Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what if i want a fedora that i dont have to reinstall on all my computes every 12 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

today a co-worker unironically had to edit his XConfig. he said he was editing modelines, but I choose to disbelieve that part

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can i deja dup from ubuntu -> fedora? that program did a fkin bomb rear end job migrating all my poo poo. like all my user settings and poo poo. i have a big gedit file i use for like scratch notes and when i opened it after the migration the cursor was in the right place........ holy poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

today a co-worker unironically had to edit his XConfig. he said he was editing modelines, but I choose to disbelieve that part

You haven't had to edit a modeline in close to twelve years now. Unless he's on nvidia proprietary. Which somehow ignores all common sense by not even reading your monitor's EDID on hotplug.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

You haven't had to edit a modeline in close to twelve years now. Unless he's on nvidia proprietary. Which somehow ignores all common sense by not even reading your monitor's EDID on hotplug.

I think he's on NVIDIA yeah; it was a Tegra board of some kind.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
nvidia proprietary doesn't support tegra, that's all nouveau.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the next time I get high at work I'll ask him what he really meant

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Progressive JPEG posted:

what if i want a fedora that i dont have to reinstall on all my computes every 12 months

then use arch where you have to reinstall every 2 weeks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

then use arch where you have to reinstall every 2 weeks

:cry: I might try centos idk

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arch is quite ftw actually

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i just spent three days janitoring a debian server but now it does what i want it to do again

some of that was physically janitoring the server around, lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

i just spent three days janitoring a debian server but now it does what i want it to do again

some of that was physically janitoring the server around, lol

oh right this is the desktop thread, uh, it was on my desk for a little while

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Captain Foo posted:

oh right this is the desktop thread, uh, it was on my desk for a little while

Nothing was more glorious in an open office space than firing up a 1u server on my desk, and pushing the fans as hard as I could.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

firing up a 1u server … pushing the fans as hard as I could

but you repeat yourself

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

fedora can use its regular updater to move between versions now

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fedora can use the wind to move between hosts now

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
still waiting for somebody to explain what's wrong with ext4 and why we all need to move to btrfs even though it violates a lot of programs' assumptions about how filesystems work

Lennart: "btrfs is great and i'm going to obnoxiously strongarm everyone into using it and only it! btw we have to special-case a bunch of poo poo in systemd-journald so that btrfs' smartyness doesn't make a dog's dinner of the file's layout on disk. oh and er bootloaders and kernels, of course. and disk images. and databases. and and and and.... SPECIAL CASES"

every time Lennart says "i think X is cool but i mean other options will continue to be supported" he actually means "i will cram X down your loving throat and act in bad faith to sabotage everything that isn't X and then claim i never said that i'd continue to support ~X and people are just being hysterical as usual" so i'm pretty loving worried.

this isn't a "linux is about choice" thing, btrfs is way more loving complex than ext4, it's slower than ext4 both on hdd and ssd, and it's been in the making for the best part of a decade and it still isn't considered production-ready. and it also tries to eat the device mapper and handle all that poo poo itself: spanning, mirroring, snapshotting, encryption, compression...

the fusion-io people even wanted to release a raw NAND ssd and let btrfs manage the wear levelling too

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

still waiting for somebody to explain what's wrong with ext4 and why we all need to move to btrfs even though it violates a lot of programs' assumptions about how filesystems work

Lennart: "btrfs is great and i'm going to obnoxiously strongarm everyone into using it and only it! btw we have to special-case a bunch of poo poo in systemd-journald so that btrfs' smartyness doesn't make a dog's dinner of the file's layout on disk. oh and er bootloaders and kernels, of course. and disk images. and databases. and and and and.... SPECIAL CASES"

every time Lennart says "i think X is cool but i mean other options will continue to be supported" he actually means "i will cram X down your loving throat and act in bad faith to sabotage everything that isn't X and then claim i never said that i'd continue to support ~X and people are just being hysterical as usual" so i'm pretty loving worried.

this isn't a "linux is about choice" thing, btrfs is way more loving complex than ext4, it's slower than ext4 both on hdd and ssd, and it's been in the making for the best part of a decade and it still isn't considered production-ready. and it also tries to eat the device mapper and handle all that poo poo itself: spanning, mirroring, snapshotting, encryption, compression...

the fusion-io people even wanted to release a raw NAND ssd and let btrfs manage the wear levelling too

If you don't know how to do manual partitioning so you can use ext2 on a 20TB raid, you ain't living.

Poettering isn't that influential. Poettering is an employ of Redhat. Redhat wants something to compete with zfs. Poettering's agenda aligns with red hat's, so that is why it is going somewhere.

Regarding assumptions about file systems - make another partition, or add another drive, and put the poorly written trash on that partition. Problem solved.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol if u believe rh has an agenda or Lennart would ever follow it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use ntfs, imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ext4 suits my needs but idk how files or computers works actually idk why I'm in this thread or this forum at all

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
if linux users think something is bad, that automatically means its good

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
ex: gnome 3

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

oval office AND PASTE posted:

if linux users think something is bad, that automatically means its good

does it also work the other way round? because if so you're my favorite poster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome 3 is the best window manager on any computer ....

