Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You know what the aftermath of this event that was "exactly like Ferguson" was? Two kids were arrested, no one was shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Torrannor posted:

I think he was arguing that the police stopped everybody from going into the mall while the looting/robbing was going on, and that it was just for the time they needed to "disperse the crowd and make arrests".

I think he's lying about that and would like proof.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think police action against a mainly black crowd of poor youths is inseparable from racism and insisting it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT is an almost unbelievably naive position to hold

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

I think he's lying about that and would like proof.
Shouldn't it be up to you to post these "no blacks allowed" signs? What do you want me to do, go over there and take some pictures of random black people? But how could you know I wasn't lying and taken those pictures in some other mall?

You are arguing that a guy that has (twice now) said he wants many more black (and other) immigrants to come to his country is racist based on... what exactly? The fact I believe that the police should be allowed to cordon off an area while a riot is taking place?

icantfindaname posted:

I think police action against a mainly black crowd of poor youths is inseparable from racism and insisting it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT is an almost unbelievably naive position to hold
You might argue that there is a reason why the crowd doing the looting was mostly black, that is an entirely different kettle of fish. There are of course reasons for it but the origins of Lisbon's slums were completely different from the origins of slums in the US.
My argument is that whatever the reason why a crowd is looting a place or the reason for the particular racial composition of that crowd once a riot is taking place you can't just not call the police and do nothing which is what you are arguing for.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 8, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

icantfindaname posted:

So what should the police have done, then? Tell me? Let the looting go on because the youth are black?

EDIT: or whatever it was that happened, I'm not Portuguese nor do I know what happened at said mall. But if your point is "police arresting two youth because they are black is racist" then I don't know what the alternative course of action was except a hands off approach where you just let the chips fall where they may. Which is something police are supposed to prevent.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think there is something structurally racist about the situation of a bunch of policemen wailing on a group of rioting black youths (not on its own, necessarily, but in the context of our societies). Nonetheless, I'm not really sure what the gently caress our society is supposed to do when people start rioting, beating people up and breaking poo poo apart from arrest the people doing it. What other response is there for the authorities? Nobody has yet suggested an alternative.

The only one I can think of is 'join in', and I think we'll all be waiting a long time if we expect the police force to be the 'vanguard party' of the revolution.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

MeLKoR posted:

You are commenting on an event you know nothing about.

To play the race card you don't need to be informed or to argue your case. You just play it, you just say "that's racist". The burden of proof is on the side accused of racism.

Those are the rules of the game.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Europe is exactly like the us

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

eightpole posted:

Europe is exactly like the us

Don't be silly. Europe is way more racist.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Usually this kind of stuff plays out a bit differently in Europe because the manner of migration of foreign persons was different from America (post-colonial migration vs slavery) and because there tends to be a deeper social safety net. On the other hand, because systematic racism was never as hardly ingrained domestically in as visible a way as American or Brazilian slavery (with some exceptions), European countries never developed the same kinds of responses when it comes to stuff like affirmative action and certain types of social integration etc. In the US it's way more commonplace for black people to obtain positions of high institutional significance than it is in the UK (for example). It's a very different experience again for countries without an extensive colonial history (say, Scandinavian countries) or countries which had exclusively European empires (Austria) and countries which were principally the victims of European empires (Balkans), and in all of these countries racism operates differently and is directed differently.

Saying the racism is exactly the same is dumb and ahistorical. There are quite a lot of interesting articles you can read, written by Black people who have lived and worked in America vs the UK (for example), explaining the very different ways in which racism and anti-racist agitation operate in the two countries.

Also, as the thread title explains, Europe is also undertaking a new expansion of racist and xenophobic sentiment, so people who draw a direct line from 19th century colonialism to the present are missing what has changed recently to explain the shift away from ideas of multiculturalism and cosmopolitanism in Europe. They're also not caused by all of the same belief systems (Christianity and pseudo-scientific post-Darwinian ideas of race are less of a factor, for example - though you could say the same in the US).

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 8, 2015

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
So this thread is now about which continent is more racist?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

I didn't try to compare the two in terms of more or less racist, but apparently yes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zombiepop posted:

Whenever something that can be construed as racially-charged happens in Europe, American racists are quick to jump on the opportunity to feel better about their racism by saying Europe is worst.

And vice-versa.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
drat that does seem stupid but whatever. Anyway If we count the swedish democrats as a fascist party this might be something for this thread to discuss: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Sweden-Democrats-reject-anti-Semitism-386751

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Just because something hasn't happened so far is not a proof that it won't happen. Nobody is worried about being wiped out, but it is quite conceivable that for instance the Swiss could become a minority in their own country without restricting immigration. You can also watch Macedonians slowly losing the majority in Macedonia to Albanians, although that's less an issue of immigration and more of a difference in fertility.

