Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Living Earth, the only weather app besides Weather Underground itself that uses the WU API, is on sale by about 65% for the holidays.

E: drat apparently that sale ended today. I'm still gonna pick it up because it's gonna look great on my 6+ I just know it

Yahoo Weather is the best weather app and it uses WU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dizzywhip posted:

What's a good app with basic Photoshop-like features for iPhone? Pixelmator looks good but it's just for iPad. Right now I just need something that lets me blur out portions of a picture, but I'd rather get a general-purpose image editor that can do that than a one-trick app.

Use Aviary. It has blurring as well as basically all the adjustments.

It doesn't have layers or stacks or masking though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

lignicolos posted:

BeWeather also uses Weather Underground for it's weather information.

Apparently it's the same price too. One happens to have a cool spinny globe though.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

tuyop posted:

Use Aviary. It has blurring as well as basically all the adjustments.

It doesn't have layers or stacks or masking though.

I like it, thanks for the recommendation! I don't see myself needing layers or anything, although I do wish it had masking. The blur tool will get the job done though.

It might be worth noting that its huge collection of in-app purchases are all free until January 5th if anyone else is interested.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Neurostorm posted:

I'm a grad student and I just got an iPad and I'm looking for apps for reading (and organizing and taking notes on) journal articles (almost always a pdf). A friend suggested goodreader but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able annotate, as well as sort based on either year or author (if it can automatically generate that information that would be a plus as usually the default file names from the various websites are rather useless). Anyone have any ideas?

Sente is the best solution I have found and I was 100% satisfied with it. I still heaved everything over into BibDesk for drag/drop citation when writing my dissertation, but Sente was my workflow for reading/annotating articles. Papers app was what I originally used but jumped poo poo when it came time to get serious since it was still pretty janky in terms of sync and annotation. Sente has excellent auto-scan for picking up metadata.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Any good weather, music or podcast apps on the App Store?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Have you heard about Dashlane?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No, is it a weather, music or a podcast app?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Last Chance posted:

No, is it a weather, music or a podcast app?

Well, it's orange.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Someone needs to make an app that's all three of these, but does just like, one small thing wrong with each of them. Just to drive everyone on this forum crazy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Living Earth, the only weather app besides Weather Underground itself that uses the WU API, is on sale by about 65% for the holidays.

E: drat apparently that sale ended today. I'm still gonna pick it up because it's gonna look great on my 6+ I just know it

In that it is using WeatherUnderground API or whatever, does it tell me weather in my hood (local neighborhood weather station) much as WeatherUnderground does?

Apparently it's the same price too. One happens to have a cool spinny globe though.

The other has really good lock screen widget.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Feenix posted:

In that it is using WeatherUnderground API or whatever, does it tell me weather in my hood (local neighborhood weather station) much as WeatherUnderground does?
LivingEarth and Yahoo Weather don't have a way to drill down to the PWS level as far as I can tell. Entering the station codes doesn't do it, anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

LivingEarth and Yahoo Weather don't have a way to drill down to the PWS level as far as I can tell. Entering the station codes doesn't do it, anyway.

PASS! :(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You don't get cold leprosy spots that don't even register on the temperature key with the basic WU app, though!

#sendhelp :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a POLAR VORTEX. :supaburn:

Worth at least a week of hand wringing on the evening news!

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

You don't get cold leprosy spots that don't even register on the temperature key with the basic WU app, though!

Needs more wind animation.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aside from getting the app, how can I get rid of the annoying Carousel ad from the Dropbox app?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to get fantastical to let your invitees change an event you invite them to?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just an FYI: I posted a few weeks ago about Transit App burning through my battery at all times. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and whatever it was doing seems to have stopped, so that's good. Still weird.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Why don't email notifications go away on my phone when I read them on my Mac? When I read a text on my Mac its marked as read and the notification on my phone goes away, but email notifications don't seem to sync?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

nickutz posted:

Why don't email notifications go away on my phone when I read them on my Mac? When I read a text on my Mac its marked as read and the notification on my phone goes away, but email notifications don't seem to sync?

