Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Linedance posted:

Without chasing down the details, I'd guess a max braking event while fully loaded, followed by an expedited taxi to attempt to cool the brakes and hope all the fuse plugs don't blow... Oh... never mind, just continue taxiing then.
All four right main gear tires blew on landing, the pilots failed to notice and taxied to the gate, where the damage was discovered. Here's what the tires looked like, note the scratches on the concrete:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's a better explanation than I gleaned from skimming the Brazilian forum I originally saw the pics at! (I can't read Portuguese)

http://forum.contatoradar.com.br/index.php/topic/113527-767-da-american-estoura-4-pneus-durante-pouso-no-galeao/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Holy poo poo, the smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGM2G0IXbRk

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

two_beer_bishes posted:

Turkish Airlines have two chefs on board long haul flights.

Plus they say you owe it to yourself if you ever fly Qantas' A380s to spring for business class if you've got the funds, simply because of the menu. Plus they give you free pajamas. :3:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

VikingSkull posted:

the shark face is the best when you spot it

Remora face.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hobbesmaster posted:

Bad coffee is great on a 5am flight. Similarly the best coffee shop in the world is the starbucks in NRT between the baggage claim and train station.

I know I've posted this before, but the very first picture I took when I arrived in Narita.

It's better because I flew direct from Seattle. Starbucks to Starbucks, the world over.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Just caught this photo off the US Naval Forces Europe twitter page... Didn't realize this was what a 'stowed' Osprey looked like!

"Ospreys are very large, distinctively shaped raptors, mostly grayish in color & often found operating near water."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

thetechnoloser posted:

Just caught this photo off the US Naval Forces Europe twitter page... Didn't realize this was what a 'stowed' Osprey looked like!

"Ospreys are very large, distinctively shaped raptors, mostly grayish in color & often found operating near water."

Tell me it can unstow by itself without a team of mechanics, just using internal hydraulics and electrics! That would be loving awesome... Actually, no, I'm just gonna pretend it does that anyway...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Linedance posted:

Tell me it can unstow by itself without a team of mechanics, just using internal hydraulics and electrics! That would be loving awesome... Actually, no, I'm just gonna pretend it does that anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaiQxdKuSh8

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

I'm really impressed, actually. I know that's sped up as all hell, and they probably edited out some crew unlocking bits here and there, but I figured there was no way that was automated to that extent.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm really impressed, actually. I know that's sped up as all hell, and they probably edited out some crew unlocking bits here and there, but I figured there was no way that was automated to that extent.

The regular speed version gives the impression of some creature waking up from a long nap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRhdjSFWgU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

thetechnoloser posted:

They worked on it long enough, it should poo poo gold.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Self-powered stowage has been a thing since pretty much the dawn of carrier aviation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbPriiTTlw&t=52s

The V-22 sequence looks sci-fi as hell, but aside from the tilt mechanism it uses in normal flight, all it is is a 90 degree pivot, followed by simple powered hinges on the rotor blades. Probably the least unbelievable part of the whole plane, but yeah it looks cool as hell.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Entone posted:

The regular speed version gives the impression of some creature waking up from a long nap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRhdjSFWgU

No loving way.

Fucknag posted:

Self-powered stowage has been a thing since pretty much the dawn of carrier aviation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbPriiTTlw&t=52s

The V-22 sequence looks sci-fi as hell, but aside from the tilt mechanism it uses in normal flight, all it is is a 90 degree pivot, followed by simple powered hinges on the rotor blades. Probably the least unbelievable part of the whole plane, but yeah it looks cool as hell.

Yeah I get that. I just had no idea. This is the first time I've ever seen the Osprey do that. I'm completely shocked.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fucknag posted:

The folding wings introduced on the F4F-4 Wildcat (earlier marks had fixed wings) were manually operated because the hydraulic system added too much weight. But I've seen a TBM Avenger folding its wings, they go by themselves and surprisingly quickly too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Entone posted:

The level of engineering that makes something of that complexity happen reliably blows my loving mind. Goddamn I love airplanes.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Entone posted:

I always got a sort of peacock "...Laaaaaaadies? eh? eh?? ehhhhhhhhhhhh?" vibe. Especially from the beginning of the video Bob A Feet linked a page or two ago.