It's ok, because 'macedonia' isn't a thing

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KoldPT posted:

It's ok, because 'macedonia' isn't a thing

How so?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Macedonian is a made up identity that has to steal the iconography of a guy who died a million years ago in order to appear like they're better than the other slavs. Also, they really loving hate Greeks.

Well, I guess really hating greeks is a national identity, because at this point it either means you're from FYROM or German.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Even the loving flag that was used +2,000 years ago by Alexander creates a pissing contest between Greece and Macedonia.

E: Correction, it's the Vergina Sun on Macedonia's flag which causes it.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 8, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

KoldPT posted:

Macedonian is a made up identity that has to steal the iconography of a guy who died a million years ago in order to appear like they're better than the other slavs. Also, they really loving hate Greeks.

Well, I guess really hating greeks is a national identity, because at this point it either means you're from FYROM or German.

All nationalities are made up identities. :ssh:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KoldPT posted:

Dunno man, have never met a macedonian personally but from wiki I gather they were part of the Macedonian Kingdom and they have kept a distinct identity from their neighbors, why shouldn't they be allowed to keep calling themselves macedonians like they always have? Who cares what some morons in Macedonia think, the 2000 or so macedonians living in Greece aren't enough for Macedonia to pull a Crimea.

Besides, loving Macedonia isn't going to invade Greece. :cmon:

e: I can already picture the last NATO helicopters taking off from the rooftops of Thessaloniki as the macedonian armor moves in.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It's OK. When Greater Macedonia forms and conquers half the world, and then inevitably collapses, in 2000 years they can argue again about whether it was really Greater Greece or Greater Macedonia.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

KoldPT posted:

A hundred years ago, I'd probably have agreed with you. Today? Not really. Not when so many people were born and died of old age accepting Macedonian (Slav) as their identity.

Macedonian Slavs lived there ever since Slavs settled in the Balkans. Technically, what is now FYROM was a part of medieval Serbia and Bulgaria, as well as the Eastern Roman Empire, but eh. The new 'Macedonian' nationality emerged, like so many others, as a result of being hosed over by every neighbor and ruler they had. Historically, the Ottomans for obvious reasons, but then Muslim Albanians who used every surge of anti-Christian sentiment for a round of raids and pillage, then later the newly independent Greeks with their "nope, no Slavs in glorious Greek motherland", then Bulgarians with their "Y'all are Bulgarians now. excuse us while we burn down all your personal and historical documents", and then the post WW1 Serbian government that had its resources stretched too thin due to the whole 'got genocided' thing to handle Macedonian issues with non-hamfisted measures.

The whole Alex the Great glorification thing is a product of modern nationalist root-searching which got out of hand - a bit like US and the obnoxious amounts of Roman esthetic in early public buildings. While cringeworthy, obsession with mocking it is usually a good way to spot European not-racists.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, that Charlie Hebdo thread is really deserving its 'crap' rating. At least MIGF and TIC got probations out of it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I even took the time to rate it. And I thought marxistchat was the worst D&D trope.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Ok I'm sorry I just really like trolling FYROM people on the internet.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

my dad posted:

A hundred years ago, I'd probably have agreed with you. Today? Not really. Not when so many people were born and died of old age accepting Macedonian (Slav) as their identity.

Macedonian Slavs lived there ever since Slavs settled in the Balkans. Technically, what is now FYROM was a part of medieval Serbia and Bulgaria, as well as the Eastern Roman Empire, but eh. The new 'Macedonian' nationality emerged, like so many others, as a result of being hosed over by every neighbor and ruler they had. Historically, the Ottomans for obvious reasons, but then Muslim Albanians who used every surge of anti-Christian sentiment for a round of raids and pillage, then later the newly independent Greeks with their "nope, no Slavs in glorious Greek motherland", then Bulgarians with their "Y'all are Bulgarians now. excuse us while we burn down all your personal and historical documents", and then the post WW1 Serbian government that had its resources stretched too thin due to the whole 'got genocided' thing to handle Macedonian issues with non-hamfisted measures.

The whole Alex the Great glorification thing is a product of modern nationalist root-searching which got out of hand - a bit like US and the obnoxious amounts of Roman esthetic in early public buildings. While cringeworthy, obsession with mocking it is usually a good way to spot European not-racists.

If non-Balkan goons want a Balkan country to root for, pick Macedonia. Macedonians are good guys between much bigger and historically hostile neighbours. I actually feel some schadenfreude for Greece troubles because they forced Macedonians to take that demeaning FY in their name. Greeks, enjoy German dick like you gave Macedonians yours. :)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

Third Balkan goon chiming in to say Macedonians are chill guys you probably shouldn't bear ill-will towards.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo, that Charlie Hebdo thread is really deserving its 'crap' rating. At least MIGF and TIC got probations out of it.

