Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vkeios
May 7, 2007

sometimes i like to be serious about things; but not usually when its the cartoons i pay to watch off of a website named crunchy roll. anime is just kind of really silly.

i'd be the ideal mod because i dont read most of the threads about bad anime here, i'd ban anyone who hasn't read a dowman sayman, also i saw all the madoka movies in theaters and chatted with a cute dude dressed as magical girl madoka there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

4chan does not have better threads

It does, actually. Bare minimum moderation, temporary threads, and anonymity allows for garbage and glory alike.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Endorph posted:

4chan has about a thousand lovely threads for every one good thread, but one good thread still has more content than what we get out of here.

Mostly drawing threads, but I've seen some funny poo poo and some interesting poo poo, like when the Log Horizon guy came to answer questions. ADTRW hasn't done poo poo. No poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

4chan has about a thousand lovely threads for every one good thread, but one good thread still has more content than what we get out of here.

Mostly drawing threads, but I've seen some funny poo poo and some interesting poo poo, like when the Log Horizon guy came to answer questions. ADTRW hasn't done poo poo. No poo poo.

the simulwatch threads were cool

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vengarr posted:

That explains the Hyouka av :smug:

It's all very boring is my problem. When a new episode or chapter drops you get 10-20 one-line posts like "Wow, that was cool. I really liked it when thing happened". Then a little discussion of where this is taking the series, and then the tumbleweeds start rolling in until the next release.

If you want interesting meta-discussion, or any interesting discussion at all really, you're better off going to a different forum altogether. GBS has better threads. 4chan has better threads.

That's not really a moderation problem so much as a culture problem though. A :justpost: mentality might spark more, better, interesting threads. Or maybe just "more", which would still be a straight improvement to me.

Cue 80 pages of like the same 8 people having a circlejerk in no-caps like every single GBS anime thread. How interesting! How funny!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Those /a/ threads for Nyarko written in Love craft's style were funny enough to justify that stupid series existing.

That said, an image board and a forum are not the same thing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Endorph posted:

Yeah everyone knows that it's all about the 8chans now

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Those /a/ threads for Nyarko written in Love craft's style were funny enough to justify that stupid series existing.

That said, an image board and a forum are not the same thing.

Is that archived anywhere? I need to read that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Then make an interesting/unique thread! Nobody's stopping you! For years, Zorak has been trying to do all sorts of things to prod the folks of ADTRW to make something more creative than "Show of the season" megathreads. It hasn't been too successful, and I'll grant you that, but just cranking up the post volume-o-meter is not gonna help. Okay, wow, so now instead of 5 megathreads a season there's 15, and they're all filled with people posting monkeycheese and memes over and over again. That's not progress.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Is that archived anywhere? I need to read that.

The ones from the first season at least are in adtrw's thread if you have archives.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gom's threads about Kaiji vs Joseph Jostar, and American Death Note have been ten times funnier than anything posted in this forum in years.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The ones from the first season at least are in adtrw's thread if you have archives.

Got a link to the thread?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

Cue 80 pages of like the same 8 people having a circlejerk in no-caps like every single GBS anime thread. How interesting!

I prefer low-content to no-content frankly. But I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

If someone posts something dumb you can make fun of them, whereas if they don't post at all, you have to go back to talking to your figmas.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Got a link to the thread?

Should be on the adtrwiki

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Then make an interesting/unique thread! Nobody's stopping you! For years, Zorak has been trying to do all sorts of things to prod the folks of ADTRW to make something more creative than "Show of the season" megathreads. It hasn't been too successful, and I'll grant you that, but just cranking up the post volume-o-meter is not gonna help. Okay, wow, so now instead of 5 megathreads a season there's 15, and they're all filled with people posting monkeycheese and memes over and over again. That's not progress.

Neither is bitching about other people doing it. If you want to actually make ADTRW a better place then quit holding everyone up to this arbitrary standard of good posting and actually loving make the good posts. I swear to god, for every person who bitches about the GBS posting, a lot of people seem to be quick to point the finger instead of actually setting an example.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Didn't old ADTRW make that funny rear end engrish sub of Musashi Gundoh? It was 2003s Duwang subs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

Actually I think upping the post count would definitely help. Plant lots of seeds if you want to see things grow. Bad threads fall off the front page and die, no skin off your back, good/funny ones stick around. Survival of the relatively fittest.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Vengarr posted:

I prefer low-content to no-content frankly. But I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

If someone posts something dumb you can make fun of them, whereas if they don't post at all, you have to go back to talking to your figmas.
The problem is you then end up with a wave of shitposters and people posting about shitposters. Writing an effortpost is completely disincentived if half the posts are 'anime is life' 'yay milfs' tittygif.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As opposed to the shitpost free, effortpost encouraging system in which we now live?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Encouraging effortposts is as much of a slippery slope because then ADTRW becomes this lovely droll place to post in and literally everyone must follow some lovely arbitrary standard of posting so they can say what they want about the medium for true Auteurs without being probated. There needs to be a middle, not an extreme, nor should you be holding anyone to any specific standard.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think a posting culture where low effort posts (preferably funny) and high effort Caring About Anime posts can both be made would be pretty cool, imo

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Squidster posted:

The problem is you then end up with a wave of shitposters and people posting about shitposters. Writing an effortpost is completely disincentived if half the posts are 'anime is life' 'yay milfs' tittygif.

There would be the exact same incentive to make good posts that has always existed. Absent some kind of dumb uprating system, you make good posts because you care and want to have a good discussion. You ignore the bad posts (literally, there's an ignore button if people are bothering you) and let the cream rise to the top.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

More random threads have opened up in this new mod-free utopia and from what i've seen none of the posts in them have been particularly impressive.

I don't think thread numbers are the key to finding more intelligent discussion.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i think a posting culture where low effort posts (preferably funny) and high effort Caring About Anime posts can both be made would be pretty cool, imo

Yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I care about anime a lot and I like to articulate why in multiple post sizes. Short, medium, large, and stout.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

You know we should have elections. It'd be fun! :haw:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please do not suggest that ADTRW should be like Old, or even new GBS at all, Jesus Christ.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ADTRW started going downhill when the ins anely thread finally died without replacement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

turning adtrw modship into a popularity contest is

a: dumb

and

b: would almost assuredly get us an 'fyad-lite'er. like legitimately, big anime fan here or dick spacious cpa would win that poll. that isnt a joke that is what would actually happen

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

Absolutely not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dr. Sunshine, you are a buffoon.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

Don't ever choose mediocrity.

--My prototype campaign slogan for the 2015 ADTRW elections. Please rate/review

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The worst crime anything can commit is being mediocre and thus forgettable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the problem is a lot of people feel scared to make effort posts because, uh, some people don't use their shift keys sometimes, I guess?

Just make the effort posts. The worst that happens is somebody calls you an idiot, which, we're all adults here. I think we can handle people thinking our anime opinions are dumb.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

XyloJW posted:

Absolutely not.

Hahaha! Okay!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Hahaha! Okay!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

I think the problem is a lot of people feel scared to make effort posts because, uh, some people don't use their shift keys sometimes, I guess?

Just make the effort posts. The worst that happens is somebody calls you an idiot, which, we're all adults here. I think we can handle people thinking our anime opinions are dumb.

I can't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then you'll be happy to know that

what the gently caress anime do you even like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
The most creative content to come out of this subforum was the fantranslation of Qualia the Purple, everything else is white noise, needs more ins anely anime pics.

• Locked thread