Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Require More Fire posted:

My big gripe about Google Photos backups is that there's no dedicated place to go and see just photos that you had backed-up, nor is there a way to bulk download just those photos. When you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

Yes, this is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What's wrong with Google Photos? I agree it's a little clunky, but I'm amazed I can search for stuff like "photos of a bookcase" and it finds pictures of bookcases I took two years ago.

The UI is an abomination on the web side, I didn't like how it resized photos, and how if you didn't want it to do that you had to let it use your Google Drive space. Without it letting you know which photos were using up Drive space besides 'uhhh kind of a lot i guess' on the storage space pie chart thing.

So now I just cut the bullshit and use something that actually syncs from a folder I want on my phone to a folder I want on Google Drive. I can sort them how I like, find them whenever I want, and that's that.

[e] like everything Google+ there's The Google Way or a life of half-measures and kinda-works: but to be honest I don't even think Google know what that Way is any more besides 'a whole load of weasel worded checkboxes in Options that let us use your social data'

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 8, 2015

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

when you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

I HATE this, I ranted about the same thing in the app thread. From my searching there's no way to keep hangouts from doing it, but I've found that simply signing out of g+ from the photos app at least keeps them from showing in phone's gallery, so I don't sweat bullets any time I hand my phone to someone to show them a photo and pray to god they don't start swiping through my pics.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My big gripe about Google Photos backups is that there's no dedicated place to go and see just photos that you had backed-up, nor is there a way to bulk download just those photos. When you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

Dunno about bulk downloads, but if you go to your pics and click in the search box you get an Auto Backup category

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about bulk downloads, but if you go to your pics and click in the search box you get an Auto Backup category

Oh. Nice.

Certainly not where I'd think to look for that, but oh well...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Oh. Nice.

I only just found it :v: I was hoping there'd be some Gmail-style filter hints if I started typing 'from:' or something, but there it was

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

XIII posted:

No, your nudes are safe.

good, i carefully curate who my dick pics go to and i don't want some rando on g+ seeing them

:v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

baka kaba posted:

Hallelujah. At least we're half-way there, then. Good find.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

You can check a bunch and bulk download, is that what you want?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Trisk posted:

Is anybody else still waiting on their Black Friday Tylt Vu?

I'm still waiting too, getting kinda antsy.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Now that Moto is releasing the Moto Pro which is a rebadged Nexus 6 with the Moto customizations I sure do hope we see Moto Display, Moto Assist, and all the other goodies on the app store for devices that can support it... like the Nexus 6. I would much prefer the Moto customizations to the default active display that works ~15% of the time that Google put on the N6.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Turnquiet posted:

Now that Moto is releasing the Moto Pro which is a rebadged Nexus 6 with the Moto customizations I sure do hope we see Moto Display, Moto Assist, and all the other goodies on the app store for devices that can support it... like the Nexus 6. I would much prefer the Moto customizations to the default active display that works ~15% of the time that Google put on the N6.

You won't see any of those features released on the play store. The N6 doesn't have the custom firmware that allows them to work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Technically, they're all on the Play store, they're just not available to most devices.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=moto%20display

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Technically, they're all on the Play store, they're just not available to most devices.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=moto%20display

It says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." even though I have it installed :laugh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Oh. Nice.

This should be the official motto for Google apps.

Turnquiet posted:

I really hope someone ports those features to the Nexus 6 individually. The voice control of the Moto X was awful ("say a command" *phone displays '...' civilizations rise and fall, new species evolve and go extinct, continents drift, phone finally responds) but the first thing I did when I got my Nexus was trying a way to make it emulate the Moto X twist gesture.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I've probably glanced over this but I have a Google Now question I can't find the answer to on google, or maybe I'm not phrasing it properly.

Is there no way to change your mode of transportation depending on the end location for the Traffic/Navigation cards?

When I'm going to work I ONLY use transit, but when I'm going to the gym I ONLY drive. It seems like right now you only have one choice for ALL locations. I like the feature for Work but it's annoying to always get the pop up for the gym showing me bus info.

I either want to split mode of transportation based on destination, or if I can't then block cards for destinations using alternative methods from the "default", and it seems like neither of those are options right now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TollTheHounds posted:

I've probably glanced over this but I have a Google Now question I can't find the answer to on google, or maybe I'm not phrasing it properly.

Is there no way to change your mode of transportation depending on the end location for the Traffic/Navigation cards?

When I'm going to work I ONLY use transit, but when I'm going to the gym I ONLY drive. It seems like right now you only have one choice for ALL locations. I like the feature for Work but it's annoying to always get the pop up for the gym showing me bus info.

