Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MJP posted:

But Mr Bert 90rat, this is a position with driver WINDOWS development in PE OR IA, Wisc. Do you not think yo umight be a little interest in job in PE OR IA, Wisc.?

What is LIE NIX? Oh you only have 4 years of experience? That is far to little! (My resume says 4 years of experience.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I had a recruiter call me and talk up this pre-sales engineer-ish position, schedule a phone screen with the guys and tell me he'll call back an hour before the call to just go over stuff and make sure I'm feeling good. That seemed cool!

Then 40 minutes before the call is supposed to happen the CEO of the recruitment firm calls me and proceeds to say "Hmm, your resume is missing a lot of the stuff they're looking for for this position, so get some canned responses ready for the call."

They ended up doing an in-person with me, but this place also had me fill out a 4 page application thing that included asking for my high school GPA (I have a degree from Tufts) and how I paid for college. I called the recruiter back and yelled at him about the sheer amount of bullshit this was, filled half of it out (part of that was non-answers) and did the interview anyway because I'm stupid, and the company said I didn't have the technical skills they were looking for.

Which is weird because they didn't ask me any loving technical questions in the phone screen or interview.

Every recruiter I seem to find/that finds me seem to just put my resume on their stationary and that's about it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a recruiter call me and talk up this pre-sales engineer-ish position, schedule a phone screen with the guys and tell me he'll call back an hour before the call to just go over stuff and make sure I'm feeling good. That seemed cool!

Then 40 minutes before the call is supposed to happen the CEO of the recruitment firm calls me and proceeds to say "Hmm, your resume is missing a lot of the stuff they're looking for for this position, so get some canned responses ready for the call."

They ended up doing an in-person with me, but this place also had me fill out a 4 page application thing that included asking for my high school GPA (I have a degree from Tufts) and how I paid for college. I called the recruiter back and yelled at him about the sheer amount of bullshit this was, filled half of it out (part of that was non-answers) and did the interview anyway because I'm stupid, and the company said I didn't have the technical skills they were looking for.

Which is weird because they didn't ask me any loving technical questions in the phone screen or interview.

Every recruiter I seem to find/that finds me seem to just put my resume on their stationary and that's about it.

I had a recruiter once ask me for my cumulative college GPA, major GPA, high school GPA, and SAT scores.

"Our client is only looking for top candidates," they answered without a drop of irony in their voice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MJP posted:

I had a recruiter once ask me for my cumulative college GPA, major GPA, high school GPA, and SAT scores.

"Our client is only looking for top candidates," they answered without a drop of irony in their voice.

Pay is 40k to start but they have great benefits!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJP posted:

This. I've had upwards of 50-60 emails and calls from Indian recruiters seeing if I was interested for a job in Trenton. If I don't pick up they just keep calling back.

Edit: just now, another one!

it's a loving awful commute and I'm not interested

Glassdoor, though. My MSP job was a good place with great people, but the senior techs were so buddy-buddy with management that nothing got delegated down in terms of meaningful projects. Someone put a review up on Glassdoor, then someone else, and it ended up being three or four of 'em. Cue one or two "this place is wodnerflu!!11!" obvious plants, and an all-hands meeting where we all got screamed at.

"Nobody ever TELLS us anything about being unhappy!" we were told in more words, with plenty of ignoring of when I and others like me asked to be involved with Exchange upgrade X, VMware migration Y, etc.

I actually got pulled in privately after that, being asked if it was me, which - in all goon truth - it wasn't. I had to swear up and down and basically attest that given my wife was sick and not working, why would I do something dumb at my job like that?

Two completed MCSAs and another Glassdoor war later, I asked if I could talk to the boss with my two weeks' notice letter in hand. He said he wanted to talk anyway, and showed me an angry email that was sent directly to him and other senior people there, basically repeating the claims of the Glassdoor war. He asked if it was me, again I swore it wasn't, telling him I felt pretty insulted that I was the continued target. I ended up saying "if it was me, I'd have timed it better, because I didn't want to part like this. Here's my two weeks' notice."

