Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ceciltron posted:

If Quebec weren't full of French people you'd be astounded to find it entirely identical to Ontario in every way.

Except colder and with worse roads

2 + 2 = 5 posted:

Maybe French people aren't nice to you because you seem to have racist jerk attitudes towards them?

Something Awful Forums: where people forget that this is a comedy site where people make jokes

Lexicon posted:

Totally. I'd be willing to bet an enormous percentage of non-Quebecer Canadians have never even been to Quebec - thanks in part to the insane cost of east-west travel compared to North-south.

I'll let you in on a secret, when I'm not making bad jokes on the internet I'm bilingual and make fun of dummies that didn't bother to learn how to speak to a third of the country.

I actually really like much of Quebec, and I'm frankly surprised that I got so many biters on my terrible low effort troll

Monaghan posted:

There's a lot of places in Canada that are worse for cold- see Manitoba, or my province, Saskatchewan (-40 today gently caress this place, why are housing prices so high in this frozen loving tundra).

Having worse places exist doesn't invalidate my comment. The cold and the lovely roads are probably the only parts of the province that I really don't generally enjoy.

Montreal's Jazz Festival and the Quebec winter carnival are things everyone should experience.

E: and the high taxes are quid pro quo for significantly better social services so that's a wash to me

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'll let you in on a secret, when I'm not making bad jokes on the internet I'm bilingual and make fun of dummies that didn't bother to learn how to speak to a third of the country.

I really wish I had learned French, unfortunately growing up in a small community in Alberta with no French program and having no real chance to take it in University due to my program means I have almost zero proficiency. Welp.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I actually really like much of Quebec, and I'm frankly surprised that I got so many biters on my terrible low effort troll

I'll let you in on a secret: I was actually in no way referring to your comment. I had in mind the vast throngs of Langley, etc suburbanites who tend to espouse such views.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, it's literally impossible to learn french in the west. If anyone from the west claims to have learned french via our school system here they are a liar and you will find they have a french speaking parent, or lived in Quebec or Ontario for years, or go to France every summer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

Or envy, there's this whole rad province that they can't succeed in because they're a linguistic outsider.

Haha no, this

Vancouver weather right now

Montreal

Montreal seems great, and I'd live there if I had to experience real Canadian winter, but gently caress that

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ I've lived in both cities for a period of longer than a full year, and without exaggeration I prefer Montreal's weather in totality. Sure, it gets cold, but it's generally always sunny and doesn't loving piss rain 10 months of the year.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Really? Have you read the other CanPol thread at all?

Ceciltron posted:

I went to a private high school in the West Island and I literally have a set of nasty prejudices and chip on my shoulder that resulted from it. It takes active work not to hate pretty much every single upper-middle class uni-lingual anglophone as the bigoted, racist and privileged dickhole they are.

One of my good friends from Montreal that I met outside of school has the same experience. She's very cool, and a very nice person, but old friends from high school, who she went to undergrad with don't contact her and pretend to forget her name when she runs into them on the street. It's really weird to me, but then again I'm from Sarnia.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 7, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it's literally impossible to learn french in the west. If anyone from the west claims to have learned french via our school system here they are a liar and you will find they have a french speaking parent, or lived in Quebec or Ontario for years, or go to France every summer.

It's substantially better in the major cities apparently but for me I could either learn it via distance education (which is pretty much a waste of time) or not at all. No one in my home town spoke any French, and there's honestly no need to. University was sadly my own doing, but in my defence I started out in Engineering, where even taking English is a bit of a stretch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

^ I've lived in both cities for a period of longer than a full year, and without exaggeration I prefer Montreal's weather in totality. Sure, it gets cold, but it's generally always sunny and doesn't loving piss rain 10 months of the year.

Global warming means we're not getting pissed rain on all the time anymore, it's been pretty dry for a few years.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I admit I'm not a big fan of Montreal's muggy summer weather, mainly July-August.

