Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

copy posted:

Pretty sure that amnesia dust would refer you to fireball, the true amnesia spell.

Because it's "fire and forget"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

First Bass posted:

Remove all Wizards and just keep Muscle Wizards. :allears:

An inspiration to all Muscle Wizards.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I detest anime but approve of Alex Luis Armstrong

copy
Jul 26, 2007

homullus posted:

Because it's "fire and forget"?

I'm definitely dating myself by remembering this, but no. It's because of 8-Bit Theater from way back in the day.

Thought I like yours too.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Harrow posted:

Muscle Wizards making a reaction check: http://youtu.be/sa5rW_AJw-U

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ratpick posted:

Muscle Wizards making a reaction check: http://youtu.be/sa5rW_AJw-U

I love how this is both intimidate and diplomacy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

deadly_pudding posted:

Change the name of the game to Wizards & Muscle Wizards :allears:

Has anybody run a muscle wizard before? It is super fun, actually, to make a less-than-optimal wizard or fighter 1/wizard <the rest of the levels> with like 18 Strength who can lift dudes off the ground by their head and then release a Shocking Grasp charge.

I once ran a Sorc/Fighter that would use cast True Strike on one turn and then just dump all the improved attack bonus it could into power attack the next turn. He'd hit like a truck.

Then the ogre would backhand him and kill him.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

S.J. posted:

I love how this is both intimidate and diplomacy.

"The Muscle Duel is a Strength-based opposed roll. If one character beats their opponent's roll the opponent becomes demoralized. On a tie a musclebound respect is gained as the two parties become tied by the sinews of Muscle Friendship."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Um...is this a bad time to state that I'm joining a 5th Edition game this weekend, and the GM has pre-genned a half-elf draconic-bloodline sorcerer for me to play?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

CobiWann posted:

Um...is this a bad time to state that I'm joining a 5th Edition game this weekend, and the GM has pre-genned a half-elf draconic-bloodline sorcerer for me to play?
Well, at least he did a good job of lining up the stat bonuses. Was this a surprise pregen? Or was that the plan going in?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Nah. If your GM is a good person, and the other players are cool, you'll probably have a good time. Like most RPGs, the people you're playing with are vastly more important than the system used. The system can push things towards one style or play or another, but the people will make or break it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would question why a D&D hero has a chance to loving fall asleep at such an important junction in the first place.

Probably because Mearls was running.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Spoilers Below posted:

Probably because Mearls was running.
:golfclap:

But yeah, I've been having fun for the most part in the 5e game I've been playing, and most of the less than fun parts have been because of some railroady tendencies on the DM's part. And I'm going to be joining another 5e game with a different group on Saturday as well.

5e wouldn't be my first choice of game, but it's what these DMs wanted to run, and I usually have a hard time passing up being on the other side of the screen regardless of system.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ImpactVector posted:

But yeah, I've been having fun for the most part in the 5e game I've been playing, and most of the less than fun parts have been because of some railroady tendencies on the DM's part

Where do people find all these railroading GMs? My (many) bad experiences with DMs have been with ones who show up with nothing prepared and we just sort of gently caress around with no real aim - during some of those games I would have loved a GM who had a cast-iron story in his head and who knew exactly how he wanted things to go.

Though I did play with one GM who played a game from a book and yet somehow managed to get completely attached to the end-boss of a dungeon level to the point where he basically broke the rules to save the guy. The expendable boss orc who was intended to die at that very point. Yeah.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
What's really fun is when you have a GM that has prepared almost nothing so you're blundering about in a blind muddled mess until you stumble across the part he prepared and then you're on rails for a while until that scene or encounter is over and then it's back to being directionless again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I often prepare almost nothing. I let the players know this. They enjoy making their own direction/plot and adapting to it (and adapting it) as it develops.

It wouldn't work at all unless everyone was informed about it and on board with the idea.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I normally meticulously detail the first half of a session and generate an ideal endpoint. Then I'll come up with 1-2 Random Combats, 1 Random RP Hook and 1 Random Idea. If they get through the first half on the path, then I have enough extra content to push it forward to the conclusion. If they skew off the rails (90% of the time) then I have some softballs to throw while I reorganize the campaign.

Not only do I really love improvising and experiencing the situation as it evolves with my player's interactions, it's way less time consuming than trying to model an entire adventure only to have them take some alternate path.

It also stems from being a DM with a player who would try to break/cheat/backdoor/manipulate every adventure I tried to create for him. It was agonizing at first, but it really taught me how to improvise and not get emotionally invested in an adventure I had planned. Railroading is just too much work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a release date for the D&D Dice Masters yet? I figured I'd have exchanged all my dollars for cubes by now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not that I come to a session with nothing, but I think you also can't come to a session with so much stuff that you then force the players to go through it in exactly the way you want. I usually just prepare a plot hook and a general "problem" that I don't have a solution for - the players will think of something I'm sure.

EDIT: Also echoing what was said earlier that D&D Next isn't as good as it could have been / isn't as good as other games in the same vein, but if you're having fun with it (and a good group can turn just about anything fun) then it doesn't really matter.

It's only come up as an issue in this thread when people use "we're having fun!" as a measure of the game's quality or as an excuse for hand-waving away critical analysis of its actual mechanical aspects.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 8, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ImpactVector posted:

Well, at least he did a good job of lining up the stat bonuses. Was this a surprise pregen? Or was that the plan going in?