What happened in the thread? I stopped reading on like page 4 when it looked like it was heading to some uncomfortable places

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

KomradeX posted:

What happened in the thread? I stopped reading on like page 4 when it looked like it was heading to some uncomfortable places

It hit bottom, but I don't exactly think it's been redeemed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KomradeX posted:

Cippalippus posted:

How do forest elves feel about burning wood in the winter? Forest elves and moderate muslims don't exist, the only real difference between the two groups is that Peter Jackson can make a movie about the former.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
People that literally cannot understand satire (and troll posts) came in in force.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo Mans we are largely on the same political side and we agree more often than we disagree but this is a crock of poo poo and you know it. What happened wasn't "a fight between two black guys", you can find two black (or white) guys fighting every day in Lisbon, what happened was a gathering of around 800 teens from slums neighboring the Vasco da Gama mall which then steamed the place. The police forbade more teens from continuing to enter the mall while they were trying to make arrests and disperse the crowd.

Jesus loving christ, any reason why you so thoroughly misrepresented what happened to the point where someone not familiar with the situation might think there are now "No Colored or Dogs Allowed" in one of Lisbon's malls? I was in Vasco da Gama just last month and believe it or not there were plenty of black people around doing their Christmas shopping.

:psyduck: that is 100% false. Vasco's security and owners went publicly to say that there was no looting, literally saying that the police story was false. They released the loving tapes and all you see is the first group of four people fleeing after attacking the other back kid in front of Continente, near the shopping carts.

Some stupid black kids got into a scuffle when they met outside of Continente, one of them hit the kids with a screwdriver in the back and fled while outside there was a meet, a social gathering, whose main characteristic were being black.

Since the police were informed that blacks had a fight inside the center and there were tons of blacks outside, they brought out riot gear and kicked everyone out by force without telling people to disperse peacefully.

They then blocked all access to the center to all blacks. The incident ocurred at around 2pm(?), they were still forbidding black people from entering at 9.pm.

It was racism, there's no other way to call it anything else. Blacks had a fight inside, there's blacks outside, ergo let's purge all blacks. And a scuffle of blacks turned into the black Visigoths pillaging Rome by the media.

You used to post endlessly about how the media is manipulative and almost evil, yet here we are :ironicat:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Crossposting:

my dad posted:

New far right coalition formed in Serbia. It's the usual suspects, Dveri and DSS (the party that used to be headed by Vojislav Koštunica, the guy who beat Milošević in the 2000 elections). They made a proclamation about their policies, it's the classics: anti-EU, pro-Serb-nationalism, pro-family, pro-church, et cetera... I don't think it's going to change anything (they don't have a lot of support), but at least it's nice to see DSS stop pretending they're not fascists at heart.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were no "black people not allowed" signs on the doorways because the police phisically blocked all acesses to the center with unidentified police officers who personally decided who could enter or not

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah that's rock bottom

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

You used to post endlessly about how the media is manipulative and almost evil, yet here we are :ironicat:

Well this is the part where I humbly admit that I based my entire post both in the TV news I saw the day it occurred and a cursory look at some newspaper articles of the time before posting. They were all consistent with each other as far as I could tell but if you could direct me to a news source where I can get the info you mentioned I'd be much obliged.

I remember some years ago something like you describe happened with a news story about a gang of blacks doing a mass robbery in Carcavelos beach that turned out to be reported completely out of proportion but that was fishy from the get go.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I apologize if I'm bringing one of the subjects of that thread here, but I'd like to ask the French regulars in this thread something, since I know very little about everyday stuff in France. Why is everyone talking about the murdered cartoonists as if they were racists? I mean, I understand the fear that this event is going to result in reprisals against Muslims, but I don't see an example of those cartoonists ever encouraging something like that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

my dad posted:

I apologize if I'm bringing one of the subjects of that thread here, but I'd like to ask the French regulars in this thread something, since I know very little about everyday stuff in France. Why is everyone talking about the murdered cartoonists as if they were racists? I mean, I understand the fear that this event is going to result in reprisals against Muslims, but I don't see an example of those cartoonists ever encouraging something like that.

I'm Belgian but Hara Kiri (CH's former name) and Charlie Hebdo are popular here as well. They're part of a thing that was way more popular decades ago but imagine them like MAD magazine or The Onion. they make fun of anyone and everyone (amongst others: various presidents, pretty much every major religion, lots of politicians).

People are talking about the cartoonists as if they were racists because yeah some of their satire was punching down on radical Islam and what have you. If you just google Charlie Hebdo without any context some of their covers might seem racist but they really were just people who gave 0 shits and if you complained that they were offensive they doubled down in their next issue just to troll you.

There's also one image of a black French politician depicted as a monkey but above it is written something that could be translated as "THIS IS WHAT THOSE RIGHT-WINGERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" because the FN had compared her to a monkey and thrown bananas at her and nonsense like that. Said black woman thanked them for pointing out how absurd FN is. But of course glancing over their material and being offended is easier than seeking context.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

The short and sweet is that people believing the CH staff was racist are either stupid or ignorant. Most probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

my dad posted:

The Danish paper where the other cartoon was posted was legitimately as racist as you can be and people assumed the same situation here.

• Locked thread