Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dog buttz posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz-box

Anyone remember the real life jizz box?

i think it was a vase

oh wait there was a box too, there's a lot of things that have famously had jizz in them actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Aesop Poprock posted:

oh wait there was a box too, there's a lot of things that have famously had jizz in them actually

Not everything though.

Meanwhile...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It seems like people have done every stupid lightsaber variant except for the obvious common sense one, which is to make a big long pole out of phuck phrik and put the lightsaber blade at the end of it to make a light-polearm.

quote:

Punchatz 1980
The father of the guy who made the cyberdemon painted that lovely Skywalker incest poster. :suicide:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Lightpolearms exist in the EU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So has anybody ever told George how loving lame his ideas are and get fired as a result?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Started watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qXan-dcl1E

LOL, the way he talks to Spielberg is the way my son talks to me about some poo poo I don't care about.

"What you don't realize, dad, is that these gloombars are not that good, so you have to actually go up to them and tell them what to do in this game... Dad, are you listening? This is important."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

burritolingus posted:

Somehow missed the Boba Fett talk.

Boba's deal was that he outsmarted Han Solo. Han does his clever trick where he pretends to be trash and it fools the Empire and everybody else but not Boba. Boba figures out where he will go, gets there first (bringing Vader along), catches Han and takes him away. Han was just about everyone's favorite character and Boba was a step ahead of him. He has cool armor and a jetpack and doesn't say a whole lot.

Jedi totally punks Boba but there was a good wait between Empire and Jedi for hype to build up around this character people didn't know all that much about other than that he bested just about the slickest dude in the galaxy.

I would love for him to stay dead but the problem with that is that there is no closure with his death. It was mishandled. The ball was dropped.

Boba was about as dead as anyone gets in this PG-rated movie series. I mean sure he has a mystique to him (He disintegrates people! He's a little too hardcore for Darth Vader!), but when you stop to pay attention the EU also brings everybody else back to life for increasingly lame stories too. And outside of a few cameos in video games, Boba really only shows up in the books, which range from bad to awful.

It's OK though, what really killed the character beyond dead was the prequels. Now with the rest of the EU he is truly dead (until they bring him back for an Episode VII cameo because if there's one thing Abrams can't resist, it's fanservice).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

So do all the Sith and secret apprentices do this too or is there some Imperial exception? Because it seems like banning all lightsaber construction would really be a problem if Vader's ever breaks.

Rule #1 of any despotic society is that the despot's men don't have to obey the laws. Also apparently Sith synthesize their red crystals because industry is unnatural and evil even though this is a movie series about spaceships and the crystal is going into a laser sword.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

Sarlaccs must blow some strong rear end loads to send their jizz into space

I like the idea more that music plays when they pollinate or whatever.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

So has anybody ever told George how loving lame his ideas are and get fired as a result?

His first wife.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

His first wife.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

happyhippy posted:

His first wife.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

homullus posted:

I like the idea more that music plays when they pollinate or whatever.

Binary cumset

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

finding this very difficult to watch

gritting my teeth a lot

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh god theyre sitting round a table reading the script

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I'm playing Shmee... or Shmy, have we decided?"

"It'll be good"
"It'll be good"
"It'll be good"
"It'll be good"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

happyhippy posted:

His first wife.

:vince:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

burritolingus posted:

It's less closure for Boba and more closure for Han. Han really doesn't best Boba. He just sort of accidentally knocks him into a desert vagina with teeth. It's anti-climatic and lame. From a storytelling point, Han should have outsmarted and gotten the best of Boba in the end. Maybe not even on Tatooine, but rather on Endor (or the moon of Endor or whatever), like Boba gets out of the vag and tracks Han down there to get revenge, and they face off, but Han outwits him.

Closure against the glorified delivery boy that picked him up after Vader beat him?

The mighty Boba Fett who loaded and unloaded a frozen Han Solo of a ship with a dolly.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Natalie, could you possibly play this with less charisma?"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

That storyboarding segment is filmed like an episode of The Office.

