Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Some arsehole hit my car and left a lovely white streak of their paint over my wheel arch, and scuffed the topcoat all to gently caress for a nice 20cm or so streak. The street is plenty wide enough, it wasn't on a corner or driveway, but some fuckwit still manages to gift me a bunch of lovely looking white paint and yet another thing to fix. They probably came off worse judging by the paint left, and it's not like it's a new car, but it still fucks me right off.

No note or anything of course, even an anonymous "sorry, I hosed up" would have helped.

This is why we can't have nice things. I don't think i could bring myself to buy a new car knowing some oval office is going to door it or clip it or use it as a shelf in a parking lot within a month. I would love to remove the rub rails on my cars, but they've saved them from damage a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

That's a really lovely design for a parking garage. Those who want to crow about, "they should have watched where there were going" may want to consider that there could have been another car our people crushed under that white Toyota.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The poor parking deck design and the driver being an inattentive or panicky moron are not mutually exclusive.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Powershift posted:

This is why we can't have nice things. I don't think i could bring myself to buy a new car knowing some oval office is going to door it or clip it or use it as a shelf in a parking lot within a month. I would love to remove the rub rails on my cars, but they've saved them from damage a few times.

A friend of mine used to live in a fairly expensive apartment in Long Beach with "secure" parking. About a month after his GSXR was stolen, the FZR he replaced it with was vandalized by someone playing tic-tac-toe on his fuel tank. He moved within a couple of weeks.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

You know this person is going to try to put the blame on the garage for either not putting up a warning sign, not reinforcing the fence enough, or some BS like that.

From comments on Reddit, that fence is an obvious building code violation, as fences around vehicular traffic must be able to withstand a simple hit like that. In similar garages you would find a knee-high concrete wall or tightly-wrapped steel cables in the place of that pedestrian fence.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Flint Ironstag posted:

A friend of mine used to live in a fairly expensive apartment in Long Beach with "secure" parking. About a month after his GSXR was stolen, the FZR he replaced it with was vandalized by someone playing tic-tac-toe on his fuel tank. He moved within a couple of weeks.

At least you can possibly get money from mom and dad if you figure out who did it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

That's a really lovely design for a parking garage. Those who want to crow about, "they should have watched where there were going" may want to consider that there could have been another car our people crushed under that white Toyota.

The person who put that image online wound up taking it because they had gone through that exact spot a few seconds before.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zip tied on plate brings it all together

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Couldn't get a photo of it because we aren't allowed to touch our phones here period while driving and traffic cleared up right when I got there. A section of I35 got shutdown briefly because an 18 wheeler tapped the back of one of those junk trucks that are always taking anything ferrous or copper to the metal buyers and the load dumped all across the highway like a scrap piñata.

Police and fire cleared it incredibly quickly but I always wondered what would happen if one of those trucks were to get bumped. Normally the only things holding the load on is twine and gravity.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

PCOS Bill posted:

Zip tied on plate brings it all together

There used to be (for a while, anyway) a white Hyundai Sonata around that was missing both the front and rear bumper covers, and the driver's side was dented and scraped to poo poo, with both front and back out-of-state (I think Florida) license plates ziptied onto the bumpers

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

First snowstorm of the year while driving to work and I saw more than enough stupidity in my two mile drive to work. Two things stand out. The first is the late 90s CRV I was behind, the rear lights were on but covered with snow so I could barely see them, plus they were going between too fast for conditions and unnecessarily slow. The second was coming down a hill to a stop sign and almost getting rear-ended by a Hyundai Sonata. I looked in my rearview and saw that they weren't going to stop in time but there was nothing I could do. Lucky for me he pulled into the opposite lane and ended up in the intersection nose of his car a good bit in front of mine.

I always say I would completely support legally required snow tires in the winter but then I think it would just cause these dip shits to crash going even faster.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A guy I used to work with posted an image on Facebook today complaining that he had ended up with a speeding ticket and a parking fine in the same day, stating that it wasn't even an excess speed.

How fast was he going? 54 in a 40 zone. Not excess speed indeed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's less than 15 over it's not really a huge amount. He was pretty much going the slowest you could drive and still potentially get a ticket. I'd call 25 over excessive.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

revmoo posted:

It's less than 15 over it's not really a huge amount. He was pretty much going the slowest you could drive and still potentially get a ticket. I'd call 25 over excessive.

