Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i wish i could sit on my rear end and get a cut every time two people exchanged money

maybe i should be a defence contractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah being a market maker is pretty much the best

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

basically his take was that from a user experience perspective qr codes are dead now that there's nfc

"now" lol

nfc was a dead end until apple glanced back at it a few months ago

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JawnV6 posted:

"now" lol

nfc was a dead end until apple glanced back at it a few months ago

nfc's that thing where you just tap your credit card on a thing and walk off?

yeah that's so dead I only used it twice today lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FrozenVent posted:

haha that's so much easier than just swiping a card

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's also the rest of the world [particularly asia] where nfc payment is used for many things

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/

What the hell is this? Why would anyone buy this? This is more useless than taptap creditcards!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

haha that's so much easier than just swiping a card

it is? cause it's faster and you don't have to sign or type your pin and poo poo, poo poo you don't even have to take the card out of your wallet unless you have multiple ones in there

I haven't swiped a card in ages, it's all chip and pin or NFC in tyool 2015, idk why the us so wants to stick to the stone age

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
nfc is more cumbersome than swiping but is also infinitely more secure so meh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the simple fact of currentc is that companies are trying to launch a qr code payment system that won't be widely deployed until probably 2016

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FrozenVent posted:

it is? cause it's faster and you don't have to sign or type your pin and poo poo, poo poo you don't even have to take the card out of your wallet unless you have multiple ones in there

I haven't swiped a card in ages, it's all chip and pin or NFC in tyool 2015, idk why the us so wants to stick to the stone age

I don't sign on the vast majority of my poo poo, I just take my card out and swipe and go.

how obese are you that taking your wallet out of your pocket is so much more difficult than taking your phone out?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I guess it's faster because you always have your phone in your hand, avoiding human interaction.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

computer parts posted:

nfc is more cumbersome than swiping

please explain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo if a reader supports nfc and u swipe a nfc card it should use the nfc instead of the swipey bit

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FrozenVent posted:

please explain

Explain how swiping is more cumbersome than using a telephone to pay.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

please explain

the tap has to be just right and it can be slow to respond that it worked

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FrozenVent posted:

i kept hearing it pitched like an alternative to btle and it's just not

toys to life is the other huge prescence

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

you dont need a telephone to tap your pnc card idgi

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol oh he's tapping a card, I thought he meant his phone.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nintendo Kid posted:

you dont need a telephone to tap your pnc card idgi

PNC stands for Pittsburgh National Corporation.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

imo if a reader supports nfc and u swipe a nfc card it should use the nfc instead of the swipey bit

rf isn't aligned for that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm talking about NFC with a credit card

Shaggar posted:

the tap has to be just right and it can be slow to respond that it worked

frequent establishment with proper pos equipment FFS wtf

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

PNC stands for Pittsburgh National Corporation.

yes, they are my bank

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes, they are my bank

They're building their new headquarters a block from my office. Congratulations on using a Pittsburgh service.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the annoying thing is they wouldn't give me a chipped card when they issued me a replacement after the home depot breach. they said they wouldn't issue one until like june.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nintendo Kid posted:

the annoying thing is they wouldn't give me a chipped card when they issued me a replacement after the home depot breach. they said they wouldn't issue one until like june.

Yeah, I dunno, I don't use PNC. They're pretty lovely lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
They have a sign made out of grass.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I for one would rather tap or even swipe before I get my i phone four s involved with paying for poo poo wtf

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

I like how the pnc is in a deformed penis

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I use Wells Fargo and they suit my needs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

I use Wells Fargo and they suit my needs

they are too big to fail criminals who launder money for cartels

so i mean if you like federally bailed-out corporations that put profits before people go to that or any other bank

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

syscall girl posted:

they are too big to fail criminals who launder money for cartels

so i mean if you like federally bailed-out corporations that put profits before people go to that or any other bank

All banks are poo poo, OP. You just get to choose what levels of poo poo are best for your needs.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i thought the credit card rfid think was dumb until i learned that it's way more secure, it's a one time code that can't be reused like magstripe data

also that currentc thing isn't backed by the credit card companies, it's the exact opposite. it's backed by all the retailers who want to avoid paying credit card fees by withdrawing money directly from your bank account

check out this guy's posts if you want the long version http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675514&userid=100577

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that guy also explains how google wallet works. it's so google.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/08/uber-well-guarantee-driver-earnings-in-every-city-where-were-cutting-prices/

quote:

In a blog post today, Uber said it will be cutting its fares this winter in 48 of its most recently added cities in order to lure more users to the service.

