Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, I thought this was a reminder that patrol officers should be disarmed completely :confused:

Pretty much this. "Lock the gun in a compartment in the car" just means "Cops will take it out every time they get out of their car until they're just not expected to put it in the compartment anyway." The only way to deal with gun violence is to remove the guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wait, I thought this was a reminder that patrol officers should be disarmed completely :confused:

There are rare occasions when deadly force is necessary and armed backup may be some time away. It makes sense to have a shotgun or rifle locked in the center console or trunk of the car. The point is to make it so that it requires a conscious decision (and after the fact justification) to introduce deadly force into a situation.

bassguitarhero posted:

Pretty much this. "Lock the gun in a compartment in the car" just means "Cops will take it out every time they get out of their car until they're just not expected to put it in the compartment anyway." The only way to deal with gun violence is to remove the guns.

Require written justification for unlocking the gun and I don't think it would happen as often as you assume it would.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just another reminder that police guns really should be in a locked compartment in their patrol cars.

To open the boxes you'd have to ace a quiz on how to deescalate a situation with a minority involved.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Radbot posted:

Since my choice is basically zero unions, with a very weak teacher's union and an insanely strong police union, or no unions, I choose no unions.

The instant a single police union in the entire nation does anything in solidarity with another non-police union, I will change my tune.

My father works for the City of Everett (WA), and the Police and Fire unions regularly support the Public Works union.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are rare occasions when deadly force is necessary and armed backup may be some time away. It makes sense to have a shotgun or rifle locked in the center console or trunk of the car. The point is to make it so that it requires a conscious decision (and after the fact justification) to introduce deadly force into a situation.

Require written justification for unlocking the gun and I don't think it would happen as often as you assume it would.

Police are running around killing people and not even having to fill out police reports so I'm not going to place any faith in a "written justification for unlocking the gun" system. None of that would matter or be followed.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We had a numbered plastic tag seal on the shotgun in our cruisers. The number on the seal had to be listed on your log sheet, and if it was broken or missing, you reported it to your supervisor. Discrepencies resulted in unpaid days off. Same with the plastic tag seal on the box in the trunk that held the pepperball gun and taser, and (before we replaced them with a DVR system) on the box in the trunk that had the VCR for the cruisercam.

Low tech and cheap solutions exist, as long as enforcement of the policy occurs.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Given the low numbers, I wouln't be surprised if it was the SF version of reserve deputies; a way for the people who know the right people to get a badge for the purpose of exercising privileges given to Law Enforcement Officers.

It's not though, SFPD reserves are a different thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Police_Department#San_Francisco_Police_Reserve_Officers

edit: here's an interesting article that talks about the problems between them and the SFPD: http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisc...ent?oid=2827468

Rah! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 7, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I dug through the SF city webpage and found this faq: http://sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=1695

quote:

WHAT IS A PATROL SPECIAL OFFICER?
Patrol Special Officers and their Assistants are NON-SWORN private patrol persons and are NOT members of the San Francisco Police Department. The Police Commission appoints Patrol Special Officers and has oversight responsibility over the entire Patrol Special Program. Patrol Special Officers were created under the City Charter and are defined as private patrol persons who contract to perform security duties of a private nature for private persons and businesses within a geographical boundary set forth by the Police Commission.

WHAT ARE THE DUTIES OF A PATROL SPECIAL OFFICER?
Private businesses hire Patrol Special Officers to provide security services. They are private patrol officers who enter into a personal services contract with clients for security services. Typical responsibilities of a Patrol Special Officer’s include: unlocking or securing doors to a business, making checks of residences or businesses, conduct perimeter checks at burglar alarms, providing a physical presence at businesses and providing security consultations.

WHAT AREAS OF SAN FRANCISCO DO THESE OFFICERS PATROL?
Patrol Special Officer’s “Beats” are divided throughout San Francisco. A Patrol Special “Beat” owner can purchase the rights of a specific area to patrol. The purchasing process is regulated by the Police Commission and Police Department. All parts of San Francisco have Patrol Special “Beats”.