Dec 26, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

It was my favorite star wars film when i was a kid 10-and-under which wraps up nicely in how it was the closest film to what Lucas really wanted from the series, since it led to the prequels which are 100% lucas and command a massively lucrative kid demographic sixteen years on

same, and then i rewatched it a few years ago and its noticeably not as good as the other two

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

01011001 posted:

same, and then i rewatched it a few years ago and its noticeably not as good as the other two

I dunno I think Jedi is fine for the most part. Say what you will about how silly the Ewok stuff is but at least some of them get shot so you feel like maybe there are some stakes to the ground battle. The Luke/Vader/Emperor confrontation was pretty good and Lando flying the Falcon ruled :colbert: It's still a competently executed story at least. The same can't really be said for much else that says STAR WARS on it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo :vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0-_dRjhvY

The kids they screen tested for Anakin Skywalker

The first kid actually acted like what a kid would act like. Second kid acted kind of sort of like a smarmy kid on some TGIF show on NBC in the 80s.

But that last loving kid holy poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah I like how they just seemed to pick the worst kid of the bunch

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Moola posted:

yeah I like how they just seemed to pick the worst kid of the bunch

It's the same thinking that led to casting the kid who voiced Thumper in Bambi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ps14gdCwN8

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Are you an Angel?"

"What?"

"An angel. I've heard the deep space pirates talk about them. They live on the moons of Iago, I think. They're the most beeeeeeeeeeeautiful creatures"

Star Wars is the most cringe thing in the EU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

ElGroucho posted:

"Are you an Angel?"

"What?"

"An angel. I've heard the deep space pirates talk about them. They live on the moons of Iago, I think. They're the most beeeeeeeeeeeautiful creatures"

PYF stupid alien.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I think this one owns

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dads_work_files posted:

I think this one owns

Samez.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

dads_work_files posted:

I think this one owns

Ok, yeah the back story doesn't sound that bad.

quote:

Starweirds would typically appear to spacers repairing their damaged starship in deep space, or manifest aboard a ship traveling in hyperspace. Upon being spotted, starweirds became enraged and released a loud, piercing telepathic shriek that affected creatures within twenty meters. Due to the call's telepathic nature, it could be heard even in the vacuum of space. Their scream often caused listeners to cower in fear or attempt to flee, although some individuals were able to overcome their terror and fight back. After issuing the shriek, the powerful creature would set upon its foe, shredding them with its sharp claws. A starweird would choose one target and focus on that individual

But that name.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ElGroucho posted:

"Are you an Angel?"

"What?"

If you beat KOTOR II then start a new game, one of the NPCs makes fun of that line.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
To be fair I would probably wouldn't be able to come up with a better name after being assaulted in deep space.

Dec 26, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I dunno I think Jedi is fine for the most part. Say what you will about how silly the Ewok stuff is but at least some of them get shot so you feel like maybe there are some stakes to the ground battle. The Luke/Vader/Emperor confrontation was pretty good and Lando flying the Falcon ruled :colbert: It's still a competently executed story at least. The same can't really be said for much else that says STAR WARS on it.

its not like bad-bad and some of the scenes in it are the best in the series (like the luke/vader/emperor bit) but its not nearly as well focused as the other two. like for instance the whole jabba bit is good on its own but has very little to do with everything after it besides establishing that luke is now a badass and that han is now not a statue

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I just like how RoTJ gives us a proper space battle.

:goonsay:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If you beat KOTOR II then start a new game, one of the NPCs makes fun of that line.

Kotor still owns btw, I ressurected a long dormant steam account & $6 later I'm living it up on tattoine hunting krayt dragons:snoop:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nckdictator posted:

I just like how RoTJ gives us a proper space battle.

:goonsay:

The space battles were my favourite parts of the films

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Stuff like this... that it blows people's minds is weird. Because it's just bad writing, and if Lucas had paid attention to any of the few good ideas from the EU or gotten decent script writers, he could have made it work better.
http://kotaku.com/wild-theory-luke-skywalker-wasnt-meant-to-be-a-jedi-h-1678357085

The best thing about the Thrawn Trilogy, which I think I read all three many years ago (though I only remember pieces of it), was that it said the reason why Yoda hid out on Dagobah was because a dark Jedi was killed there. And that lingering dark side presence explains Luke's hallucination or trial or whatever... and how Yoda was undetected by Vader. Cause that also explains, in a better way, why Luke and Obi Wan hid out on Tattoine and were undetected or whatever by Vader and the Emperor because of Anakin's murderous slaughter and turn to the dark side years before. To me, that seemed really like a clever idea that opened the idea that there could be other Jedi hiding in the universe and caches of knowledge and what not.