In the same post, the company said it will guarantee driver wages in every city where it is cutting its prices. This assurance is important, since the company has faced fierce criticism from both drivers and the media over its wage policy. Some drivers claim that lower prices have cut their take-home pay substantially.

But Uber claims that decreased fares translate into more trips and, ultimately, higher wages. In the image above, Uber seems to be arguing that, in Chicago, although fares have dropped 23 percent, average hourly bookings have gone up 12 percent.

Still, the average effect means that not everyone benefits all the time from wage changes. Indeed, I frequently hear complaints from Uber drivers in San Francisco that their wages have dramatically declined over the last year.

Uber seems to be taking this to heart.

In the past, Uber has implemented price cuts without a guarantee for drivers. However, this time around, we’re trying a new approach. We’re so confident in the earnings gains drivers will see that we’re making earnings guarantees in every city where we’re cutting prices. We feel that it is important for drivers to have this kind of certainty and comfort going into a price cut.

The sharing economy was supposed to be a buffer against the long recession. It remains to be seen whether ridesharing services can really help under-employed workers make a decent wage.

of course anyone who's paid attention to any deal uber has ever offered drivers knows to start asking questions about what exactly that "guarantee" entails, since uber always attaches conditions designed to screw the drivers

quote:

Update: Uber has given a few more details. According to an email from a spokesperson, in order to get the earnings guarantee, drivers:

“Must accept at least 90% of trips
Must average at least 1 trip/hour
Must be online for 50 minutes of every hour worked”

quote:

This time, Uber is so confident that the cuts will result in more rides taken, and therefore more money for drivers, that it’s guaranteeing driver earnings.

Here’s how: It analyzed company data to determine average driver earnings in each city during slow, normal, and busy times of the day (pre price cuts). That number varies across the country, as you might imagine. If a driver makes its app available, accepts at least one trip, and has an acceptance rate of 90 percent while its app is on, then Uber says it will automatically give the driver the average hourly rate in wages if they don’t automatically earn it.

there it is! a guarantee based on "average driver earnings" is guaranteed to screw over the full-time jitney contractors stupid enough to rely entirely on uber for income, because the averages are dragged down by casual uber drivers just doing it for fun or something, so the amount they're being guaranteed is probably significantly less than they were making before. and those casual drivers are going to be ineligible for the guarantee a lot of the time since they're not devoting several hours at a time to driving. so as usual, uber makes more money and the drivers make less

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Citizen Tayne posted:

PNCs ATMs are fee free with USAA

their ATMs are the only ones I've ever used that dispense singles :wtc:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

basically his take was that from a user experience perspective qr codes are dead now that there's nfc

does he think QR codes were ever alive?

the answer could tell you a lot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

As a Millennial I posted:

i thought the credit card rfid think was dumb until i learned that it's way more secure, it's a one time code that can't be reused like magstripe data

wait how does it actually work? i suppose the terminal sends some timestamped data to the card which signs it and sends it back? i mean it cant have too much logic in there, that requires power, so i guess i always assumed that it just sent a card id but that would be hella easy to clone

wikipedia is worthless

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

wait how does it actually work? i suppose the terminal sends some timestamped data to the card which signs it and sends it back? i mean it cant have too much logic in there, that requires power, so i guess i always assumed that it just sent a card id but that would be hella easy to clone

wikipedia is worthless

read the thread i linked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/08/uber-well-guarantee-driver-earnings-in-every-city-where-were-cutting-prices/

of course anyone who's paid attention to any deal uber has ever offered drivers knows to start asking questions about what exactly that "guarantee" entails, since uber always attaches conditions designed to screw the drivers

there it is! a guarantee based on "average driver earnings" is guaranteed to screw over the full-time jitney contractors stupid enough to rely entirely on uber for income, because the averages are dragged down by casual uber drivers just doing it for fun or something, so the amount they're being guaranteed is probably significantly less than they were making before. and those casual drivers are going to be ineligible for the guarantee a lot of the time since they're not devoting several hours at a time to driving. so as usual, uber makes more money and the drivers make less

l m a o

so the average is calculated on everybody's earnings, not just the people who would qualify for the guarantee

is this is like one of those 419 scams? they're making the guarantee so blatantly worthless that only the most gullible idiots will buy into it

• Locked thread