Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

triplexpac posted:

If you took the Supercard posts out of this thread there would be nothing happening. Supercard rules.

Some things are worse than death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I realize this thread is pretty dead without it but I wish the phone games that are terrible and I don't care about at all had their own thread.

But then the thread would just be about the game that is actually terrible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

But then the thread would just be about the game that is actually terrible.

I've got horrible news for you, both games are actually terrible.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheJoker138 posted:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This gif is at least funny to watch, which is more than anything from Supercard.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TheJoker138 posted:

This gif is at least funny to watch, which is more than anything from Supercard.

If you'd played it you would know the singular joy of watching Bo Dallas throw Andre at Virgil. That is not something I made up.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

There will never be a good wrestling game until they finally make one that's a co-op where you're trying to put on a great show for the crowd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

There will never be a good wrestling game until they finally make one that's a co-op where you're trying to put on a great show for the crowd.

This has been my dream forever. I have an entire design doc in my head. Someone with coding skills needs to kickstart it or something and then WWE can rip it off.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

This has been my dream forever. I have an entire design doc in my head. Someone with coding skills needs to kickstart it or something and then WWE can rip it off.

I have a friend that makes video games and I'm constantly designing board games so I would love to hear your ideas. Feel free to PM instead if you don't want people to pee on your dreams.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

What happened to that Chikara game that was a beat-em-up?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

For a second I thought this is where they were going with the new one and the match ratings and such.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

smashpro1 posted:

What happened to that Chikara game that was a beat-em-up?

Raised: $3,000
Goal: $100,000

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like it when the thread is about TEW which is my favorite wrestling game. But I guess most of the fellow nerds who can tolerate and enjoy that game are occupied with the joint game they play.

On Supercard, goddamn did the matches get harder as soon as I hit Ultra Rare. I guess it makes sense since I'm a SR++ deck but the way I'm losing now I'll be lucky to get that UR and I don't think I have a shot at the Epic. I've discovered as mildly fun as RTG can be it gets way less fun when you're just getting your rear end kicked.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TNM7 is still the definitive fantasy booking game :colbert:

I don't really have the patience for its interface anymore, but the match engine threw up so many funny and stupid moments. Two guys with max momentum just hitting finishers on each other and kicking out for twenty minutes, squash matches that were literally two lines long, people going missing during battle royals only to show up at the end and win. Amazing game.

A modern version of TNM would be a hell of a thing.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm about halfway through the Survivor tier in RTG and I can no longer win +3 or +5 matches. Am I really supposed to +1 it all the way through both Romans? I could add my lovely epics back in instead of trying to sandbag, but that hasn't been helping either... I'm already constantly getting stomped by RTG Stings in KOTR, and I was really hoping I could use this RTG to catch up. :(

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Oh cool now even +1 matches are off the table apparently. So with a much better deck this time around, I am going to do significantly worse. This game can be so drat frustrating.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I seriously never understand this as a desire for anything but a tiny niche. It'd be like wanting a Star Wars game to be about making a movie inside budget and making your shooting schedule.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
As ever, our glorius Wrestling game leader MDickie has a game where you run a wrestling show to please the fans.

You get match scores each match, which are determined by Heel/face match ups, rivalries and general match performance. The performance is a number rating which changes on the fly during the match, so the more moves you do the higher it climbs.

Although as soon as you stop it drops down immediately, so even if you have climbed to a 5 star match, the AI can walk out of the ring up to the entrance ramp and stand there aimlessly [which happens frequently] for a few seconds, and the match would drop to a 2 star stinker. Downtime simply cannot happen. Good luck with those Ai v ai matches :)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I seriously never understand this as a desire for anything but a tiny niche. It'd be like wanting a Star Wars game to be about making a movie inside budget and making your shooting schedule.

Well I didn't say it's the ONLY wrestling game I'd ever want or something. And given how many goddam Star Wars games there are, your example sounds a lot more fun than wrapping tow cables around AT-ATs again.

Most wrestling games control like a sponge and do a piss-poor job of achieving a sense of a slow, back-and-forth strategic match, much less pull off a SF2/smash bros fun "brawl" feel. With the exception of Fire Pro and WWE All-Stars, I'm not even sure what emotions the developers of wrestling games want me to feel, other than generous with my money.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Short of playing with a friend who knows how to 'work a match' I don't think wrestling games are ever going to have that satisfaction. It's weird, i'm not sure I can think of another game type where you can purposely not try to win, in the effort to produce an equal/exciting match.

There was one particular year on the PS3 era where the AI was so docile, you purposely had to get beaten to even have a glimmer of competitiveness.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

simosimo posted:

Short of playing with a friend who knows how to 'work a match' I don't think wrestling games are ever going to have that satisfaction. It's weird, i'm not sure I can think of another game type where you can purposely not try to win, in the effort to produce an equal/exciting match.