He understood my reasons after I iterated them, but still, Glassdoor wars.

I shouldn't complain. As a result of all the hullabaloo thereafter and me getting my certs + linking them to the company's MS partner page, they gave me a lovely promotion from remote helpdesk to client handhold desktop support.

Glassdoor turned the last place I worked into crazy town for a bit. We had a few years with bad middle management (although mine was great) where there was literally 30-40% annual turnover in a professional software company and our glassdoor reviews reflected that.

We ended up with a C-level executive (it was pretty obvious who it was from the posts) engaging and personally attacking the reviewers on glassdoor, and our CEO eventually had to end up getting involved and calling in some favors with some executives at Glassdoor to get things cleaned up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Glassdoor turned the last place I worked into crazy town for a bit. We had a few years with bad middle management (although mine was great) where there was literally 30-40% annual turnover in a professional software company and our glassdoor reviews reflected that.

We ended up with a C-level executive (it was pretty obvious who it was from the posts) engaging and personally attacking the reviewers on glassdoor, and our CEO eventually had to end up getting involved and calling in some favors with some executives at Glassdoor to get things cleaned up.

I love how it's Glassdoor they tried to clean up and not their lovely practices.

ratbert90 posted:

Pay is 40k to start but they have great benefits!

For white-glove desktop support, nonetheless!*

*you will have lawyers literally throw their Blackberries at you telling you it's broken before they storm out to grab a laptop to throw, before realizing it's stuck in the dock, so they call you to yell at you to come and undock it and then just throw it at yourself

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJP posted:

I love how it's Glassdoor they tried to clean up and not their lovely practices.

Well, that happened too, but I think there was a concern over "holy poo poo, we are going to get loving wrecked in court"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
See it's funny because the last place I worked at the president made an account on Glassdoor to call out all the bad posts as "Bad workers who were bad apples and were fired so that's why they are disgruntled".

Which to me is hilarious because one of those reviews was mine and I sure as hell wasn't fired. That place was a poo poo show.

Pretty sure he managed to smuggle some drug lords/terrorists into the country accidentally. Hired a programmer from some foreign country, get him a visa. We go to pick them up from the airport and they are no where to be found.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aww fudge, Abhi from IDC Technologies - THE IDC Technologies - has a position that's actually kinda right up my alley and what I'm looking for. :-(

Might as well see how deep this rabbit hole goes, I'd sure love to go down in goon history as the P-p-p-powerbook! equivalent of SH/SC.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

THE IDC Technologies
Care to illuminate me?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Care to illuminate me?

Surely you've heard of IDC Technologies!

Because I sure haven't nor do I think I ever will, given the call-center background noise and address in San Jose.

it's sarcasm but I blame the plaintext medium's failure to convey tone very well

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

holy poo poo is right. Day 3 on the job here I don't think HR even knew I was an employee yet.

It took 9 months for my firm to get around to giving me access to the project code interface so I can code my time properly. There was a big project that happened during that period where this would have mattered and I wasn't just doing the usual stuff the whole time. If I want to change my W4 allowances, I have to fax it in because the web portal widget for this is broken and hasn't been fixed in 2 years. :psyduck: I'm dreading moving banks and changing my direct deposit as I'm sure that will be retarded too.

This is a major company that all of you have heard of.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

Aww fudge, Abhi from IDC Technologies - THE IDC Technologies - has a position that's actually kinda right up my alley and what I'm looking for. :-(

Might as well see how deep this rabbit hole goes, I'd sure love to go down in goon history as the P-p-p-powerbook! equivalent of SH/SC.

Let us know if they ask for your DoB and SSN on the first phone conversation. Apparently that's something they do (did?) according to Glass Door review on doing Interviews with them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

Surely you've heard of IDC Technologies!

