Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I also still intend to boner jam but I won't be able to get to it until the end of the month. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ok thanks, I won't bother with it then.
RE: Monotron Delay
This is what an analog synth sounds like through it. Mmm, love that phat analog bass and creamy delay #hifi:
https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/mmmmanalog

One hilarious thing about it is that the hiss is loud enough to completely overpower the feedback loop. You can get some insane sounds out of it without ever feeding it anything or playing a single note, with some delay on the hiss will just run wild.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I too intend to boner jam at the last second. A "quickie" if you will.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I hope to do both bonerjamz and RockStar Resurrection this month, although it may come down to a Sophie's choice between the two.

Anyone got the MIDI to this, by the way?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Started my boner jam track yesterday. Still needs some mixing and work on the transition though!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Anyone got the MIDI to this, by the way?

I think i have the midi to the song that always gets referred to by that title, if that matters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I think i have the midi to the song that always gets referred to by that title, if that matters.

Every time I've seen someone refer to that title it has always been a Touhou song, don't think I've ever heard the actual piece :(

SineRider posted:

Started my boner jam track yesterday. Still needs some mixing and work on the transition though!

This is insanely good.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well, someone suggested a few pages back that I take a look at the Novation Ultranova, so I went and bought one. It was a floor model at L&M so I was a bit displeased to find that it was missing its AC adaptor and USB cable, but it works on bus power and I have too many USB cables lying around so I've been playing around with it for the past few hours. I'm going to build a desk for all of this live performance gear, since it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I like this thing, though! Its plugin editor is even more straightforward than my Virus TI. I love the lines indicating signal path, it reminds me a lot of Reason's THOR synth which I loved. I've been spending most of my time integrating it with my Ableton rig so I haven't actually really delved into it as a synthesizer, but a lot of the presets are glorious (especially the arps) and it's got a pretty nice filter section.

One thing that does get to me a bit, is that the thing doesn't play ball with external MIDI sync too well. I've tried it with USB from Live and with MIDI directly from my TR8 (tempo master) and its arpeggiator drifts out of sync. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this, but then again I remember the Virus had similar timing problems with its arpeggiator. Also, I'm unable to 'preview' patches unless the transport is running, even non-arpeggiated patches won't sound unless I've hit play on my TR8.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Every time I've seen someone refer to that title it has always been a Touhou song, don't think I've ever heard the actual piece :(

The piece can't actually be played, the best you could hope for is an "interpretation". That being said, I'd love to see a fully staged production, with cattle and Lakers, etc.

Edit: Anybody know anything about Camel Audio possibly closing shop? I heard a rumor to that effect from a friend, and it seems like all the links on their page redirect you to the support/login page.

I hope not, I was planning on getting Alchemy sometime soon.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 8, 2015

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

The piece can't actually be played, the best you could hope for is an "interpretation". That being said, I'd love to see a fully staged production, with cattle and Lakers, etc.

Edit: Anybody know anything about Camel Audio possibly closing shop? I heard a rumor to that effect from a friend, and it seems like all the links on their page redirect you to the support/login page.

I hope not, I was planning on getting Alchemy sometime soon.
Holy poo poo you're right.

quote:

We would like to thank you for the support we’ve received over the years in our efforts to create instruments and effects plug-ins and sound libraries.

Camel Audio’s plug-ins, Alchemy Mobile IAPs and sound libraries are no longer available for purchase. We will continue to provide downloads of your previous purchases and email support until July 7, 2015. We recommend you download all of your purchases and back them up so that you can continue to use them (Instructions: How to Download and Backup Your Products).

Thank you again for your support.

Alchemy is legit great, and CamelSpace is something I use on nearly everything I do.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'd gotten away from using Alchemy for anything but specific granular stuff, but it's still a bummer to see them close up. Hopefully those guys will be back with something cool someday.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BKPR posted:

I'd gotten away from using Alchemy for anything but specific granular stuff, but it's still a bummer to see them close up. Hopefully those guys will be back with something cool someday.

I think CamelPhat was one of the first non-packaged plugin I ever used, and I still use it to this day. Pretty bummed that I missed the boat on Alchemy, so yes I hope they make it back some day too. I've wanted to get into some of the granular stuff you can/could do with it.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Anyone know of some good single cycle waveform sources BESIDES Adventure Kid? 4300 waves isn't enough for me. Any VSTs that come packages with some single cycles? Any resources for wavs pulled from old wavetable synths? So far the SQ80 is the only one I've been able to locate.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Xfer Serum comes with a bunch of them. There are also quite a few wavetable packs for Serum with waveforms from classic and modern synths from sources like Massive, the Waldorf Micro Q and PPG, Oberheims and many more.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I want one of those new Electribes. They seems to be sold out everywhere. Any tips for the US?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Anyone know of some good single cycle waveform sources BESIDES Adventure Kid? 4300 waves isn't enough for me. Any VSTs that come packages with some single cycles? Any resources for wavs pulled from old wavetable synths? So far the SQ80 is the only one I've been able to locate.

