Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Urgent: Looking for 6 Cartoonists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

Like, I realize that Ramirez doesn't meant that, but I can't really figure out his intended meaning at all.

"Political Correctness silences the loud violent sounds of Islam, disguising it and prevent it from being recognized, as a ridiculous movie silencer does for a gun."

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Like, I realize that Ramirez doesn't meant that, but I can't really figure out his intended meaning at all.

"PC makes Radical Islam sound less dangerous, but still as deadly"

I dunno, seems pretty obvious to me.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, but then you remember that terrorism is generally about making as much noise as possible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Political Correctness silences the loud violent sounds of Islam, disguising it and prevent it from being recognized, as a ridiculous movie silencer does for a gun."

Okay yeah, I see that now, I kinda forgot that Guns still work with silencers on 'em (I am not a gun owner in case you can't tell)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, I got what Ramirez meant, but years of his cartoons make it easy to suss out his intent.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like that Rall should deserve some kind of Gay Abortion award and we are only 8 days in.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

It's a little gauche, but I could use a "Haw Haw! Right up his rear end!" cartoon atm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Okay yeah, I see that now, I kinda forgot that Guns still work with silencers on 'em (I am not a gun owner in case you can't tell)

It's okay, I only got it because I assumed 'what would a terrible person say' and extrapolated from there.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus loving Christ.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

loquacius posted:

Man, skinheads sure do love Israel and Jews in general

There are absolutely Zionist skinheads soooooo

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
:eng101: Randler presents: Actual quotes for people who care. (Nerds!)

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SPEECH posted:

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt -- it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women -- it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons. (Applause.)

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country’s resources -- it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied.

From the context, Obama is either condemning Muslim extremists as those who slander the prophet of Islam or is generally condemning the flaring up of intra-religous conflict during the Arab Spring while explicitly saying that all religions and their symbols should be protected. I tend to assume the latter interpretation is more in line with what Obama wanted to express. I don't see any in good faith interpretation of that line that could line up with what McCoy is expressing here. (i.e. Obama is siding with the Muslims and only the Muslims.)

So yeah, McCoy is being obviously disingenuous. And the amusing part is, as it's so often with politoons, that he has no need to be disingenuous. He could just as easily frame Obama as valuing putting up other people's feelings above freedom of speech and be arguably still within a reasonable, though partisan, interpretation of the speech. But I guess McCoy just couldn't handle having to maybe allow for criticism of non-Islam religions on the way. :shrug:

(Of course my personal opinion on the matter is that, like most political cartoonists, they are just not very good at being propagandists, despite editorial cartoonists by necessity being paid propagandists.)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

loquacius posted:

Man, skinheads sure do love Israel and Jews in general

I'm pretty sure a lot of skin heads are big believers in segregating the races. They believe that Jews (all Jews) should be relocated to Israel.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA posted:

The future must... see... that... the Holocaust... is denied.

I loving knew it.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

I feel like that Rall should deserve some kind of Gay Abortion award and we are only 8 days in.

And this is why I think the awards need to be in three trimesters. Because by December we will have seen so much poo poo that it will be forgotten.. mostly. End of April seems less likely.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Taking poo poo horribly out of context is a time-honored tradition.

Back when Arlen Specter was running as a Democrat his Republican opponent cherrypicked a line from something he said in response to accusations that he did it to get re-elected. So there were a bunch of radio ads with him saying "My change in party will enable me to be re-elected."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

And this is why I think the awards need to be in three trimesters. Because by December we will have seen so much poo poo that it will be forgotten.. mostly. End of April seems less likely.
I think last year was special because a lot of awful poo poo was backloaded. Everything with Ferguson and beyond happens in the second half of the year, along with ebola and other poo poo like midterms and the illegal immigration stuff. The Israel/Palestine conflict flared up again in July, so it was just the nature of the past year's more interesting events happening in the last six months.

I mean, I'm not opposed to Trimesters (and I guess the winners of each Trimester can compete in an end-of-the-year slugfest), but I'm thinking back to the first part of 2014, and a lot of the news was polar vortex poo poo.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Third Trimester Gay Abortions are the worst.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sure, Obama seems sincere, but what if you just change the words a little bit......

quote:

The future must not belong to those who target Aryans in Germany -- it must be claimed by those at the Nuremberg rallies who chanted, "Heil Hitler." The future must not belong to those who bully Nazis -- it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our Aryan daughters can live their dreams just like our Aryan sons. (Applause.)

The future must not belong to those corrupt Jews who stab a country in the back -- it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for Aryan people. Those are the women and men that Germany stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the the Fuhrer, Hitler. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of the Kaiser that are desecrated, or beer halls that are destroyed, or the dolchstoss that is denied.

My God... Obama is a Nazi!

e: for context see http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599044&pagenumber=1542&perpage=40#post439474754

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Shugojin posted:

Back when Arlen Specter was running as a Democrat his Republican opponent cherrypicked a line from something he said in response to accusations that he did it to get re-elected. So there were a bunch of radio ads with him saying "My change in party will enable me to be re-elected."