Because I sure haven't nor do I think I ever will, given the call-center background noise and address in San Jose.

it's sarcasm but I blame the plaintext medium's failure to convey tone very well

Oh, I'm sorry - I'm just so used to all of those companies having whitenoise names that I thought there might be some special goon history with IDC. Oops. :x

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
MJP's going to work as an offshore in India. Clearly a :yotj: ?

:stare:

I have never heard of them that I recall either, so do tell. Hopefully I'll have my own :yotj: if I can get a network admin job in my town, which would mean I could legitimately walk to work. That's supposed to be a great thing, right?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

MJP's going to work as an offshore in India. Clearly a :yotj: ?

:stare:

I have never heard of them that I recall either, so do tell. Hopefully I'll have my own :yotj: if I can get a network admin job in my town, which would mean I could legitimately walk to work. That's supposed to be a great thing, right?

Right up until they call you on your day off with "Well, you're just around the corner..."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, they're outsourced recruiters. The client's in NYC.

I'm gonna go full #yolo on this and abandon all pleasantries in communication with them.

I just asked for the name of the client and the location...

I think that you guys were onto something, they're recruiting for Tata Consultancy Services. Hot drat, I'd be the guy that the outsources outsource to!

Let's continue being brusque in our replies~

me in response to 'please let me know your salary expectation' posted:

I'd like to refrain from giving out a salary expectation as it might color the discussion unfavorably for either me or TCS. If things are a good fit once I'm submitted and can talk to the hiring manager and/or hiring team at the client, then we can see what range they're offering and can work from there.

Is this a full-time direct placement, or is it contract to hire?

Your move, Indian recruiter :smug:

Edit: in b4 "but who outsources the outsourcers?"

Rorshachshek posted:

They will look at me and shout "submit us!" and I will answer "please let me know your salary expectation"

Edit 2: the Search for Longer Posts

They're actually offering a decent salary and benefits as a full-time direct placement O_O

Why not! Let's move forward.

me again posted:

Once I know the physical location, I can sound off on the salary, but so far it's within specifications. The location part is a big thing - some parts of Manhattan are a strenuous commute, others are better. Once you know where it'll be, kindly revert the info and I'll advise if we can move forward.

feels good man

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 8, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
"What is your salary. Please do the needful and respond"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've worked with TCS employees many times, but never the company itself. Dollars to donuts you'd be a permanent employee to TCS but farmed out to some other company for a long-term engagement, quite possibly equal in length to the time you'd be with TCS.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They have two offices in NYC, one in Lower Manhattan and one a block from Grand Central. The former is 1 World Financial Center, which I think has a slight issue location-wise, being that it got cratered a few years back. The other... bleh. Not so great for Jersey, but doable, especially at that salary range, but I A) don't do as well in huge giant companies as I do in smaller ones, and B) would mean if I take this, I contribute to the continuation of lovely Indian outsourced recruiting. We shall see.

Ironically enough their Jersey office is a very easy and nice commute that I'd love to be involved with.

Wow, it's 3 AM in Calcutta - he's up late, or I guess they all are.

No response yet to confirm physical location, or maybe he sensed the sarcasm dripping from my response like so much syrup from so much gulab jamun.

Ironically, I love Indian food - got raised on it - and I always got on well with Indian co-workers everywhere.

Edit: ^
Yeah, Tata did the network engineering for a major client at my MSP job. From what little I know about them, the Tata conglomerate has a company or companies involved in making, consulting, un-making, and thinking about making any conceivable good or service. Who knows, maybe this will work out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

me again posted:
... kindly revert the info and I'll advise if we can move forward.

Looks like you're speaking their language, at least.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Looks like you're speaking their language, at least.

That's the plan. I hope I get occasion for him to undertake a task soon so I can unironically have him do the needful.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

so I can unironically have him do the needful.
Not possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

This application had a spot for SAT score too, I think. Are you in NYC?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

They have two offices in NYC, one in Lower Manhattan and one a block from Grand Central. The former is 1 World Financial Center, which I think has a slight issue location-wise, being that it got cratered a few years back.

