Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Man, throw in a drone and this is peak Rall. "Hmm, a bunch of people were just killed over their cartoons... but how can I make this about me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Neve?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN HERE
:confused:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Pander posted:

That is a fantastic edit.

except next time don't color letters like that. Pretty sure even Rall wouldn't randomly color some letters red and others black like that.

http://rall.com/

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

And because Al Qaida isn't going to bother going after a rag like The News anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

If only those armed guards who got murdered were armed this wouldn't have happened :argh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What could that headline on the left be?
XO
ITS
:tinfoil:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Looks like he tried correcting it too, color isn't quite right.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

prefect posted:

He wrote an article about Charlie Hebdo that touches on the same theme: https://medium.com/the-nib/political-cartooning-is-almost-worth-dying-for-5fb3a0e79370

I love that part

quote:

They had sought me out, partly as fans of my work — for whatever reason, my stuff seems to travel well overseas 

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

It got missed by all the glory that is Rall basically being an unironic Kelly, but this is some amazing backhanded victim blaming poo poo. If only they were armed! Because mass shootings never happen in America where everyone's armed. What's that, they literally had an armed guard?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Che News?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Nonsense, this is a new year!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Oh, Rall :allears: I can always count on you to be yourself.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Who the gently caress- Ted Rall must live up his own anus.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Ah, well, that explains it - they can't afford a cartoonist because they've had nothing to write about for almost half a century.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Well, compared to the vile poo poo that is being produced in discussions about the attacks, not even the lovely cartoons don't bug me too much.

Except Muir and Lester, gently caress those guys.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cpt.Americant posted:

It got missed by all the glory that is Rall basically being an unironic Kelly, but this is some amazing backhanded victim blaming poo poo. If only they were armed! Because mass shootings never happen in America where everyone's armed. What's that, they literally had an armed guard?

I think Branco drew a self-portrait and i'm willing to believe he has a gun on him 24/7

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

So is he ambidextrous or is he wearing two pistols Yosemite Sam style?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cpt.Americant posted:

Giving Branco the benefit of the doubt here but he could just have drawn a gun on himself to show that he's just as vulnerable to being attacked for drawing people badly and therefore feels some solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists.

Or it could just be that Branco is a huge poo poo. It's probably that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Hatred of Rall is what binds this thread together. :allears:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Would have put this in my last post, but it just went up on AAEC.

Truly a moving tribute.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

But just to compare:

I seriously can't see the difference, other than one has better art.

Edit: and at least Kelly isn't piggybacking off of 12 dead people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gilganixon posted:

Giving Branco the benefit of the doubt here but he could just have drawn a gun on himself to show that he's just as vulnerable to being attacked for drawing people badly and therefore feels some solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists.

This is what I was thinking. If he thought the cartoonists should be armed, he'd have been less subtle and sympathetic towards them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brannock posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-finally-put-in-charge-of-struggling-feminist-m,2338/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/black-guy-asks-nation-for-change,2409/

Are those satire articles sexist, racist, or classist?

Calling Charlie Hebdo cartoons racist or whatever because you didn't understand it is on the level of the idiots in America who misunderstand Onion articles and Kelly. Would it be "understandable" for terrorists to attack the editors and writers of the Onion?

I think these are okay, but there are things the Onion has done that I disapprove of. You can approve of some satire while thinking that other satire goes too far.

That Rall is peak Rall.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Not My Leg posted:

Truly a moving tribute.

Worst birthday cakes ever.

Although getting a gravity defying pen was pretty cool. Even if the government is now hunting me down to obtain the technology a la ET.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Not My Leg posted:

Truly a moving tribute.

ROSS....GOSSE....MUST....LABEL.....

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Ted Rall's only subject: the unconscionably graceless way in which the world revolves around him, and why it needs to buck its ideas up sharpish if it wants to retain such a vast honour

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

So is he ambidextrous or is he wearing two pistols Yosemite Sam style?

Someone didn't watch Breaking Bad, I take it.

If you're sitting down it's harder to draw your gun if it's on the same side as your dominant hand, so you want to cross-draw instead. At least that's what the TV taught me, I know absolutely nothing about guns :shobon:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cpt.Americant posted:

But just to compare:

I seriously can't see the difference, other than one has better art.

Edit: and at least Kelly isn't piggybacking off of 12 dead people.

What the hell. The poses of the people and set piece are like the same thing.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

prefect posted:

This is what I was thinking. If he thought the cartoonists should be armed, he'd have been less subtle and sympathetic towards them.

Hadn't thought of that.. I think you're right. If the point was "they should have had guns" I think that might be the most subtle Bronco ever by a mile. So he probably was just drawing himself and is the kind of person that does everything while armed.

