Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Pro Football Hall of Fame has announced its finalists for the class of 2015. 15 modern-era candidates were chosen out of 25 semifinalists. They are joined by three previously decided finalists to make a ballot of 18 candidates.

As usual, this is a stacked ballot and no more than seven people can go in, although they have a minimum of four inductees.

The enshrinees will be announced on Jan. 31 and the induction ceremony will take place in early August.

Here is the list of finalists, shamelessly copied from this article:

Morten Andersen, kicker (1982-2004, 2006-2007): Drafted in 1982, Andersen scored more than 90 points in each of 22 seasons and topped 100 points 14 times in his 25-year career. Andersen's best moment might have been a game-winning field goal in overtime to send the Falcons to Super Bowl XXXIII.

Jerome Bettis, running back (1993-2005): Bettis rushed for 1,000-plus yards eight times and ranked fifth all-time in career rushing yards at the time of his retirement. The running back affectionately known by fans as "The Bus" helped Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl XL title in his hometown of Detroit, Michigan, before riding off into the sunset.

Tim Brown, wide receiver (1988-2004): The 1987 Heisman Trophy winner spent all but one season in Oakland, setting multiple franchise records and finishing with the second-highest total receiving yards in NFL history at the time of his retirement. Brown was an All-Pro choice as a kick returner in 1988 and as a wide receiver in 1997, and finished with 100 receiving touchdowns.

Don Coryell, head coach (1973-77, 1978-1986): An innovator who introduced a passing system decades ahead of its time, Coryell first brought the St. Louis Cardinals out of the doldrums, going 42-27-1 in five years. The coach then installed his "Air Coryell" offense after taking over the San Diego Chargers in 1978, amassing more than 24,000 yards from 1978 to 1983 and capturing three AFC Western Division crowns from 1979 to 1981.

Terrell Davis, running back (1995-2001): Once taken as an afterthought in a crowded backfield, Davis stormed into the starting lineup and led a ground game that powered the Denver Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1997 and 1998. Davis was a three-time All-Pro selection and 1998 NFL MVP before a knee injury cut his career short. He topped the 2,000-yard plateau in 1998.

Tony Dungy, head coach (1996-2008): Dungy took over a Tampa Bay Buccaneers franchise known only for perennial failure in 1996 and ushered in a turnaround that culminated in Tampa Bay's Super Bowl XXXVII victory a year after Dungy's departure. No matter for the coach, who moved on to Indianapolis, where he won Super Bowl XLI and finished with a career regular-season record of 139-69.

Kevin Greene, defensive end/linebacker (1985-1999): A three-time All-Pro, the former Ram posted double-digit sack totals 10 times. A member of the NFL's All-Decade Team of 1990s, he currently ranks third among all-time sack leaders with 160.

Charles Haley, defensive end/linebacker (1986-1996; 1999): Haley is the only player in NFL history to play on five winning Super Bowl teams, earning rings with the Cowboys and 49ers. He has 100-plus sacks for his career.

Marvin Harrison, wide receiver (1996-2008): Teaming with Peyton Manning, Harrison posted eight consecutive 1,000-plus yard seasons with 10 or more touchdowns. A six-time All-Pro, he shattered the record for receptions in a single season with 143 in 2002. He was a member of the Colts team that won Super Bowl XLI.

Jimmy Johnson, coach (1989-1993, 1996-1999): Johnson left the college ranks to take over the downtrodden Cowboys in 1989 and lead a turnaround that included two Super bowl titles in five seasons. After leaving Dallas, Johnson returned to the league in 1996 as head coach of the Miami Dolphins, and led the team to playoff berths in his final three seasons on the sideline.

John Lynch, safety (1993-2007): Lynch was an integral member of a historically great defense that led the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl title. A four-time All-Pro, he racked up over 1,000 tackles during his 15-year career.

* Orlando Pace, offensive tackle (1997-2009): The longtime St. Louis Ram earned five All-Pro nods and led an offensive line that blocked for three straight NFL MVPs. A member of the team that won Super Bowl XXXIV, he was one of the dominant tackles of his generation.

