Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One concern I would have about going to HDMI on old consoles is lag added by the conversion.

What's interesting is apparently you can get the Gamecube to output component if you got the right cable, they are apparently rare as all hell nowadays. No such luck for the N64 though.

Composite to Component converters are pretty rare too as most people just use a receiver to convert to HDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah, the Gamecube cable was some 60-dollar active cable (the box itself spat out digital (I think) 4:2:2) and only the first-edition Gamecubes had the port.

And then the Wii came out with component for everyone (for about 2/3 of its run), and now Dolphin's supplanting the Wii and there aren't that many Wii U or late Wii users who haven't had their fill of the Gamecube's library AND refuse to use Dolphin.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ugh, I am still trying to figure out which TV to buy after my good old 15 year old set started to give up the ghost.
Right now I am torn between the 55 inch versions of Vizio E and M series, or the Samsung UN55H6203.
I would be using this set to play video games and watch some streaming content through my consoles. I have read reviews that the motion interpolation of the M series and its local dimming are not that great, and the lower price combined with lower input lag and motion blur of the E series would make for a better purchase. Is there any truth to this? I was thinking about getting a tv with motion interpolation for video games but that apparently that makes input lag go through the roof, making it a moot point.
Samsung UN55H6203 seems like an attractive option as well, but only 2 HDMI inputs make it a no go for me (I have 3 consoles I am actively using).

Any thoughts on the matter? Any particular sets I should consider in this price range ($650-$900)?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wish 65" OLEDs would become dramatically lower, because that LG 55" is spectacular.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

I wish 65" OLEDs would become dramatically lower, because that LG 55" is spectacular.

They will

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/choosing-the-right-size-tv/: "For instance, yesterdays 42-inch screen has been replaced by 39-inch and 46-inch sizes."

:what:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Josh Lyman posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/choosing-the-right-size-tv/: "For instance, yesterdays 42-inch screen has been replaced by 39-inch and 46-inch sizes."

:what:

Your url is broken, but that is a stupid thing to say.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

sellouts posted:

It'll be probably 2-3 years before they'll be below 3k. But by then you'll have to decide between OLED 4k and OLED glasses free 3d!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

One concern I would have about going to HDMI on old consoles is lag added by the conversion.

What's interesting is apparently you can get the Gamecube to output component if you got the right cable, they are apparently rare as all hell nowadays. No such luck for the N64 though.

Composite to Component converters are pretty rare too as most people just use a receiver to convert to HDMI.

They were rare back then too. You had to order them straight from Nintendo.

edit: Holy poo poo, they're like $170.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I just ordered a composite to hdmi adapter, guess I'll see how it works when it arrives:

I personally can't justify plunking down for a receiver, especially just to play old games. But thanks for the info guys.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Next-Gen posted:

It'll be probably 2-3 years before they'll be below 3k. But by then you'll have to decide between OLED 4k and OLED glasses free 3d!

2-3 years is a perfect timeline. I doubt I'll care much about either, but 4k wins over 3d any day. I can't see that changing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is this a good place to ask about TV repair? I couldn't find a better fit but let me know if I'm way off here.

I've got this old Samsung LCD tv, LE37A557, and it's been working fine since 2008 when I got it. Until the other day, when suddenly while watching a program, the picture dimmed quite noticeably. I mean, like if I had turned down the brightness setting all the way down. It affects the whole screen, not only part of it. Including the menus, which usually aren't affected by the brightness setting (or indeed any other setting). Doesn't matter what input source I use so it's not a signal problem.

All the settings seem to be in their regular place. The only way I can get a watchable picture is by cranking the brightness setting up to 100 (it was usually plenty bright around 45). In daylight conditions, even full brightness is not bright enough to watch.

The backlight turns on fine, as I can witness through the rear vents (and I wouldn't be able to see anything on-screen if it didn't).

I don't know if the backlight is running on reduced brightness, or if the LCD panel has for some reason "darkened".

I figured that maybe the backlight CCFLs are dimming due to age, but, it seems like that would be something that would happen gradually and not suddenly.
There seem to be 10 CCFLs, and if one of them went out suddenly, it shouldn't show this much difference, should it?

I took the set apart (of course!) and noticed that one of the transformers on the backlight driver board seems weird. They all (10 of them) have a measurable resistance of a few Ohms on the output side, but one of them (See this picture) measures as infinity, so at first I assumed that it has a severe problem. However, the backlight does turn on (doesn't go into protection mode and turn off) so I'm not sure this is my problem. I see nothing burned and no bulging capacitors on any of the boards.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, and what board I should looking at?

