Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh wow FW has bundles for things that actually have a discount. How very unGW of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
I'm trying to sell a bunch of my old crap and came across an ancient failure to get into Warhammer 40k.

I have no idea what the tanks are, so I'd appreciate it if you guys would be willing to identify them for me

Here they are:

Thanks!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Looks like 3 predators, two rhinos, and a Land Raider

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Avenger_Mullah posted:

I'm trying to sell a bunch of my old crap and came across an ancient failure to get into Warhammer 40k.

I have no idea what the tanks are, so I'd appreciate it if you guys would be willing to identify them for me

Here they are:

Thanks!

Back row, left to right: lascannon predator, land raider, rhino

Front row: lascannon predator, old-school rhino, modern rhino.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks a lot guys!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

Yeah my gut says go with Venom Cannons all the time on the Tyrannos. BS2 sucks, but you still have a good chance to roll a hit, and can pen anything with AV11 on the back. Since it has the scatter reduction rule like a Drop Pod, you can put it down in your desired location fairly reliably.

I'm a little confused about how instinctive fire works. You always target the closest enemy but can target multiple squads? Is that only used if there are equidistant targets? I thought you had to declare a units targets before all firing is rolled.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Thanks a lot guys!

Whoops, minor mistake here: front row, far right, that's a razorback. Which is pretty much a rhino with a gun on top, I just didn't notice it at first.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm a little confused about how instinctive fire works. You always target the closest enemy but can target multiple squads? Is that only used if there are equidistant targets? I thought you had to declare a units targets before all firing is rolled.

You measure from each weapon, so if you drop it between two targets, it could fire at both depending which is closest to which gun.

It's an MC though, so the guns aren't required to use any fixed firing arcs like on a vehicle.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lungboy posted:

Here's another try at an AdMech list, using only what comes in the Cybernetica Battlegroup. 1250pts on the nose:
Paragon of Metal is pretty mediocre; I wouldn't bother with it unless you're filling points and/or looking for fluff.

Multimeltas over the Plasma on the Thrallax is probably preferred. They're Relentless and you can buy Tank Hunter for them, which makes them pretty murderous to any kind of tank.

Contrawise, the Mauler cannon on Castellax is usually gonna be better, since you want to shoot its other guns at infantry. I like taking one Flamer one Bolter so I have two guns to shoot all the time, but it's admittedly a kinda weird setup. Enhanced Targeting is always the right call, it's fantastic for 15pts.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

GW forgot that monstrous creatures can shoot in any direction and draw ranges from their base when they wrote the rule, because obviously it's just like a Drop Pod right? So yeah, Instinctive Fire doesn't really do anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Hey Buffalo Chicken, two friends of mine are getting into Orks (One started a few months ago, the other is just getting back into them after a long foray into Guard) and I wanted to show them that Gargantuan Squiggoth you converted. However, when I checked your older posts pretty much all the pictures are dead links. :( Is there any way you could re-upload some of them?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

TKIY posted:

It's an MC though, so the guns aren't required to use any fixed firing arcs like on a vehicle.

Which the adepticon faq says they do. According to them, each gun has a 45 degree during arc. It's baffling how they could make a ruling like that when it has literally no basis on any rule in the rulebook.

I think they're getting that from how the model looks. Yeah, in that case it would make sense, but that's not how any other mc works.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Whoops, minor mistake here: front row, far right, that's a razorback. Which is pretty much a rhino with a gun on top, I just didn't notice it at first.

Oh, thanks for letting me know. Updated the eBay description with your new info

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Master Twig posted:

Which the adepticon faq says they do. According to them, each gun has a 45 degree during arc. It's baffling how they could make a ruling like that when it has literally no basis on any rule in the rulebook.

I think they're getting that from how the model looks. Yeah, in that case it would make sense, but that's not how any other mc works.

I think that's based on the white dwarf article that introduced the model. I really wish GW cared more about their products :(

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

panascope posted:

Please don't poorshame me because I only want to buy Safeway Select Juice. Some of us just can't afford Tropicana!

hahah owned. Trader Joes is now poorshaming.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 8, 2015

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

for some reason I imagined ghost hand to be younger

45 in March. I'm young at heart though.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

I am just getting into Warhammer 40k and I purchased an Imperial Guard army off Craigslist but I want to make sure it is legal for play before I go further.

I figured out the bulk of the army from the old codexes but there were fifty plastic models that I thought were Death Korps of Krieg and I found out that Games Workshop and Forge World do not make plastic Death Korps figurines.

Can I take these models down to play or will I have to buy the actual troops from Games Workshop to participate?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unless your opponent is the gooniest neckbeard ever (which I've had a few) no one is going to care. You do however need a copy of the latest rulebook and the Codex.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If you want to play in a GW store or something like that it's probably not kosher by them, but if you're just casual-playing with friends who are cool then who the gently caress cares?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Plastic DKoK sounds like Dreamforge Eisenkern

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Drythe posted:

Unless your opponent is the gooniest neckbeard ever (which I've had a few) no one is going to care. You do however need a copy of the latest rulebook and the Codex.

Thank you very much for the swift reply! One more quick question, due to the number of rules and special abilities, can I keep a visual marker of effects both positive and negative on the board, Warmachine style? If allowed do they frown on it if I do the same for my opponents pieces? I recently watched a YouTube battle report and the tiny group of Space Wolves had about eight special rules per unit and that's a lot of information for me to digest.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I guess my GW store is super chill since the manager wouldn't care, but I go to an independent store most of the time anyways.