Bill Polian, contributor (1978-1982, 1984-2011): Polian spent more than three decades helping build franchises into dominant playoff teams, resulting in five Super Bowl appearances between the Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts. Polian was also at the helm of the expansion Carolina Panthers, building a roster that made it to the NFC Championship in the franchise's second year of existence.

* Junior Seau, linebacker (1990-2009): Seau led the San Diego Chargers to their lone Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. An eight-time All-Pro, he was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1992.

Will Shields, guard (1993-2006): Shields was the definition of durability, playing 224 straight games from his rookie season until his retirement in 2006. The lineman was named first-team All-Pro three times, during which he blocked for an NFL-best scoring offense featuring running back Priest Holmes in 2002 and 2003.

Mick Tingelhoff, center (1962-1978): Signed as a free agent out of Nebraska in 1962, Tingelhoff earned the starting center position as a rookie and never relinquished it. The durable, seven-time All-NFL/All-Pro Tingelhoff anchored a Vikings offensive line that helped win 10 division titles from 1968 to 1978 and appeared in four Super Bowls. He's the lone senior finalist for the Class of 2015.

* Kurt Warner, quarterback (1998-2009): A two-time NFL MVP, Warner led the Rams to their only Super Bowl championship in franchise history. He then led the Arizona Cardinals to their lone Super Bowl appearance, totaling three Super Bowl games for the two-time All-Pro. Warner entered the league as an undrafted free agent and owns the three highest passing yardage totals in Super Bowl history.

Ron Wolf, contributor (1963-1974, 1976-2001): Starting as a scout for Oakland in 1963, Wolf made a lasting mark as player personnel director, building Raiders teams that won nine division titles and appeared in three Super Bowls. Wolf later moved on to Green Bay, where he assembled a roster that claimed three straight NFC Central division titles and won Super Bowl XXXI. He's viewed as one of the best talent evaluators in NFL history.

This thread is for all HOF discussion, Seau jokes and Polian/Dungy bitching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I want a Charles Haley HoF speech so bad it hurts.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Go Seau. Go Coryell

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Kurt Warner is already inducted into the Poise Hall of Fame

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hope Bettis gets in, but probably won't :smith:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
How the hell is Tony Dungy a hall of fame coach?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't know how an offense can be years ahead of its time. If you're installing it, it's not ahead of its time

In addition, Tony Dungy is absolute garbage

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Tony Dungy was a really good coach and has a phenomenal coaching tree underneath him, especially considering how few minorities get a shot overall.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Apology for blackballing him for like the previous two decades.

Also Bettis should never get into the HoF. He was a straight up bad running back for the majority of his career and has a ring despite blowing the one thing he was good at.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hmm. Interesting take. But have you considered that Jerome Bettis actually owns a lot

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

football fuckerman posted:

I don't know how an offense can be years ahead of its time. If you're installing it, it's not ahead of its time

It could be ahead of its time if it is installed and it doesn't work for poo poo, and then years later someone else tries it and it works great.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Is Terrell Davis really gonna get in

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I would love to see both Morten and Kurt Warner be voted in this year. Vote Kurt in, give him his jacket, then name him starter for the Cardinals next season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Is Terrell Davis really gonna get in

rings or whatever

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Terrell Davis is a scrub.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hmm. Interesting take. But have you considered that Jerome Bettis actually owns a lot
I mean I watch the clip of him bowling over Urlacher and it still owns after all these years.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Down the road people are going to say Brian Urlacher should be in the Hall of Fame and Jerome Bettis thoroughly owned him in a big time game so just do the math dummies

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
The fact that Don Coryell is not in the HOF is a drat crime.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AfterFather posted:

The fact that Don Coryell is not in the HOF is a drat crime.

I like you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Pace and Seau are in, let's get rid of some of the backlog with Tim Brown, Kevin Greene and Will Shields please.

