Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Fauxtool posted:

i heard that Sonic plays ads in areas with no location just to drum up buzz before they open one up.

They have been playing them in my area for 6+ years now and the nearest one is over an hour away.

The nearest sonic to me is 125 miles away in the next state over and they still play ads here all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean that makes sense with the national stuff or a place 2 hours away or something. You can't make it perfect.

I was more speaking to offering services to states where you don't even do business nearby. Like getting East coast food joints in the midwest or stuff like that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

To be fair, the first time I ever saw a sonic in person I was definitely interested in trying it. If they hadn't been advertising to me for years, I doubt I would have cared.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

To be fair, the first time I ever saw a sonic in person I was definitely interested in trying it. If they hadn't been advertising to me for years, I doubt I would have cared.

Yeah. FWIW, when I finally came across a Sonic as a youth I was frothing at the bit to try it. Subsequently, my family would always make a stop at one when we were in the American South. Ads have been running in my home state for as long as I can remember, and my hometown finally JUST got the first one in the state. Absolutely everyone in the town was already aware of the brand and the place was reportedly swarmed on opening day. So yeah it absolutely works.

As I aged their stuff lost all of its luster and I would never choose to hike out to the suburbs of my current city to try their mediocre at best food, but hey

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Geico had a radio commercial where the gecko is going on about Virginia ham. I've eaten uncounted pounds of ham from rural farmer's markets and church fundraisers, and even helped cure the ham from a freshly-slaughtered pig, but neither I nor any other Virginian I've asked knows the difference between Virginia ham and other ham.

I'm up in Massachusetts and we get Geico radio commercials where the gecko talks about codfish and a carving of a codfish that's apparently hanging in the state house. I imagine Geico does all kinds of regional ads like this to make the customer base in that area feel more.. I dunno, appreciated or something? "We know some facts about your state and its people, kind of. We care!"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Lululemon Athletica recently brought a store to a mall in Buffalo, NY. To give the store a local spin they put two text references to pretty major buffalo sports controversies:

Wide Right

No goal (nearish bottom of page)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-15/lululemon-apologizes-for-irking-buffalo-fans.html

They apologized and took it down. I don't really care about the store or what they did. Twitter rage takes up so much wasted time sometimes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cage posted:

Lululemon Athletica recently brought a store to a mall in Buffalo, NY. To give the store a local spin they put two text references to pretty major buffalo sports controversies:

Wide Right

No goal (nearish bottom of page)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-15/lululemon-apologizes-for-irking-buffalo-fans.html

They apologized and took it down. I don't really care about the store or what they did. Twitter rage takes up so much wasted time sometimes.

That's hilarious. I love the other stupid things Lululemon did that were mentioned in the article. The $100 see through yoga pants that they initially refused to admit were defective and see through.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cage posted:

It's not the end of the world, but it was a goddamn stupid move. I'm not even sure what their original plan was. "Hey, city that's known for being rather fanatic about sports! Remember that time that you lost a Super Bowl in the final seconds that people still make fun of you about twenty years later? And the time you lost the Stanley Cup on a call so bad that the guy who made the shot even said it was wrong? BUY OUR PANTS!" That's like setting up a luggage store in Atlanta called Carpetbagger's.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

canyoneer posted:

That's hilarious. I love the other stupid things Lululemon did that were mentioned in the article. The $100 see through yoga pants that they initially refused to admit were defective and see through.

Hey, I wasn't complaining :smug:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Ahahaha, how thin skinned can you get? It's a freaking sport. Glad it backfired, though. Fake local pride is obnoxious.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pentyne posted:

This absolutely happens. The only Sonic in Virgina is about at the halfway point between Richmond and DC, a 3 hour drive, and Sonic ads air on every channel in DC. The next closest one is in Baltimore, about 2-3 hours away.

Still haven't opened a Sonic anywhere closer in the last 5 years though.

Your point stands, because these are even further away, but there is definitely more than one Sonic in VA (2 here on the Peninsula, that I know of).