Edit: On further thought though, Bronco is terrible and the terrible way to read it is exactly "they should have had guns, then this wouldn't have happened."

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2015

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Flowers For Algeria posted:

But enough about Kelly, the topic is Charlie Hebdo.

When you buy Charlie Hebdo, it's because you know what's inside. You know that the contents are irreverent and satirical, but also anti-racist, anti-capitalist, anti-conservative, anti-fascist, largely ecologist, pro-animal rights, and so on. The cartoonists' respective styles are well-known, and a Luz, Charb, Cabu or Tignous cartoon will immediately be recognized as such.
I managed to buy a copy of Charlie's latest issue. I'll photograph each page tomorrow, post them here with translations for each cartoon and context when needed. You'll get it.

Kelly I feel is so much less crass there isn't such a danger of its being reappropriated. Your context is not the one that people in the Anglosphere share, and when the photo of an angry Muslim is shared, the crude, offensive, stereotyped drawing of a Muslim is one that sticks out - big noses, brown skin, big bushy beards - it's hardly a devastating critique of an oppressive ideology that people with a sense for social justice should avoid. Instead, it's bound to be popular among the types of people the left shouldn't want to associate with, in the Anglosphere at least. You can rest assured they don't care at all about the nuances of the context of French satire or the actual contents of the magazine. This is why debate and critique of the cartoons is so necessary. The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation, it says their cartoons aren't great vehicles for their message now that the magazine has a lot more exposure, obviously in a way completely unintended and completely undeserved by the cartoonists.

But, now I consider France's history with Muslims, it's hard for me to accept those caricatures exist solely in the context you're pushing here.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maybe Ward Sutton is a time traveler and his cartoon is making fun of Ted Rall before he even posted it. :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cpt.Americant posted:

Hadn't thought of that.. I think you're right. If the point was "they should have had guns" I think that might be the most subtle Bronco ever by a mile. So he probably was just drawing himself and is the kind of person that does everything while armed.
No, I'm pretty sure his whole punchline is "If France had gun...".

J_RBG posted:

Kelly I feel is so much less crass there isn't such a danger of its being reappropriated. Your context is not the one that people in the Anglosphere share, and when the photo of an angry Muslim is shared, the crude, offensive, stereotyped drawing of a Muslim is one that sticks out - big noses, brown skin, big bushy beards - it's hardly a devastating critique of an oppressive ideology that people with a sense for social justice should avoid. Instead, it's bound to be popular among the types of people the left shouldn't want to associate with, in the Anglosphere at least. You can rest assured they don't care at all about the nuances of the context of French satire or the actual contents of the magazine. This is why debate and critique of the cartoons is so necessary. The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation, it says their cartoons aren't great vehicles for their message now that the magazine has a lot more exposure, obviously in a way completely unintended and completely undeserved by the cartoonists.

But, now I consider France's history with Muslims, it's hard for me to accept those caricatures exist solely in the context you're pushing here.

Out of curiosity, are you American?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Someone didn't watch Breaking Bad, I take it.

If you're sitting down it's harder to draw your gun if it's on the same side as your dominant hand, so you want to cross-draw instead. At least that's what the TV taught me, I know absolutely nothing about guns :shobon:

True, but is he going to cross draw across his back?

Edit: Would totally be Matrix crazy if he did. But if you're a cartoonist sitting in a desk chair, it makes things kinda complicated.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

True, but is he going to cross draw across his back?

Edit: Would totally be Matrix crazy if he did. But if you're a cartoonist sitting in a desk chair, it makes things kinda complicated.

He'd draw and fire blind over his shoulder, natch. :911:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought I could have seen a mild, non-offensive Branco for the first time, then I noticed the gun :smith:. Jesus Branco.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

No, I'm pretty sure his whole punchline is "If France had gun...".

Out of curiosity, are you American?

British. It's quite obvious I'm not French.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hahaha Ted you unbelievable fucker!

On the subject of the French attacks I just hope now that Euro governments/people don't play directly into the terrorists hands by punishing their peaceful Muslim populations. It would just really suck if there was yet another horrific terrorist attack that gave the perpetrators everything they wanted :sigh:

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe Ward Sutton is a time traveler and his cartoon is making fun of Ted Rall before he even posted it. :stare:

So your assumption is that anyone cares enough about Ted Rall to invent a form of time travel just to lay down a burn against Ted Rall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Hahaha Ted you unbelievable fucker!

On the subject of the French attacks I just hope now that Euro governments/people don't play directly into the terrorists hands by punishing their peaceful Muslim populations. It would just really suck if there was yet another horrific terrorist attack that gave the perpetrators everything they wanted :sigh:

Some are probably gonna use this as an excuse to pass some lovely legislation, but I don't think France is going to be one of them.

• Locked thread