I'd imagine it has to do with mail server's being 3rd party run and nothing to do with Apple. But yeah, Apple should be able to note when you've at least read a message with the Mail.app on OSX and have that reflect in iOS. Maybe they tried and it was too buggy, maybe Apple is a piece of poo poo lately. Maybe gently caress you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoUWdzNp9SM

decypher fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 3, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
TeeVee has completely poo poo the bed. Any alternatives?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

PaganGoatPants posted:

TeeVee has completely poo poo the bed. Any alternatives?

https://twitter.com/teeveeapp

They're working on it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What the flying gently caress happened to the Tapatalk UI in the last update?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Found this app called Capture that's pretty useful. One tap and it starts recording video. I witnessed a hit and run and had to chase a guy in my car while switching from photo to video mode.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

spongeworthy posted:

What the flying gently caress happened to the Tapatalk UI in the last update?
They hosed it up.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone use a good Facebook alternative aside from Paper? I don't like how I can't get rid of the "hey! download messenger! hey! did you download it yet?" part of Facebook.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
touch.facebook.com

no, really. get that poo poo off your phone.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
You can install a tweak to use FB app messages if you're jailbroken.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone use a good Facebook alternative aside from Paper? I don't like how I can't get rid of the "hey! download messenger! hey! did you download it yet?" part of Facebook.

Paper still handles messaging in app and doesn't nag me to get messenger. It still savages your battery life though.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

eriddy posted:

Yahoo Weather is the best weather app and it uses WU.

I know this in an old post, but Yahoo Weather gets its info from Weather Channel, not WU.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

CygnusTM posted:

I know this in an old post, but Yahoo Weather gets its info from Weather Channel, not WU.

Maybe it's different in other countries, but I'm in Canada and there's a Weather Underground logo in the forecast section. I think you can see it in the screenshots on the App page.

I actually re-downloaded the app to check out of curiosity (I've been using BeWeather) and I notice Yahoo Weather has prominent ads now. Booooo Yahoo Weather.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anybody have a preference for camera apps? I'm using manual and hoping there's an app out there where I can reposition the focus assist zoom. In fact I'm not sure at all why it's center only - for an developed by photographers it seems like an oversight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slowhanded posted:

Anybody have a preference for camera apps? I'm using manual and hoping there's an app out there where I can reposition the focus assist zoom. In fact I'm not sure at all why it's center only - for an developed by photographers it seems like an oversight.

Camera+ is pretty much the gold standard.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

Camera+ is pretty much the gold standard.

I wouldn't say Camera+ is the gold standard so much as it has simply snowballed in popularity to the point where no one can catch up in name recognition. ProCamera 8 is one example of a much more versatile and powerful camera app. There are several others if you look.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Camera+ is good the same way [any overrated thing] is good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I don't even know how to use the features on camera plus

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Camera + is a slow piece of horse poo poo. Don't use it is my recommendation.

645 PRO is dope, like I've mentioned in the past.

AvgCamPro, Slow Shutter, Filterstorm, Snapseed, photo fx, Snapseed, Facetune, VSCOcam, and PhotoStudio are some of my favorite photo taking and editing apps.

Oh and buy Hipstamatic and all the films and lenses cause it takes amazing photos too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

noirstronaut posted:

Camera+ is good the same way [any overrated thing] is good.
When I had an iPhone my goto camera was Camera+, It was simple to use. I was moving towards Laminar Pro. Occasionally using Camera Awesome, VSCOcam and Perfectly Clear. Try them all find the one that fits best. And be happy that you're not living in the hellscape that is Android Cameras like I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

ChetReckless posted:

Maybe it's different in other countries, but I'm in Canada and there's a Weather Underground logo in the forecast section. I think you can see it in the screenshots on the App page.

I actually re-downloaded the app to check out of curiosity (I've been using BeWeather) and I notice Yahoo Weather has prominent ads now. Booooo Yahoo Weather.

That is really weird, I use yahoo weather and have never seen s single ad on it.

ChetReckless posted:

That's weird, I have been using yahoo weather for a while and have never seen a single ad on it.