But of course, you go on to read about all the other crap about Dagobah, and you realize it's all a sad mess.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dagobah

quote:

In a late stage of the war, and under the guidance of the spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda briefly traveled to Dagobah seeking answers to explain mysterious "voices" only he could hear. There, he was given the spiritual task of finding out how to become one with the Force and achieve true immortality. Yoda noted how strong the planet was with the Force, and learned from Qui-Gon's Force-spirit that it was one of the purest places in the Galaxy. This formed the basis for why Yoda eventually chose to endure his time in Exile there. During this short visit, Yoda entered the tainted cave and experienced a powerful vision showing him the extent of the Sith's tightening hold on the galaxy, the impending destruction of the Jedi Order, and the confirmed existence of Darth Sidious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beanieson posted:

Kotor still owns btw, I ressurected a long dormant steam account & $6 later I'm living it up on tattoine hunting krayt dragons:snoop:

In trying to run the old discs but it won't work and I don't want to pony up more money for it

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I would say Jedi is the first sign of incompetence in the mainline films. Almost none of it makes sense, tons of it is a retread of the first movie, the Leia-is-your-sister thing is dragged in from nowhere and isn't remotely believable, the film has no idea what to do with Han Solo throughout, the Luke/Leia treehouse scene is easily as cringe-inducing as any scene in the prequels...it's really pretty terrible aside from the space battle and the Luke/Vader/Emperor story thread.

Even the initial setup makes no sense, when you think about it. Clearly Leia wasn't supposed to be captured in her attempt to get Han out of Jabba's palace, so Luke has to go in after her when she never shows up to their rendezvous. But then what was the plan? It almost makes sense but not quite. You've got Lando embedded, which gives you intel from the inside, which lets you know that Jabba has melted down his translator droid. So you send Threepio and Artoo in because you need a translator droid in place for Leia to pull the Boushh thing, and Threepio would never agree to the plan so you put the message to Jabba in Artoo. So then Leia goes in as Boushh, with Chewie as her entry pass because Jabba has beef with Chewie as well as Han. So now the plan is that Leia will thaw Han out and drag his blind rear end out of the palace somehow unseen? Why not move the whole block out, since it apparently has repulsors on it for moving it around? At any rate, let's say Jabba was none the wiser, and Leia drags Han out of the palace and they get away. Now presumably Lando can get Chewie out of the prison, but who gets the droids? How do you extract Artoo from his servant role, and on top of of that, Threepio from his position directly next to Jabba himself? Does Luke just go in and mind trick them? Does he go in and slaughter them? Clearly Luke is ready for a fight given how quickly he Force pulls someone's blaster out when negotiations go wrong. But then why stick the lightsaber in Artoo, especially when you have no idea where Artoo will be?

Unless the plan goes wrong exactly how it goes wrong, Artoo's placement and possession of the saber makes no sense, and Luke's involvement in the plan is sketchy as hell. It's all just an excuse to get the gang back together and have the action scene at the sarlacc, of course, which is a fun scene but still thoughtless writing. And then of course the rest of the film is about the totally unbelievable and unearned sister thing, because "No, there is another" was meant to be a hook for Episodes 7-9 but then Lucas decided not to do them so they had to come up with something and that something was Leia being a Skywalker, which doesn't even make partial sense considering Obi-Wan apparently didn't know about her in ESB because otherwise why did Yoda have to tell him there was another? Plus another Death Star, because nobody could be arsed to come up with a new superweapon, which is pretty funny considering that's almost a full time job in the EU.

Basically, RotJ has many of the same flaws that make the prequels so bad, and if we'd looked at RotJ honestly beforehand, Episode 1 really shouldn't have surprised us at all. Empire is not just the best of the Star Wars films, it's the weird Star Wars film because it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

RocketLunatic posted:

Stuff like this... that it blows people's minds is weird. Because it's just bad writing, and if Lucas had paid attention to any of the few good ideas from the EU or gotten decent script writers, he could have made it work better.
http://kotaku.com/wild-theory-luke-skywalker-wasnt-meant-to-be-a-jedi-h-1678357085

http://kotaku.com/5905593/what-did-obi-wan-do-between-cutting-anakins-legs-off-and-meeting-han-solo/

this was found linked from that article and it's pretty cool. those are some well done statues. is there anything written for what happened between episode 3 and 4 other than two terrible games?

• Locked thread