Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Thanks for the Simulwatch threads Zorak, it got me to watch The Tatami Galaxy, which was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pewdiepie posted:

How long do you think the new moderator will last.

remember that scene in the live-action casper movie where it's just a montage of people running screaming from the haunted house

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

ADTRW has been boring, bland, self-hating over-moderated poo poo for the longest time. It's like Old GBS: boring rote threads for whatever is currently on the television, no humor, lots of complaining about other people's opinions like an even shittier Debate and Discussion but for children's cartoons.

Vote Vengarr for Moderator, I will allow ADTRW to grow like a forum bonsai tree: by carefully lopping off the shittiest posters while allowing the nubs to blossom into beautiful branches. I believe that a little shitposting is necessary to fertilize the great tree of discussion, so that we may enjoy the fruits of anime as free men. Thank you and god bless

I tend to feel the opposite way; I think there's too much "humor" (shitposting) and not enough real discussion.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Vengarr posted:

ADTRW has been boring, bland, self-hating over-moderated poo poo for the longest time. It's like Old GBS: boring rote threads for whatever is currently on the television, no humor, lots of complaining about other people's opinions like an even shittier Debate and Discussion but for children's cartoons.

Vote Vengarr for Moderator, I will allow ADTRW to grow like a forum bonsai tree: by carefully lopping off the shittiest posters while allowing the nubs to blossom into beautiful branches. I believe that a little shitposting is necessary to fertilize the great tree of discussion, so that we may enjoy the fruits of anime as free men. Thank you and god bless

bland rules suck it hater

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

remember that scene in the live-action casper movie where it's just a montage of people running screaming from the haunted house

I'm Guido Sarducci

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

I tend to feel the opposite way; I think there's too much "humor" (shitposting) and not enough real discussion.

I feel there's too much "Real Discussion" and not enough being chill

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Beef Waifu posted:

You have unrealistically relaxed standards Beef.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I spend my day like any other person, putting my anime on, one leg at a time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Beef Waifu posted:

I spend my day like any other person, putting my anime on, one leg at a time.

Anyone who wears pants is just not qualified to be moderator of ADTRW, in my opinion. That's just me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah for sure. Discussion is cool but lately it feels like more and more people have been quick to get legit mad about anime opinions instead of wanting to earnestly have a conversation, which is significantly less cool.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Yeah for sure. Discussion is cool but lately it feels like more and more people have been quick to get legit mad about anime opinions instead of wanting to earnestly have a conversation, which is significantly less cool.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think shitposting is the opposite of madposting; I think passive-aggressive shitposting raises the temperature sometimes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

This implies you have the ability to recognize humor one way or the other, but as has been established, you're a skin job and can do little besides hunt Sarah Conner.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm not sure how someone can say that ADTRW was "over-moderated" when Zorak himself admits that his heart hasn't been into it and that he's been focusing on real-life work for a long while now.

That still doesn't mean that posting "lol anime *fart*" in lower-case every single post is the One True Way, though.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Silver2195 posted:

There is INFINITELY too much low-effort GBS style shitposting. When I click on a thread, I'd like to see some actual coherent thoughts, and not just stream-of-conscious punctuation-less bullshit.

When I am mod, things are going to change around here. Discussion of any of the inferior Fate Zero spinoffs will be bannable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

There is INFINITELY too much low-effort GBS style shitposting. When I click on a thread, I'd like to see some actual coherent thoughts

Be the change you want to see in the forums.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Most of the threads seem pretty normal, I don't see the problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

excuse you, someone posted their thoughts on dragon ball z in lowercase. i will not stand for this fuckery

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, someone didn't use proper punctuation when typing out their thoughts. I guess this person is a loving troglodyte who doesn't contribute to discussion. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to post my College thesis on why the fascist implications of Kill La Kill are so apparent and how I am super correct about the next Attack on Titan death.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wow!! You forgot to punctuate that sentence!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though if someone's obviously poo poo posting/derailing the conversation that's one thing but I think there's room for both 'Personally, I believe Madoka's ribbons are a metaphor for the economy. If you look in episode 3, timestamp 12:37, you can see that..." and 'my fav. anime is madoka because homura has cool hair'

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

for real though if someone's obviously poo poo posting/derailing the conversation that's one thing but I think there's room for both 'Personally, I believe Madoka's ribbons are a metaphor for the economy. If you look in episode 3, timestamp 12:37, you can see that..." and 'my fav. anime is madoka because homura has cool hair'

i dont believe there is room for posts saying madoka is in any way a good anime and i want you to respect this

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh man, someone didn't use proper punctuation when typing out their thoughts. I guess this person is a loving troglodyte who doesn't contribute to discussion. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to post my College thesis on why the fascist implications of Kill La Kill are so apparent and how I am super correct about the next Attack on Titan death.
In fairness, KLK literally opened with a fascist quote, but like everything else in that trainwreck of a series, it was only there for rule of coolness. Hbomberguy was the KlK apologist, but I've never really thought that there was a great deal to discuss in that series. It's just a shittier Gurren Lagann with more rape jokes.

