Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
what the gently caress is this

oh man, the loving sidebars are really loving taking away from the nice HD-ness here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wait, do those Deadman Wonderland spoilers mean that Shiro dies at the end of Deadman Wonderland?

Because gently caress!! THAT. FUCKITY. JIVE. SHIIIIIIT!!!!! if it does. :cry:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

whoa, what the gently caress? Since loving when does Bebop have an ED?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

Oh snap, did they put the motherfuckin' Real Folk Blues back in this show?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Oxxidation posted:

If you're actually counting what happened in the manga, then this was the actual reason for everything. Major manga spoilers follow:

The Red Man/Crimson King is actually Shiro, who gained her powers through a series of grotesque experiments conducted mainly by two people - Rinchirou Hagire, a completely loving bonkers biologist with a fascination for vivisection in particular, and Sorae Igarashi, Ganta's mother. Sorae deliberately conceived a child just so that she and Rinchirou could test biological weapons on it, but when she actually gave birth to Ganta, her parental instinct kicked in and she swapped out Ganta for another random child from the ward, which turned out to be Shiro.

Shiro displayed amazing resistance to the bioweapons tested on her, which eventually gave her tremendous regeneration capabilities and allowed her to manifest telekinetic powers through her blood. As his research developed, Hagire became so crazed with fascination at her pain (yes of course there's a loving sexual angle behind it, it's Japan and it's Deadman Wonderland) that he practically started flaying her alive during sessions to make her bleed more. Shiro's body deteriorated to the point where her limbs would start randomly dropping off, but she still couldn't die. She eventually developed the Red Man personality as a way to dissociate herself from everything.

Ganta grew up in the testing facility alongside Shiro and was pretty much her only friend, though he was still totally (and, it's hinted, deliberately) oblivious to everything going on with her. They liked to roleplay superheroes together, and Shiro's Red Man persona eventually became partly based on those same games; eventually she manifested it while they were playing and knocked his rear end out, but Ganta stood right back up again, making it the only time anyone didn't just break in half when Shiro attacked them. It left an impression on her.

Meanwhile, Sorae became steadily more deranged with guilt at what she was doing to Shiro, especially with Hagire egging it on the whole way. She covertly developed the Mother Goose system system to contain Shiro's power, but eventually the fact got out and she tried to justify it to Shiro by saying that it was for her own safety - if she overused her power too much, it'd probably kill even her. Shiro then happily cranked her powers up to their absolute limit in an attempt to commit suicide. poo poo got wrecked. The earthquakes happened and Deadman powers spread through the population. Ganta was evacuated from the area, and the last Sorae saw of him was him completely blocking out all memory that he ever knew Shiro. Sorae returned to the facility, activated the Mother Goose system, told Hagire to go gently caress himself, and shot herself in the head.

Hagire lost his poo poo at not being able to run his experiments to full capacity anymore; while Shiro recuperated, he used the Branch of Sin harvested from those creepy white-haired twins, Chan and En, to start body-snatching various people in an attempt to go undercover and prolong his own lifespan. Using those bodies, he created Deadman Wonderland to harvest Branches of Sin for himself in an attempt to become immortal like Shiro, so that they could fight and kill each other all they wanted, because he's a sadomasochistic nutcase. One of those bodies was the Jigsaw-looking warden that "Slimeball" Tamaki went bowling with. The next was Sakagami "Mockingbird" Toto.

For her part, Shiro somehow learned that Ganta was the original recipient for the experiments and still happily living outside of the facility. Out of vengeance for stealing her life and then forgetting about her, she butchered his classmates, set him up for the fall, and shot him with a fragment of her own power in an attempt to create a Deadman that could actually kill her. Tamaki just wanted a new Deadman and Hagire was completely oblivious to Shiro's plans, so Ganta stayed under the radar until he was in a position to screw up all the bad guys' plotting and let Shiro take center stage. The final big twist is that the Red Man was never really an alternate personality at all; Shiro was always in control, and her feelings of hate and suicidal self-loathing were just as genuine as her hopeless need to rekindle her friendship with Ganta.

I left out some stuff, but those are the main points. tl;dr: everyone's hosed at the Wonderland.
Yeah it's basically Bioshock Infinite towards the end there. A giant system built just to suppress and contain a god level being.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wait, do those Deadman Wonderland spoilers mean that Shiro dies at the end of Deadman Wonderland?

Because gently caress!! THAT. FUCKITY. JIVE. SHIIIIIIT!!!!! if it does. :cry:
No.

Argus Zant posted:

what the gently caress is this

oh man, the loving sidebars are really loving taking away from the nice HD-ness here
If you're running a 4:3 show in a widescreen broadcast you can either stretch it like they did before or pillarbox it like they're doing now. The pillarbox is better. If only they would stop stretching all their other shows.

Argus Zant posted:

Welcome to The Real Folk Blues.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 4, 2015

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Cardboard Box A posted:

If you're running a 4:3 show in a widescreen broadcast you can either stretch it like they did before or pillarbox it like they're doing now. The pillarbox is better. If only they would stop stretching all their other shows.