Posigniat posted:

Thank you very much for the swift reply! One more quick question, due to the number of rules and special abilities, can I keep a visual marker of effects both positive and negative on the board, Warmachine style? If allowed do they frown on it if I do the same for my opponents pieces? I recently watched a YouTube battle report and the tiny group of Space Wolves had about eight special rules per unit and that's a lot of information for me to digest.

Again, depends on if the guy you are playing is a spergy neckbeard. Nothing is stopping you from having markers or a notebook to track poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Posigniat posted:

Go for it. I'm pretty sure someone in this thread (or one of the previous ones) had custom-made markers to denote all sorts of lingering effects (jink, soulblaze, pinned, etc).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Posigniat posted:

Anyone who objects to that and has no markers of their own is trying to cheat, and is upset that you are onto them

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Help me goons, I added the Cybernetica Battlegroup to my cart and tomorrow is payday. Someone tell me to not do this. I don't have any kids to deprive of juice so I can't come up with any cons.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Drythe posted:

Help me goons, I added the Cybernetica Battlegroup to my cart and tomorrow is payday. Someone tell me to not do this. I don't have any kids to deprive of juice so I can't come up with any cons.

Are you deaf to the horrified screams of your wallet?
If so, then welcome to the Mechanicus.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drythe posted:

Welcome to the AdMech fold. Your reign of Castellax-fuelled terror upon the marines and xenos is about to begin.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Drythe posted:

Really, you're probably going to end up with a second sooner or later, why not today?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Posigniat posted:

I am just getting into Warhammer 40k and I purchased an Imperial Guard army off Craigslist but I want to make sure it is legal for play before I go further.

I figured out the bulk of the army from the old codexes but there were fifty plastic models that I thought were Death Korps of Krieg and I found out that Games Workshop and Forge World do not make plastic Death Korps figurines.

Can I take these models down to play or will I have to buy the actual troops from Games Workshop to participate?

WELCOME TO THE GUARD, SON. :clint:

If you need help/advice, this is the thread for it.

Unfortunately I have to offer my condolences at the outset. You've joined a terrible hobby for terrible people. Soon you will have no juice.

IG is a good army but often needs a lot of bodies to get going. 50 is a great start though.

Next week I'm running a list with 6 Leman Russ', Manticore, Wyvern and a Knight. Going to be fun as all hell.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Drythe posted:

You'll buy two more so why not save on shipping and get them all at once?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The bundle is always over the free shipping limit though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Posigniat posted:

I'm actually curious what models you have. Could you post a picture? They aren't the Wargames Factory greatcoat guys are they?

I've got a bunch if you need more.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Next week I'm running a list with 6 Leman Russ', Manticore, Wyvern and a Knight.

Hail Satan.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

SRM posted:

I'm actually curious what models you have. Could you post a picture? They aren't the Wargames Factory greatcoat guys are they?

I've got a bunch if you need more.

Those are the exact guys! You are great sir and that is awesome, I was going through eBay results and couldn't find them. I'm not sure if I need more yet, what would I need to field a decent army?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well, the number of Guardsmen you need depends on the type of list you're running. I've played 1000 point lists with 100+ men on the table, but I'm a crazy person and that was a very specific build I was trying out where the entire point was to drown them in Guardsmen. If you're going for a balanced mech/infantry list then 50-70 could do you, or if you're going pure mech with veterans then 50 is about as many as you'll probably need. A foot horde will have as many as you can really fit. I tend to run two platoons of 30, plus 3 command squads for a total of 75, but I go up to 100+ in some 1850+ games, not counting heavy weapons teams. If you need more I have a bunch I'm looking to get rid of.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

SRM posted:

Well, the number of Guardsmen you need depends on the type of list you're running. I've played 1000 point lists with 100+ men on the table, but I'm a crazy person and that was a very specific build I was trying out where the entire point was to drown them in Guardsmen. If you're going for a balanced mech/infantry list then 50-70 could do you, or if you're going pure mech with veterans then 50 is about as many as you'll probably need. If you need more I have a bunch I'm looking to get rid of.

What are the prices on those figures sir? I could always get them now and later on use them without having to search around and they pre fit the theme.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Posigniat posted:

What are the prices on those figures sir? I could always get them now and later on use them without having to search around and they pre fit the theme.

Let me see how many I've got, if you live in the US they'll be cheap. Give me an email address and we can talk more there.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Here is the entirety of what I have painted so far. Apparently, my camera work needs help as well.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Uroboros posted:

Here is the entirety of what I have painted so far. Apparently, my camera work needs help as well.

Looks good, but get them bases done son.

Basic gravel or whatever, grey base cost, rotting flesh drybrush, dark grey or green base rims. Makes models look so so so much better.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

SRM posted:

Let me see how many I've got, if you live in the US they'll be cheap. Give me an email address and we can talk more there.

waltersonman@gmail.com sir! Thank you very much for your swift find of what they were. Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uroboros posted:

Looks great! As much as people hate on them, well painted Ultramarines are pretty cool. You just need to base your mold lines.

I just got more guardsmen/women from Victoria, including some wicked looking mortars (and some random plasma cannons?). I need another Taurox, another lemon russ, and something for fast attack and I will have the perfect allies for my sisters!

• Locked thread