Alchemy (rip in biece) had a free user bank, by Kriminal somethin something that had a lot of single cycles from old gear.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Elektron just released some waves from old synths for the monomachine. I know there's some wavetable data for the blofeld that's rips of old wavetable synth ROMs, you can use that blofeld wavetable editor to convert them to wavs if needed.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

I want one of those new Electribes. They seems to be sold out everywhere. Any tips for the US?

here are two places that claim to have them in stock

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/474494.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps
http://www.midi-store.com/Korg-Electribe-Music-Production-Station-p/SKU40888.htm

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Thanks. Ordered. Never heard of this place before. Hopefully the transaction is smooth.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

Thanks. Ordered. Never heard of this place before. Hopefully the transaction is smooth.

They've been around since the oldternet. Store I used to work at would order PCM/RAM cards from them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Startyde posted:

They've been around since the oldternet. Store I used to work at would order PCM/RAM cards from them.

arbybaconator posted:

I bought some of my first "glue" hardware ever from them. They're awesome and have been around, as Startyde said, since the Beginning of Time.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
I just got a K2500RS and now my live setup is complete so it's time to start working on my effects chains and recording space. The Cirklon absolutely owns and I'm thrilled to be sequencing without a computer in my setup.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
for those of you that have the new electribe -- what do you think so far? i've had mine for about a week and i'm enjoying it so far. i do have a few gripes about it but overall it's a really cool machine.

• step edit mode is really tedious, i really wish i could just hold down the pad in sequencer mode and turn a knob to adjust the note (this would work better for mono parts than chords)
  • the insert fx cut when switching patterns is really bad
  • 4 bars is kind of short but it's not that hard to work with, would be better if they fix the IFX issue
  • i really wish it had a proper EG instead of just attack/sustain, especially for doing pads and texture-type sounds. not too hard to work around, though, and you can sequence external gear with it so w/e

i don't have any experience with the earlier electribes so idk how many of these issues are better/worse on its predecessors

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 8, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Power Ambient posted:

I just got a K2500RS and now my live setup is complete so it's time to start working on my effects chains and recording space. The Cirklon absolutely owns and I'm thrilled to be sequencing without a computer in my setup.

I have went with a K2000RS and Mangler which is like 90% of my effect chain with ohmboyz and Valhalla covering the delay and reverb that it lacks, but if your K2500RS has the KDFX upgrade I would seriously consider just using that since they're amazing.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Gentlemen of refined tastes and empty wallets (ie, you modular goons),

What's the best sounding ladder filter in eurorack format? Is the a-120 a great option?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Back from vacation, so I can hopefully get my Bonerjamz work underway while battling jet lag and the Elektron A4 I'm picking up. I dunno if the A4's the right tool for the sound, but I've got some ideas at least with my other software; working on getting those big 80's drum sounds with Live.

Managed to swing by http://www.fiveg.net/ while vacationing in Tokyo - holy crap that place is vintage gear heaven. A few 303s sitting there, an EMS VCS3 on the top shelf, an arp odyssey, a wall of SCI Prophet 5 synths and old MS-20s etc. Also a wall of Eurorack, mostly Doepfer but plenty of others in there too. Meanwhile three guys behind the counter are just sitting there working on refurbishing more of them. The ARP Solina was tempting, not gonna lie, though I'd have to ship it home and the duty and shipping would be hefty for that. I'll have to settle for my Streichfett for the time being.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Bolange posted:

Gentlemen of refined tastes and empty wallets (ie, you modular goons),

What's the best sounding ladder filter in eurorack format? Is the a-120 a great option?

The best I've used is the Asys RS100. Two inputs with gain make it a lot easier to get the old driven moog sound without a separate CP3 workalike mixer, too.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have went with a K2000RS and Mangler which is like 90% of my effect chain with ohmboyz and Valhalla covering the delay and reverb that it lacks, but if your K2500RS has the KDFX upgrade I would seriously consider just using that since they're amazing.

Kurz Krew represent!
I've been keeping an eye out for the DMTi box to more easily integrate my 2500, mostly for FX, but I get the feeling they didn't make too many of them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

Kurz Krew represent!
I've been keeping an eye out for the DMTi box to more easily integrate my 2500, mostly for FX, but I get the feeling they didn't make too many of them.

