Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
When I think about it more, it's one of those things that could be "fun" if Doctor Who wasn't so goddamn long. Like, if the revival was only two series it may be a kind of silly way to spend a weekend, but it's not really interesting enough of an idea to do it with 5-8 seasons + specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jsor posted:

When I think about it more, it's one of those things that could be "fun" if Doctor Who wasn't so goddamn long. Like, if the revival was only two series it may be a kind of silly way to spend a weekend, but it's not really interesting enough of an idea to do it with 5-8 seasons + specials.

And even then, it would only work for somebody already entirely familiar with the episodes who had seen them in the original order etc.

So I guess Oxx is just looking for an excuse to rewatch all that Doctor Who because he's such a huge fan of the show now :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
How would you even watch The Big Bang like that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

How would you even watch The Big Bang like that?

You'd have to watch all the "modern" day scenes directly after The 11th Hour, and all the stonehenge stuff before the Fires of Pompeii! :lol:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

So Occ, for whatever reason, would like this thread's take on what it would be like to watch the Doctor Who revival chronologically - as in, chronological to the time period of each episode. So Fires of Pompeii et al would be near the beginning, and Utopia would be waaaay at the end.

Answer as vaguely or sincerely as you want, it's a dumbass question if you ask me

I have the only correct answer

What would it be like? Complicated

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

I have the only correct answer

What would it be like? Complicated

I suppose we could drop it into a Crack to close it v:shobon:v

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I guess you'd start with Terminus, then that bit of Pandorica Opens where they see the cliff with Hello Sweetie on it? Then Hide (for about 10 seconds), then City of Death...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I guess you'd start with Terminus, then that bit of Pandorica Opens where they see the cliff with Hello Sweetie on it? Then Hide (for about 10 seconds), then City of Death...

You've forgotten The Runaway Bride

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is a very silly idea.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Someone posted this timeline thing a while back. It goes from the very start of the show up until season 7 of the revival. You can just select the revival doctors to see their bits.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131119-doctor-who-travels-through-time

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

This is a very silly idea.

So what you're saying is...the Master is behind this?!?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Someone posted this timeline thing a while back. It goes from the very start of the show up until season 7 of the revival. You can just select the revival doctors to see their bits.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131119-doctor-who-travels-through-time

Jesus loving Christ.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

So what you're saying is...the Master is behind this?!?

Or possibly John Cleese.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Some episodes would be absurdly funny like this, like Blink or Time Heist.

E: Also, inserting random clips from the tail end of Name of the Doctor all over.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 8, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

It didn't hit me at first. And then it did. :asoiaf:

If there ever was a nerd out there (I know there is somewhere) who could write a script that would play all the relevant parts of the episodes in the proper chronological order, then so help me I would do it. Hopefully they would shuffle the temporal conflicts for max entertainment rather then immense confusion but i'll accept what I could get.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would be pretty easy if you could crowdsource minute/second (or, preferably, exact frame) data on the time periods certain things start or end. Writing a script to do that is easy, it's getting the data that's hard. That BBC thing goes part of the way there, but not quite at the resolution needed.

E: Now I'm imagining all of the scenes in a row of the Doctor asking the companion where they want to go.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 8, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the very end would actually be Listen, which might work out OK.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the very end would actually be Listen, which might work out OK.

Utopia should take place after Listen, since there was still at least one star left in Listen.

Edit: And when I say should, I don't mean it at all because the whole thing is really an intensely silly idea that would be utterly nonsensical to watch.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There were meant to be no other people left alive in Listen though?

To be fair if you just go by what Occ's already seen you mostly just get strangely ordered episodes and a few random out of place scenes. It's only when you get into Moffat's tenure that you start getting episodes shattered into incomprehensible fragments.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There were meant to be no other people left alive in Listen though?

Well the Doctor sure as hell wasn't going to pop back to the surviving humans and risk running into the Master and his own fried TARDIS. So maybe he just assumed those hiding aliens were hanging out at the last star and didn't know the humans had found a cold rock hanging in space they could throw up a shield around to survive just a little longer.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It would only really work with most of the River episodes. And even then, it would still be nonsensical as Hell.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It would only really work with most of the River episodes. And even then, it would still be nonsensical as Hell.

I'm one of those rare unicorns who actually likes River and I have in fact watched all of her episodes in the order of her timeline and it actually holds together pretty well. It's just about the only time you can get something interesting from watching episodes out of broadcast order. Of course, River's timeline order is different to chronological order, that would still be pretty hosed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm one of those rare unicorns who actually likes River and I have in fact watched all of her episodes in the order of her timeline and it actually holds together pretty well. It's just about the only time you can get something interesting from watching episodes out of broadcast order. Of course, River's timeline order is different to chronological order, that would still be pretty hosed.

River's fine. I may try it one of these days. Chronological for River actually working is surprising to me. It seemed to me that it'd just fall apart after series five.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I guess that's what triggered this absurd question.

The thing with Doctor Who fandom is you know that someone has tried this...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jsor posted:

Also, do I need to have The Wedding of River Song running on loop in the background while watching it this way?

Whatever part of the whole process you've reached at the time, immediately switch to The Wedding of River Song at 5:02 PM on Friday.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I guess that's what triggered this absurd question.

The thing with Doctor Who fandom is you know that someone has tried this...

No, what triggered it is that Occ tried watching Lost in chronological order and then thought "hm, this is pretty good, though I only like Lost in the first place because I have the insanity of a manatee. This same manatee-insanity prompts me to enlist Oxxidation to ask the Doctor Who megathread if the revival, too, would be better chronologically, despite spending half of its runtime helmed by the biggest Time rear end in a top hat this side of Homestuck's creator."

