Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you get Haruhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just a reminder that Endless Eight was like 30 pages in the crappy books. It was inconsequential except as a small lead-in or prologue in Disappearance.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Not directed at anyone in particular but if you actually sit down and watch the same episode 8 times in a row you are an idiot.
Just watch one of them and then read about the minor differences online.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The_Frag_Man posted:

Eh, I dunno. I think at least two or three is necessary for proper investment into the emotional core of Yuki's character in Disappearance. Though I am a stringent Endless Eight apologist so...

coathat
May 21, 2007

Endless Eight is mandatory.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

Not directed at anyone in particular but if you actually sit down and watch the same episode 8 times in a row you are an idiot.

the opposite is true

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The_Frag_Man posted:

That's why you don't watch them all at once.

You watch them one a week.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Eh, I dunno. I think at least two or three is necessary for proper investment into the emotional core of Yuki's character in Disappearance. Though I am a stringent Endless Eight apologist so...

I'd say four is the sweetspot. The first for the original version, the second for the major changes, 7 for the pre-finale realization, 8 for the finale.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you don't watch all of endless 8 you're not a real anime fan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you watch all of Endless Eight you're too much of an anime fan

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The best way to experience endless eight is when somebody else watches them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Watching Endless Eight while it aired helped me realize so few people on the internet actually know how animation works. Every episode people would complain that the staff was just being lazy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Guyver posted:

Watching Endless Eight while it aired helped me realize so few people on the internet actually know how animation works. Every episode people would complain that the staff was just being lazy.

Rather, they put in way to much time and effort into effectively saying "Pretty much the same thing happened again for the x'th time."

Its very existence boggles my mind.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The reason Haruhi works so well as an anime is that every scene is framed in such an odd way that it can be read both as a fun time had by all and a nightmare hell. Endless Eight wasn't supposed to happen, as the original plan was to include Disappearance as a part of the second season, but when that became the movie they suddenly had eight episodes and nothing to do with them. They decided to draw attention to all the little things they had been doing by making the same episode eight times over, where you could watch as things spiral out of control directing wise while the actual events stay the same. That's what Endless Eight is.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
The correct way to watch Endless 8 is to watch all of it at 8x speed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I feel like it's pretty much impossible to watch Endless 8 properly without the week wait, the dawning realization that it's still going on, and the internet reacting to it all.

I feel similarly about Code Geass R2.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I feel like it's pretty much impossible to watch Endless 8 properly without the week wait, the dawning realization that it's still going on, and the internet reacting to it all.

I feel similarly about Code Geass R2.

The big difference is reactions to R2 were always more divisive and, even at the worst bits, it never makes you watch the same story eight times in a row. People can and do still watch it on their own today. In contrast, almost nobody will sit through all of Endless Eight, at least not that I've noticed, knowing they can outright skip the majority of it without literally losing anything of value. Boredom is always the greatest offense that a work of entertainment can be guilty of and most folks are wise enough to realize Endless Eight did not need to be that long.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'll watch Code Geass R2 just to jam out to World End and watch the Eight Elements SEITEN smash poo poo for looking at it funny.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's been years but I still don't know what people saw in S1 that R2 suddenly was the antichrist.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
R2 was great fun, it just wouldn't be the same without experiencing it with a bunch of internet strangers and anime nerd friends.

Also, I think the issue was more what was in R2 that wasn't in S1: Rolo. And everyone and their sister coming back from the dead. And knightmares showing up just long enough to justify having a toy made. And the even more nonsensical human instrumentality project.

R2 was great fun.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

It's been years but I still don't know what people saw in S1 that R2 suddenly was the antichrist.

It's simple, really. R2 has more crazy twists and moments of temporary stupidity. Some folks either expected otherwise or are just allergic to that. I'd tend to differ, because the craziness was fun and in my view the parts that truly matter did make more sense in retrospect (or even on rewatch). You can certainly enjoy it by turning your brain off, but it's even more rewarding to realize the method to the madness too. I'd write an tl,dr essay on why the ending is perfect for the entire series if it didn't require too much time and :effort: though.