:stare: I bet the airport staff loving loved the FOD walk after this guy's little trip in.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnv8GOGNhso

MH-53E Blade fold. This system is what makes or breaks good AEs. The video starts a bit slow because there's some dude in the cockpit (not a pilot) aligning the blades' pitch manually with collective and stick using the Star Wars Gauge. Then, he flips the fold switch. Pitch locks engage, lockpin motors engage, fold motors engage. Blades swing back. This is all after the automatic positioner drives the rotor head into the correct position (1degree), measured via a slip ring.

This is all done with relay logic and electrohydraulic sequencing. The electrical schematic alone is 4 11x51" fold-out pages. It's been nearly ten years since I worked on one, but I know if the rotor head hunts (rapidly goes from forward to reverse without parking), go to the #2 relay panel just aft of the crew door. About a third of the way down is the k74 relay. Hit it (it's probably already got a dent) and the head will stop hunting.

Tail fold is pretty straighforward though. You see the dude with the stick. After the tail driveshaft disengages, it takes a bit of time for the pinion lock servo to drive out; in high winds, the tail rotor can freespin fast enough to break that servo arm off, then you've got a freespinning tail. To fix that, you spread the tail and just grind the unholy hell out of the tail driveshaft mating gear. Inspections galore.

God, all this hydraulic fluid for the blade fold system goes up into the rotor head through a rotary coupling. OF COURSE IT LEAKS. It leaks badly enough that there's a hydraulic servicing tank in the cabin so the aircrew can pump more fluid in to make up what's lost. One ferry flight, the rotary coupling dies and falls into the drip pan. Fluid is POURING out of this thing as fast as it can be pumped. Well, the aircrew popped the tops on all six gallon cans of fluid in the back (standard issue for a flight) and pumped it all in. Eventually fluid is puking out of the drip pan into the cabin, so they cut the tops off the cans and just make a fire brigade from the drip pan back to the servicing pump, pumping fluid in by hand as fast as it's puking out. The pilots never knew about the issue, other than "#2 hyd temp is pretty low." Good thing, too, otherwise they'd have ditched the bird somewhere, instead of coming all the way home and landing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

They worked on it long enough, it should poo poo gold.

Just imagine how cool the F35b is gonna be when they're finally finished it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Linedance posted:

Just imagine how cool the F35b is gonna be when they're finally finished it!

It probably will literally poo poo gold from all the plated connectors falling out of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Entone posted:

This looks like Yuma.

gently caress Yuma.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A couple of terrible pictures from my 'local' air museum.

RAAF Point Cook, I was there back in march '14 for the Centenary of Flight airshow, 100 years of Military flight with a re-enactment of their Bristol Boxkite replica which flew at the same airfield 100 years earlier, didn't get to see that yesterday as it is in one of the hangars on the flight line, along with the restoration of a mosquito, they only show them off on airshow days.

You can see 360 panos of their displays here:
http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/photo_album/multimedia.htm

Anyway, I only dropped by because I was in that area on the way home, pretty dark inside meant my mobile camera didn't have the best time with pictures, nor did I take clear(ish) photos of everything.

CT4A (NZ Trainer)

DH Vampire T MK 35

CAC Mirage III (Locally made)

DH Vampire F in target 'hauling' colours (as not to be shot)

GAF Pika A93-2, GAF Jindivik A92-47, Catalina

Hawker Siddeley

F-111garoo

GAF Canberra (Australian made), Phantom, F111& related items

Bloodhound Mk3

A bird watching guide from the carpark overlooking the lake at the point cook coastal park.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 9, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

thetechnoloser posted:

With the 22 year development cycle from acceptance of the proposal to Bell in '83 to its first operational use in 2005, it should not only stow itself away, but make a damned good cup of coffee, too.