At which point I drop the whole mess on your laps and watch what predictably unfolds.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

River's fine. I may try it one of these days. Chronological for River actually working is surprising to me. It seemed to me that it'd just fall apart after series five.

I still had the order I worked out lying around in a txt file so here it is in case you do (or anyone else does):

A Good Man Goes to War
(The Impossible Astronaut)
(Day of the Moon)
Let's Kill Hitler
Closing Time (last few minutes)
The Wedding of River Song
Bad Night/First Night/Last Night
(First Night/Last Night)
(A Good Man Goes to War)
The Impossible Astronaut
Day of the Moon
The Pandorica Opens
The Big Bang
The Time of the Angels
Flesh and Stone
(The Wedding of River Song)
The Angels Take Manhattan
(Last Night)
Silence in the Library
The Forest of the Dead
The Name of the Doctor

Ones in brackets are for episodes where she's in it twice (or three times, thanks Last Night) over but I wasn't crazy enough to rewatch entire episodes just for that so I just picked one spot to watch them in. I have no idea why (The Wedding of River Song) is where it is but I'm guessing there's a bit I forgot or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

No, what triggered it is that Occ tried watching Lost in chronological order and then thought "hm, this is pretty good, though I only like Lost in the first place because I have the insanity of a manatee. This same manatee-insanity prompts me to enlist Oxxidation to ask the Doctor Who megathread if the revival, too, would be better chronologically, despite spending half of its runtime helmed by the biggest Time rear end in a top hat this side of Homestuck's creator."

At which point I drop the whole mess on your laps and watch what predictably unfolds.

Can I ask

How the hell did he get out of Homestuck if he's such an avid fan of Lost

The Jane Dirk Jake stuff was pretty dire but it never got as bad as

Wait it was the Gigapause wasn't it- that gave him the time to break free

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In un-chronological related matters, is there ANYBODY who actually liked Kill the Moon? Outside of all the stuff that happens between Clara and the Doctor after the main storyline is resolved?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astroman posted:

I think that's for weaksauce fans. Go big or go home--watch ALL of both series in chronological order. :colbert:

Time isn't a straight linear path from one end to the other. Multiple timelines mean it's better to consider it as a surface, where you can see all different paths at once.

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-XqZmLhOCY

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

In un-chronological related matters, is there ANYBODY who actually liked Kill the Moon? Outside of all the stuff that happens between Clara and the Doctor after the main storyline is resolved?

I enjoyed it but only because I just loved the concept of the moon being an egg with a creature growing inside it, despite it making absolutely no sense and nothing about the episode being actually objectively good. So I have no arguments for trying to convince anyone else it was an enjoyable episode, it was a purely personal reaction. I'm pretty sure it has to do with having watched (the old/proper version) of Doctor Dolittle on repeat as a child. It just appealed to the same sense of wonder as everything in that movie does.

ETA: Talking about Doctor Dolittle in the Doctor Who thread means I'm obliged to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ8MZzJFZIE

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't mind it. You're right in that it's easily the best part of the episode, and that the rest of the story's pretty easy to hate for pretty good reasons, but I enjoyed it. It wasn't a good episode, and its faults would never be overcome by its strong points, but I liked what it was trying to do.

The same cannot be said about Forest of the Night.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of River chronologically, if anyone hasn't gone back and rewatched the Library episodes since we got the rest of her story, do it now, it's so much more affecting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well, Phil Sandifer loved it.

And I quite like it, too! The Hinchcliff-esque opening is Not Bad, Courtney's great fun, anyone who actually complains about the science is a Dumb Wrong Idiot Not Worth Listening To, and though whether it "stuck the landing" on navigating the abortion subtext properly, I think the effort it made in doing so was commendable. Most of all, though, the first 40 minutes make the last 5 minutes even better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It really is an episode for me where in isolation it's not good, but in the context of everything around it/associated with it, it is quite good. Forest of the Night, by comparison, is bad by itself and as part of the greater whole.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd agree with you about the science if an attempt had not been made to explain anything, because "it's an egg!" was clearly supposed to make it all perfectly clear and instead raised more questions than it answered.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

I'd agree with you about the science if an attempt had not been made to explain anything, because "it's an egg!" was clearly supposed to make it all perfectly clear and instead raised more questions than it answered.

uuuugh

uuuuuuugh

"Why is the moon growing"

"Because the moon's an egg and it's gestating".

There. That's pretty goddamn clear. Any further "questions" raised are... they're meaningless. They're fan-wank. They're an attempt to take an outrageous, but thoroughly intended, counter-factual premise, and rationalize it. Make thematic logic subservient to the real-world laws of physics.

It's a line of thinking that's totally without merit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re: Watching the Revivial in Chronological Order:

No. Don't do this. It's a bad idea because, unlike Lost, Doctor Who is a real time travel show, so watching it in strict chronological order is meaningless.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

I remember really liking it, actually. I thought it gave Capaldi some great defining Twelfth Doctor moments that I felt nailed what his character is like, and I can't recall anything that really bothered me other than the "whoops it laid another egg when you weren't looking" bit near the end. I haven't seen it since it aired, though, so my opinion might change on rewatch, but my first impressions on it were positive, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jng2058 posted:

Re: Watching the Revivial in Chronological Order:

No. Don't do this. It's a bad idea because, unlike Lost, Doctor Who is a real time travel show, so watching it in strict chronological order is meaningless.

Lost has a pretty significant amount of time travel in it.

It's still a really, really dumb idea, for both shows.

• Locked thread