IS A PATROL SPECIAL THE SAME AS A SAN FRANCISCO POLICE OFFICER?
NO. Patrol Special Officers have no peace officer authority. They are not regulated by 830.1 or 830.2 of the California Penal Code. They do not provide any police services, nor are they dispatched to any call for service by Department of Emergency Management (the City's 911 Center). Patrol Special Officers are not allowed to perform any type of general law enforcement duties. They may only act as private citizens when assisting San Francisco Police Officers.

IS A PATROL SPECIAL OFFICER EMPLOYED BY THE CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO?
NO. Patrol Special Officers are private contractors and were not hired by the City and County of San Francisco. No public taxpayer funds were used to pay their salaries. They are paid by private businesses or persons who hire them for contractual security services.

They're basically old school private police/security that work on a system where the officer buys the right to provide services to any interested customers in an area.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I dug through the SF city webpage and found this faq: http://sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=1695

They're basically old school private police/security that work on a system where the officer buys the right to provide services to any interested customers in an area.

It's kind of confusing that they're not part of the SFPD and are not considered law enforcement officers (anymore), yet they have to report to the SFPD whenever they go on patrol, are regulated by the SF police commission, have police uniforms, guns/cuffs/batons/badges etc, and have patches that say "San Francisco Police".

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wow look at that hate crime.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Speaking of police incompetence, an officer in Kauai responding to a hit-and-run ran over the victim by mistake.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/man-dies-after-being-hit-by-kpd/article_56be88f2-948b-11e4-b557-1736a1d36a29.html

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of police incompetence, an officer in Kauai responding to a hit-and-run ran over the victim by mistake.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/man-dies-after-being-hit-by-kpd/article_56be88f2-948b-11e4-b557-1736a1d36a29.html

Hey, at least he didn't shoot him by mistake!

http://sfappeal.com/2011/09/update-sfpd-shoot-innocent-bystanders-when-firing-at-suspect-in-drug-deal/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/25/empire-state-building-shooting-nypd-bullets-shot-all-nine_n_1830007.html

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Officer slips on banana peel; executes woman.

All because a dog startled him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DARPA posted:

All because a dog startled him.

Are civilians with legal guns allowed to draw down everytime someones dog scares them or is that a cops only thing? It strikes me as odd that this is such a regular thing it only gets mentioned in passing in a story like this.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are civilians with legal guns allowed to draw down everytime someones dog scares them or is that a cops only thing? It strikes me as odd that this is such a regular thing it only gets mentioned in passing in a story like this.

Some police group claimed that dogs are immune to pepper spray, thus shooting them is the first and only deterrent to muddy paw prints and dog slobber. Of course a bunch of veterinarians did a study, and the results were "lol of course pepper spray works on dogs you dumbasses."

There are some stupid posts in the comments but overall they're encouraging.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Basically the same rules as with respect to self defense against humans, usually. There was a Washington state court case on exactly this issue recently.

E: that said, shooting a dog is probably going to get you less sympathy from jurors than shooting a black person.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
As if a police officer would face a jury for killing a black person.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Has this been posted?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/6/police-union-presses-feds-for-hate-crime-protectio/

The Washington Times posted:

By Cheryl K. Chumley - The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The national president of the Fraternal Order of Police said attacking a police officer should be considered a hate crime and the federal government needs to list the act as part of its statute.

“Enough is enough! It’s time for Congress to do something to protect the men and women who protect us,” Chuck Canterbury said in a statement, Newsmax reported.

The union currently touts more than 300,000 members, and Mr. Canterbury’s view that attacks on police should be listed as a federal hate crime is shared by others.

“Right now, it’s a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their skin, but it ought to be a hate crime if you attack someone solely because of the color of their uniform as well,” said Jim Pasco, the executive director of the union, Yahoo News reported.