I should point out this is in the United Kingdom. Automated speed cameras allow you to travel 10% over the limit with an additional 2mph on top of that, so you can go by a speed camera in a 40 zone at 46mph without getting caught. Same applies if it was a 20mph zone, you can do up to 24mph and you're ok.

Plus bear in mind that his speedo would over read and he probably thought he was doing ~58mph in a 40 zone. Pretty stupid thing to do regardless of opinions of speed and safety.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will say that if it were one of those roads where it's been a 60 limit since a limit existed, and they've just decided to knock it down to 40 and slap a camera on it, I'd completely understand him being a bit pissed off. I've nearly been caught out a couple of times by that.

Either way, I've always felt the same way about cameras. A copper stops you and tells you you're being a dick, you'll quite possibly be somewhat meek and feel contrition. A bit of paper comes through your letterbox a week and a half later? It just annoys you.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have literally never seen a speed camera or red light camera in my entire life somehow. Thank god.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

I will say that if it were one of those roads where it's been a 60 limit since a limit existed, and they've just decided to knock it down to 40 and slap a camera on it, I'd completely understand him being a bit pissed off. I've nearly been caught out a couple of times by that.

Either way, I've always felt the same way about cameras. A copper stops you and tells you you're being a dick, you'll quite possibly be somewhat meek and feel contrition. A bit of paper comes through your letterbox a week and a half later? It just annoys you.

Oh don't get me wrong, I dislike arbitrary speed limits as well, and I particularly dislike automated systems that cannot look at a situation in context. However driving through an area with speed camera signs up everywhere at a speed that you know will get you fined if you get caught is really plain dumb.

revmoo posted:

I have literally never seen a speed camera or red light camera in my entire life somehow. Thank god.

There is literally one speed camera in my town, right next to a school (where they should be frankly). Yet dumbasses still manage to get caught.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

They're extra terrible in the US.

Typically the cameras are run by a third-party private company, and they issue "citations" through the mail. The process to contest them requires you pay them half of the fine up front so you can access a private arbitrator who is an employee of the same company that stands to profit if they find you guilty. On the upside they are considered "civil" violations so you can basically ignore them with impunity - worst case scenario is they try to turn you into some bottom-feeding debt collector that can be brushed aside with a debt validation letter.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

They're extra terrible in the US.

Typically the cameras are run by a third-party private company, and they issue "citations" through the mail. The process to contest them requires you pay them half of the fine up front so you can access a private arbitrator who is an employee of the same company that stands to profit if they find you guilty. On the upside they are considered "civil" violations so you can basically ignore them with impunity - worst case scenario is they try to turn you into some bottom-feeding debt collector that can be brushed aside with a debt validation letter.

I'm not seeing how tickets can be ignored or brushed aside. Once they are forwarded to a collection agency, which the majority of municipalities do, it will impact your credit score negatively. What is a debt validation letter and how would it help?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Because they won't be "tickets" in that sense. It's likely the same as the difference between someone calling the police because you trespassed, or sending you an invoice for the use of their land for the time you were on it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Our city uses a private company to do parking tickets it's all sorts of hosed up. But I had a fat stack of tickets from parking in /legal/ spaces downtown by the university a while back. Someone mentioned that there was a news story about them getting class-action sued so I made use of the really cool company I was working for at the time to search their news database (kind like LexisNexis) for mention of the story and then called up the lawyer. Got like 50 bucks back out of the whole deal like 5 years later.

It's still utter and total bullshit for a private company to be authorized by the government to write fines. That's rotten on the surface and upon deeper inspection. Hard to believe that it happens at all, but it does.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I limit myself to +5 on surface streets, +10 on the highways. I have really slowed down my driving a lot lately, I find it is just easier and more relaxing to drive closer to the speed limit in heavy traffic. On surface streets with constant traffic lights speeding just means sitting at the next red longer, and trying to weave on the highway is just an exercise in accelerating hard through the gap only to meet the next wall of truckers/grandpas/prius drivers moving slow in rolling roadblock formation. I do believe that if people could just drive a consistent speed the whole driving experience would be 10x better so I could set my cruise control at 65 and not worry about a bro truck rolling up behind me at 90mph, so I am supportive of speeding ticket cameras so long as they don't try to scam people.

