Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I think it's a cultural difference. As an American, I see Colbert as the pinnacle of satire, both funny and incisive, whereas everything posted here from Charlie Hebdo seems crude and juvenile.

French humor, I've found, is either incredibly sarcastic and outright insulting or just toilet humor. A good example is the contrepèterie, which is just a naughty spoonerism. They are really difficult to make and all the amount to is the fact that you said cock or gently caress in an otherwise clean phrase. They love stuff like that.

Rorus Raz posted:

Satire is truly dead.

It really clearly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It would have made more sense for the label to be "Mainstream Media", but in the end Lester and McCoy are just using a tragedy to take potshots at people on their shitlist. Lester's is particularly bad since it's particularly transparent about its intent.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Rorus Raz posted:

It would have made more sense for the label to be "Mainstream Media", but in the end Lester and McCoy are just using a tragedy to take potshots at people on their shitlist. Lester's is particularly bad since it's particularly transparent about its intent.

I honestly find it almost comforting. Terrible things happen, but Lester and McCoy will always be there, willing to hijack current events to express their petty grudges.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

loquacius posted:

Ok cool so he is straight-up flat-out saying that what he wants is a new crusade against the entire Islamic world, just making sure

How does he think that would work exactly? We declare war on every single country with a Muslim majority and... then do what? What are our goals in this imagined war, apart from mass conversion to Christianity or genocide? Does he think we could just impose democracy? Even if we could, what would that accomplish? None of the people behind this attack or any other was a state actor; changing a government somewhere wouldn't stop them but the war that would require WOULD really piss them off.

Think more local: Red Scare, Japanese internment camps, deportation, etc. McCoy really doesn't give a poo poo about the rest of the world unless it vaguely affects him personally.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
1) the freedom to blaspheme and offend is a core part of the freedom of speech

2) corollary to 1, just because being able to blaspheme and offend is part of the freedom, it does not follow that the more you blaspheme and offend the free-er you are, or that exercising your freedom in a way that doesn't blaspheme and offend is you selling out that freedom

3) generally speaking, the more offensive and blasphemous something is, the cruder it is and the less nuance and understanding is contained in it, making it less useful as speech

4) people using their freedom of speech to express that they found what you did to be blasphemous and offensive is not intruding on your freedom to have said it in the first place or to continue to do so, as freedom of speech in the form of criticism is distinct from violence.

5) corollary to 3 & 4, if there exists a large body of people out to do violence or murder over speech, and especially over crude and inarticulate speech, the more important it is that it be said.

There, I think that about sums up the points everyone is trying to make as the talk over and past each other, and that point 2 is the main thing McCoy et al are missing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By far my favorite response to this was a cartoon some pages ago where the guys were like "We could make a cartoon in response but we have no creativity, so let's just kill them instead".

Responding to speech with anything but speech means you just lost the real fight, if you ask me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think everyone is talking past each other, Fried Chicken. There is some nuance to it. Some have expressed that the shock part of shock humor is effective because it immediately takes one out of complacency, while humor can otherwise serve as palliative cheerleading which shores up one's viewpoints instead of encouraging us to challenge them (I am paraphrasing, but I think I have their sentiment).

I don't agree with that point of view, but I can understand that it isn't a binary proposition, and that something like Onion Kelly does have to use offensive images to get its point across (although, I think the Onion image of all the religious figures loving each other is unnecessary and a bit pointless).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

WitchFetish posted:

Trust me, it's the first one. It's definitely intended to ridicule the conservative viewpoint of minorities getting all the benefits because :

-Boko Haram sex slaves most likely have more important issues to deal with
-They are not even in France
-The whole thing is definitively over the top

The mere fact it's so ambiguous to us is why the situation is volatile. While for you there is a correct interpretation of these cartoons that aligns with your (and probably the cartoonists') political beliefs, it doesn't actually matter when it comes to the wider discourse. How it's received is all that matters now. The fact remains that a subtle irony in the cartoons gets lost the more it's retweeted for ideological reasons. The fact remains that people are going to use this and their inflammatory style as a dogwhistle against Islam in toto, and that is a completely legitimate concern to have, even if it can be twisted into

"liberals hand-wringing about 'but what about the Muslims' in wake of tragedy lol' :smuggo:

Just watch as "I am Charlie" becomes loaded with bigoted political weight. Only need to look at the McCoy cartoons to show how right-wingers are spinning this into 'left-wing cartoonists abandoned by their pansy liberal ideals".

e: I'll be really interested to see how the next Charlie Hebdo reacts - whether it doubles down on the crass humour or what. We haven't seen the last of the kind of discussions this thread has seen is my feeling.

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 8, 2015

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Young Ted Rall, no! What are you doing??? :ohdear:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I hadn't heard that they were doing a remake of Re-Animator.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why hatchets.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

J_RBG posted:

The mere fact it's so ambiguous to us is why the situation is volatile. While for you there is a correct interpretation of these cartoons that aligns with your (and probably the cartoonists') political beliefs, it doesn't actually matter when it comes to the wider discourse. How it's received is all that matters now. The fact remains that a subtle irony in the cartoons gets lost the more it's retweeted for ideological reasons. The fact remains that people are going to use this and their inflammatory style as a dogwhistle against Islam in toto, and that is a completely legitimate concern to have, even if it can be twisted into

"liberals hand-wringing about 'but what about the Muslims' in wake of tragedy lol' :smuggo:

Just watch as "I am Charlie" becomes loaded with bigoted political weight. Only need to look at the McCoy cartoons to show how right-wingers are spinning this into 'left-wing cartoonists abandoned by their pansy liberal ideals".

