Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of annoying marketing gimmicks.

I've always disliked adverts that sink to saying their competitor is poo poo. On one hand you have the ones that just say "blah blah % better then the leading brand..." or "better then the other guys" or "better then the generic brand"

On the other, you have the ones that name a specific other product. Pepsi is probably the biggest offender with those commercials of Einstein or some other famous person wondering what soda drink, only for a little girl in his mind to pop up and say "Duh" and make him buy a Pepsi. Or whatever the crap it was. I just remember for a period every of their commercials pretty much boiled down to "COKE SUCKS DRINK PEPSI!" Where every Coke commercial was happy people drink coke or polar bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember Geico had a radio commercial where the gecko is going on about Virginia ham. I've eaten uncounted pounds of ham from rural farmer's markets and church fundraisers, and even helped cure the ham from a freshly-slaughtered pig, but neither I nor any other Virginian I've asked knows the difference between Virginia ham and other ham.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

N.N. Ashe posted:

I can only assume video game advertisers must have all been paid minimum wage and hated/had no clue about their products and were done secretly hiding them from any upper levels approvals. How else can you reasonably explain an industry wide failure to produce anything worthwhile. Like I can count all of the reasonably good video game ads on one hand and still have fingers left over.

Oddly enough for as terrible as the game was, the commercial for Metroid: Other M was really well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-fbN0uWPo

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I work for an insurance company that has a similar branding as Darkholds. It's a constant battle between marketing to the target market Ala the voucher program mentioned or trying to.throw out a big net like GEICO. as someone in sales it's infuriating to call the 1800# as a test that shows up on Springer and maury and get my own company. We market to people we don't want then complain when the people we get sucks.

Marketing is hard to do right for sure. But goddam are there some bone headed decisions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Geico had a radio commercial where the gecko is going on about Virginia ham. I've eaten uncounted pounds of ham from rural farmer's markets and church fundraisers, and even helped cure the ham from a freshly-slaughtered pig, but neither I nor any other Virginian I've asked knows the difference between Virginia ham and other ham.

According to a quick google search it's a style of curing ham that's done in Virginia so it would make sense if Virginians don't call it "Virginia ham"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm still mad at a guy I knew in high school for asking every. Single. Canadian. We met in Toronto about Canadian bacon.

Kennisiou
Jun 5, 2013
Does anyone here remember coasties? A few years back they must've paid out the rear end for advertising on blip, because for about half a year their ad played before every blip video I watched. They were colorful coasters that clipped onto the bottom of bottles, which is a neat idea if you're a neat-freak who has friends who don't care about not leaving rings on your furniture, since you can just clip the coaster onto their cups ahead of time and they'll probably be too lazy to take it off. It's a nice way to make sure your coasters actually get used instead of ignored.

This was not the crux of their advertising. This was not even mentioned.

What was the ad? "Are you tired of always throwing out half full bottles of water because nobody remembers whose they are? Slap a coastie on them! They're all different colors so everyone knows which one is theirs! You'll save so much money!" Just... really? Is this a problem for anyone? I don't live in that big a family, but I've got friends who do and from what I remember hanging with them kids all would, like, guard their stuff and always know which was theirs and never let someone else take it, even if it was something like a cup of tap water. Kids are possessive, especially when it comes to things their siblings might want or think is theirs. "great for parties! No more thrown out half-finished sodas?" I mean, when I'm at parties with my friends and people forget whose soda is whose someone usually just tells someone else it's probably theirs and they take it. I dunno maybe my friends and I are just gross slobs who don't care about spreading our nasty germs everywhere, but, like, you're at a party. You're probably already getting whatever they have if it's food-transferable.

The ad campaign just baffled me so much. Like they had a niche product for anal retentive people but tried to market it as a cost saving measure for people with big families or who throw lots of parties. It was such a bad ad and it played everywhere for months.

