Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Just as an FYI, Intel is supposed to be releasing a new version of the NUC with Broadwell processors and more nifty features. They're rumored to (maybe) announce at CES, which just started, so if you can wait a little bit, you might either a) get a better deal on an older NUC or b) decide to wait for the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

SuperSpiff posted:

Just as an FYI, Intel is supposed to be releasing a new version of the NUC with Broadwell processors and more nifty features. They're rumored to (maybe) announce at CES, which just started, so if you can wait a little bit, you might either a) get a better deal on an older NUC or b) decide to wait for the new one.

Dammit, I got one newegg for $351, with free 4GB ram and I used a $25 giftcard. Looks like I will be ditching the nexus player since it appears to a be a buggy piece of poo poo. It sucks cause if it did work I could do everything via the nexus player (live tv, streaming stuff, and plex) with the hdrhomerun/nuc doing the heavy work.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just reporting in to say I've been using the nexus player for a few days now with Kodi and its a rock solid little device. The i3 NUC I was using is now sitting on a shelf and my other android box is going up on craigslist.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Agreed, not sure what that guy's issues are with the Nexus Player but I've got two for Kodi and they're great.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

SuperSpiff posted:

Because it's Intel it could appear anytime between now and during the revolt against the lizard people.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I've heard from a lot of people (and online reviews from major sites) that the Nexus Player was really buggy. Things wouldn't chromecast correctly, apps crash, device needs to be rebooted, etc. Would a FireTV/NP be able to do ROMS well (up to Gamecube)?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jonathan posted:

Just reporting in to say I've been using the nexus player for a few days now with Kodi and its a rock solid little device. The i3 NUC I was using is now sitting on a shelf and my other android box is going up on craigslist.

So, it's better than a NUC because?

I mean, I can see buying a NP instead of a NUC, but right now I can't see why you'd replace a NUC you already have with a NP.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

5436 posted:

I've heard from a lot of people (and online reviews from major sites) that the Nexus Player was really buggy. Things wouldn't chromecast correctly, apps crash, device needs to be rebooted, etc. Would a FireTV/NP be able to do ROMS well (up to Gamecube)?

No. Fire TV can barely make it to Dreamcast and even that's a crapshoot depending on who you talk to.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
What OS should I use for my NUC? The uses are basically a PLEX Server and PVR for the HDHomerun. I might add one some old school roms to the mix. I'm sure I'll also put Kodi on as it is all the rage. Is Windows 7 still sufficient, I haven't used a non-linux OS in almost 4 years so I'm out of the loop.

One last question, what version of the Harmony do people like the most?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows 8.1

Harmony smart hub

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

suddenlyissoon posted:

Because it's Intel it could appear anytime between now and during the revolt against the lizard people.

Here come the lizard people:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-nuc-broadwell,28344.html

Looks like the I3 and I5 models are out now, I7 in 2q15.

I3 2.1ghz dual core, 15W, HD5500, 2.5" drive
I5 2.7ghz dual core, 15W, HD6000, two options, 2.5" drive or smaller form facter with M.2 SSD (up to 22x80mm)

No pricing info yet, but it should push down the previous models that overlap (i3 and i5), although not sure the lower-end atom or celeron pricing will change much.

For just-XBMC (no emulators or other tasks) are the Atom or Celeron units up to the task of 1080p h.264 decoding?

Also, for just-XBMC, if I have the remote-app on my phone, would I be missing anything a physical remote would give me? I always have my phone, and don't really want to leave a remote in my bedroom (where this is going).

5436 posted:

What OS should I use for my NUC? The uses are basically a PLEX Server and PVR for the HDHomerun. I might add one some old school roms to the mix. I'm sure I'll also put Kodi on as it is all the rage. Is Windows 7 still sufficient, I haven't used a non-linux OS in almost 4 years so I'm out of the loop.