I'm wondering: Is there possibly a connection between advertising outside the immediate area, but where a location is close to a vacation destination? Like the thinking is, "hey, as long as you're at Williamsburg/Busch Gardens, why not try that Sonic you've heard so much about?" My sister gets Sonic ads even though the closest one to her is 2 hours away, so when she visited me and saw there was one in my neighborhood, she was stoked as hell to try it. Just out of curiosity, is the one you're talking about near King's Dominion?

And all this GEICO chat... where's the Flo love at? (I like Flo; GEICO's squealing pig can get turned into "Virginia ham".)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
e: nvm I can't read

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 9, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tempest_56 posted:

It's not the end of the world, but it was a goddamn stupid move. I'm not even sure what their original plan was. "Hey, city that's known for being rather fanatic about sports! Remember that time that you lost a Super Bowl in the final seconds that people still make fun of you about twenty years later? And the time you lost the Stanley Cup on a call so bad that the guy who made the shot even said it was wrong? BUY OUR PANTS!" That's like setting up a luggage store in Atlanta called Carpetbagger's.

They should have named it the "Wide Right" sale and see if Scott Norwood was up for being a spokesman.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tempest_56 posted:

Considering 90% of metro Atlanta is carpetbaggers I doubt they'd care.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was curious about my nearest Sonic, so I just looked. 600 miles from here and I'm still getting their commercials. :stare:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Sonic chat: They put vanilla flavoring in their onion rings. Revolting.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The North Tower posted:

Tell me why Boeing spends money on ads! There has to be a reason!

They're not advertising their products, they're advertising their stock.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Boeing and other manufacturers its 3fold reasons typically. The first is you're richer than hell so you blow money saying hey random consumer we still exist and absolutely rule; please continue knowing our existence. Tied with this is the second which is you have to reach all the people involved in the decision making process and when your dealing with contracts this valuable often involving tons and tons of people across the whole process why not smother tv with ads. A week of national tv probably doesn't represent 1% of a contract. The third is good ol prestige. Even when it doesn't make any sense ceos/owners/founders loving love seeing their product on tv and trust me getting a call that a spot they were watching for didn't run is an absolutely soul sucking moment.

As for sonic having known people working on the account its that its way more efficient to buy national spots than it is to buy market select for them and higher level people know that in markets where there are no Sonics people who travel by them are way way more likely to pick a sonic because its worked into their brain and I guess whatever money that makes and the prestige that it causes them joy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"No goal" is weird no matter the context, to be honest. Unless you're catering specifically to losers, in both sport and life.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The North Tower posted:

Tell me why Boeing spends money on ads! There has to be a reason!

There are ads for specific fighter planes around the Metro in DC. People who influence those sorts of decisions watch TV too.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Fauxtool posted:

i heard that Sonic plays ads in areas with no location just to drum up buzz before they open one up.

They have been playing them in my area for 6+ years now and the nearest one is over an hour away.

actually they just do a national ad buy. They buy the advertising in the master copy that gets broadcast. It's not a stupid decision, because its probably cheaper than buying in each arket with a Sonic, and it makes people far more likely to see the Sonic sign on a road trip and stop there for lunch.

e: and having worked at one, they're not worth the extra oney compared to other fast food places, but its worth trying. Sonic corporate is also fantical about stores making the grade and is not afraid to pull franchise licenses. You can guarantee that any sonic that has been in business at least 3 years is probably the most sanitary fast food place in town. Not always, but most of the time.

Dr Jankenstein has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Jan 9, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And all this GEICO chat... where's the Flo love at? (I like Flo; GEICO's squealing pig can get turned into "Virginia ham".)
I'll take Flo any day over that obnoxious talking hand shrieking "NAILED IT!"

Maybe that's their angle -- making something worse than Flo so that people will be happy when they pull her out again.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

canyoneer posted:

I liked them better when all they had here was a small test market store in the city. Then they made the big move into the mall right when one of their head dudes proclaimed only fit people should wear their clothes and basically turned into the Abercrombie of athletic wear. Actually, I think they always were, but for whatever reason I was fooled into thinking lulu lemon was some rad little boutique shop for a time. I still really like the stuff I got there back then, but upon going into their mall store the vibe wasn't very friendly and the price was even more expensive so gently caress that.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Bill Hicks was right.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Growing up in Canada we watched a lot if American tv. So it was super common to see ads for businesses that didn't even operate in my country, prices given in a different currency, and sales for holidays we don't celebrate.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Chocolate comes from South America. Suck it Europe.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bippie Mishap posted:

Chocolate comes from South America. Suck it Europe.