EDIT: Oh hey, CommieGIR said the same thing, mostly. Welp.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 9, 2015

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Couple pages late for the sleeping discussion.This is on the MD-80 pilot's channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGU_c5E_Hw

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

drunkill posted:

F-111garoo

Gerwalk. :catstare:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It actually stows smaller than a ch-46 too

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I remember one of the alternate theories is that the metal strip caused a tire blow, which exploded a section of tire right into one of the fuel tanks, which was dangerously overloaded. The tire hitting the fuel tank caused a shockwave which ruptured the tank.

Yeah, that's the conclusion they draw in the Air Crash Investigation episode. The shockwave thing seems a little iffy to me, but maybe it was more scientific than the episode showed.

I'm also still surprised that a cruise line would charter the Concorde to fly passengers to the starting point of a cruise. If not for that, I'm sure the list of passengers would have had some famous names on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The accident may not have happened at all if the Concorde wasn't overweight.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Groda posted:

What was that fighter game from the 1990's where all the oil had run out so people are shooting at each other in electric jets?

Strike Commander?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tapet posted:

Strike Commander?

Nah, the oil hadn't run out in SC, it'd just become so scarce that lots of crazy poo poo was happening, like the US splintering again and corporations becoming so large and powerful that they could buy their own armies to fight off governments.

So, you know, mostly fantasy. :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tapet posted:

Strike Commander?

Like I mentioned a few pages ago, I'm pretty sure it was:

slidebite posted:

Ultrafighters (I think?) by Interactive Magic? I used to beta test for them and seem to recall the FUTURISTIC PLANES were electric powered or some drat thing.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Plus they say you owe it to yourself if you ever fly Qantas' A380s to spring for business class if you've got the funds, simply because of the menu. Plus they give you free pajamas. :3:

This is 100% fact, although their A380 economy isn't too shabby either.

Air France on the other hand is hilariously inept at operating their A380s. Last time I flew with them they took 2.5 hours to load +500 passengers through a single boarding checker :france: :psyduck:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

This didn't get enough love. I can just imagine this being the hero of some alt-history Canadian Red Dawn novel. It would be flown by a rogue with a striking similarity (and played by in the obviously a smash hit in canada movie) to Keanu Reeves, and his crew chief would be Red Green.

Also, I think that would look awfully nice on the wall and would be a barometer for the quality of my guests.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Simkin posted:

crew chief would be Red Green.

"And here's where Bill accidentally started up the Arrow... at this point I'd also like to apologize to everyone near Possum Lodge who no longer has windows..."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
A jet interceptor with pontoons is just... just... :allears:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Duke Chin posted:

Been done. At least twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.A/1

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_F2Y_Sea_Dart

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

For a place like Canada it's far more important to have a plane nearby than to have one that's slightly faster. Siberia had similar concerns.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This is 100% fact, although their A380 economy isn't too shabby either.

Air France on the other hand is hilariously inept at operating their A380s. Last time I flew with them they took 2.5 hours to load +500 passengers through a single boarding checker :france: :psyduck:

Wow, that's pretty good for CDG!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

I'm triggering :gonk:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Simkin posted:

This didn't get enough love. I can just imagine this being the hero of some alt-history Canadian Red Dawn novel. It would be flown by a rogue with a striking similarity (and played by in the obviously a smash hit in canada movie) to Keanu Reeves, and his crew chief would be Red Green.

Also, I think that would look awfully nice on the wall and would be a barometer for the quality of my guests.

I just wish the scale was correct. Or maybe that cabin is HUGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Those are both flying boats. There are other examples as well. Be-200? The be-10 as well.

I still want to see something big, jet powered, and crazy, on pontoons. A 737? Leerjet? Like a DC-3 on pontoons.