I googled it trying to find the ad/the company but the only ad I found is this one, which isn't that bad. http://vimeo.com/96814941

The company's site also doesn't exist any more, so I guess the terrible ads weren't very effective -- whoda thunk it?

Edit: I remember it also had a terrible synth keyboard part at the start, like they started and ended the commercial playing three awful, distonal synth keyboard notes, which made the whole thing seem kind of surreal and nightmarish with its awful music leading into a voice-over enthusiastically trying to sell you solutions to problems that don't exist, solutions that actually work for real problems that do exist that they're just totally ignoring.

Edit x2: oh god and the narrator was this obnoxious character with a name like "Harmony Bean" or "Chastity Bean" or something like that who said everything in this terrible, fake, thick Southern drawl, which made the ad even more unpleasant. And it's a huge pain in the rear end to find this stuff because apparently "coasties" is a slur used to describe wealthy Jewish girls from the East coast who go to midwest colleges (particularly Wisconsin Madison), so finding any info on the ads or products is impossible with all the results being returned that are just forum posts about how all these U Madison students are sick of "those drat coasties" getting mad at them for calling them coasties which is just... yeah, that's loving U Madison alright.

Kennisiou has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Jan 7, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Oxyclean posted:

I've always disliked adverts that sink to saying their competitor is poo poo. On one hand you have the ones that just say "blah blah % better then the leading brand..." or "better then the other guys" or "better then the generic brand"

On the other, you have the ones that name a specific other product. Pepsi is probably the biggest offender with those commercials of Einstein or some other famous person wondering what soda drink, only for a little girl in his mind to pop up and say "Duh" and make him buy a Pepsi. Or whatever the crap it was. I just remember for a period every of their commercials pretty much boiled down to "COKE SUCKS DRINK PEPSI!" Where every Coke commercial was happy people drink coke or polar bears.

Pepsi basically had to do this since coke had a strangle hold on the market. It wasn't enough to say "drink Pepsi" they really had to get people to stop drinking coke first. It's extra good because if coke makes a similar anti-Pepsi ad, it elevates Pepsi to the status of an equal.

The same thing happened with games in the 90s. Nintendo was so powerful they just ran positive ads. Sega was trying to claw every last sale from them, so their entire campaign was about being cooler than nintendo specifically .

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It's crazy often this happens in North America. I mean not only are you assaulted by commercial blocks every 10 minutes, you also have to watch Pizza Hut do brutal takedowns on another pizza chain. It's really uncomfortable when you come from a country where you can't outright name other companies.

Speaking of terrible U.S. commercials, around 2010-2011 on Memorial Day I saw a tv ad for what I think was U.S. oil and it had videos of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, burning World Trade Center and warfare spliced over a money counter that kept going up, while a gruff man said "EVERY TIME YOU BUY FOREIGN OIL, AMERICAS ENEMIES GETS STRONGER".

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Cell phones/laptops/tablets are so bad for this. There's one now that's just so blatant, the Surface tablet/laptop thing. The Surface side of the screen features a chorus of happy sounding people singing about how much they love their computer and all of its features, the Mac side of the screen features some dumb sounding idiot who doesn't even sing on key. It's also weird that they chose to have multiple people singing for the Surface, even though you only see one arm, like trying to subtly reinforce that the Surface is the popular choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_CrXh227Q

Ugh, god it's the worst. I guess Apple deserves it though, they kind of kicked it off with the Mac and PC guy commercials.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Maybe someone can answer this in this thread:
Why do companies like Boeing do commercials? It's not like I really have a choice when I book with Southwest and say "Well if you guys were flying Airbus I would fly with you, so I'll go with company 'x'."

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
What always bothers me is when I'm watching cable and I have to sit through ads for my cable company. It's like trying to sell me a sandwich that I'm already trying to eat.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

FreeMars posted:

What always bothers me is when I'm watching cable and I have to sit through ads for my cable company. It's like trying to sell me a sandwich that I'm already trying to eat.

