Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm giving up on MH3U. just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
looks like hotly anticipated romance mystery visual novel with romancable guys dUpLicity ~Beyond the Lies~ was just released on Steam so maybe i will give that a go.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i'm giving up on MH3U. just not for me.

i came to this conclusion as well. like i like it, but not enough to put the 8 hours into it that are required to know if i will like to play it more. also it has some esoteric bull poo poo that pisses me off

was gonna reactivate ffxiv but i might do it tomorrow night idk we will see. i'll probably just play dota

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a literal dota player posted:

also it has some esoteric bull poo poo that pisses me off

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

hubris.height posted:

i'll probably just play dota

do anything,

ANYTHING

besides this

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

triple sulk posted:

Can you world transfer to Excalibur at all

yeah, one of my friends couldn't create a new character but he was able to transfer an existing character over from exodus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bayonetta is easier than mgr, you have a single "dodge anything" button that also puts the enemies into slow motion if you do it right

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
holy loving poo poo i just realized that fal'cie from ffxiii is supposed to sound like the word fallacy

god drat it

gently caress you nomura

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Space-Pope posted:

holy loving poo poo i just realized that fal'cie from ffxiii is supposed to sound like the word fallacy

god drat it

gently caress you nomura

oh you :3:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

though it's p. problematic that a game about space korea made by a white toronto developer is labeled "anime"

yeah what the gently caress is the story behind that? i understand it was literally made entirely by some random white canadian woman? is she just like an ultra-koreaboo or something?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ELL

OH

ELLLLLLLLL

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

im the cod4 promotional screenshot

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

BBJoey posted:

im the cod4 promotional screenshot

i was excited to find out people still play this but all of the servers have tons of rules about which attachments and weapons you can use

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Space-Pope posted:

gently caress you nomura

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
ahh just fired up captain toad now. man, this game is pretty ... and so cute <3

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ridinspinnaz posted:

yeah, one of my friends couldn't create a new character but he was able to transfer an existing character over from exodus

It's pretty early here and I logged onto the account management to see if I could do a transfer and it was open, so I just did. Hail

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i was excited to find out people still play this but all of the servers have tons of rules about which attachments and weapons you can use

you shall have fun on my terms or not at all

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hubris.height posted:

i came to this conclusion as well. like i like it, but not enough to put the 8 hours into it that are required to know if i will like to play it more. also it has some esoteric bull poo poo that pisses me off

was gonna reactivate ffxiv but i might do it tomorrow night idk we will see. i'll probably just play dota

if you every get the chance to go back to the series I recommend it but I can't fault you for that. however, bitching about esoteric bullshit and then saying "im gonna play dota" is really loving stupid hth

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Notorious QIG posted:

saying "im gonna play dota" is really loving stupid hth
:agreed:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

yeah what the gently caress is the story behind that? i understand it was literally made entirely by some random white canadian woman? is she just like an ultra-koreaboo or something?

she had studied the jonseon dynasty and thought it was fascinating and was inspired to make a game about it. christine love did the designing + writing + programming, but not the art.

i don't know that she's super obsessed with korea, her other games are set in a toronto high school, a generic city, and we don't know where My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress as Him and Now I Have to Deal with a Geeky Stalker and a Domme Beauty Who Want Me in a Bind!! will be set but it's probably not korea.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

you shall have fun on my terms or not at all

this is a christian call of duty server, so you will be permabanned if you so much as say "drat" after i shoot you in the head

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

univbee posted:

this is a christian call of duty server, so you will be permabanned if you so much as say "drat" after i shoot you in the head

playing as opfor is an immediate ban and damnation

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
dota is esoteric poo poo that i know and enjoy

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i do not know Christine love personally, but I do know via Twitter that she is a Real Life Canadian Anime and is therefore not to be trifled with

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jonad posted:

i do not know Christine love personally, but I do know via Twitter that she is a Real Life Canadian Anime and is therefore not to be trifled with

canadian anime is some terrible poo poo
once a year SFU becomes completely unbearable to be anywhere near as the anime con descends

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ahmeni posted:

once a year SFU becomes completely unbearable to be anywhere near as the anime con descends

due i think to having one of the biggest and most accessible convention spaces in montreal, ours (which unironically calls itself otakuthon) happens in the "palais de justice" (basically montreal's official courthouse) and is immediately surrounded by things like notre dame cathedral, the central office for the bank of montreal, and chinatown, so suffice it to say the crowds get loving weird as you see people in naruto regalia glomping each-other next to people in really expensive business attire trying to have lunch

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ahmeni posted:

i know a japanese guy who can't find steady work as a proper teacher. he could easily get a job as a japanese teacher, but he'd never do that, partly because once you're cast as the fringe-language-teacher you will never escape that rut, and partly because doing that would mean teaching japanese to teenagers in canada who want to learn japanese

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

univbee posted:

due i think to having one of the biggest and most accessible convention spaces in montreal, ours (which unironically calls itself otakuthon) happens in the "palais de justice" (basically montreal's official courthouse) and is immediately surrounded by things like notre dame cathedral, the central office for the bank of montreal, and chinatown, so suffice it to say the crowds get loving weird as you see people in naruto regalia glomping each-other next to people in really expensive business attire trying to have lunch

otakuthon is in the palais des congrès, not the palais de justice. having it be in the palais de justice would be weird