Oh, Warner...:sigh:

e: Oh, Dungy and Polian :mad:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Jerome Bettis is fat and bad, and wouldn't even have a ring if the NFL hadn't fixed the game because Steelers fans would buy more merchandise than Seahawks fans would.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
If I were to pick 7, it would be these guys:

Morten Andersen
Tim Brown
Don Coryell
Kevin Greene
Jimmy Johnson
Kurt Warner
Orlando Pace

There are a ton of deserving guys on that list, but these are the guys I think should be inducted this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
why are there asterisks in front of pace, seau, and warner's names?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Metapod posted:

first-year eligible finalists denoted with an asterisk

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It would be pretty hosed up if the NFL didn't induct Jr Seau after it killed him

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

Pace and Warner just haven't grown a pair yet

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i'm danish so if morten makes it i'll literally die

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I swear, if Marvin doesn't make it in again...should have gotten in last year

Also, go Polian since it would make a lot of people really mad.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
This feels kind of weak classwise. Not a lot of heavy hitters/obvious choices. Nobody really jumps out at me except Seau. Honestly I think the only Shoe-in is Seau. With the questionable talents also fighting for a spot Kurt Warner might sneak it in too. Hopefully Coryell makes it as the coach, rather not have Tony Dungy in there quite yet, even if Dungy probably deserves it eventually. Or at least put Jimmy Johnson in there first. Tim brown has waited a while, let him in.

gently caress jerome bettis, Terrell Davis shouldn't make it either, he didn't last long enough. gently caress Marvin Harrison, he had all the goodwill in the world then turned out to be a possible psycho. I guess I'd be cool with Orlando Pace so we could have the 3 big lineman of the 2000's in there 3 years in a row first ballot (Ogden-Big Walt-Pace).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Febreeze posted:

This feels kind of weak classwise. Not a lot of heavy hitters/obvious choices. Nobody really jumps out at me except Seau. Honestly I think the only Shoe-in is Seau. With the questionable talents also fighting for a spot Kurt Warner might sneak it in too. Hopefully Coryell makes it as the coach, rather not have Tony Dungy in there quite yet, even if Dungy probably deserves it eventually. Or at least put Jimmy Johnson in there first. Tim brown has waited a while, let him in.

gently caress jerome bettis, Terrell Davis shouldn't make it either, he didn't last long enough. gently caress Marvin Harrison, he had all the goodwill in the world then turned out to be a possible psycho. I guess I'd be cool with Orlando Pace so we could have the 3 big lineman of the 2000's in there 3 years in a row first ballot (Ogden-Big Walt-Pace).

Pace is absolutely a shoe-in. He was every bit as important to that Rams offense as Warner or Faulk, if not more.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jimmy Johnson only achieved one thing his entire career and it was calling the Vikings GM to say "hey, so I'm actually going to cut all these dudes and get the draft pick compensation..."

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Orlando Pace doesn't get in this year considering the ballot, the writers hosed up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Jimmy Johnson only achieved one thing his entire career and it was calling the Vikings GM to say "hey, so I'm actually going to cut all these dudes and get the draft pick compensation..."

There were like a hundred different deals that came out of that deal, and he had to, ya know, actually find good players too. He turned the worst team in the league into dynasty in like three years. And was a hell of a coach who achieved the highest level of success at both the college and pro level to boot.

Remember at the time the Walker deal was viewed as a dumb move by the Cowboys by a majority of people. He completely revolutionized the draft process and the way picks are valued.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nope.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A fine and convincing argument from you as always, glad you're here.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Herschel Walker is the biggest winner of them all though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

A fine and convincing argument from you as always, glad you're here.

When Timmy B stops getting robbed, I think I'll be able to be objective again.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Herschel Walker fought dudes on television for money while he was in his mid to late 40s because why not, you're Herschel Walker that sounds like fun

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Probably all those successful years he had, as a great coach. I could see leaving him out because his head coaching record just isn't very long but he was really good.

Kalli posted:

Apology for blackballing him for like the previous two decades.

Also Bettis should never get into the HoF. He was a straight up bad running back for the majority of his career and has a ring despite blowing the one thing he was good at.
He shouldnt get in the Hall of Fame but calling him straight up bad is a ridiculous exaggeration. He was legitimately a good shortage back for the better part of decade, which is crazy longevity in runningback terms. I also don't see what your point about the ring is, lots of guys get rings when they're not at their best so it's dumb to single out Bettis for that, and I don't think it's a knock against him that he slowed down as a 33 year old RB after having the 4th most carries in NFL history. He was a big contributor to a lot of good seasons too where he didn't get a ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Kurt gets in they gotta put Donno in too

• Locked thread