There was one particular year on the PS3 era where the AI was so docile, you purposely had to get beaten to even have a glimmer of competitiveness.

You'd probably have to make something that's basically Parappa the Rapper but instead of a music game you're doing button combos to put on a good match.

Different styles could play out as different series of buttons or different rhythms, IDK

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If you really wanted to make a wrestling game thats legit, you would have to book the match beforehand, and set up periods of offense and defense. While you're on defense, you could actually control your selling. You could choose to act like Dolph or you could act like Taker or if you sucked you'd act like a diva.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The best Yukes game, Smackdown 2, had crowd ratings for exciting matches and let you book whole shows to try to make great cards. but as with everything else in the series it's all downhill from smackdown 2 (2000 a.d.)

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Oh cool now even +1 matches are off the table apparently. So with a much better deck this time around, I am going to do significantly worse. This game can be so drat frustrating.

I had to drop down to 3 point matches near the end of survivor Flair and I'm running RTG Sting, Sur Pro Hogan & Reigns (the regular one) and the rest are all legendary pros (except my divas 1 legendary pro and 3 non-pro survivors). Also using legendary managers to add +21 to all my stats between the 2.

Now that I'm partway through the first RTG Reigns I'm struggling a bit. I'm sure I can get through this one (I'm about 60 points in), getting through the 2nd is going to be a slog though, assuming I can do it at all.

I haven't checked, did they completely do away with the ability to run all commons/uncommons and high level managers? I was hoping I'd be able to switch to that once I hit a wall, but I'm not really in the mood to waste a couple bouts finding out it doesn't work anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm regretting the praise I gave for RTG. This ranking system needs an adjustment. I have no problem with the difficulty increasing but there's gotta be some competitiveness or what's my incentive to play? Part of it, I guess, is people abusing the holes in the system because I keep losing to decks that have like a dozen epics and then a bunch of commons and uncommons. Seems obvious those people are doing that cheap trick of tanking their decks. But my deck has 0 Epics and just 3 URs. So there's gotta be a way to have me playing against peers in the same UR/SR instead of guys a tier or two above me manipulating the system.

But then I guess it's that common/uncommon w/ super powerful managers trick that ruins that idea. So I guess really the problem is cheesing jerks making it no fun to play.

I feel like I'm 12 getting annoyed at the jerk hogging the Mortal Kombat machine at the deli.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 9, 2015

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm regretting the praise I gave for RTG. This ranking system needs an adjustment. I have no problem with the difficulty increasing but there's gotta be some competitiveness or what's my incentive to play? Part of it, I guess, is people abusing the holes in the system because I keep losing to decks that have like a dozen epics and then a bunch of commons and uncommons. Seems obvious those people are doing that cheap trick of tanking their decks. But my deck has 0 Epics and just 3 URs. So there's gotta be a way to have me playing against peers in the same UR/SR instead of guys a tier or two above me manipulating the system.

But then I guess it's that common/uncommon w/ super powerful managers trick that ruins that idea. So I guess really the problem is cheesing jerks making it no fun to play.

I feel like I'm 12 getting annoyed at the jerk hogging the Mortal Kombat machine at the deli.

I agree the sandbagging in everything is retarded. To get anywhere in survivor KOTR you need to run 3 survivor pros and sandbag the rest, otherwise you can't move past the first round, meaning now you only get a legendary as a reward. To advance quickly in PCC you need to sandbag. I was hoping RTG with it's massive deck was going to be a counter to people sandbagging and instead the go to way of actually advancing was to sandbag your entire team.

It's dumb but people do it because it's the only means of actual advancement due to everyone else doing it. RTG it shouldn't even be an issue but I'm running into people running like 8 survivor pros and losing hardcore because I can't even compete in a 3 point game. Luckily I'm not doing TOO terribly with my Survivor Pro/Legendary Pro deck. We'll see how I'm feeling once I get to the second RTG Reigns.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Just get rid of the user deck vs. user deck aspect of Road to Glory. Just make it user deck vs. random CPU deck.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I guess they figured they made the first one too easy to complete and ramped up the difficulty this time. I'm partway through flair and starting to need to actually look at who I'm picking to win +5's, so I imagine it won't be long before I hit the wall too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Random dummy decks would be good. It could be controlled and gradually leveled up.

I also think they could just setup some kind of system where if I have X # of Epics than I'm automatically an Epic. That would eliminate the sandbagging trick, I think. It means you'd have potentially weak Epics who only have a few and super strong Epics who have a whole deck of pros but at least there's some kind of equal footing. And if you have the possibility to get Epics in draws or KotR or whatever then you can gradually improve your position.

