Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

It certainly was interesting that the piece tries to paint ESPN as a journalistically and ethically consistent enterprise, especially for a deadspin writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Politicalrancor posted:

It certainly was interesting that the piece tries to paint ESPN as a journalistically and ethically consistent enterprise, especially for a deadspin writer.

Marc Stein and John Hollinger are/were fine reporters, so I'm not sure what you were looking for

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Politicalrancor posted:

It was written by Kevin Draper, who writes for Deadspin. Same guy who wrote that story on old tweets by NBA players.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I'm grateful for what Dumars did because, hey, I like information, but it is quite surprising that even after that the Pistons did not move to fire him.

When did Davidson die? It could be that the estate didn't want to make any leadership changes while they were trying to sell the team so they kicked the can down to the next owner. Alternately Dumars could do no wrong in Bill Davidson's eyes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I'm grateful for what Dumars did because, hey, I like information, but it is quite surprising that even after that the Pistons did not move to fire him.

Depending on what he was releasing the Pistons may not have cared. That seems like something that's a bigger concern for the NBA that the Piston's specifically.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

Marc Stein and John Hollinger are/were fine reporters, so I'm not sure what you were looking for

They're not as extreme as Woj, but Stein and Amick both fawn over the Mavs and Rockets respectively, I assume for the same reasons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stein worked in Dallas forever. Some of it is probably them feeding him info, but I think he also legitimately got close with guys like Dirk and that clouds things.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
It's the same with Adande in LA, that old rear end baseball writer in Boston and Adam Schefter where ever Shanahan is. Guys are at their best in their familiar enviroment.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

NBA teams tend to trend toward the ridiculously stupid. Remember, Kevin McHale kept his job with the Timberwolves for eight whole years after the Joe Smith debacle.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Almost everyone is a beat writer before they get to those positions so it's only natural that they would have stronger connections with the team they worked the beat on.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

When did Davidson die? It could be that the estate didn't want to make any leadership changes while they were trying to sell the team so they kicked the can down to the next owner. Alternately Dumars could do no wrong in Bill Davidson's eyes.

Davidson died in March of 2009, and Dumars is/was a legend in Detroit. If Davidson's gold-digging widow fired Joe, the shitstorm would've been bigger than it was.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
End-of-year Best Of lists are coming out.

Enjoy this. And this. And this. And this. And this.

I'm also a big fan of this.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 3, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This is technically old, but I feel it's worth sharing. Deadspin did a Worst American Sports Journalism of 2014 article the other day. Jeff Pearlman was one of the dishonorees, for a column where he refused to condemn Ray Rice since Jeff had done some lovely stuff as a college student.

quote:

Ray Rice deserves to be tattooed and branded and damned. He does. But if this job has taught me one thing, it's that no one is black or white. Not Rocker (who has done great work with veterans). Not Vick (an amazing rebound). Not Strawberry. Not Jeff Pearlman—who drove drunk in college; who had unprotected sex in college; who cheated on a test as a freshman. We all do bad things. On occasion, v-e-r-y bad things.

For those keeping score:

Things Jeff Pearlman will not call your mom about :
-drunk driving
-not wearing a condom
-cheating on tests
-beating your girlfriend

Things Jeff Pearlman will call your mom about :
-dissing him in a comments section

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Umm, Unprotected sex is dumb, but it isn't a bad thing.

Unless there is more to this story which would make it turn pretty hard.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm not saying it is, but ol' Jeff here is the one equating it with drunk driving and domestic abuse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Umm, Unprotected sex is dumb, but it isn't a bad thing.

Unless there is more to this story which would make it turn pretty hard.

People come down on athletes pretty hard for having kids out of wedlock with multiple women. No one gets suspended for it, but it certainly gets traction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hcreight posted:

I'm not saying it is, but ol' Jeff here is the one equating it with drunk driving and domestic abuse.

Oh I didn't mean to imply you did.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Peter Vescey blocked me for calling him out on the geographical error.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spoeank posted:

Peter Vescey blocked me for calling him out on the geographical error.

You aren't alone!

Ryan Yamamoto, KXTV posted:

As of Friday night, Vecsey had neither responded to Kings fans nor apologized to Ranadive and the Kings organization. Instead, Vecsey spent time "blocking" anyone, including the members of the media, who made a comment about his tweet.

Carmichael Dave @CarmichaelDave posted:

The Vecsey Block Party of 2015 going on in Sacramento is the best thing so far this year.

Becoming a badge of honor.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Can somebody translate this to English?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Can somebody translate this to English?
Peter Vecsey figured that Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive was from the Middle East and not India because all of those names are the same to him, so he called Ranadive "Aladdin" in a Tweeter thinger.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is Vecsey actually Nick Young?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does Vecsey actually write for anyone these days or just report on stuff for Twitter followers?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The next editor Jeff Pearlman meets will be the first. For all the talent he has, dude cannot make his point in a direct fashion.

His books are really good, though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Not the best phrasing by Mike Florio here.

quote:

Before New Jersey governor Chris Christie made the trek to Willie Wonka’s football factory looking like Augustus Gloop in an Oompa Loompa sweater, Christie apparently had ripped open a candy bar that included a golden gloryhole ticket.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...20NBC&utm_tags=

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Disagree, best phrasing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Disagree, best phrasing.

yeah that's goddamn perfect

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That was wonderful.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That's the best thing Mike Florio will ever write.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's not Sports Journalism, but gently caress it I'm posting this anyway because you all need to read it and it's Journalism-related. The irresistible hook: A 60 Minutes reporter who drank champagne out of his mistress' rear end

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really thought that was going to be Scott Pelley

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
SYNNNNNNNNNNNNNERGGYYYYYYYYYYYYY

quote:

Professional athletes seem like the real-life equivalent of superheroes, don’t they? They accomplish feats of strength, agility and skill far beyond the capabilities of mortal beings. Evidently, ESPN Films and Marvel Entertainment see that similarity as well.

The two companies have teamed up, Avengers-style, to produce a feature-length documentary and series of short films that combine interviews and footage of a wide variety of athletes including Russell Wilson, Dwight Howard, Brandi Chastain, Henrik Lundqvist and Cal Ripken Jr. with Marvel Comics images animated into motion. The idea behind this series is the question of whether or not athletes (and superheroes) are born or created.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Ugh. Have to imagine the Dwight Howard section will be extra-unwatchable.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

It's not Sports Journalism, but gently caress it I'm posting this anyway because you all need to read it and it's Journalism-related. The irresistible hook: A 60 Minutes reporter who drank champagne out of his mistress' rear end

Really thought that'd be Andy Rooney.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Given how much everyone hated the NBA/movie mashup commercials from a few years ago I can't imagine this will go over well.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

chunkles posted:

Given how much everyone hated the NBA/movie mashup commercials from a few years ago I can't imagine this will go over well.

They're still ongoing, and I still hate them :argh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I have no earthly clue why the NBA ever went away from "The NBA: It's FANtastic!" It was simple and effective and really cool.

Seriously when people talk about things and say "God only knows", this is one of those things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I feel like this is a good point to mention that it could have been so much goddamn worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I wasn't just in a delusional haze when I saw Liam doing his Taken schtick wearing a Knicks cap?

DJExile posted:

I feel like this is a good point to mention that it could have been so much goddamn worse

Somehow better then Superpro, but so much worse then Monsters of the Gridiron.