I gather that either
1. Main board could be sending a bad signal
2. LCD panel control board could be messing up the brightness somehow
3. Backlight driver board or power supply board could be producing too little power to run backlight CCFLs at full brightness

I won't spend any money on getting a tech to come out since new similar TVs are dirt cheap, but I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so would love to give it a go myself.

Edit: Found a bulging cap on the power board after some more searching. Well, I shouldn't be surprised, after all I've read about bad caps in Samsungs from that time. Seems like it could affect the backlight strength, right? Gonna order me some new caps, I think.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2015

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

Lucinice posted:

So I've been looking for a 32 to 40 inch TV for around 500 dollars with the intend of using it primarily for games and I came across the sony W600B. While I'm not interested in the smart TV features I heard it's good for games. Has anyone here had any experience with it? I don't want to rush in buying it.

I've had the 48'' W600B for about 1-2ish weeks now. It's been great. I haven't played a movie on it yet, but the TV shows, playing GTAV, and looking at the Chromecast backdrops have all looked great on it so far. And it has 4 HDMI inputs, which is certainly a huge plus. The speakers are meh, however that is a problem I plan to fix this summer.

Edit: Just began streaming Fast and Furious 6 from my local Plex server and it looks fantastic. Amazon HD videos also look great.

carb0nex fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 5, 2015

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Can anyone help me identify what is causing the weird color distortion in these pictures? I'm aware it could be something dumb and I might just be stupid.

TV is a 42" Vizio that I bought 6-7 years ago, but I don't remember the exact model number. This is happening on all input sources and resetting to factory default settings did not help. The colors seem to move and shift even when the image is still or the tv is paused.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People were saying earlier not to buy TVs right before CES; do retailers cut their prices on other models after that, and how quickly? Basically if I just want to get an older TV (I don't need anything fancy, just a relatively big screen that can output 1080 would be fine) when could I get the best deals on one?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just buy a tv when you need to buy a tv. Tv's typically just stop being in stock rather than being cleared out. If you want to try for a deal check bestbuy openbox.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Just buy a tv when you need to buy a tv. Tv's typically just stop being in stock rather than being cleared out. If you want to try for a deal check bestbuy openbox.

This. From someone who spent prolly 6 months shopping around (including black friday through Superbowl sales), the best deal I found was on an open box at BB. Plus you can haggle with the managers. I was able to get $100 off the marked price, and when I asked for more he showed me BB's cost, and I was able to get him to charge me 50bux over that number and throw in a 2 year geek squad replacement plan

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My reaction while watching this:

Start: "hmm, doesn't look much different than current TVs."

At the 40 second mark "how the gently caress is that possible"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSMjapwr4M

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

LG's oled tv 2 years ago was 4mm

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Reverse Centaur posted:

They don't go far enough around to show the bulge in the lower back I'm guessing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

LG's oled tv 2 years ago was 4mm

Well maybe you should have posted a youtube then jerk

BonoMan posted:

They don't go far enough around to show the bulge in the lower back I'm guessing.

That's true, it's not showing the whole thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gho_MsaXclE

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Reverse Centaur posted:

That's true, it's not showing the whole thing.

This has pics of the back
http://ces.gizmodo.com/sonys-flagship-4k-tv-is-thinner-than-an-iphone-6-plus-1677674982/+seanhollister

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That tv is gonna have bad viewing angles and flashlighting out the rear end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Don Lapre posted:

That tv is gonna have bad viewing angles and flashlighting out the rear end.

How so?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The larger and thinner an LCD is the more susceptible it is to backlight problems, it becomes impossible to avoid some warping. The viewing angle is just well its gonna be a VA panel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rather have the black level of a VA panel than the terrible black levels of an IPS panel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Really interested in seeing the 4k upcharge on the 55 and 65" oled non-curved displays.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just replaced my old 42" 720p Lg that I used in the study for with a 42" LB 6500.

WebOS interface is nice and unobtrusive, I totally forgot how light TVs are now after carting that old monster around, drat thing weighed 45kg.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I was looking for a new TV to put in my living room and my needs are pretty simple as I don't really game I just stream media from my PC or roku.

60in, around a thousand bucks.

Can I go wrong with the vizio E series B3?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

Rather have the black level of a VA panel than the terrible black levels of an IPS panel.

