Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Anyone down on out of touch, morally questionable SHIELD Cap, check out Nova #25. Cap makes Nova a provisional Avenger, it's a pretty touching and nice book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo Avengers 34 was amazing. You learned a very important lesson Do not gently caress with Black Panther

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would say obviously none of them are dead, but the fact that he was willing to go through with it is what's important here.
Over all great issue.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avengers 40 owned. Don't gently caress with kings.

Is Avengers 34.2 any good?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes but Starbrand's face is so badly drawn he looks like an anime version of Odo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Hyperion 34.1 one-shot was much, much better. This was pretty light'n'fluffy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Avengers 40 owned. Don't gently caress with kings.

It's nowhere near as good as 34.1 and totally skippable. If you really want to see more Starbrand and Nightmask interacting it might be worth flipping through.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So uh... Maximus has some kind of fail safe, doesn't he? That can't just be it for them...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

So uh... Maximus has some kind of fail safe, doesn't he? That can't just be it for them...

I would say 100% yes

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Senor Candle posted:

I would say 100% yes

And pretty much all involved can survive in a vacuum anyway. Off the board maybe but not out of the game.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

And pretty much all involved can survive in a vacuum anyway. Off the board maybe but not out of the game.

I could see Namor being the only one that stays dead through the run, but I think it's very unlikely.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
More scandalous is the fact Hickman is pushing his pro-Cat-Beast agenda when obviously Ape-Beast is the better design I mean it's how THE KING made him and who are you to doubt him

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I'm going to start reading Avengers/New Avengers from #1s, can I just read them according to release date or do I need to follow a specific order? I have all the issues up to the Avengers issue that came out today.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dunbar posted:

If I'm going to start reading Avengers/New Avengers from #1s, can I just read them according to release date or do I need to follow a specific order? I have all the issues up to the Avengers issue that came out today.

They go one after the other pretty good up to Infinity which has a specific reading guide within each book involved. Then it goes back to alternating between books I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They go one after the other pretty good up to Infinity which has a specific reading guide within each book involved. Then it goes back to alternating between books I think.

Read New Avengers 1-3, then alternate arcs until infinity were there is a reading order. After infinity alternate arcs until Time Runs Out and alternate issues.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Is this the Inhuman Maximus? If so I thought he died in Inhuman #8 or 9? Or at least has no fingers. I'm so confused with all these various time changes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dunbar posted:

If I'm going to start reading Avengers/New Avengers from #1s, can I just read them according to release date or do I need to follow a specific order?

I put a reading order list for Hickman's entire run here.

We're nearing the end! :neckbeard:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 14, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That is really helpful, thanks. I didn't intend to read any crossovers, just the Avengers/New Avengers main titles, but it sounds like Infinity is pretty integral to understanding what is going on. If I skip that, am I going to be totally lost?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dunbar posted:

That is really helpful, thanks. I didn't intend to read any crossovers, just the Avengers/New Avengers main titles, but it sounds like Infinity is pretty integral to understanding what is going on. If I skip that, am I going to be totally lost?

Yes. Infinity is a very important part of the story. Those issues of Avengers and New Avengers will also make no sense without it. You can sort of read the main series and understand it, but trying to read one of the avengers titles by themselves or with the other one will make no sense what so ever.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dunbar posted:

It's pretty much the conclusion to the first "act" of his avengers run, it's pretty much an 16 issue story arc. None of the tie-ins are required reading.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dunbar posted:

Infinity is absolutely necessary, and awesome to boot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

It's pretty much the conclusion to the first "act" of his avengers run, it's pretty much an 16 issue story arc. None of the tie-ins are required reading.

Codependent Poster posted:

Infinity is absolutely necessary, and awesome to boot.

These. Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity all tell one story from a few different angles but they'll have a reading order guide built into them. Any other tie-in is just people fighting aliens because.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
So, the only point of managing a truce with Cap's Avengers was so they wouldn't be in the way? Because they were pretty useless there. I mean, it was all Illuminati and New Avengers.

Great issue.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PelvicNerve posted:

So, the only point of managing a truce with Cap's Avengers was so they wouldn't be in the way? Because they were pretty useless there. I mean, it was all Illuminati and New Avengers.

Great issue.

the new avengers only came to stop cap avengers and the illuminati from fighting

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

jsoh posted:

the new avengers only came to stop cap avengers and the illuminati from fighting

They did provide the crazy AIM tech at least.
I guess Cap provided strongly worded statements.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jsoh posted:

Yeah all they wanted to do was to remake the Avengers as one group not two fighting.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cap provides a sense of legitimacy that the Illuminati random murder squad doesn't really have. He represents the political system, while Roberto represents the young comic book buying market and the fact cat-beast looks better.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, I guess having the SHIELD goons on board even if they didn't do anything right there is a necessary step towards rebuilding the Avengers beyond Roberto's awesome teams.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PelvicNerve posted:

They did provide the crazy AIM tech at least.
I guess Cap provided strongly worded statements.

yeah i meant, the aim super science squad wouldnt have been there if the illuminati didnt bait the new avengers there, by baiting cap there. cap is cheese roberto is mouse

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I will say I love how destroyed Namor looks after taking that hit from Black Bolt. That's a good look of shock on his face. Speak of which, I think the tiny text said something like "Tell my brother Maximus for me... FAREWELL". I don't actually own a magnifying glass though.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I love how Hank and Reed are trying to weasel out of their deserved punishments already. "I'll do what I have to do", "I'm prepared for the worst". In other words they're going to run away with their tails between their legs.

Namor and T'Challa are the only members of the Illuminati with any form of backbone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Beast is just gonna clone Dark Beast and blame it all on him, or blame mind control.

Yeah that is it, Namor was mind-controlling him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hickman is the only author who has ever made me shout "Holy gently caress!" at the end of a book.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

IUG posted:

I will say I love how destroyed Namor looks after taking that hit from Black Bolt. That's a good look of shock on his face. Speak of which, I think the tiny text said something like "Tell my brother Maximus for me... FAREWELL". I don't actually own a magnifying glass though.

It's "When you see my brother Maximus... Bid him...", to be exact.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Is it actually legible on paper? I noticed that through Comixology and extreme zooming but that really looked like lines at first.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

Is it actually legible on paper? I noticed that through Comixology and extreme zooming but that really looked like lines at first.

It totally is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sam and Roberto being "hurt" was the funniest loving thing. Also, Doom is saving Namor (and maybe the rest of the Cabal) since he's going for the Mapmakers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Holy poo poo the cover should have been BP giving a giant middle finger. And can I add that Iron Man being gone off the board hasn't been a detriment at all. I don't even miss him in the revolving cast of characters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sam and Roberto being "hurt" was the funniest loving thing. Also, Doom is saving Namor (and maybe the rest of the Cabal) since he's going for the Mapmakers.
The cover to an upcoming NA issue shows that things may not quiiiiiite go in Doom's favor, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Steve Roger's reaction to it is also gold.

• Locked thread