I remember asking about this a lot when I was a kid because I really didn't get it. The answer I usually got was that if you had friends over watching TV, they would see the ads, and if they were unhappy with their provider the ads would help inform their decision about who else to choose.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I like it when a company names a competitor. It seems more confident to state you're better than coke than that weasely "leading brand" bullshit.

Oh you're better at getting stains out than brand x? Big deal. So is everyone else. I make a better detergent than a fake company that doesn't exist too.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Spergminer posted:

Speaking of terrible U.S. commercials, around 2010-2011 on Memorial Day I saw a tv ad for what I think was U.S. oil and it had videos of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, burning World Trade Center and warfare spliced over a money counter that kept going up, while a gruff man said "EVERY TIME YOU BUY FOREIGN OIL, AMERICAS ENEMIES GETS STRONGER".

I have to wonder at the logic that assumes the average American consumer also sits on the boards of Exxon, Sunoco, Chevron, etc. in their spare time and can dictate policy.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I have to wonder at the logic that assumes the average American consumer also sits on the boards of Exxon, Sunoco, Chevron, etc. in their spare time and can dictate policy.

What are you? A poor? :Guffaw: :Guffaw:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why the hell do i see commercials for SoCal Edison on tv? I have no choice in my power company so why are they advertising?

Similar with Dish tv commercials for the service I already have. Showing me new services makes sense, but not commercials telling me to sign up with Dish as a new customer. I can sort of see this one if they have open ad space they would rather fill with anything

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Jan 8, 2015

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Why isn't :guffaw: a smiley?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

swims posted:

Why isn't :guffaw: a smiley?

Seriously! loving poors.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Fauxtool posted:

why the hell do i see commercials for SoCal Edison on tv? I have no choice in my power company so why are they advertising?

Similar with Dish tv commercials for the service I already have. Showing me new services makes sense, but not commercials telling me to sign up with Dish as a new customer. I can sort of see this one if they have open ad space they would rather fill with anything

To combine both of your complaints, I used to get commercials for a competing cable company while I was with Comcast. That company was not available in my area, nor in any nearby area, because Comcast held a monopoly in my county and most if not all of the neighboring ones. Way to throw your ad money away, guys.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pepsi basically had to do this since coke had a strangle hold on the market. It wasn't enough to say "drink Pepsi" they really had to get people to stop drinking coke first. It's extra good because if coke makes a similar anti-Pepsi ad, it elevates Pepsi to the status of an equal.

The same thing happened with games in the 90s. Nintendo was so powerful they just ran positive ads. Sega was trying to claw every last sale from them, so their entire campaign was about being cooler than nintendo specifically .

Pepsi could start by actually making a product that tasted in any way as good as Coke does.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nutsngum posted:

Pepsi could start by actually making a product that tasted in any way as good as Coke does.

They taste the same.

And they're both bad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i heard that Sonic plays ads in areas with no location just to drum up buzz before they open one up.

They have been playing them in my area for 6+ years now and the nearest one is over an hour away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They taste the same.

And they're both bad.

Look at this guy and his wrong opinions.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They taste the same.

And they're both bad.

Pepsi tastes better than Coke.

And they're both bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

i heard that Sonic plays ads in areas with no location just to drum up buzz before they open one up.

They have been playing them in my area for 6+ years now and the nearest one is over an hour away.

This absolutely happens. The only Sonic in Virgina is about at the halfway point between Richmond and DC, a 3 hour drive, and Sonic ads air on every channel in DC. The next closest one is in Baltimore, about 2-3 hours away.

Still haven't opened a Sonic anywhere closer in the last 5 years though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sleeveless posted:

This is completely made up.

Yeah, EGM did an interview in the late 90s' with the guy that did the SNES Phalanx cover, and they said they brought in some confused old man and took a picture of him in a rocking chair.