If you have a 7 license to transfer it will work fine, otherwise 8.1. Although any of that should work on linux as well, if you're more comfortable with that - older ROM emulation shouldn't be a problem.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Harik posted:

For just-XBMC (no emulators or other tasks) are the Atom or Celeron units up to the task of 1080p h.264 decoding?
I'm using a quad core Atom in my Zotac PI320 and it plays back 1080p just fine. 24p, too.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Sagacity posted:

I'm using a quad core Atom in my Zotac PI320 and it plays back 1080p just fine. 24p, too.

Yeah as long as you aren't software decoding these low power CPU's are more than enough to playback even high bitrate 1080p H.264. Medium to high bitrate HEVC/H.265 is a different matter entirely though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
So I've been thinking about cutting cable with a HTPC and tell me this isn't perfect:

quote:

Intel has rather impressively crammed in a quad-core Atom CPU, 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM, along with a USB port, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 support and a mini-USB connector for power (HDMI power will come later).

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/intel-compute-stick/

$150

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah that thing looks sweet. That said there's also now already available the Pipo X7 which I think has the same or slightly better chip and Ethernet ect. 97 bucks on geek buying right now.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
That is amazing and I want one.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Woops its pre sale but should be available shortly:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO...ver-339668.html

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Gozinbulx posted:

Woops its pre sale but should be available shortly:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO...ver-339668.html

That's pretty sweet. If anyone sees any reviews please post them here. Any idea how Atom compares to older desktop chips? I'm running some 2009 era AMD dual core and if can perform similar to that I'd think about switching.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That's pretty sweet. If anyone sees any reviews please post them here. Any idea how Atom compares to older desktop chips? I'm running some 2009 era AMD dual core and if can perform similar to that I'd think about switching.

I ordered one, so I'll let you know. I'm actually envisioning it as a small workstation at my office, but I'll slap XBMC on there to check it out.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How big a hassle is it to play Blu-rays on a PC?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Boz0r posted:

How big a hassle is it to play Blu-rays on a PC?

Very. The software and the drive costs far more than a good standalone blu-ray player. Additionally, the DRM is obnoxious, and will do stuff like crash if you try to drag your player from one monitor to the other. The software itself is clunky, not well supported, but they drat sure come out with a new version every 3 months (that you have to pay for) just because they can.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UndyingShadow posted:

Very. The software and the drive costs far more than a good standalone blu-ray player. Additionally, the DRM is obnoxious, and will do stuff like crash if you try to drag your player from one monitor to the other. The software itself is clunky, not well supported, but they drat sure come out with a new version every 3 months (that you have to pay for) just because they can.

Yeah, don't even think about it unless you're willing to pay the money for AnyDVDHD. That's the only way to make Blu-Ray on PC even slightly bearable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What about just ripping BluRays to your PC? I heard MakeMKV can do it, but I don't know how much the DRM will get in the way.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Uthor posted:

What about just ripping BluRays to your PC? I heard MakeMKV can do it, but I don't know how much the DRM will get in the way.

That's where getting AnyDVD HD comes in to play to remove the DRM.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Per-core performance is a bit lower than Core 2/Athlon II at the same clock speed, so it isn't a powerhouse. I've had a good amount of experience using Atoms in my NAS/PLEX server and in a tablet, and the only thing they've barfed on has been DVD playback and I'm pretty sure that's an anomaly specific to my use of a server-edition Windows on the machine in question.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

MakeMKV will rip the video files just fine, you don't need AnyDVD HD to use it. You'll lose out on menus and stuff, but if all you're after is the movie file, MakeMKV works great.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Checking in to say I've been using my zotac bi320 for around a month now with zero issues for xbmc or general streaming. Great value.

Well one issue. Xbmc crashes if you power off the system on occasion but the simple fix is to just close it beforehand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can someone give me a rough outline of how they have Flirc set up? I think I read something about using it to run auto-hotkey to launch/control different programs? I don't think I need all the details, just something to help me think about how I can set it up and what advanced stuff it can do.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
flirc was super easy to setup. I setup one hotkey with AutoHotKey that basically launches Plex for me (in case it is closed) which took a little longer because I had never used AutoHotKey. Besides that, I just programmed the upper, down, left, right, esc, and enter keys to up, down, left, right, OK, and exit on my TV remote and it works great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

Can someone give me a rough outline of how they have Flirc set up? I think I read something about using it to run auto-hotkey to launch/control different programs? I don't think I need all the details, just something to help me think about how I can set it up and what advanced stuff it can do.