I have a 1440p IPS panel, the colors are amazing I got it for photo editing when I was doing it, but yes, the black levels loving blow. Especially the bleed they have on the corners, so playing dark games is kinda lovely.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Your url is broken, but that is a stupid thing to say.
Sorry, URL fixed now: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/choosing-the-right-size-tv/

I remember, back in the days of CRTs, 20" TVs went away in favor or 19" and 21". Or was it the other way around? So while it's possible that "As you do, keep in mind that todays flat screens come in slightly different sizes than they did just a couple of years ago. For instance, yesterdays 42-inch screen has been replaced by 39-inch and 46-inch sizes." I personally haven't seen anything like that. In my head, 42" is the perfect size for a bedroom TV.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, from TV hunting in the past couple of months, all the research I've found is that all these thin TV's have horrible flashlighting, black uniformity, grey uniformity and sound. It probably contributes to why most of the TVs nowadays have such lovely build quality. The race to getting them thinner and thinner is getting pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if it doesn't hurt the quality, but it does.

I understand the need for it for laptops, phones and tablets but for a TV? Eh, it's impressive for like the first hour but a thicker TV isn't a dealbreaker even if you consider wall-mounting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know we're in a bad state when the contrast competition was actually a better time.

Smart TV's and display thickness are idiotic features, is it too much to ask for a screen that does nothing but display a quality picture? :qq:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife and I just got our first big boy tv (a 42'' LG LB5600). The speakers are loud enough, but they sound really flat, and I was wondering if there was a thread consensus on cheapish(preferably under $100, but I could swing $100 in a couple of weeks) soundbars or speakers or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife and I just got our first big boy tv (a 42'' LG LB5600). The speakers are loud enough, but they sound really flat, and I was wondering if there was a thread consensus on cheapish(preferably under $100, but I could swing $100 in a couple of weeks) soundbars or speakers or something.

Keep an eye on Woot or Amazon Warehouse deals.

Woot constantly has soundbar deals and I picked up one of these for home and one for work:

http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-40-2-1-home-theater-sound-bar-w-wireless-sub-6

I mean it's a sub $100 soundbar so you know what you're getting (no bluetooth, etc) but it's still way better than my TV's speakers and has a subwoofer. We like it.

DEFINITELY go the 2.1 route with a subwoofer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, from TV hunting in the past couple of months, all the research I've found is that all these thin TV's have horrible flashlighting, black uniformity, grey uniformity and sound. It probably contributes to why most of the TVs nowadays have such lovely build quality. The race to getting them thinner and thinner is getting pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if it doesn't hurt the quality, but it does.

I understand the need for it for laptops, phones and tablets but for a TV? Eh, it's impressive for like the first hour but a thicker TV isn't a dealbreaker even if you consider wall-mounting.

If you read places like avsforum you'll get the impression that every TV is a piece of poo poo and get purchasing paralysis. Be wary of that.

Modern TVs are actually really great and you generally get what you pay for. The problem here is people often try to go too cheap.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Slimy Hog posted:

Maybe check if the home audio thread can reach a consensus on soundbars?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just bought a Vizio 48 in tv and purchased a Vizio sound stand (originally $148 but I got it at Walmart for $98). It is awesome (improves the tv sound wonderfully). I am not willing to say it is the best but it offers everything I could want and even has bluetooth.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-2.0-Sound-Stand/38764128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is this a good place to ask about TV repair? I couldn't find a better fit but let me know if I'm way off here.
[...]
I don't know if the backlight is running on reduced brightness, or if the LCD panel has for some reason "darkened".

[...]
I took the set apart (of course!) and noticed that one of the transformers on the backlight driver board seems weird. They all (10 of them) have a measurable resistance of a few Ohms on the output side, but one of them (See this picture) measures as infinity, so at first I assumed that it has a severe problem. However, the backlight does turn on (doesn't go into protection mode and turn off) so I'm not sure this is my problem.
[...]
Edit: Found a bulging cap on the power board after some more searching. Well, I shouldn't be surprised, after all I've read about bad caps in Samsungs from that time. Seems like it could affect the backlight strength, right? Gonna order me some new caps, I think.

Welp, replaced all the major caps on the power board (including the bulging one), but no dice. Still same dim picture. At least it was the cheapest thing I could try.

Maybe my initial guess was correct, should probably replace the inverter board next. Since the OSD menus are affected just like the input signal, it ought to be either the backlight, or the T-con board, if google is any judge. And dim picture never seems to be attributed to the T-con board, from what I can see. Well, a replacement inverter board is only 24.00 so let's try that.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 9, 2015