Most of the lineup is HD ready at this point. The few holdouts are Shippuden (made in standard definition, but that'll change soon), Ghost in the Shell (they'd need to get HD masters from Manga Entertainment), IGPX (the Toonami version would have to be re-created from scratch in HD), and Samurai Jack (made in standard definition).

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

what kind of blues is it when they defile the Sistine Chapel of OPs that is Tank!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Argus Zant posted:

fun fact: the 4 generals of Lord Genome, the Spiral King, all have names based on the nucleobases that make up DNA: guanine, cytosine, thymine, adenine

They're names are also based on the four classical elemental beings:
gnome - earth
salamander - fire
sylph - wind
undine - water

And their mechs are named after the Four Symbols:
Genbu - Black Tortoise
Suzaku - Vermilion Bird
Byakko - White Tiger
Seiryu - Azure Dragon

Cardboard Box A posted:

Glad to be back :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cerony posted:

They're names are also based on the four classical elemental beings:
gnome - earth
salamander - fire
sylph - wind
undine - water

And their mechs are named after the Four Symbols:
Genbu - Black Tortoise
Suzaku - Vermilion Bird
Byakko - White Tiger
Seiryu - Azure Dragon

:psyboom: WHOA

(Technically sylphs are associated with "air" and not necessarily "wind", but holy poo poo I never noticed that part about their names.)

EDIT: Wait, why is Thymylph named after sylphs and Cytomandre named after salamanders? Shouldn't those two be the other way around?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 4, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On this day one year ago, anime was finally saved by a man with a pompadour.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Waffleman_ posted:

On this day one year ago, anime was finally saved by a man with a pompadour.

Amen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's still half an hour left in Dandy Day so you can listen to this like 15 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYH6DV03qTU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

ABD

Always be Dandy.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Adult Swim/Toonami 2015: Per Dandicia Ad Astra

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This was just posted on the Adult Swim Facebook page with the date 1/19/15. Get hyped yall.

Yeah, it's a 15 second video, but it's just the Guild of Calamitous Intent's logo being splattered with blood with no sound, so you're really not missing much.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Y-Hat posted:

This was just posted on the Adult Swim Facebook page with the date 1/19/15. Get hyped yall.

Yeah, it's a 15 second video, but it's just the Guild of Calamitous Intent's logo being splattered with blood with no sound, so you're really not missing much.
Here's hoping its for something more substantial than them just announcing a date for new episodes on the 19th or a sneak peak for the next season or something.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Looks like an hour long special will air on that date.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hype train initiated

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acquire Currency! posted:

hype train initiated

How long before they over-advertise it to hell and back?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How long before they over-advertise it to hell and back?

To be fair it comes out this month

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

To be fair it comes out this month
Less than two weeks.

So... yeah, advertise away.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that's more than I was expecting. I wonder if it's an actual standalone special or if it's just a couple episodes from the next season like when they showed the Halloween episode early last time.

It says it will "CHANGE THE VENTUREVERSE FOREVER." I'm gonna assume everyone dies and this is their way to get out of making an entire next season.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Getting this streaming poo poo started is too loving complicated and frustrating and I think I broke ustream, so I give up for now. Hace, have your poo poo ready Saturday.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My pleasure toast!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

we're never getting the rest of Deadman Wonderland animated, are we? gently caress this cour poo poo, finish something when you start it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Who cares.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Waffleman_ posted:

Getting this streaming poo poo started is too loving complicated and frustrating and I think I broke ustream, so I give up for now. Hace, have your poo poo ready Saturday.

I'm always ready

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The new Mike Tyson episode looks amazing.

"We're in Mexico, right?"
:ghost:"No, we're in Nicaragua"
"That's like a type of Mexico, right?"

Also, God bless Hace and Beef Wifu for being able to make up for Waffle's endless stream issues.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Who cares.

Me, kinda.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hace posted:

I'm always ready

Good man. I'll try to get Yoshihiko ready in the next couple days.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4 seasons of Sealab 2021 in the mail today so based

My nipples are hard just thinking about it

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

My nipples are hard just thinking about it

Uh oh!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why did you let them in?
Well they seemed nice at firs-
BIZARROO

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Why did you let them in?
Well they seemed nice at firs-
BIZARROO

BIZARRO! I'M HELPING!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WELL HELLO CONSUMER
YES, HELLO CONSUMER

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm Bizarro Stormy

I'm regular Stormy!

Oh Snapple! posted:

WELL HELLO CONSUMER
YES, HELLO CONSUMER

Float your rear end over here and magic me up a new wrench

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That phone just melted!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Persons of Asian descent don't qualify under article 4.
Why not?
Well, anime.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Reminder that there are new episodes of Newsreaders and Eric Andre tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Newsreaders is great, but I don't think I understand Eric Andre.

Is there some sort of reference I'm supposed to get here? What the hell am I watching? Do I need drugs? I think I need drugs.

• Locked thread