It's actually a pretty good shump by the way. The x68000/Wii Ware version looks a bit nicer, but the SNES/GBA version has a better soundtrack.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking of badly aimed commercials, there's a brand of garbage chocolate (probably only European, not in the US) called Ritter Sport that has a commercial with people running around, riding karts, and it all seems to imply that really active and fit people love to munch on some chocolate inbetween kickflips and going biking in a muddy forest. It always strikes me as a really misfire way to push your product.

Their tagline is "Square. Easy. Delicious." I'd love to see the pitch meeting where a guy tries to convey how difficult other chocolate bars are.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Tell me why Boeing spends money on ads! There has to be a reason!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

davidspackage posted:

Speaking of badly aimed commercials, there's a brand of garbage chocolate (probably only European, not in the US) called Ritter Sport that has a commercial with people running around, riding karts, and it all seems to imply that really active and fit people love to munch on some chocolate inbetween kickflips and going biking in a muddy forest. It always strikes me as a really misfire way to push your product.

Their tagline is "Square. Easy. Delicious." I'd love to see the pitch meeting where a guy tries to convey how difficult other chocolate bars are.

Ritter Sport is marketed as a deluxe European chocolate in the US.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The North Tower posted:

The marketing team has an advertising budget and if they don't spend it all they won't get the same next year?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ritter Sport is marketed as a deluxe European chocolate in the US.

Well in that case, I'm deeply sorry you guys are being lied to like that.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Well in that case, I'm deeply sorry you guys are being lied to like that.

Compared to US chocolate it IS a deluxe chocolate from what I hear.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Ignite Memories posted:

They still include toys, you guys. When's the last time you've been to McDonald's? They still have the "toy of the month" displays and everything.

The purpose of the box is to be creepy in that likeable creepy woody toy sort of way and generate viral photos from people being like "woah look at this creepy box", while still appealing to kids who liked despicable me. It's actually working really loving well

they had mario figurines a while back and all creepy nerds swarmed mcdonalds

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The North Tower posted:

It's important to these companies that the public has a good image of them. That way, when a Boeing airplane crashes, you blame the airline and not Boeing. Not to mention that they're a huge military contractor. What do you think the Blue Angels are for? So you have a positive mental image of the government spending hundreds of billions of dollars on airplanes that will barely be used.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Pondex posted:

Compared to US chocolate it IS a deluxe chocolate from what I hear.

The U.S. is a big place and has plenty of good chocolates and chocolatiers. The grocery store chocolate is the stuff you are thinking of and yeah, it is pretty bland (hershey etc. ). That is where Ritter is played up as the "good" chocolate, because it is way better than Hershey's.

But it is available in every single Walgreens, so I don't know how people think that it is fancy highbrow stuff.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

they had mario figurines a while back and all creepy nerds swarmed mcdonalds

yeah because that wasn't something going on already

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I grew up in Germany and do not knock my Ritter Sport bars. They are head and shoulders above the generic Hershey bullshit, and they aren't ridiculously over priced like the Lindt stuff (when its not on sale). Granted, people doing flips has no impact for me with Ritter, its my childhood experience so there is that.

I get when they want to put out ads for something like a Sonic coming to town. I mean, they can't control the entire region for commercials a lot of times, so if the place is 2 hours away, its probably still in the same viewing region. What I DON'T get is when they don't do business in the entire state or something like that. I'm in central Iowa so I'll see commercials for stuff happening in Eastern Iowa maybe or something.

But why am I seeing commercials for places that don't even exist in the entire state of Iowa? Its so freakin weird. Insurance companies are the worst at this as well as restaurants and the like.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jastiger posted:

But why am I seeing commercials for places that don't even exist in the entire state of Iowa? Its so freakin weird. Insurance companies are the worst at this as well as restaurants and the like.

Advertisers can buy time from local stations, service providers like cable companies, or networks directly. For many companies, it's more cost effective for them to buy ads on a national network like ESPN for the demographic even if it means they're paying for airtime in areas they don't service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have no idea how it would work but wouldn't that also be a way to gauge if there's interest in an area?