1 WFC is across the West Side Highway from 1 WTC. There's like a dozen ferries from NJ that run pretty much right to it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Manslaughter posted:

That's t-shirt weather here, let me know when your wind chill is -40ºF!

That should happen here later tonight (west side of the state).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Even most of the positive Glassdoor reviews of one of my previous companies complain about the very low pay and lack of raises (when I left them for another job, my salary wasn't even on the bell curve for my position on most salary review sites).

Now I see their latest review says "It was an interesting place to work, I just wish it wasn't an unpaid internship, and it would have been nice to be reimbursed for travel expenses...", so apparently they've found a new way to lower their labor costs even more. :v: I do wonder if "travel expenses" meant "help cover the cost of getting to work" or if it was a "Go to southeast Asia for a month on your own dime to train our outsourced phone support" request like they tried to pull on me once...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dennyk posted:

Even most of the positive Glassdoor reviews of one of my previous companies complain about the very low pay and lack of raises (when I left them for another job, my salary wasn't even on the bell curve for my position on most salary review sites).

Now I see their latest review says "It was an interesting place to work, I just wish it wasn't an unpaid internship, and it would have been nice to be reimbursed for travel expenses...", so apparently they've found a new way to lower their labor costs even more. :v: I do wonder if "travel expenses" meant "help cover the cost of getting to work" or if it was a "Go to southeast Asia for a month on your own dime to train our outsourced phone support" request like they tried to pull on me once...

I still don't understand how people do unpaid internships.

That poo poo is unheard of here in Canada.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A 6 month unpaid internship was a requirement for my graduation.
"Think of all the exposure you're getting the college yourselves!"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

A 6 month unpaid internship was a requirement for my graduation.
"Think of all the exposure you're getting the college yourselves!"

A 6 month paid internship was a requirement for mine. Which lead into a full time job.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

m.hache posted:

You live in a country where the fresh college grad isn't treated like a disposable battery.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

No it's not. It's technically illegal but it happens pretty often.

Manslaughter posted:

You live in a country where the fresh college grad isn't treated like a disposable battery.

nah we're ruining the value of a university education too, don't worry!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Manslaughter posted:

Nothing says 'welcome to the workforce' better

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

nah we're ruining the value of a university education too, don't worry!

The best move was going to a community college. Instant placement into the field upon completion.

My sister went to University and couldn't get a single placement. After 1 year at the local community college brushing up on certain skills she was instantly placed and now is full time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

m.hache posted:

A 6 month paid internship was a requirement for mine. Which lead into a full time job.

What a poo poo requirement.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

This application had a spot for SAT score too, I think. Are you in NYC?

Yeah, this job was in the city. I forget where it was, this was a few years back.

Anyway, Operation R-r-r-recruiter continues in earnest. The end result is working at Citibank or Barclay's. At this point I'm not even considering it, I think in the calculus of things I'm still happy enough where I am, but I definitely don't want to work for a giant company contracting out to another giant company.

All that remains: how do we gently caress with this Indian recruiter?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Sickening posted:

I think he means that the paid internship was a requirement to get the degree - not to get the job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

seadweller posted:

I think he means that the paid internship was a requirement to get the degree - not to get the job.

And that is why I called it poo poo. I get the spirit of it, but its just one of those things that screws over students who are paying there own way.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sickening posted:

And that is why I called it poo poo. I get the spirit of it, but its just one of those things that screws over students who are paying there own way.

Depends on how the place handles it. My brother did 2-3 paid internships as he paid his way through school, and he only paid for 1 credit hour per semester (a few hundred bucks I think), and the school made sure he got the whole shebang: paid housing, decent pay for being effectively a temp. He managed to pay for out of state Georgia Tech tuition prices while still saving enough to buy a relatively nice used car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

It was a placement between 3rd and 4th semester. The job paid $4 more than minimum wage.

You got on site experience, more money than working at a fast food restaurant and were better prepared for the working world. How is that lovely?

• Locked thread