I feel like this is an important point. The Hebdo cartoons might be intended as satire - I'll defer to the actual French people in the thread on that one - but to someone who's not familiar with the publication, or with French humor in general, the caricatures are indistinguishable from actual racist cartoons ala Kirschen. It's really, really not the kind of thing that should become the face of free speech, and if Hebdo are as anti-racist as people have indicated, I doubt it's what they would have wanted either.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kurtofan posted:

Why hatchets.

The black-haired man is Ramirez.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Considering that all the other caricatures are recognizable, it's weird that his Huckabee is so bad.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Apparently next week's issue of CH will be published on time with the assistance of various French publishing houses. Usual print run: 60,000. Next week's print run: 1,000,000.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

J_RBG posted:

e: I'll be really interested to see how the next Charlie Hebdo reacts - whether it doubles down on the crass humour or what. We haven't seen the last of the kind of discussions this thread has seen is my feeling.

While I don't exactly disagree with you, I'd like to point out that hateful racists like the McCoys, Lester and their ilk have shown no restraint in baselessly attacking muslims before anyway, so the current events won't change their output a lot, if at all. But otherwise I agree it's really important anyone who wants to know about the issue informs themselves as much as possible, and not limit themselves to just posting "I am Charlie" without understanding how french culture views freedom of speech and the relationship between church, state and the people.

One of the big questions right now in France is on whether or not the far-right Front National should be allowed to take part in the demonstrations of support that should take place this Sunday. Personally, I have nothing against them being there for 2 reasons : first off, I don't think it's right to censor people from expressing what they believe, even if their ideas are absolutely repugnant, secondly, most if not all mainstream french Muslim groups and organizations have said that they would take part in the demonstrations, so I think it would be better to have them try to take part and end up being drowned out by all the good, honest citizens who believe it's possible to have a multicultural France in which it's possible to coexist peacefully. I think it's really important for us right now to show that we're stronger than hate and violence.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

Considering that all the other caricatures are recognizable, it's weird that his Huckabee is so bad.

No, that's what Huckabee looks like now. He's filled out a bit since 2008.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-finally-put-in-charge-of-struggling-feminist-m,2338/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/black-guy-asks-nation-for-change,2409/

Are those satire articles sexist, racist, or classist?

Calling Charlie Hebdo cartoons racist or whatever because you didn't understand it is on the level of the idiots in America who misunderstand Onion articles and Kelly. Would it be "understandable" for terrorists to attack the editors and writers of the Onion?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

This one needs to add the MS Paint icon pointed at the gunman to represent Kirschen's input on the matter.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

J_RBG posted:

But enough about Kelly, the topic is Charlie Hebdo.

When you buy Charlie Hebdo, it's because you know what's inside. You know that the contents are irreverent and satirical, but also anti-racist, anti-capitalist, anti-conservative, anti-fascist, largely ecologist, pro-animal rights, and so on. The cartoonists' respective styles are well-known, and a Luz, Charb, Cabu or Tignous cartoon will immediately be recognized as such.
I managed to buy a copy of Charlie's latest issue. I'll photograph each page tomorrow, post them here with translations for each cartoon and context when needed. You'll get it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, I would have thought of Charlie Hebdo as something that would fit right in here on SA.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

fool_of_sound posted:

Man, Mr. Weatherbee got really homophobic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, I would have thought of Charlie Hebdo as something that would fit right in here on SA.

Are those supposed to be their Adam's apples in her hands, or did she pull their balls up through their clothes?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's a European cartoon so you have to assume balls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

loquacius posted:

Are those supposed to be their Adam's apples in her hands, or did she pull their balls up through their clothes?

Radish posted:

It's a European cartoon so you have to assume balls.

It's French, so yeah.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

There are two for each guy, so I'm thinking balls.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I see a very abstract loss.jpg, because I'm a terrible person and spend too much time in the meme thread.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

There are two for each guy, so I'm thinking balls.

The one guy in the middle is really getting the worst of it.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Radish posted:

The one guy in the middle is really getting the worst of it.

That's Berlusconi, flanked by Strauss-Kahn and a random catholic bishop.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

loquacius posted:

Balls.
The three men are an incarnation of the Catholic church, Silvio Berlusconi and Dominique Strauss-Kahn. The woman is Inna Shevchenko, the leader of a ukrainian feminist movement called the Femen who staged a few actions some years ago, protesting against the control of women's bodies by men (mostly through blasphemous desecrations of holy places and happenings where they were naked). The title means "The Femen take the matter in their own hands", there's a pun on "choses" which can mean balls or matters.

(Notice how there are no labels on the men, and yet they're instantly recognizable)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Rall :allears:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You cannot be loving serious

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

That is a fantastic edit.

except next time don't color letters like that. Pretty sure even Rall wouldn't randomly color some letters red and others black like that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but what about Todd Rool's syndicate money, huh? WHAT ABOUT IT NOW????!?!?!?!??!?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

This cartoon is literally the best thing I've seen all day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hahaha get hosed you tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He wrote an article about Charlie Hebdo that touches on the same theme: https://medium.com/the-nib/political-cartooning-is-almost-worth-dying-for-5fb3a0e79370

• Locked thread