That said, I think my number one pet peeve these days are drivers who choose to pass a long line of cars by using the right lane. For example, on the interstate it's quite common to have a truck in the right lane, and 10 cars behind a Prius taking 10 minutes to pass the truck, the gap in the right lane is usually not big enough to warrant switching lanes so most drivers just sit in the left lane patiently waiting there to chance flip off the Prius driver pass the truck and some rear end in a top hat will almost always come careening down the right lane to cut off everyone in the left lane causing a chain of brake lights. Personally, I think the right thing to do is to move to the right lane when you notice a backup in the left lane, just bump the cruise control down and wait for the clog to release itself then pass the truck using minimal time to block the left lane. But naturally, much like zipper merging, my idea might be good in theory but is far to crazy to work in reality. I also seem to be noticing a lot more drivers who tailgate in the left lane with unbelievably bright headlights. Maybe HID adjustment just sucks these days but I my last road trip I remember quite a few assholes who would sit behind people just flashing from low to high constantly. . .

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

I limit myself to +5 on surface streets, +10 on the highways...

I don't know where you live, but in Massachusetts +10 on surface streets and +15 on the highway is often flow of traffic. Massachusetts likes to set lots of really low speed limits. Fortunately it would be very unusual to get pulled over for 10 over on a surface street (unless it's 25 or 30 mph limit) or 15 over on the highway. I've driven this way the entire time I've lived around here and the only times I've been pulled over have been for going above those limits. Everyone slows down if they see a cop, but I've seen cops ignore people doing 75 in a 55.

There are long segments of the biggest highways in Massachusetts with 55 mph limits, and even 45 in a few places.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have been tailgated by two state troopers on the mass pike while waiting for some rear end in a top hat to stop blocking the left lane. I was doing 80.

They didn't give a single poo poo, I moved out of the way and they took off as soon as everyone else was out of the way too. I've seen state police doing 100-120 in the left lane on the pike with no lights on more times than I can remember.

The ones that patrol the pike did see fit to pull me over and award me two inspection/exhaust tickets last year, however, mostly because I was driving a lovely looking car late at night and it was an excuse to pull me over and check if I was drunk.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I commute 30 miles twice a day on the Mass Pike and MSP are some of the most lenient when it comes to speeding fines for a lot of states I've driven through. As long as you're not being a complete and total rear end in a top hat they tend to look the other way. I've had a bunch of moments like the poster above, doing 80 in the left lane and having a MSP officer come up behind me. Move out of the lane and they go by without a second glance.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I try to keep it to (Posted Speed * 2) - 5 but it doesn't always work.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know where you live, but in Massachusetts +10 on surface streets and +15 on the highway is often flow of traffic. Massachusetts likes to set lots of really low speed limits. Fortunately it would be very unusual to get pulled over for 10 over on a surface street (unless it's 25 or 30 mph limit) or 15 over on the highway. I've driven this way the entire time I've lived around here and the only times I've been pulled over have been for going above those limits. Everyone slows down if they see a cop, but I've seen cops ignore people doing 75 in a 55.

There are long segments of the biggest highways in Massachusetts with 55 mph limits, and even 45 in a few places.

Unlike you, I live in a state with well designed and maintained roads where the cops actually do their jobs. :haw: The roads are well laid since it's a barren wasteland with too much extra space, rush hour lasts 20 minutes, and the largest snowstorms usually deposit only about 6" which never creates pot holes. Despite all that, I still hate Kansas.

kastein posted:

The ones that patrol the pike did see fit to pull me over and award me two inspection/exhaust tickets last year, however, mostly because I was driving a lovely looking car late at night and it was an excuse to pull me over and check if I was drunk.

Let's be honest, if I saw your toilet Jeep rolling down the road I would ticket the poo poo out of that rolling road hazard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

Am I misunderstanding what you've written, or is this :staredog: material?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm trying to imagine some jackass doing 215 km/h on Highway 1 here, and the resulting image in my mind of the bits stuck in the back of some semi-trailer that continues on, oblivious, is pretty funny.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I tend to stick to ~8 mph or 5% over, whichever is faster. Of course, my speedo reads 5% slow, so it's really 10% over by the gauge!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Waiting for a goon from Victoria to chime in
I'm glad I live in Western Australia. In Victoria you'll get a fine for going 3km/hr over, $185 and 1 demerit point
In WA they're not bothered with 5km/hr over, and if they were, it's $60 and no points on your licence. E: a penalty unit here went up from $50 to $60 in December I think.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 10, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

Waiting for a goon from Victoria to chime in
I'm glad I live in Western Australia. In Victoria you'll get a fine for going 3km/hr over.
In WA they're not bothered with 5km/hr over, and if they were, it's $50 and no points on your licence.

