Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...e-tyson/347421/

Neil Degrasse Tyson is getting his own late night panel show.

quote:

On the heels of COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey’s global success, National Geographic Channel today announced the premiere of the network’s first-ever late-night series, Star Talk, hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson). Based on Tyson’s incredibly popular podcast of the same name, the new series will bridge the intersection between pop culture and science as it brings together celebrities, comedians and scientists to discuss the latest developments in our vast universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I could... I could actually see him pulling that off.

It's on Nat Geo, so it will get about 30 viewers, but I can see that being an actually good show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like it's only going to be weekly too so he should be able to put together something substantial and not run through too many guests too quickly or run out of accessible topics too fast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I cannot believe that this show is actually happening and isn't just some internet wide Onion joke.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/john-travolta-joins-american-crime-story-people-v-oj-simpson-20150107

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

I cannot believe that this show is actually happening and isn't just some internet wide Onion joke.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/john-travolta-joins-american-crime-story-people-v-oj-simpson-20150107

The roles don't come in for Travolta like they used to, eh?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I think David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian is so awful a casting choice but it is sitting side by side with Cuba as OJ so I don't even know anymore.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have some terrible, horrible news, everyone.

Comedy Central... has cancelled Brickleberry.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh thank god, those commercials were the worst.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
We are like the Jews after the holocaust: relieved that our long nightmare has finally ended, but saddened that it took so long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real travesty is that Brickleberry got 3 seasons while Ugly Americans only got 2.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

Oh poo poo, if they cast Travolta, that might mean a guaranteed musical number in our Ryan Murphy take on the OJ Simpson trial!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Deadpool posted:

They could not have gotten any luckier starting production on that since the popularity of Serial. This is going to be a huge hit I'm sure of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching Empire, so... it is a pretty bad show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you mean Lee Daniels' Empire

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CaptainHollywood posted:

They could not have gotten any luckier starting production on that since the popularity of Serial. This is going to be a huge hit I'm sure of it.

Nah, now the hivemind thinks that Serial was never good and Sarah Koenig is a hack because it didn't miraculously solve a real-life murder mystery in 12 episodes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sleeveless posted:

Nah, now the hivemind thinks that Serial was never good and Sarah Koenig is a hack because it didn't miraculously solve a real-life murder mystery in 12 episodes.

NO no - the hivemind - has reverted back due to The Intercept's recent interviews with key witnesses from the case.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sleeveless posted:

That's because redditors actually believe they can be real life detectives via internet detective-ing people and not actually caring about the law, because reddit hates the police, etc., etc.. This could go on for a while but yeah :reddit:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching Empire, so... it is a pretty bad show.

It's perfectly fine, but I just tuned in to watch Taraji P. Henson chew the scenery.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

Does Fox get to blame Kevin Reilly for it?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Josh Lyman posted:

Does Fox get to blame Kevin Reilly for it?

I know who I'm blaming for it if it's bad:

IMDB posted:

Ilene Chaiken ... (2 episodes, 2015)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

It's a shame that a good concept and actors are wasted on this being a Fox nighttime soap. If this was an HBO show I'd be all over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another year, and the Toonami/Adult Swim is still unbearable. I have zero idea why they insist on combining those two into a single thread. Maybe I should do a Walking Dead/Adventure Time cross as it makes about as much sense. It just seems to be an excuse for people who probably only post in the tentacle rape forum to post in here without being spotted.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Isn't Toonami a part of Adult Swim? I'm not understanding the complaint except that anime bullshit is drowning out discussion of AS's typical monkey cheese bullshit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the complaint.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, which posters are the ones ruining the thread?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's easy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3691158

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If there was a separate Adult Swim thread it'd get like 5 posts because they only ever air new stuff sporadically throughout the week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the complaint.

Well, they're largely two poo poo tastes that taste lovely together, so no reason not to keep them quarantined to a single thread.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't watch/enjoy everything that Adult Swim do, but there is a fair chunk of enjoyable programming in the blocks. Half the time if something fun on Eric Andre or Infomercials does anything it just ends up in here, probably because nobody wants to delve through 400 posts about dragonball (this is what the thread was talking about when I tried to click through it earlier. Does Toonami even air DBZ anymore? I honestly don't care).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vox has an interesting article on why Netflix doesn't release ratings numbers and TV shows as advertisements.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Vox is such a weird website, it really seems to be Todd VanDerWerff writes stuff 90% of the time.

Netflix is basically someone in the film/tv industry figuring out how not to implode like the music industry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Vox is such a weird website, it really seems to be Todd VanDerWerff writes stuff 90% of the time.

Netflix is basically someone in the film/tv industry figuring out how not to implode like the music industry.

They hired VDW away from the AV Club to head their film/movie crit department but as far as I know he's also the only person in that department.

Yeah netflix business model is solid as hell and it's what monetizing internet content looks like. They were the first to figure it out and they'll probably have another decade of reaping the benefits before something remotely close to competitive shows up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's perfectly fine, but I just tuned in to watch Taraji P. Henson chew the scenery.

RIP Detective Carter :cry:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Vox has other writers, you probably just happen to click on VDW's stuff most of the time. Some of their stuff is really good, some of it is way more linkbaity than they'll ever admit to.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

RIP Detective Carter :cry:

On another note, if you like Groundhog Day/alternate reality sci-fi shenanigans in TV form, Tuesday night's PoI is a must watch.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2015

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I could easily conquer Todd VanDerWerff in a fight to the death

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I could easily conquer Todd VanDerWerff in a fight to the death

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

Yeah netflix business model is solid as hell and it's what monetizing internet content looks like. They were the first to figure it out and they'll probably have another decade of reaping the benefits before something remotely close to competitive shows up.

What's funny is that the networks are moving towards having the majority of their revenue come from carriage fees (in other words, subscribers) as ad revenue declines but they haven't quite caught on to this. There's no point in chasing after eyeballs for advertisers when what you really want is the number of people who receive your network to grow. That changes the economics of your programming dramatically because you are no longer weighing whether or not some lower rated show gets you good enough ad rates in those timeslots, you just care if that show is adding to your subscriber base enough to justify the cost of the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really enjoyed Book of Negroes. The little girl in the pilot was outstanding

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

100% ONBOARD! It was gooood.

Birkoff man, how can it be bad.

I agree. 12 Monkeys trailer was pretty great. I'm just worried they'll be cancelled due to budgetary restrictions like every good syfy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jesus, there isn't a single "respected" internet critic who isn't a fat nerd with a gross neckbeard.

• Locked thread