Obviously. My point is more that they are so incompetent and/or evil, that they lie even when it wouldn't be necessary for them to do so to push their agenda because I think people shout hate on bad craftsmanship regardless of whether or not they agree with the message espoused.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cpt.Americant posted:

I have finals end of April which would preclude me running a first trimester award, although someone else could do it. I think the awards should be an annual thing but also we could do a sort of review every 3 or 4 months to ensure we remember the bad cartoons from early in the year. We can also use that time to come up with topical awards. I admit that The Interview was a bad category for the 2014 Gay Abortions, there should have been something about Ukraine instead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Is there something going on with cartoonists where they take pictures of their drawing boards and post them on Twitter?
https://twitter.com/Rob_Rogers/status/553376850257653760
I like the fact that Rob made that Charlie Brown mug himself :allears:

Also since its still a new thread I think this would be a good thing to put in the OP for Rob Rogers, his TedxPSU talk about how he goes upon cartooning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkxMGxIQ8k

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The context being stripped from Obama's speech is cool because the same people who'll freak about it are the ones who took mad offence at contextless CH 'toons

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I like the message of this one. Humor and good will can always prevail over violence simply because people need to smile more than they need to hate :unsmith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I take solace in knowing this rear end in a top hat will never ever have a career in cartooning again.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Some Hong Kong cartoons about the Charlie thing:

Harry's looks like a piece of wartime propaganda

We've all seen this one a million times

"the rain of blood waters the spring bamboo"

And then this last one reminds us that English education in Hong Kong could use some improvement:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

That last one is even better with the butchered english.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

b0ner of doom posted:

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with being anti-Islam.

I said anti-Muslim. As in, opposed to Muslim people (which includes people who culturally or ethnically identify as Muslim or are identified as Muslim), not opposed to Islam on ideological grounds.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

I think last year was special because a lot of awful poo poo was backloaded. Everything with Ferguson and beyond happens in the second half of the year, along with ebola and other poo poo like midterms and the illegal immigration stuff. The Israel/Palestine conflict flared up again in July, so it was just the nature of the past year's more interesting events happening in the last six months.

I mean, I'm not opposed to Trimesters (and I guess the winners of each Trimester can compete in an end-of-the-year slugfest), but I'm thinking back to the first part of 2014, and a lot of the news was polar vortex poo poo.
The first part of 2014 also had the debt limit, the start of the Cliven Bundy poo poo, the horror of bakers being forced to :supaburn:make wedding cakes for gay people:supaburn:, the usual gaggle of assholes making GBS threads themselves over Pope Francis saying "hey maybe be nice to gay people", Russia invading Ukraine, the first round of Obama vs Putin, and conservatives falling in love with "strong manly Putin-sama" (and doing a bunch of strong manly Putin:syoon:/weak wimpy Obama cartoons).

Oh, and Xylo posted a hellishly sad and horrifying comic about how Australia literally puts immigrants seeking asylum in concentration camps. I had totally forgot about that until I went hunting though the first part of the old thread.:stare:

TL;DR: The Trimesters would be good at keeping bad cartoons (and even good cartoons) from being lost in the shuffle, because poo poo gets lost in 1500 pages, and even at four months that's probably going to be a good 500 pages of material for the first trimester Gay Abortions (especially with what's just happened).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Putin stuff simmered all year long, so that faded into the background for me :doh:

But you've made your point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shugojin posted:

What difference, at this point, does it make?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Who the gently caress uses a silencer on an AK-47? How would that even begin to work?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Who the gently caress uses a silencer on an AK-47? How would that even begin to work?
I'm the artist went over that very question dozens of times in his head before deciding that it was ok to show a silencer on an AK-47 in the name of artistic license.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

The Putin stuff simmered all year long, so that faded into the background for me :doh:

But you've made your point.
Just to clarify (because I realized might have sounded like a bit of an rear end in a top hat in my post), I also had forgotten about most the Putin stuff, the Pope Francis stuff, the "wedding cake" stuff, and even the goddamn debt limit until I went back to look at the old thread.

It's actually kind of amazing just how quickly stuff fades into the background when you're not being reminded of it, and it's why I like the idea of Gay Abortion Trimesters so much, it means lovely cartoons from every part of the year get the attention/hatred they deserve. (Plus we get to have 3 times as many Gay Abortions in a year.:getin:)

Also thanks for using that image of Kirschen's "Cuckoo bird" cards for his cartoon in the OP, I'm happy to see my work was noticed.:allears: I put that picture together because I wanted one single image for the Gay Abortions that showed just how loving crazy Kirschen had has become, and six caricatures that would make a Nazi propagandist proud fit the bill perfectly.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fulchrum posted:

They seem to exist, although a "silencer" really only turns the "KABOOM" of a gun into "KAPOW". Since the Kalashnikov is a particularly noisy gun, I imagine it only makes the shooter sound like he's a bit further away.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Meanwhile, on a more nuanced corner of the internet:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Sir Rolo posted:

NO I WANT TO BLOW UP ISLAM THE MOST!! ME I DO *jumps up & down until he gets all tuckered out*

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir Rolo posted:

"Attack the beliefs, not the people. Let's nuke a crowded holy city."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chamale posted:

"Attack the beliefs, not the people. Let's nuke a crowded holy city."

I would bet good money these people think Mecca is the size of Vatican City.

• Locked thread