But right now I have a Super Rare ++ deck with five URs (just picked up two today) but I'm playing against decks of 8-15 Epics. I just have no chance there. And since I'm only a Super Rare ++ RTG deck, a UR KotR deck, and a UR+ Exhibition I have no real way of getting an Epic to compete. I just have to keep drawing URs from KotR and Exhibition and gradually build up my base until I sneak into Epic and can start drawing those. But by then I'm sure I'll be playing against decks of Legendary.

So if it just became a deal where once I have 3-5 of a tier I'm in that tier at least I would just be playing against people with stacked UR decks and a few Epics. They'd still beat me but at least I'd have a fighting chance with the right shuffle and some strategy. Instead of this pointless place I'm in where the only way I can avoid whole decks of Epics is with the 1 pt games.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Don't forget you can back out at the 1/3/5 select screen and reroll if you see someone with an oddly high number of exhbitions played and try to avoid sandbaggers that way

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That helps a little but its still no guarantee. I just played a 3 because the guy had a 2:1 W:L ratio and he still had at least 6 Epics in his deck and then a bunch of Uncommons. I managed to edge out a win with a little luck in shuffling but that easily could have been an rear end kicking on me like I've been experiencing of late. At some point it just starts to feel like it makes more sense to get the easier 1 pt if I'm losing 3 out of every 4 "+3" games.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

simosimo posted:

As ever, our glorius Wrestling game leader MDickie has a game where you run a wrestling show to please the fans.

You get match scores each match, which are determined by Heel/face match ups, rivalries and general match performance. The performance is a number rating which changes on the fly during the match, so the more moves you do the higher it climbs.

Although as soon as you stop it drops down immediately, so even if you have climbed to a 5 star match, the AI can walk out of the ring up to the entrance ramp and stand there aimlessly [which happens frequently] for a few seconds, and the match would drop to a 2 star stinker. Downtime simply cannot happen. Good luck with those Ai v ai matches :)

if 2K had any sense, they'd dump Yukes, sue MDickie, steal his code and develop a better wrestling game from it.

Seriously, MDickie is so loving close to making a great wrestling game its nuts.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Realistically, the way to prevent sand bagging would be to tier people based on their lowest level card. So something like you can only be 2 tiers higher than the lowest card in your deck.

So if you're going for survivor tier, lowest card in your play deck has to be an epic. So people trying to run KOTR with 3 survivor pros & a bunch of commons could only enter in the rare level KOTR. Or people sandbagging in PPC/Exhibition can only draw up to rare/super rare cards (if they're using commons/uncommons respectively).

Then for match-ups base it on their highest tier of card. So if they're running survivor pros, they're competing against others that have survivor pros. So they're drawing lower tier cards and competing against people who are at least competitive for them (if not able to beat them). Just remove any value that sandbagging offers them. No more easy wins with good returns. You can have easy wins with poo poo returns, or competitive matches with good returns.

I'm sure there's a means to work that into RTG as well. I just can't think how at this precise moment.

Also that would require higher cards to drop more frequently in exhibition so people can continue to advance. 2000+ matches on average to pull a survivor card is annoying as poo poo.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

STAC Goat posted:

That helps a little but its still no guarantee. I just played a 3 because the guy had a 2:1 W:L ratio and he still had at least 6 Epics in his deck and then a bunch of Uncommons. I managed to edge out a win with a little luck in shuffling but that easily could have been an rear end kicking on me like I've been experiencing of late. At some point it just starts to feel like it makes more sense to get the easier 1 pt if I'm losing 3 out of every 4 "+3" games.

the wall is hilarious considering I was winning +5 matches well into Flair and
I immediately hit a point at like 40 points in where I struggled and still am struggling to win +1 matches

RTG is definitely the most fun game mode they've made, the last one was fun and it's sad that this one immediately became a humongous pain in the rear end

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happitoo posted:

So if you're going for survivor tier, lowest card in your play deck has to be an epic. So people trying to run KOTR with 3 survivor pros & a bunch of commons could only enter in the rare level KOTR. Or people sandbagging in PPC/Exhibition can only draw up to rare/super rare cards (if they're using commons/uncommons respectively).

This isn't a deterrent, if I get anything higher than a super rare from a pull it's a shock. PCC/RTG are basically the only way for me to improve my deck anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I realized that I had enough SR/UR cards to fill my RTG deck so I decided to pull the trigger and feed all my Rare Pros to them and have an exclusively UR/SR deck. Figured my Maxxed Out Rare Pros were getting their asses kicked so consistently that I couldn't do any worse with a bunch of untrained/unpro SRs.