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

keyvin posted:

Poettering isn't that influential. Poettering is an employ of Redhat. Redhat wants something to compete with zfs. Poettering's agenda aligns with red hat's, so that is why it is going somewhere.

what's the licensing on btrfs? I'd assume GPLv2 since it's a Linux thing but someone could've had an attack of sanity and made it BSD or MIT.

also, countdown to hearing it pronounced by Linux weenies as "butterface" in conference sessions, with barely-concealed snickering, leading to another round of commentary about the community being exclusionary

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

just use ntfs, imo

agreein with Shaggar

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
One of my drives had a weird error on btrfs on every other boot which forced me to go into single user mode. Turns out that it just needs to recalculate free space or something. Since it was a drive that I didn't write to, I just have it mounted read-only on boot, fixes everything.

I'm going to replace that whole computer with Centos 7 and XFS.

I think XFS will convince the world that Linux is ready for the Desktop.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

keyvin posted:

If you don't know how to do manual partitioning so you can use ext2 on a 20TB raid, you ain't living.

if you're setting up a 20TB RAID then you should probably understand what the gently caress you're doing instead of going "btfs createraid --i-dont-give-a-gently caress-just-set-it-up-however /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd ...", yes, i agree

quote:

Regarding assumptions about file systems - make another partition, or add another drive, and put the poorly written trash on that partition. Problem solved.

Programs assume that a filesystem is something that allocates ordered lists of disk blocks and assigns names and access control lists to them (and also pollutes this namespace with various IPC and system call portal garbage but whatever). This filesystem provides transactional guarantees for its own internal data structures, but as for the stuff you put in those blocks you're on your own. This lets them do things like mmap() a big persistent data structure instead of creating your own stupid block cache that fights with the kernel's smart one and wasting twice as much memory for no good reason.

https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/ArchitectNotes

If your application wants a sophisticated transactional integrity scheme you can choose one depending on your particular requirements. If your applications wants data compression you can choose one depending on your particular requirements (LZO? LZMA? H264?). If you want to encrypt your poo poo then you can layer the filesystem on top of another block abstraction layer that performs encryption. Or you can just encrypt individual files, whatever. Of course you can pick your own cryptographic primitives. If you're storing all this poo poo on top of NAND flash then that gets stacked on top of another abstraction which dynamically remaps physical blocks to logical block numbers and performs wear levelling using some sort of device-optimised log-structured journal.

And if you don't need any of those things then you simply don't add them. Much like the Internet gives you the simplest primitive that could possibly work: a best-effort mechanism that delivers small chunks of data from point A to point B in whatever order is convenient for it and you layer your own streaming, framing, compression, encryption, integrity, whatever, on top of that, instead of having a lovely one-size-fits-nobody solution forced upon you.

Btrfs says no, we're going to be all things to all people. So all files are copy-on-write by default and many files get packed into single disk blocks. Which is all well and good when you're storing Grocery Shopping.txt but not so great when you've got a database write-ahead-log file or an append-only data structure like the systemd journal or like, any non-trivial read-write data structure stored on disk really.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the internet makes a best effort to deliver small chunks of concentrated toxic stupidity to unwary passers-by in the form of my posts. unfortunately, more often than not it is successful.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
xfs seems ok and doesn't zero byte my files. idk why anyone would bother with anything else

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

why is xfs better than ext4

or is this a greyforum q

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its numbers go bigger than ext4

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I don't understand. Even if poettering took Linus hostage and forced him to commit a change that made the kernel only bootable from barfs, what stops you from keeping your lovely program (or just it's data) that assumes it is on a 140kb 5 1/4" formatted GCR on an actual 5 1/4" floppy formatted GCR?

If you don't need the features of BARFS, don't use it?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I mean sure, we can save developers that want all these things barfs hasa whole lot of time and complexity by abstracting it out of userspace completely, but... why would we do that guys?

Is it because if it wasn't in SYS V it wasn't canonical unix? Like the star wars expanded universe or fanfic or something?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Make it easy to add all those features to non lovely programs with the flick of a switch, a mount, and a cp?

gently caress that noise, If they want that stuff, they can work for it.

Its like the arguments about raising the minimum wage - I worked my way up from utter poverty at $7.24 an hour to normal poverty at $9.00 an hour. It isn't fair that We will both be making $10 now, and I don't have the option to keep the $9 wage that I earned.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

I don't understand. Even if poettering took Linus hostage and forced him to commit a change that made the kernel only bootable from barfs, what stops you from keeping your lovely program (or just it's data) that assumes it is on a 140kb 5 1/4" formatted GCR on an actual 5 1/4" floppy formatted GCR?

If you don't need the features of BARFS, don't use it?

you still pay for features you aren't using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol if u believe rh has an agenda or Lennart would ever follow it

No, you got it backwards. Stop drinking at work. Poettering has an agenda, and it lines up with red hat's aim of having something like zfs.\