The union’s logic?
The hearse carrying the casket of New York Police Department Officer Wenjian Liu passes along the funeral route as police officers salute, Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015, in the Brooklyn borough of New York. Liu and his partner, officer Rafael Ramos, were killed Dec. 20 as they sat in their patrol car on a Brooklyn street. The shooter, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, later killed himself. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
The hearse carrying the casket of New York Police Department Officer Wenjian ... more >

That “ambush attacks” like the one that left two New York Police Department officers dead in their patrol car — Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu — are fueled mostly by hatred of the police.

“In the last few years, ambush attacks aimed to kill or injure law enforcement officers have risen dramatically,” Mr. Canterbury said, Newsmax reported. “Nineteen percent of the fatalities by firearm suffered by law enforcement in 2014 were ambush attacks.”

The White House is listening.

Press secretary Josh Earnest said the union’s request is “something that we’ll have to consider” as part of the discussions of the task force that was created by President Obama, Newsmax said.

I don't know whether to laugh at how loving stupid these people are that they don't know what the hell "protected minority" means and why discrimination laws exist, or to cry for the same reason, or to be scared of the fact that they're directly seeking a weapon to use to destroy the lives of anyone who expresses anything a court decides is "anti police sentiments"

I mean, the flow chart is directly 1) Criticize police 2) Get noticed by police you criticize 3) Forced confrontation 4) Hate crime charge (if you survive the encounter with police)

It says in the article that a significant portion of police deaths have been because of ambush attacks. I'm genuinely curious how many of the people who ambushed police actually made it to trial. This push seems to me to be clearly made as a way to retaliate against citizen pressure by indiscriminately destroying the lives of anyone who criticizes police. I've googled a few articles and so far they all seem to say that these people want any attack on any officer to be a hate crime, but I'm sure that if this push survives as more than just stupid blustery statements by police the push is going to end up specifying that there has to be proof of "hate motive" like there has to be in a normal hate crime, which is going to mean that the legislation they are pushing for serves literally no purpose other than creating a new felony they can charge people with if they have any form of court admissible evidence that the person held any form of "anti police bias" or whatever.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 8, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'm sick of people getting off with a slap on the wrist for murdering or assaulting the police! This happens all the time!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh jeez, this sucks.

WARNING AUTOPLAYING VIDEO: Fatal crash victim was John Crawford's girlfriend

quote:

DAYTON, Ohio (WKRC/WKEF) -- Two people died after a fatal car crash on New Year's Day. One of the victims was Tasha Thomas, the girlfriend of John Crawford III, who was fatally shot by police at a Beavercreek Walmart. Police believe excessive speed was the cause. The crash happened on North Broadway Street between Holt Street and Edgewood Avenue just after 3 p.m. Witnesses told Dayton Police that the driver was headed south at an excessive rate of speed, between 90 and 100 miles per hour. The driver then crashed into an RTA pole, which caused the driver's side of the car to be sheered off, and the car to flip several times. Thomas and the driver, Frederick Bailey of Dayton, were then ejected from the car. "When I came over the one lady was still breathing," said Lewis, "I tried to use a towel to cover her up but the police got here and the ambulance was already here." "This is a very delicate scene, very troubling scene with being the holiday and two people passed away on the holiday at a careless act of excessive speed," said Sgt. Coleman. Police were not able to determine if both victims were wearing seat belts because of the state of the wreckage. Thomas had been interrogated by police following Crawford's death. She had been at the Walmart with Crawford, who was from Fairfield.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
In more horrifying news, Cleveland police have released the extended surveillance tape of the aftermath of the Tamir Rice shooting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Considering the fact that police hardly get charged with any crimes or taken to court for wrongdoing I kind of think that the justice system already treats them as a protected class.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Goddamn, that poor sister... :smith:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Has this been posted?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/6/police-union-presses-feds-for-hate-crime-protectio/

I don't know whether to laugh at how loving stupid these people are that they don't know what the hell "protected minority" means and why discrimination laws exist, or to cry for the same reason, or to be scared of the fact that they're directly seeking a weapon to use to destroy the lives of anyone who expresses anything a court decides is "anti police sentiments"