I'm probably skipping out on bonerjamz because I've been working on the ipad VAST controller... but when it's at a point that I want people to start seeing what I've missed I'll be sure to leave it here.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm probably skipping out on bonerjamz because I've been working on the ipad VAST controller... but when it's at a point that I want people to start seeing what I've missed I'll be sure to leave it here.

If you can replicate VASTprogrammer on iOS I will love you with mouth :wink:

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

A Winner is Jew posted:

It unfortunately doesn't have KDFX but I like using guitar pedals ("modular") on my mixer sends and I'd like to build a patch bay. Also considering picking up a rack effects unit or two, like the TC Electronics Fireworx. Really really happy with the Kurz though. Layering sampled drums with the analog drums on my DRM1 is really thick.

A Winner is Jew posted:

ipad VAST controller

OMG

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Power Ambient posted:

It unfortunately doesn't have KDFX but I like using guitar pedals ("modular") on my mixer sends and I'd like to build a patch bay. Also considering picking up a rack effects unit or two, like the TC Electronics Fireworx. Really really happy with the Kurz though. Layering sampled drums with the analog drums on my DRM1 is really thick.

I really can't recommend the Mangler enough for a 1U rack effects unit. 12 banks with 16 highly customizable KDFX effects each plus 4 banks of user saved ones all hardware selectable on the fly, toggleable EQ, tap tempo, still some of the best A/D conversions out there, and even though it doesn't have the dedicated delay/reverb's of the Rumor it still has the Lazerveb bank (which is worth the price alone) and is about $300 less.

e: It's also why I've designed my entire guitar recording setup around using it and why I don't see myself buying many pedals since all I'll really need is fuzz, OD, boost, EQ, and compression.

e2: Also, anyone have an interest in my Minibrute or MIDIpal? The Brute is brand new in box (no really, I sent mine in to get the keyboard fixed and they sent me back a new unit) and the MIDIpal's only issue is that my cat bit the control knob. :3:

vvv The lead that comes in at 2:40 on the Aurora track I did for the x-mas album was only a MS-20 and the Mangler vvv

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 8, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I really can't recommend the Mangler enough for a 1U rack effects unit.

No joke, you've single-handedly made me consider buying a Mangler, even though I have more effects plugins than I know what to do with, and have literally no need for a hardware unit.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Mr. Glass posted:

for those of you that have the new electribe -- what do you think so far? i've had mine for about a week and i'm enjoying it so far. i do have a few gripes about it but overall it's a really cool machine.

• step edit mode is really tedious, i really wish i could just hold down the pad in sequencer mode and turn a knob to adjust the note (this would work better for mono parts than chords)
  • the insert fx cut when switching patterns is really bad
  • 4 bars is kind of short but it's not that hard to work with, would be better if they fix the IFX issue
  • i really wish it had a proper EG instead of just attack/sustain, especially for doing pads and texture-type sounds. not too hard to work around, though, and you can sequence external gear with it so w/e

i don't have any experience with the earlier electribes so idk how many of these issues are better/worse on its predecessors

Actually its missing sustain, it just has Decay/Release. I wish it had a sustain setting, crap even Volcas have that. I agree that step edit is tedious, what I was thinking was just advancing a step every time you released a key, so you could do chords and stay in scale without thinking about it much. That said it's got some good features (volume and gate time for each step) too. It's just a pain to use them all.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Actually its missing sustain, it just has Decay/Release.
oops yeah that's what i meant

quote:

That said it's got some good features (volume and gate time for each step) too. It's just a pain to use them all.

yeah. i'm getting some great sounds out of it, and i love just being able to jam with it, it's just every once in a while i hit some stupid thing and can't do quite what i want and i get annoyed.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Hand drawn saw waves y'all. (I actually kind of like the UI on this thing so far.)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AnnoyBot posted:

Hand drawn saw waves y'all. (I actually kind of like the UI on this thing so far.)

Cool synth/sampler, kinda wanted one until I realised how enormous they are.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the size isnt even the biggest problem with the dss-1, its the flaky old dd drive.
ive heard that you cant sample without one; mine samples but wont read/format/save anything to disk so idk.
whenever i can pry myself away from the xs im gonna see what i need to do to get it working again, since it does sound great and at least its more fun to program than a dx7. itd be quite an instrument if it had any patches
then to find a bigger keyboard stand!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the size isnt even the biggest problem with the dss-1, its the flaky old dd drive.

Maybe replacable by a card reader? I have a Mirage with SD reader and it makes using it atleast 5% more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The K2000 got more fun with a card-reader, by cutting away all the "huh, this floppy randomly de-magnetized/flipped a bit" un-fun.