It hasn't really improved my win percentage but it pushed my RTG deck into "Ultra Rare" tier which somehow seems to have got me past the sandbagger tier I was stuck on. I'm no longer losing to decks that are 50% Epic and 50% Uncommon. Now I'm just losing to decks of trained/pro SRs and URs. Which honestly, feels a little better somehow. At least these guys are kind of my peers.

And at least I upped my RTG and Exhibition rankings so maybe I'll draw more URs and SRs and less increasingly useless Rares.

Bard Maddox posted:

the wall is hilarious considering I was winning +5 matches well into Flair and
I immediately hit a point at like 40 points in where I struggled and still am struggling to win +1 matches

RTG is definitely the most fun game mode they've made, the last one was fun and it's sad that this one immediately became a humongous pain in the rear end
Yeah, that "wall" is my problem. I expecting things to get gradually harder as I started to hit the levels I was peaking at and the levels I don't have. All the way through Super Rare I was cruising and winning every +5 match easily. And then I hit UR and I couldn't buy a win. There was no gradual increase or anything, just a wall. Its a bad game design because it doesn't give me the sense that I can improve and overcome the gap. I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall/ceiling.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

coconono posted:

if 2K had any sense, they'd dump Yukes, sue MDickie, steal his code and develop a better wrestling game from it.

Seriously, MDickie is so loving close to making a great wrestling game its nuts.

I keep imaging an MDickie game with FirePro AI and wishing I had game development knowledge and a ten year headstart.

FPR is the only wrestling game where I can lose a match and not feel like it's bullshit. Usually because it's the AI taking advantage of a legitimate mistake after a long back and forth match, instead of the CPU randomly deciding to counter a finisher.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

One FPR match had Sting and Flair beating the poo poo out of each other which ended in Flair rolling me up with a quick cradle for the pin. I wasn't even mad.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that "wall" is my problem. I expecting things to get gradually harder as I started to hit the levels I was peaking at and the levels I don't have. All the way through Super Rare I was cruising and winning every +5 match easily. And then I hit UR and I couldn't buy a win. There was no gradual increase or anything, just a wall. Its a bad game design because it doesn't give me the sense that I can improve and overcome the gap. I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall/ceiling.

I've hit it at 125/155 legendary tier with Nattie.

Now even the 1+ have people with 3-4 survivor cards and 2-3 legendary pro cards, how am I supposed to compete against them with 4 legendarys and 6 epic pros.

Even if I was to spend money on the game I still wouldnt have a chance in winning it really does seem like they screwed up considering its a FTP game with a cash shop attached to it. If they made it harder to get through the tiers due to time instead of a literal brick wall in the competition they would probably have more people paying for the title matches.

The thing is since the change to KOTR its just impossible to naturally progress as there is such a big jump in the competition from Epic to Legendary.

Once I get Nattie legendary to get my first legendary pro card I will probably take a little break from these events and a game for a bit as I've been finding myself utterly addicted to this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Even if I was to spend money on the game I still wouldnt have a chance in winning it really does seem like they screwed up considering its a FTP game with a cash shop attached to it. If they made it harder to get through the tiers due to time instead of a literal brick wall in the competition they would probably have more people paying for the title matches.
Yeah, this is just a poorly designed FTP aspect. They all set it up so if you want everything you probably have to lay money down. That's fine. But you need to make the game playable for free so people are enticed to pay to get over some hump. And you need to make the money get them over that hump. It should be a small fee to get that thing that's JUST out of reach. And when I get that you put something else JUST out of reach.

But that's not it. I could go buy an Epic or a Survivor card but what good would that do me? I'd have to buy half a dozen at least to make any difference. You want someone to go "Oh, if I spend $5 I can get that thing that's just out of reach? Ok." Not "So I have to pay like $100 to get myself competitive? gently caress that." Its silly.

edit:

I've adopted a "reverse" strategy that has improved my win percentage slightly. First I look for a beatable opponent. Something no worse than a 3:1 W:L ratio but ideally a 2:1 or worse. Then when I get in I purposely play my weakest cards first in the hopes that the AI plays all their kick rear end Epics and Legendarys and UR Pros then and "wastes" them on my weaker cards. Then hopefully I can pick up wins later in the round with my stronger cards going against their weaker cards and win a war of attrition.

It works, sometimes. It depends on the strength of the deck and the luck of the shuffle. And sometimes inexplicably the AI seems to do the same thing and holds back its best cards for the 3rd or 4th rounds. But when it works my 20th and 19th best cards are being sacrificed to their big wigs and my top and midrange cards are preying on their "sandbag" cards. I think I may have scored 15 whole points on that last hour of games.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2015