In NZ they've said any amount over will result in a ticket.

In practice it seems 5km/h over is still pretty safe, and I think you'd have a reasonable chance of challenging anything under that given none of this equipment is as accurate as it is made out to be

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I go the flow of traffic if I am in the middle, or 5 over if I am in the front. :smug:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

In NZ they've said any amount over will result in a ticket.

In practice it seems 5km/h over is still pretty safe, and I think you'd have a reasonable chance of challenging anything under that given none of this equipment is as accurate as it is made out to be

Ask Victorians though. As I said, usually safe here in WA too, but people get fines for 2-3km/hr over in Vic all the time. That's because they get a $185 fine an a demerit point for 0-9km/hr over. I suppose it's worth their while to bust them. But for $50-60 and no points in WA, then it's not worth their trouble. gently caress Victoria.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Let's be honest, if I saw your toilet Jeep rolling down the road I would ticket the poo poo out of that rolling road hazard.

Oh believe me, that thing had a dozen things wrong with them, but none of them affected my ability to stop and turn, just my ability to go :v:

The one that really pissed me off was the exhaust ticket, actually, since I'd had that exhaust for like a year, passed inspection with it, no one else had ever cared. In fact I'm pretty sure the guy heard my tires and thought it was the exhaust (it was the same cop who wrote me an inspection ticket a while before, with the same exhaust, before I got those tires.) Since the loving piece of poo poo (the jeep, not the cop) continued to be a black cloud over my head for months after that, continually breaking something else that would fail my inspection every time I fixed the previous broken thing, I learned to drive alongside the trailer tires of a semi truck while passing through his patrol area if I was commuting late... because the noise is assumed to be coming from the truck. Worked like a charm.

Yes, I kept a very close eye on traffic ahead and didn't cockblock truckers trying to get by slow drivers or nearly get sideswiped while doing this. Truckers don't really know what to think when someone with mass plates sets them up for a pass by keeping other cars out of the way and high beams them when they're clear, either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Michael Scott posted:

I'm not seeing how tickets can be ignored or brushed aside.

Because a private company cannot suspend your license and has no real legal authority. My wife got a school zone speeding camera ticket on a Saturday when school was not in session - do you think I should have paid it, or paid to enter into a rigged "adjudication session" that almost undoubtedly would have resulted in a ruling in their favor?

Michael Scott posted:

Once they are forwarded to a collection agency, which the majority of municipalities do, it will impact your credit score negatively. What is a debt validation letter and how would it help?

Debt collectors must be able to prove that debt they are collecting is valid, otherwise anyone with your social security number could claim you owe them money and turn you into collections. The "civil violations" generated generally don't pass the smell test and aren't worth the time or effort to go after people who don't pay them in court, and collections agencies typically won't run the risk of being sued by reporting uncollectable debt to the credit bureaus.

The violations generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on - there's a reason why they need a rigged, private kangaroo court to enforce them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Seems really weird that private companies run speed cameras over there. Everything in the post above is true. The only private fines you could get in Australia are parking fines, and all the above comes into it. It's hard for them to prove you owe a debt, so there's nothing they can do really except sue for damages. Which is why they will tow or clamp to get you a pay up. Sending a fine gets them nowhere because they have no real proof a car owner committed an 'offence'.
Completely different to when a government council, shire, state or other sends you a fine, (where you have to generally prove innocence and they can hold a car owner responsible even if they weren't driving a car because of government powers)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Unlike you, I live in a state with well designed and maintained roads where the cops actually do their jobs. :haw:

What part of us *not* passing the road repair funding makes you think poo poo is well maintained here? :P

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Am I misunderstanding what you've written, or is this :staredog: material?

I live in PA. The highways are generally 50MPH or 55MPH unless you're on an interstate/the turnpike. 95 is just barely passing people when it isn't time for traffic to back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

5% over, whichever is faster. Of course, my speedo reads 5% slow, so it's really 10% over by the gauge!

That math doesn't work out for a non-obvious reason, but it's close enough.