There was a couple summers there where it wasn't too bad, but I remember waking up one morning at 5 AM and it was already 30 degrees.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lexicon posted:

I know people like you exist but only because Canada has like 35 million people. If people we were reasonable about their climate expectations we'd be completely depopulated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Apparently uni-lingual has been redefined as "does not speak French" instead of "only speaks one language."

I am indeed bilingual, but French is not one of the two languages I know (at least, not well enough to speak it or understand it very well).

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

I know people like you exist but only because Canada has like 35 million people. If people we were reasonable about their climate expectations we'd be completely depopulated.

To counter this argument I hate summer weather with a passion and generally prefer winter weather. In Alberta.

When I was growing up we took a summer vacation down to Florida, I hated the hot, sunny weather.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh yeah summers are terrible in most of Canada too.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Dreylad posted:

Really? Have you read the other CanPol thread at all?

You haven't seen my posting have you. My knowledge of politics runs from ignorant to active avoidance. I pay enough attention to reconfirm my decision to vote liberal every year on social issues and otherwise try my best to ignore it.

Also re: weather / Vancouver, I don't mind the rain since the summers are amazing and come with the choice, but not the requirement, to go play in several metres of snow in the winter.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

PT6A posted:

Apparently uni-lingual has been redefined as "does not speak French" instead of "only speaks one language."

I am indeed bilingual, but French is not one of the two languages I know (at least, not well enough to speak it or understand it very well).

The discussion was mostly focused on French. I can speak a smattering of Dutch and Spanish, as well as really basic Cantonese, but I didn't think it relevant to the discussion.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Well I really liked Montreal and some of the hottest, most exciting women I've ever dated were Montreal francophones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Climate wise I don't think I could survive anywhere outside of Victoria. Vancouver is too rainy for me, anywhere with super hot summers or super cold winters are a no-go too. It's good for the world though as it keeps me trapped at the tip of this little micro-climate. Hell the climate in Langford is too much of a change for me (gets hotter in the summer, specially with the whole thing being a parking lot). There's a lot of Europe I can handle, and probably places in the US, but I can't think of anywhere else in Canada.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

I assume you mean Alberta as the lower mainland in BC has a pretty strong french inmersion program which draws a lot from Maillardville which has a pretty sizable french community. A lot of people including myself in Coquitlam and surrounding areas went through the program as a result. It's been useful for me for personal and business trips to Quebec and France.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 7, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

cowofwar posted:

I assume you mean Alberta as the lower mainland in BC has a pretty strong french inmersion program which draws a lot from Mallardville which has a pretty sizable french community.

There are a few Albertan communities which have strong french backgrounds, such as St. Paul and Beaumont. The rest of Alberta, not so much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

I assume you mean Alberta as the lower mainland in BC has a pretty strong french inmersion program which draws a lot from Maillardville which has a pretty sizable french community. A lot of people including myself in Coquitlam and surrounding areas went through the program as a result. It's been useful for me for personal and business trips to Quebec and France.

That's really cool, I didn't know Coquitlam has a french community. Not a single person I know who went to french immersion in Victoria can do more than say their name and remember random vocab after a decade or two of being exposed to absolutely no french in their lives :( That's the ones who stayed in Victoria. The ones who ended up going to school out east retained and improved their french since they'd actually encounter living breathing francophones over there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

That's really cool, I didn't know Coquitlam has a french community. Not a single person I know who went to french immersion in Victoria can do more than say their name and remember random vocab after a decade or two of being exposed to absolutely no french in their lives :( That's the ones who stayed in Victoria. The ones who ended up going to school out east retained and improved their french since they'd actually encounter living breathing francophones over there.
Yeah, it's useless if you stay in BC but for a lot of young people they move east to Ontario for jobs and it can come in handy like myself.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I admit I'm not a big fan of Montreal's muggy summer weather, mainly July-August.

There was a couple summers there where it wasn't too bad, but I remember waking up one morning at 5 AM and it was already 30 degrees.