These laws already exist. In my state,
Backtalk a cop? Misdemeanor, up to a year in jail. (not a crime against little people)
Make a cop think you're going to touch him? Midemeanor, up to 6 months in jail (up to 30 days against little people)
Touch a cop? Felony, up to 5 years in prison. (Misdemeanor, up to 90 days in jail against little people)
Cause great bodily injury to a cop? 0 to life in prison (0 to 5 years in prison against little people)
Kill a cop? Automatically eligible for the death penalty.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 8, 2015

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You choose to be a cop, therefore it cannot be a protected class. If congress adds them to it you might as well throw the whole thing out as it will be worthless

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

You choose to be a cop, therefore it cannot be a protected class. If congress adds them to it you might as well throw the whole thing out as it will be worthless

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they use it as a back door attempt to do just that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
And the line between police officer and abusive father blurs evermore.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The entire thing is ridiculously offensive when you consider the historical, let alone the current, hand police played in oppressing minorities which required laws they want to get grand fathered into.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 8, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

According to this logic, Congress already threw it out the window 50 years ago with the CRA.

You can choose to worship. Religion is protected. Choice isn't the sole factor in making the decision of protected classes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 8, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ayn rand hand job posted:

According to this logic, Congress already threw it out the window 50 years ago with the CRA.

You can choose to worship. Religion is protected. Choice isn't the sole factor in making the decision of protected classes.

:staredog:

That's not going to be treated as equivalent at all because I'm pretty sure most people consider their religious beliefs to not be a matter of choice in nearly the same way as a job.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

That's not going to be treated as equivalent at all because I'm pretty sure most people consider their religious beliefs to not be a matter of choice in nearly the same way as a job.

It shouldn't be and I agree completely. The point was that there's more to determining protected classes than it being something you can't choose.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

bassguitarhero posted:

I think this is the byproduct of a frequent misreading of why protected classes are protected classes - it's not that they're immutable necessarily (though many of them are, or are at least determined as much by external assignment than they are by internal identification) so much as society would find it unconscionable to demand that someone suppress or change that identity. This is how religion is covered - it's not that you can't change your faith (at least superficially), but that it would be super hosed up to ask you to do so.

Also protected class was replaced with protected classification in the 90s, which doesn't affect hate crime laws at all because they've always been classification-based but is a critical distinction if you go down the rabbit hole of this area of law.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Depends if you're Muslim apparently.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ayn rand hand job posted:

Freedom of choice vs freedom of conscience. What they are trying to do is argue that "being a cop" is a matter of conscience, not choice. Given how evil and hilariously corrupt cops are that is going to be a . . . tough argument.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The opinion of most people in power and probably a majority of people that vote is that police are noble heroes who put their lives on the line to make the country a better place so I doubt it will be that hard.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Radish posted:

The opinion of most people in power and probably a majority of people that vote is that police are noble heroes who put their lives on the line to make the country a better place so I doubt it will be that hard.

I wish there was some long term polling on this. I'd be curious how much, if any, that has become less true in the last 20 years.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

joat mon posted:

These laws already exist. In my state,
Backtalk a cop? Misdemeanor, up to a year in jail. (not a crime against little people)
Make a cop think you're going to touch him? Midemeanor, up to 6 months in jail (up to 30 days against little people)
Touch a cop? Felony, up to 5 years in prison. (Misdemeanor, up to 90 days in jail against little people)
Cause great bodily injury to a cop? 0 to life in prison (0 to 5 years in prison against little people)
Kill a cop? Automatically eligible for the death penalty.

Georgia? (guessing)

I'm curious about the backtalk one. I know cops can manufacture reasons to arrest you and such pretty easily, but I was under the impression you could tell a cop "gently caress you" and that specific act was not a crime in any way.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
In Texas disorderly conduct includes the use of vulgar language in public.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheSpiritFox posted:

Georgia? (guessing)

I'm curious about the backtalk one. I know cops can manufacture reasons to arrest you and such pretty easily, but I was under the impression you could tell a cop "gently caress you" and that specific act was not a crime in any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Georgia? (guessing)

gently caress you can also be articulated as a threat.

• Locked thread