I either want to split mode of transportation based on destination, or if I can't then block cards for destinations using alternative methods from the "default", and it seems like neither of those are options right now.
When I used my Moto X, I would get alerts for traffic on I95 (southwest CT) while I was on the train because they run pretty much parallel and are side by side a lot. Moto Assist offered to go into driving mode while I was on the train until I disabled it for that reason. They could probably identify which bus or train you're on with the data they have, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon because I think people would be creeped out to find that Google can track you that well. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year and a half to two years they roll it out as a beta feature in Maps and Now, but it will come out as an experimental feature playing dumb about how refined and accurate it can be until they have enough people in beta.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Turnquiet posted:

I'm still waiting too, getting kinda antsy.
Mine showed up on monday/tuesday. Relax, it'll get there.
Amusingly, I still haven't been charged.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The whole thing is hilarious. A buddy of mine got a blue one during the sale. Finally game 2 weeks ago. They call him and offer him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Couple days later a different rep calls him and offers him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Now he's got 3 blue Vu's and hasn't been charged for the 1st. :v:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

According to the Droid by Motorola Instagram account, lollipop is scheduled for a 'Spring 2015' release for the Turbo

:sadwave:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The whole thing is hilarious. A buddy of mine got a blue one during the sale. Finally game 2 weeks ago. They call him and offer him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Couple days later a different rep calls him and offers him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Now he's got 3 blue Vu's and hasn't been charged for the 1st. :v:
I wish they would call me to offer a free one.
Don't think I gave them a phone number though, I usually don't.

Is the n7 just not very good with the vu? It doesn't want to charge while standing upright on mine. Thus the vu is at work and my old qi pad is still trucking away at home.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

Is the n7 just not very good with the vu? It doesn't want to charge while standing upright on mine. Thus the vu is at work and my old qi pad is still trucking away at home.

The coil on the N7 is closer to the top of the device which means it wont charge standing up, only landscape.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

According to the Droid by Motorola Instagram account, lollipop is scheduled for a 'Spring 2015' release for the Turbo

:sadwave:

Good, I don't want it on my primary communication device until Google gets their poo poo in order.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Good, I don't want it on my primary communication device until Google gets their poo poo in order.

I've had lollipop preview then release on my primary communication device since, what, June? It owns

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

I've had lollipop preview then release on my primary communication device since, what, June? It owns

We've been down this road already. It's great that you're a special snowflake that has no issues on lollipop. It's been a huge regression for many people and the loving bugs are DOCUMENTED and confirmed by Google anyways. They've even halted their own rollouts to their own devices.

poo poo is broke. We need to wait for them to fix it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

Design decisions like the notification volume/popup control aside, ownage confirmed

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls? I moved from the Moto X 2013 and it seems about the same. I think Samsung had the best controls with the volume rocker bringing up that little gear option that allows you to adjust individual volumes for notifications, ringers, and more importantly media. I was disappointed that was a touchwiz thing when I moved to the Moto X

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls?

It's different.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls? I moved from the Moto X 2013 and it seems about the same. I think Samsung had the best controls with the volume rocker bringing up that little gear option that allows you to adjust individual volumes for notifications, ringers, and more importantly media. I was disappointed that was a touchwiz thing when I moved to the Moto X

You can't shut up notifications without stopping what you're listening to, or even exiting the app in some cases

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Try casting a video to a chromecast and then adjusting the volume of media on your device. It can't be done, you have to disconnect the chromecast first, and then adjust the media volume. Terrible design that was clearly never tested.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's different.

No, it's this:

Shadowgate posted:

Try casting a video to a chromecast and then adjusting the volume of media on your device. It can't be done, you have to disconnect the chromecast first, and then adjust the media volume. Terrible design that was clearly never tested.

I discovered it when I tried to silence my phone while I had Play Music paused, I literally could not do it. Had to swipe away the Play controls in the notification tray, only then did my volume rocker stop controlling my music volume.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Tylt Vu chat - my $20 chinese knockoff is still working flawlessly. I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE6X5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

Yeah it's the absolute worst design decision, it's actually frustrating at times. The control in the power menu was Good and they removed it for reasons.

And there needs to be a way to hide heads-up notifications too (if I'm watching a video I don't want popups) but that's more of an annoyance, having your sound constantly interrupted by PINGs and volume ducking with no easy way to stop it is way worse

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

the nicker posted:

Tylt Vu chat - my $20 chinese knockoff is still working flawlessly. I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE6X5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long have you had it? I was considering buying that model, but the reports of it giving out after three months made me shy away.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

isndl posted:

How long have you had it? I was considering buying that model, but the reports of it giving out after three months made me shy away.

About 6 weeks so far, all good. For those amazon reviews that said it quit working after a few months, I'd bet on it being the hilariously cheap USB wall charger it comes with and not the qi charger itself. But I dunno.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's the absolute worst design decision, it's actually frustrating at times. The control in the power menu was Good and they removed it for reasons.

And there needs to be a way to hide heads-up notifications too (if I'm watching a video I don't want popups) but that's more of an annoyance, having your sound constantly interrupted by PINGs and volume ducking with no easy way to stop it is way worse

Yep, these are the two big complaints I have. Unfortunately they aren't bugs, just bad decisions (or fortunately, given how long some bugs stick around?).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

We've been down this road already. It's great that you're a special snowflake that has no issues on lollipop. It's been a huge regression for many people and the loving bugs are DOCUMENTED and confirmed by Google anyways. They've even halted their own rollouts to their own devices.

poo poo is broke. We need to wait for them to fix it.

Lollipop his hilariously broken on the Nexus 4. I just noticed that I can't make ANY calls out at all. Not via Voice or via my carrier number.

Glad I figured this out when I was just trying to call work and not something super super important. :v:

Anyone else here having this issue?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/j74JlShhihc

Google has it on low priority in AOSP and someone claims it's on the Nexus 6 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

robodex posted:

good, i carefully curate who my dick pics go to and i don't want some rando on g+ seeing them

:v:

"my dick" pics

or

my "dick pics"

This is important.