The death fake outs weren't an issue for me because the show always had those and I've seen too many anime to believe in deaths without bodies. Also, the mecha battles becoming flight-based made many of them boring laserfests (save for the last one and a couple others). Which is why I like Akito going back to the ground-based combat and its surprisingly good use of 3DCG. It's too bad about the release schedule though.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 9, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I thought season 1 got really good whenever poo poo was falling apart for Lelouch since that's when those types of series are at their best. During season 2 he was on top of things way too often so it wasn't really the same kind of fun. Still fun because I love how apeshit insane the robots get.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

wielder posted:

The big difference is reactions to R2 were always more divisive and, even at the worst bits, it never makes you watch the same story eight times in a row. People can and do still watch it on their own today. In contrast, almost nobody will sit through all of Endless Eight, at least not that I've noticed, knowing they can outright skip the majority of it without literally losing anything of value. Boredom is always the greatest offense that a work of entertainment can be guilty of and most folks are wise enough to realize Endless Eight did not need to be that long.

Nope. I'd rather watch Endless Eight like seven times then R2. Because R2 is uniformly terrible. The characters in EE at least behave like the characters in the rest of the show. R2 was an invasion of retarded body snatchers. The show kept telling me that these were all the same characters from season one, but the show is a goddamn liar. Why make a sequel that doesn't even bare a passing resemblance to the first season. Baffling.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

linall posted:

Nope. I'd rather watch Endless Eight like seven times then R2. Because R2 is uniformly terrible. The characters in EE at least behave like the characters in the rest of the show. R2 was an invasion of retarded body snatchers. The show kept telling me that these were all the same characters from season one, but the show is a goddamn liar. Why make a sequel that doesn't even bare a passing resemblance to the first season. Baffling.

Well...what can I say? Congratulations, you are one of the few people I've met online who would ever say something like that in defense of Endless Eight...since the characters literally doing the same set of actions over and over again is part of the problem. I'd call that damning it with faint praise at best.

Of course, I strongly disagree about the rest of that statement too. I'd acknowledge some issues with the side cast, but the main characters in R2 were largely behaving based on their existing traits and flaws, especially yet not limited to Lelouch and Suzaku, or are simply reacting to all the craziness that surrounds them in a way that is consistent with the melodramatic nature of the production as a whole. For instance...I didn't agree with a lot of the decisions Lelouch made in R2, but even his emotional outbursts and mistakes were a consistent part of his characterization as a Byronic figure, since he's not really supposed to be a totally cold and calculating character. He's impulsive, theatrical, obsessive, etc. by default, even when several of the viewers may not want him to be.

That said, we all know that this show will always polarize its audience. Some folks will see the gist of what I'm getting at and it'll ease their frustrations, while others just won't.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 9, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

R2 was even more over the top, ergo it's objectively better. It is a shame most of the characterization poo poo the bed tho.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

wielder posted:

Well...what can I say? Congratulations, you are one of the few people I've met online who would ever say something like that in defense of Endless Eight...since the characters literally doing the same set of actions over and over again is part of the problem. I'd call that damning it with faint praise at best.

Oh I don't really mean to praise it at all. Endless Eight was one of those moments of true genius that ends up having a torturous slog as a key component of it's brilliance. If you took it out, the whole idea collapses under it's own weight. But that doesn't make it any less awful to go through.

And it's still somehow better than R2.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

linall posted:

And it's still somehow better than R2.

Like I said before, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

I wouldn't bet against a random person sincerely enjoying at least parts of R2, whatever else they may think about it, but I would easily bet against enjoying Endless Eight.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I mostly liked R2, although I watched it a few years ago when my tastes weren't quite the same as they are now. I thought Lelouch and Suzaku were mostly in character; some people feel they made Suzaku suddenly a hypocrite, but really he was always a hypocrite. The show had a lot of energy (maybe more than the first season) to keep me watching. On the other hand, the Sword of Akasha subplot was nonsensical, and the FLEJA storyline suffered from a common problem in fiction (Star Trek 2009 is another offender that comes to mind) where an enormous number of people die, but only a handful of characters seem to care. There were also a couple times when Lelouch's plans stretched my suspension of disbelief too far, but only a couple.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 9, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure he meant something else because Zetman is in no way cyberpunk, it's a superhero series that's a mash-up The Guyver and Batman. At least the manga series is, the anime is that but added trying cram 16 volumes worth of story into 13 episodes.