He invited me to his ongoing game and said he'd make a pre-gen so I could slide right in. He just asked if I wanted caster or fighter type. He's made a pre-gen before for me in a DC Superheroes game I guested in, so I just have to brush up on what all the stats and backgrounds mean.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Also echoing what was said earlier that D&D Next isn't as good as it could have been / isn't as good as other games in the same vein, but if you're having fun with it (and a good group can turn just about anything fun) then it doesn't really matter.

It's only come up as an issue in this thread when people use "we're having fun!" as a measure of the game's quality or as an excuse for hand-waving away critical analysis of its actual mechanical aspects.

People who are in good groups have fun playing Rifts. Think about that, folks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

Is there a release date for the D&D Dice Masters yet? I figured I'd have exchanged all my dollars for cubes by now.

I think it's February, with the Yugioh set coming in March?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dick Burglar posted:

People who are in good groups have fun playing Rifts. Think about that, folks.
Rifts is the best setting even if the system is trash :colbert:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

No its a bunch of garbage thrown together with a few novel, interesting elements and a whole lot of trash. I think calling it "pearls in mud" would be too generous. But everyone knows RIFTS was crazy and stupid, it never pretended to be anything but RIFTS. D&D Next was advertised differently, and promised different things as a game. The setting has always been D&D, which has now become "generic fantasy", which is funny because it isn't. It is very uniquely D&D.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So here's my pre-gen...Half-Elf Sorcerer, level 6, Draconic Lineage (Brass), Empowered Spell, Twinned Spell, Defining Event (stood alone against a Banshee), Rustic Hospitality, War Caster. I'm not used to "spell points" and the like, but otherwise I'm definitely psyched for this Sunday.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

So here's my pre-gen...Half-Elf Sorcerer, level 6, Draconic Lineage (Brass), Empowered Spell, Twinned Spell, Defining Event (stood alone against a Banshee), Rustic Hospitality, War Caster. I'm not used to "spell points" and the like, but otherwise I'm definitely psyched for this Sunday.

Yeah that is solid enough, you are not wearing full plate and a shield but not everyone can be an awesome Wizardman

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I didn't see it in the OP, but is there a character generator yet?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Elendil004 posted:

No, and now that Morningstar got cut loose they've been pretty tight lipped about their plans for one.

But outside of printing up spell/ability cards, I'd personally say it's not really necessary. Most characters have fewer and simpler abilities than in something like 4e, with fewer interactions. Creating a character by hand is pretty quick this time around.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

No, and now that Morningstar got cut loose they've been pretty tight lipped about their plans for one.

But outside of printing up spell/ability cards, I'd personally say it's not really necessary. Most characters have fewer and simpler abilities than in something like 4e, with fewer interactions. Creating a character by hand is pretty quick this time around.

There's this character generator at least.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Oh man it rolled me up a rad necromancer immediately, I can recommend this for the true powergamers of 5E:

FRANK HUMAN WIZARD FROM A SMALL TOWN TAVERN WHO WAS RAISED BY GHOSTS

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

I'm going to roll the stats for a loving

positive Half-elf Druid from a village without a tavern who was told they'll never be good enough

Amazing :allears:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm will get you an HTML page with all your information on. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I successfully used it to gen a 20th level druid for a one-shot and it worked fine for that, so it's pretty robust.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
CONSCIENTIOUS HUMAN SORCERER FROM THE FOREST OF SADNESS WHO FINDS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO GIRLS

I name thee Goon the First.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

http://kassoon.com/dnd/5e/character-sheet/

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Azran posted:

CONSCIENTIOUS HUMAN SORCERER FROM THE FOREST OF SADNESS WHO FINDS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO GIRLS

I name thee Goon the First.

YOU THINK YOUR CHARACTER IS COOL? MY CHARACTER IS A loving
HATEFUL HALF-ELF SORCERER FROM A MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON WHO HATES THE MONARCHY

This is literally the best character generator I've ever seen. I want to play ex-con anarchist half-elf sorcerer.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

whothefuckismydndcharacter posted:

I'm going to roll the stats for a loving
assertive Tiefling Bard from a haunted castle who can't silence the voices

I can't shut you up so I'm going to sing louder than all of you. :allears:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Your characters can't stand up to:

A frank Half-orc Monk from a boarding school for the children of middle-class wizards who doesn't have a reflection!

Edit: White Knight spotted - Tactless Human Paladin from an underground network of dragon caves who always refers to inanimate objects as 'shes'.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2015

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Woah, this one is actually really good in a non-silly way, I actually kinda want to play this character now:

"Eager Half-orc Fighter from the slave fighting pits who is afraid the rest of the party will kill them if they try to leave"

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Rifts was the first pen-and-paper RPG system I ever owned. It has special place near and dear to my heart. But god, it is still garbage.

The idea of a "kitchen sink" setting was kind of cool when I was younger, but it is really obnoxious on reflection. Laphroaig is right: it has a few neat ideas, but most of it is poo poo. Very ham-handed poo poo, at that.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
WELL-INTENTIONED HALF-ELF CLERIC FROM A STRICT MONASTERY WHO IS A RECOVERING CANNIBAL

This is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
This character is inappropriate for DnD Next though.

old-fashioned Dragonborn Sorcerer from an unpure bloodline who is downright racist towards living skeletons