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

doing that would mean teaching japanese to teenagers in canada who want to learn japanese

it would probably depend on where you went, at montreal university (a.k.a. montreal daigaku, a.k.a. mondai :rimshot: :japan:) most of the students were pretty well-grounded (I was definitely the main :spergin: but at least I wasn't full-on wearing cat ears adding "nya" to the end of sentences). In fact basically everyone else was pretty drat cookie-cutter university student and probably about as normal as uni students get, in my four-ish years of study there were only like 3 people tops studying japanese (myself included) whom you could remotely say were in it for the animes and/or videogames at all, most people were studying for reasons like "my steady girlfriend of a few years is japanese and I want to impress her parents" kind of poo poo

but i've definitely heard stories of japanese 101 classes being crammed full of weirds, maybe the fact that mine was at a university with a vetting process helped

Pinterest Mom posted:

otakuthon is in the palais des congrès, not the palais de justice. having it be in the palais de justice would be weird

:doh: does it show i haven't been to that area in a few years?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
don't be ashamed of being ignorant of otakuthon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

univbee posted:

it would probably depend on where you went, at montreal university (a.k.a. montreal daigaku, a.k.a. mondai :rimshot: :japan:) most of the students were pretty well-grounded (I was definitely the main :spergin: but at least I wasn't full-on wearing cat ears adding "nya" to the end of sentences). In fact basically everyone else was pretty drat cookie-cutter university student and probably about as normal as uni students get, in my four-ish years of study there were only like 3 people tops studying japanese (myself included) whom you could remotely say were in it for the animes and/or videogames at all, most people were studying for reasons like "my steady girlfriend of a few years is japanese and I want to impress her parents" kind of poo poo

but i've definitely heard stories of japanese 101 classes being crammed full of weirds, maybe the fact that mine was at a university with a vetting process helped

it almost certainly helped

a japanese teacher in a high school would have two problems: the courseloads being chosen by teenagers who are not known for discretion, moderation, good judgment or anything else that stops people from becoming adtrw, and the fact that your class would just be half-full of people who don't give a poo poo about your subject but signed up for it because they didn't want to go to the school next door to their house

in my school that was the german class taught by wolfgang schwartz, the germanest name i've ever heard. never met anyone in one of his classes who actually cared at all about german things, which is kind of a pity because he clearly did :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

it almost certainly helped

a japanese teacher in a high school would have two problems: the courseloads being chosen by teenagers who are not known for discretion, moderation, good judgment or anything else that stops people from becoming adtrw, and the fact that your class would just be half-full of people who don't give a poo poo about your subject but signed up for it because they didn't want to go to the school next door to their house

in my school that was the german class taught by wolfgang schwartz, the germanest name i've ever heard. never met anyone in one of his classes who actually cared at all about german things, which is kind of a pity because he clearly did :smith:

yeah, to take the japanese classes at all you had to be signed up for the full-blown east-asian studies program which required you to qualify for university in the first place (e.g. you needed some level of post-secondary education completed already), and included classes on things like east-asian politics (which also included politics of other countries like korea, vietnam, china etc.), history, geography, calligraphy, a course on japanese theater (mostly focused on noh and bunraku theater), and zero anime courses. you had to be pretty loving serious about the whole "japan" thing and not just caring about whatever nickelodeon decided to air

weirdly, despite my being a pretty poo poo student, myself and two others went to japan with jobs we got through the university and i'm the only one who survived it without getting fired or kicked out of the homestay house

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

so after a good solid sixty hours installing the client PlayOnline is claiming I have the wrong password
this is what i deserve

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Liver Disaster posted:

so after a good solid sixty hours installing the client PlayOnline is claiming I have the wrong password
this is what i deserve

it is loving amazing that ffxi was as popular as it was with how much of a complete clusterfuck playonline is

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

univbee posted:

yeah, to take the japanese classes at all you had to be signed up for the full-blown east-asian studies program which required you to qualify for university in the first place (e.g. you needed some level of post-secondary education completed already), and included classes on things like east-asian politics (which also included politics of other countries like korea, vietnam, china etc.), history, geography, calligraphy, a course on japanese theater (mostly focused on noh and bunraku theater), and zero anime courses. you had to be pretty loving serious about the whole "japan" thing and not just caring about whatever nickelodeon decided to air

weirdly, despite my being a pretty poo poo student, myself and two others went to japan with jobs we got through the university and i'm the only one who survived it without getting fired or kicked out of the homestay house

that's legitimately interesting, especially considering most university programs just feel like people getting together and shoveling poo poo for four years. not a whole lot of them were exactly captivated by their chosen course of study, it was all "get b.sc get m.a. get totally unrelated job paying dollars"

i did the tourist thing in tokyo & hiroshima there 'cause the government was paying the bills and i wanted to get as far away from afghanistan and westerners as possible. i saw a lot of things, like an ad for the national noh theathre, that looked like they'd be fascinating if i had any hope of understanding or appreciating it, but not being an annoying white guy was pretty high on my to-do list so instead i just enjoyed walking around without body armour on, ate a lot of fish and grabbed some toys for the kids back home

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

yeah, i taught in japan and my older students were impressed as gently caress if i knew anything at all that wasn't anime or videogame related, especially poo poo like politics from 1960's japan and stuff like that

also if i knew classic oldies japanese songs because i'd played them in the ouendan games :ssh:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

time for updates
i can see a faint glow of blue at the start of the bar
this is exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
any good shooters in the style of Jamestown or The Blue Flamingo on Steam?

• Locked thread