I somehow confused Zetman and Skull Man, although I would argue that it's totally possible to make a superhero series that is also Cyberpunk.
Skull Man I could see as being borderline cyberpunk to some people, but it has what I would consider hallmarks of the genre and if you like cyberpunk poo poo it's certainly going to fit into things you will like. I'm not super effected by really graphic violence tho, and Skull Man is pretty brutal in that regard so a lot of people are iffy on it for that reason.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there any reason to watch the original episodes over the remastered ones for Gintama? Should I just watch both in their original airing order?

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

wielder posted:

Like I said before, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

I wouldn't bet against a random person sincerely enjoying at least parts of R2, whatever else they may think about it, but I would easily bet against enjoying Endless Eight.

I unironically enjoyed EE, and I would go so far as to say I enjoyed it marginally more than R2. I watched EE as it was airing with the approach of "find the differences". With that, at least it was tolerable, if still somewhat of a boring slog; though at least a well-executed one, and more so if you assume its effect on fans was intentional.

On the other hand, I just remember being R2 as being offensively bad in many parts. Maybe the half-dozen years hence will lend me a new perspective on it, but I'm not sure I can find it in me to sit still for what is potentially torture.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Is there any reason to watch the original episodes over the remastered ones for Gintama? Should I just watch both in their original airing order?

I wanna say the remastered ones just have different OPs/EDs?

Original's probably the better route since that way you're guaranteed to watch in the airing order. I know there are blu-rays out but man, as much as I love Gintama that first series is on one hell of a shoestring budget. To the point where in 2010 it was *still* airing in 4:3. The remasters aren't gonna add a lot to the original I can safely say that much.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I wanna say the remastered ones just have different OPs/EDs?

Original's probably the better route since that way you're guaranteed to watch in the airing order. I know there are blu-rays out but man, as much as I love Gintama that first series is on one hell of a budget. To the point where in 2010 it was *still* airing in 4:3. The remasters aren't gonna add a lot to the original I can safely say that much.

They're all on Crunchyroll, and they're marked clearly enough (e.g. 109C), so I don't think it'd be too hard to swap them into the right order. I guess the stuff about "new extras" are just empty lies then?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

They're all on Crunchyroll, and they're marked clearly enough (e.g. 109C), so I don't think it'd be too hard to swap them into the right order. I guess the stuff about "new extras" are just empty lies then?

Hm, if they do mention new extras then it'd be worth checking them out. The only thing I had known about was the different OPs/EDs so I guess if they have some bonus scenes or whatever then that would be worthwhile, especially since they're organized well.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Is the Tiger and Bunny sequel movie any good and worth tracking down? I loved the series and just found out about the movie.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

Is the Tiger and Bunny sequel movie any good and worth tracking down? I loved the series and just found out about the movie.

I was going to say no, it was mostly a retread of the show and a waste of time and then I realized you were talking about the new movie I didn't know about. So yeah I dunno. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, anime sequel movies are mostly very bad.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first movie is good, as recap movies go.

The second movie is a sequel to the series, and it is more tiger and bunny, and is 'good' in the way that is like a new arc. It is not a final reckoning of the T&B universe, or anything silly like that. Just more Tiger and Bunny.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DamnGlitch posted:

The first movie is good, as recap movies go.

The second movie is a sequel to the series, and it is more tiger and bunny, and is 'good' in the way that is like a new arc. It is not a final reckoning of the T&B universe, or anything silly like that. Just more Tiger and Bunny.

Does it continue the pattern T&B set of going through the history of comics? Which is to say, the first half of Tiger and Bunny is very 80s - big fights, big event, but relatively four-color - while the second half is pretty 90s/00s - betrayals, labyrinthine plots, conspiracies, etc.

(Personally, I preferred the first half.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Uhm, it's kind of a balance I guess? I don't really follow western comics. No one ends up in a refrigerator. It's just a good 90 minuteish TnB story that takes place after the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's looking like I'll only watch one show with my CR account this season, so help me put it to work. I'd like a show with a coming of age story, with a relatively grounded setting.

Alternatively, something good that didn't get enough attention. I've already seen Kyousougiga.

• Locked thread