Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh they're certainly believable, but a right pain in the arse.

I had to look up Shadrach, but it's a good example, lets look at some other names from the book of Daniel:
Meshach
Azariah\Abednego
Nebuchadnezzar
Belshazzar

Those were a pain to spell, and I would probably muck up the stresses if I tried to pronounce them, because I'm just not used to those combinations of phenomes.But I can tell them apart, there's a nice distinct rhythm and mouth-feel to each name.
vs

Skahaz mo Kandaq
Bhakaz zo Loraq
Draqaz
Hazzea
Dhazzar

which are basically anagrams.

Consistency and clarity in naming is something that pisses me off with a lot of fantasy, and with the Westerosi Gurm shits all over the competition in terms of names that feel mystical but still have some kind of internal logic to them. Maybe because he's deliberately riffing on Celtic and old English names, either it gives him a stronger base to work from or just makes it easier for me to grasp what he's doing.

Don't forget about the river flowing by Mereen that almost sounds like Skahaz mo Kandaq owns it. Also, there was at least one instance in my edition of ADWD where 'Skahaz' was spelled 'Shakaz' so not even the editor could get that poo poo straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Reznak Moe Szyslak

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

webmeister posted:

Reznak Moe Szyslak

A name I have used for an MMO character.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

PittTheElder posted:

A name I have used for an MMO character.

Lord Palmerston.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Punch Card posted:

Lord Palmerston.

Pitt the Elder.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

webmeister posted:

Reznak Moe Szyslak

I was gonna respond with something like Larrah Moeh Kurrley and then remembered that Blizzard already did that poo poo in Diablo 3.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

rydiafan posted:

I was gonna respond with something like Larrah Moeh Kurrley and then remembered that Blizzard already did that poo poo in Diablo 3.

Too late, Catelyn is assisted by three men of arms named Lharys, Moher, and Kurleket when she arrests Tyrion.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Lharys
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mohor
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Kurleket

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I take back everything good I've ever said about Martin or his books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kurleket was slain and replaced by Shempatis.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lycus posted:

Kurleket was slain and replaced by Shempatis.

No one cared about Kurleket Jojen.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I do. I always start my day with Bran flakes and a cuppa Jojen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

webmeister posted:

Reznak Moe Szyslak

Mhoney Mo' Mhoney.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Mhoney Mo' Mhoney.

Mo' Mhoney Mo' Phroblems.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

You should look up some Wade Giles versions of Chinese names, it's very much in the same vein as the latter in terms of readability and similarity (although even in pinyin the spelling is the same and just the tones are different).

I had a quick look at this, and then got sidetracked looking at Asian naming conventions and how different countries take different approaches when Anglacising (Americanising really) their names. fascinating stuff.

Do you know any good books on naming/transliteration? I feel I should educate myself, if only to better complain about Malazan.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

DeepQantas posted:

I do. I always start my day with Bran flakes and a cuppa Jojen.

And then you fix your hair in the Meera before you go out the Hodor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a quick look at this, and then got sidetracked looking at Asian naming conventions and how different countries take different approaches when Anglacising (Americanising really) their names. fascinating stuff.

Do you know any good books on naming/transliteration? I feel I should educate myself, if only to better complain about Malazan.

Sorry, I'm more aimed at history than linguistics specifically, I don't know any.

There's a subform of Ask/Tell called Science, Academics, and Languages and they should point you in the right direction though.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

computer parts posted:

Sorry, I'm more aimed at history than linguistics specifically, I don't know any.

There's a subform of Ask/Tell called Science, Academics, and Languages and they should point you in the right direction though.

There's a really cool podcast called History of English that may be of interest. Not quite the same thing, but it has a lot of good information about language development.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

The North Tower posted:

There's a really cool podcast called History of English that may be of interest. Not quite the same thing, but it has a lot of good information about language development.

The Kevin Stroud one? High five buddy. That podcast is good stuff if you like etymologies and detailed histroy of the Anglo-Saxons.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Current speculation on WOTW is that Jon actually goes to Hardhome to rescue the wildlings this season.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The Kevin Stroud one? High five buddy. That podcast is good stuff if you like etymologies and detailed histroy of the Anglo-Saxons.

That's the one--it really helps to have a background in the basics of geopolitics of the "middle" ages, as it is less history-focused. It's great to see some words get carried over from Indo-European to modern English, and see the comparable word in Hindi be so similar. This is basically how the study of this type of thing started--by looking at modern languages and finding similarities.

My completely under-educated hypothesis: 'Ma' is a very easy word for a baby to say (if they even mean to say a word), and because we're a narcissistic human race, we think that the baby is talking to it's mom instead of babbling nonsense or just generally asking for attention.

Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://historyofenglishpodcast.com

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

The North Tower posted:

My completely under-educated hypothesis: 'Ma' is a very easy word for a baby to say (if they even mean to say a word), and because we're a narcissistic human race, we think that the baby is talking to it's mom instead of babbling nonsense or just generally asking for attention.

Yeah, that's totally a legit linguistic theory that they teach you about in Ling101 (the only linguistics class I ever took).

Also, Rh'llor exonerated The Hound of the butcher boy's death when the literal flaming sword of justice snapped during the trial by combat. Not Guilty. Complain to the GRRM.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

TOOT BOOT posted:

Current speculation on WOTW is that Jon actually goes to Hardhome to rescue the wildlings this season.

Is that based on anything? Much as I'd love to see the horrors of Hardhome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Maarak posted:

It's not based on much. Harington says that there's a scene that took a month to film, so Watchers speculated that it's a high-action scene at Hardhome.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, that's totally a legit linguistic theory that they teach you about in Ling101 (the only linguistics class I ever took).

Really? :monocle:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Lycus posted:

It's not based on much. Harington says that there's a scene that took a month to film, so Watchers speculated that it's a high-action scene at Hardhome.

He says “There’s one scene for me which took a month to film. And it wasn’t even the whole thing, it was one section.”

It could easily be Jon's last chapter. We don't see all the fighting between the Watch and the wildlings but any "section" involving giants is going to be complicated to film. And they wouldn't have to end the episode at the same point where Jon's chapter ends.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 8, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Anecdotal evidence: My son is only slowly coming around to calling me "Pa" instead of "Ma". I have a big gently caress-off beard, son. I'm not your bloody ma!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maarak posted:

He said they spent a lot of money this season (which probably means CGI and battles) and that one of his scenes took like a month to film. Then there was a leaker on Reddit who said his friend was cast as an Other for a Hardhome scene in S5.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Anecdotal evidence: My son is only slowly coming around to calling me "Pa" instead of "Ma". I have a big gently caress-off beard, son. I'm not your bloody ma!

Goon's second word! :toot:

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

I'm too lazy to look up any details right now, but basically: In newborns, the larynx is further up in the throat, which restricts the movement of the tongue. The vast majority of consonants are formed by restricting airflow with your tongue in some way. Try forming some consonants while not moving your tongue from a neutral position and things should become pretty clear.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Rushputin posted:

I'm too lazy to look up any details right now, but basically: In newborns, the larynx is further up in the throat, which restricts the movement of the tongue. The vast majority of consonants are formed by restricting airflow with your tongue in some way. Try forming some consonants while not moving your tongue from a neutral position and things should become pretty clear.

My under-evaluated hypothesis has become a theory! Good work!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Grendels Dad posted:

I have a big gently caress-off beard, son.

So did your wife, the first time he saw her.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

You can improve a baby's language development by repeating back all those nonsense syllables they produce early on. This strengthens the hearing and speaking connectors in the brain. This is also why it tends to be easier for a young child to learn a language fluently, they actually hear parts of the language that adults generally filter out. So all that baby talk from parents that usually annoy others is actually helping. And of course, as said before, parents are going to hone in on any syllable that sounds like a word and reinforce that with repetition. Basically both are being classically conditioned in the early stages of language development.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've also read that some variant on "Ma" is a common synonym for "mother" in a surprising number of languages that are otherwise completely unrelated linguistically, which can't possibly be a coincidence. People everywhere assume their babies are talking about them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

loquacius posted:

I've also read that some variant on "Ma" is a common synonym for "mother" in a surprising number of languages that are otherwise completely unrelated linguistically, which can't possibly be a coincidence. People everywhere assume their babies are talking about them.

Yeah, it's one of the easier syllables to say so it's a common word for parents.

In some cultures it's reversed though - IIRC in Finnish "pa" is for your mom and "ma" is for your dad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

Yeah, it's one of the easier syllables to say so it's a common word for parents.

In some cultures it's reversed though - IIRC in Finnish "pa" is for your mom and "ma" is for your dad.

Yeah but Finnish has like 15 grammatical cases so they're clearly such linguistic geniuses I'm surprised their kids aren't born already able to read and write.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Season 5 starts on April 12th.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Now explain nuncle

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Professor Shark posted:

Now explain nuncle

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_nouns_which_have_interacted_with_their_indefinite_article

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Season 5 starts on April 12th.

94 days to go :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
If you're after a series with good naming, there's always the Bas Lag books by china mieville. Different enough to be foreign, but without 3 billion x's and z's.

• Locked thread