On the bright side hotter summers means more eye catching summer fashion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

etalian posted:

What, you don't like people bundled up so much they look like marshmallows?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

etalian posted:

All the teenagers in Ottawa already dress like Misty as soon as temperatures hit 10 in March, what the gently caress else could they not wear?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This country would have become the Former Yugoslav Republic of Canada years ago if it wasn't too cold to go outside most of the time.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

triplexpac posted:

What, you don't like people bundled up so much they look like marshmallows?

I find women in snow pants bewitching

No troll

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
China Wants Taxes Paid by Citizens Living Abroad

The New York Times posted:

Chinese officials chose the American definition of income, with its worldwide scope, in issuing their tax code in 1993. It remains in force today, although with many amendments.

Now, China is taking the first steps to enforce that broad definition.

Enforcement of the tax regulation and compliance has been low partly because China lacked data on its citizens’ overseas earnings and investments. But the Chinese government has seized on the continuing United States effort to gather more information on the overseas activities of American companies and citizens. China has simultaneously been negotiating with the United States and other countries to share information on overseas bank accounts belonging to Chinese citizens.

While China is taking a page from the United States playbook, Beijing’s tax policies in some ways are even tougher.

The top income tax bracket in China is 45 percent, compared with 35 percent in the United States. That top bracket for the Chinese kicks in at $12,900 a month.

The United States also allows expatriates to exempt a slowly rising sum of foreign earned income, which amounted to $99,200 last year. It then taxes the rest. In China, overseas citizens are eligible only for an extra deduction of $210 for each month they are overseas.

“The law has always been there — the enforcement has previously been lacking because of limited resources,” she said. “China is going to enforce some cases to let people know.”

Not that hugely rich Chinese investors have ever been enough of an influence to move the Toronto/Vancouver markets, but this will further put the lie to the common argument that they are and/or can be expected to continue doing so.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha gently caress mainlanders

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

What is with the fuzzy things on the rims of winter coats?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

It's some kind of fashion thing. It's been popular around here for years.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It started out as appealing to people who wanted to look hardcore by owning a parka, but were too cheap to buy an actual parka (or found them uncomfortably hot where they lived). A fashion statement with limited utility.

It's become more mainstream because faux-fur is massively popular on garments designed and produced in Asia. Like, I have seen leather jackets with a faux-fur rim. I don't get it. :psyduck:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It keeps your hair from icing up when its blustery out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And a lot of it now is real fur... so you have "progressive" yuppies who need to show they have the finest brand of outdoor gear wearing a bunch of real fur.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Baronjutter posted:

And a lot of it now is real fur... so you have "progressive" yuppies who need to show they have the finest brand of outdoor gear wearing a bunch of real fur.

Thats what fur is for. Wearing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's sort of funny to think about how this used to be an an actual issue which was broadly cared about on the left. I'm sure some people still do, but has it ever dropped off the zeitgeist.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

It provides a snow/windbreak and insulation without jamming an uncomfortably tight hood rim into your cheeks and face. It's incredibly handy when you're out working in -30ish weather - you can get away without having to wear a face wrap until it gets to -40 or so. I use mine when working in the Nunavik winter.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Decoy Badger posted:

It provides a snow/windbreak and insulation without jamming an uncomfortably tight hood rim into your cheeks and face. It's incredibly handy when you're out working in -30ish weather - you can get away without having to wear a face wrap until it gets to -40 or so. I use mine when working in the Nunavik winter.

Cool! I've seen them in movies and pictures, but never in person close enough, so I had no idea they were actually useful rather than just fashionable.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

Cool! I've seen them in movies and pictures, but never in person close enough, so I had no idea they were actually useful rather than just fashionable.

Its actually surprising how much of a difference they make. Its like they work some weird fluffy magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Make sure you get real fur and not synthetic though. Real fur doesn't really ice up from your breath, synthetic fur means you're wearing a giant ice rim in your hood after a half hour. Also seconding that it's a godsend when it's below minus 30.