Mesoamerica actually, and it is in Mesoamerica, in the beating Heart of México that it is still done best. :colbert:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of the worst decisions was to put anti-piracy ads on DVDs that people have bought legitimately. There's nothing worse than someone berating you to buy something legally on something you've bought legally. Of course, when copies are made the groups usually strip out all of the ads first, giving people who have funded piracy a better experience.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

One of the worst decisions was to put anti-piracy ads on DVDs that people have bought legitimately. There's nothing worse than someone berating you to buy something legally on something you've bought legally. Of course, when copies are made the groups usually strip out all of the ads first, giving people who have funded piracy a better experience.

Hopefully, this doesn't count as a meme, but it is pertinent.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

DrVenkman posted:

This is why Netflix is such a boon to the movie industry it strips out all the bullshit and makes legally watching content easier than pirating.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DrVenkman posted:

This is true when it comes to DRM in video games too. I remember hearing about how DRM ruined the PC Assassin's Creed II experience for people who bought it legitimately by not letting you play it offline, having so many DRM processes that the game chugged, etc (at least I think that's what it was, I might be wrong) whereas pirates just got to play the game in much better quality than actual buyers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Hopefully, this doesn't count as a meme, but it is pertinent.

i remember all those bluray commercials in 2001

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sonic chat: They put vanilla flavoring in their onion rings. Revolting.

It really is. Some of their stuff is pretty tasty but using vanilla milkshake in the fryer batter absolutely ruins the onion rings.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Blu-Ray adds another layer of delays, for your convenience, when it tries to connect to the internet for some reason to improve your viewing experience somehow.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alouicious posted:

i remember all those bluray commercials in 2001

Did you know they rerelease movies all the time with new editions, especially major cultural touchstone movies like the Matrix?

Stoatbringer posted:

Blu-Ray adds another layer of delays, for your convenience, when it tries to connect to the internet for some reason to improve your viewing experience somehow.

To show you up-to-date ads so you can know about the company's most recent products!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

mr. mephistopheles posted:

To show you up-to-date ads so you can know about the company's most recent products!

And to verify that you haven't hacked the firmware, and to send in data about your viewing habits.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Stoatbringer posted:

Which is always fun when my Blu Ray player stops working because it had trouble connecting to the internet. I got really frustrated when I first made the upgrade from DVD to BR because it immediately had to download a bunch of updates. I'm surprised BR has caught on so well when the player itself adds a whole level of inconvenience that DVD never had.

Also, ads before movies are annoying, but they take like 15 seconds to fast forward through, so when people complain about unskippable ads, it's not like you have to sit there and watch 10 minutes of trailers to get to the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Meltathon posted:

it's not like you have to sit there and watch 10 minutes of trailers to get to the movie.

I went and saw the 3rd Hobbit film a week ago and there were over half an hour of ads and trailers before the film started.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Still, the button to skip is right there on your remote: the fact that some dingus programmed the dvd so it doesn't work when I want it to really got on my tits the first time I watched a dvd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went and saw the 3rd Hobbit film a week ago and there were over half an hour of ads and trailers before the film started.

The holiday release of the third film in a blockbuster trilogy? I'm surprised there weren't more ads.

davidspackage posted:

Still, the button to skip is right there on your remote: the fact that some dingus programmed the dvd so it doesn't work when I want it to really got on my tits the first time I watched a dvd.

UOP/PUO/whatever is the worst poo poo. Your options used to be
  • deal with it
  • buy a region-free player from a mystery seller in Taiwan
  • rip all of your discs, re-author them, then re-burn them
if you didn't want to deal with that poo poo.

"Hey, let's make it so the customer who paid full MSRP for this DVD can't skip or fast-forward though things we want them to see! It's a great idea!"

--someone in Hell