog on the plane and that (Combined with her fridge)was the straw that broke the camels back.

There's 0 percent chance he would fire her for taking a dog on a plane. He'd complain, sure, but come on.

And about Bruce - I don't know why. The guy is treated like complete poo poo. I hope one day he really stands up for himself but he won't. :(

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I'm on the dont listen to the show but still read the thread bandwagon amd while I dont agree with how he did it I do agree that Alison wasnt a good sidekick.

Thats not disparaging to her, but you could tell that she was clearly trying to fit herself into a role that she didnt exactly enjoy. Every now and then she would pop in with a very subtle funny line that Adam seemed to never notice and would roll completely over.

I guess what Im saying is that she did not fit into the roll Adam wanted her to fill and while that is Adams fault for trying to force her to be something she wasnt instead of letting her naturally grow into a comfortable role, it still wasnt working.

Mostly Im just glad that she wont have to say zip it oval office anymore because it always felt uncomfortable and forced. Its poo poo like that, Adam seeming to force things on her rather than it feeling natural that made it a bad fit.

Also I did listen to the Patton Oswalt episode because, well, Patton Oswalt and it was very good. Mostly because of the aforementioned Patton Oswalt.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Regarding Alison and the dog, since I don't listen regularly I didn't realize she had been going on so much about it. But I did listen to an episode around Thanksgiving (having not listened in months) and was a little surprised to hear her say she was having a "bad Oliver day." The only other time I'd heard a phrase like "bad [name of deceased person] day" was from a parent who lost a child.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's a bad sign. Listening to The Film Vault and Alison is going to be their guest next week. The topic is top-5 cute and cuddly animals and I'm sure her dead dog won't come up ;).

I actually never heard Alison talk about her dog but once but yeah the fact that it shattered her was palpable. When I said she "was sensitive and would get stuck on/ruminate on things that were personally relevant to her" I was thinking about her parents telling her she wasn't Jewish and what guys found/did not find attractive and poo poo like that but the dog definitely fits. I'm sure it's not MUCH of the story but if she brought it up a lot that would have definitely bothered Adam in the "we have an obligation to each other to not be a downer" sense.

The Lear one was really good. The Gene Simmons one, I don't know, that guy seemed barely human. I guess that in itself is kind of interesting but I feel like it was like listening to Adam talk to an unfunny and more extreme version of himself.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Adam was on Rich Eisen's (much better) show the other day, and it appears that the next episode of take a knee will include him. After all his, "dance monkey" rants regarding talk shows, I wonder if it ever occurs to him it's what he does to Jo Koy/DAG/et all. He was asked to talk about goal posts & the replay gimp, though I was pleasantly surprised he had more to add football related after his default patriots remark.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 9, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Alison talked about her dog a few times. It was expected. I think the problem with her is she really does seem to bring up the most depressing poo poo on the show. Whether it's the dog, her medical problems, inability to get pregnant, her wedding, and so on. Plus she would pick the most depressing news stories most of the time. Just felt that most of the time the stuff she talked about was a downer. Maybe that's why they didn't mesh well.

The best guests are the ones that are kind of jovial and get Adam in a good mood. That's what he should look for in a co-host.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is number one Asian big boobed qveen still doing porn? Minka always brightens him up and her stilted English is adorable.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Moniker posted:

There's 0 percent chance he would fire her for taking a dog on a plane. He'd complain, sure, but come on.

And about Bruce - I don't know why. The guy is treated like complete poo poo. I hope one day he really stands up for himself but he won't. :(

That last line in my comment was a joke, I dont think he fired her for that.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think it's a little unfair to say she only brought up depressing news stories when the last couple months have been nothing but depressing news stories everywhere. I understand it's a comedy show, but it seems weird if the segment on, "current news" only focuses on some goofy poo poo that happened to a nobody in rando town USA.

edit: then again if one of my main problems with the show is Adam's constant stream of terrible and depressing political opinions, maybe they should just focus on Germany or Florida like stories.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"I think it's safe to say that if an object resembling a dong ruined your Christmas, your Christmas was on thin ice already."