I only played with it a bit before moving back to the Fire TV but I wrote a script in AutoIt where a certain key combination (CTRL-ALT-___) would move focus to XBMC before sending the command. That way I could use my laptop normally and remote commands were automatically sent to the XBMC on the second screen.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Ubuntu is a headache on the haswell NUC. My USB stick isn't big enough for Windows 8.1 :(. Time to buy a new usb stick, ugh. I couldn't get MythTV to run on my NUC, and Ubuntu itself has issues booting and requires you do to do the Ubuntu repair.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
they sell usb sticks at gas stations and poo poo. Just go get one.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Don Lapre posted:

they sell usb sticks at gas stations and poo poo. Just go get one.

Yea I ordered one on Amazon. The reason I'm bitching is i wasted part of my weekend trying to get it to work. This isn't the first time Ubuntu has burned me.

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011
This might not exactly be the right thread to ask, but I wouldn't know where else to put it. My TV provider recently went bankrupt so I now have a defunct IPTV set-top based on the BCM7230 SOC. Would it be possible to convert this into something that can be used as a more general HTPC? At the moment it won't do anything but try to connect to a server that no longer exists, but I'm not sure what else (if anything) I can run on it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Sinecure posted:

This might not exactly be the right thread to ask, but I wouldn't know where else to put it. My TV provider recently went bankrupt so I now have a defunct IPTV set-top based on the BCM7230 SOC. Would it be possible to convert this into something that can be used as a more general HTPC? At the moment it won't do anything but try to connect to a server that no longer exists, but I'm not sure what else (if anything) I can run on it.

Depends on how well they locked it down and if anyone else has tried a shot at hacking it. What's the company and model # on the box?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I said screw mythtv/ubuntu. Just bought Windows 8.1 + WMC. Its really slick. Almost done with my HTPC setup, I think ima have to get flirc and a universal remote to cap it off.

Is there any slick front end (like plex) for roms? I assume not, some searching didn't lead me to anything. I want some sorta of simple interface that just has tiles of the game box cover art. Its very unappealing to go through a list or browser directories for roms.

Whats the best bluetooth controller? I want something that just works.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

I said screw mythtv/ubuntu. Just bought Windows 8.1 + WMC. Its really slick. Almost done with my HTPC setup, I think ima have to get flirc and a universal remote to cap it off.

Is there any slick front end (like plex) for roms? I assume not, some searching didn't lead me to anything. I want some sorta of simple interface that just has tiles of the game box cover art. Its very unappealing to go through a list or browser directories for roms.

Get XBMC installed and use http://www.teknowebworks.com/xbmc-Window-Media-Center-Integration/

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011

clockworx posted:

Depends on how well they locked it down and if anyone else has tried a shot at hacking it. What's the company and model # on the box?

It's a Hybroad M505H. I can't find anything on Google about this, so I might just salvage the hard disk...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

I'd really suggest getting an Xbox 360 controller and one of these guys, and finding four Xbox 360 controllers. You can pick them up used for a decent price, especially on SA-mart.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-G...troller+windows

I have an official MS wireless dongle, but there's a lot of knock offs. With that, you can pair 4 controllers, and they work terrifically. I've spent many days with my friends playing SNES NBA Jam using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'd really suggest getting an Xbox 360 controller and one of these guys, and finding four Xbox 360 controllers. You can pick them up used for a decent price, especially on SA-mart.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-G...troller+windows

I have an official MS wireless dongle, but there's a lot of knock offs. With that, you can pair 4 controllers, and they work terrifically. I've spent many days with my friends playing SNES NBA Jam using them.

I have the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in my NUC. It should just work over bluetooth with Windows 8.1 Pro right? I was checking NYC craigslist, everyone sells console + controller. $40 seems outrageous to get a new one, I'll check the mart.