The low effort posts that bug me are the ones found in Season threads, which quickly became unfocussed chat. Threads for individual series are normally fine, barring Fate/Type/whatever, which is all incestuous backpatting. I'll admit we don't have anything as bad as the TVIV Korra thread!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Squidster posted:

In fairness, KLK literally opened with a fascist quote, but like everything else in that trainwreck of a series, it was only there for rule of coolness. Hbomberguy was the KlK apologist, but I've never really thought that there was a great deal to discuss in that series. It's just a shittier Gurren Lagann with more rape jokes.

The low effort posts that bug me are the ones found in Season threads, which quickly became unfocussed chat. Threads for individual series are normally fine, barring Fate/Type/whatever, which is all incestuous backpatting. I'll admit we don't have anything as bad as the TVIV Korra thread!

Haha you're still mad that people called your ideas retarded in the UBW thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am fine with incestuous backpatting which is why I made the Sword Art Online thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people can disagree with you without it being incestuous backpatting

you might have just said something dumb

i cant believe im being forced to go up to bat for the loving ubw thread

edit: and, well, I mean, the season thread is kind of for unfocused chat loosely related to the anime airing that season/news about upcoming seasons. specific discussions about the shows aren't really supposed to be there

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Since when does an anime have to "mean" something and be anything other than cool/funny/fun-to-watch??

They're cartoons.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
UBW?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrPaper posted:

Since when does an anime have to "mean" something and be anything other than cool/funny/fun-to-watch??

They're cartoons.

Anime is life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unlimited blade works, the fate/stay night anime that aired last season

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, like, is this thread the one where we hash out the grounding principles for ADTRW 2.0, like the Founding Fathers did at the Philadelphia Convention?

Who's James Madison?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

DrSunshine posted:

So, like, is this thread the one where we hash out the grounding principles for ADTRW 2.0, like the Founding Fathers did at the Philadelphia Convention?

Who's James Madison?

He's the president that declared war on Great Britain, starting the War of 1812. Hope this helps, and have a great night too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Homura's hair is not cool!

More seriously I feel bad for being down on people trying to engage in serious analysis because I think animation deserves to be treated like anything else, but then every time someone tries to be serious, I just start getting flashbacks to late 90s forum threads attempting to glean the meaning of life from NGE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Who's James Madison?

Ralp should just close ADTRW if we ever do something as dumb as this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Homura's hair is not cool!

More seriously I feel bad for being down on people trying to engage in serious analysis because I think animation deserves to be treated like anything else, but then every time someone tries to be serious, I just start getting flashbacks to late 90s forum threads attempting to glean the meaning of life from NGE.
Serious analysis can be cool the problem is there's like two people on this forum who aren't immensely terrible at it on every conceivable level

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just enjoy anime and enjoy talking about anime, you dont have to read and response to everything on a forum. real easy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Professor Clumsy for ADTRW 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AnacondaHL posted:

bland rules suck it hater

That explains the Hyouka av :smug:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's all very boring is my problem. When a new episode or chapter drops you get 10-20 one-line posts like "Wow, that was cool. I really liked it when thing happened". Then a little discussion of where this is taking the series, and then the tumbleweeds start rolling in until the next release.

If you want interesting meta-discussion, or any interesting discussion at all really, you're better off going to a different forum altogether. GBS has better threads. 4chan has better threads.

That's not really a moderation problem so much as a culture problem though. A :justpost: mentality might spark more, better, interesting threads. Or maybe just "more", which would still be a straight improvement to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4chan does not have better threads

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The weird thing is, even though WickedHate had wicked bad opinions, people actually discussed stuff with her, and so actual content was produced. I do wish her opinions had been less fatally bad, but she definitely livened up the Mahouka thread.

Not everything needs to be analyzed in meticulous detail - that sort of focus is often better used in longform blog posts and formal reviews. Certainly there are folks who crawled up their own analytical rear end in a top hat and view the world through poo poo-coloured lenses, and I don't think endless NGE-style circlejerking is the answer. I'm less interested in what does it meaaaann maaan and more in what ifs. Why did the author make this decision? What other storytelling choices could they have made? For example, Samurai Flamenco was a terrible show, but it was an interesting thread. Ditto Mahouka! A lot of bad or mediocre anime can result in good threads.

I understand that everyone finds different joys in life, but I find it frustrating when entire pages of a thread are single-line caps-less sameness. Posts of three words or less, posts with FTFY, HTH, cucking and catchphrases, these things are useless cruft that should find no hold in the promised land of Something Awful.

Vengarr posted:

It's all very boring is my problem. When a new episode or chapter drops you get 10-20 one-line posts like "Wow, that was cool. I really liked it when thing happened". Then a little discussion of where this is taking the series, and then the tumbleweeds start rolling in until the next release.
I'm probably guilty of this as well, but I definitely agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I think we should instate a new posting system, where each post accrues you "post points", which you can use to buy things on the anime forums. This would encourage less boring stale posting and create a much more engaging ever-changing posting landscape

• Locked thread