Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol there is no way this is going to happen

It's nice to think about. But yes. I can't fathom any way this becoming a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's nice to think about. But yes. I can't fathom any way this becoming a reality.

No it's an amazing public policy idea but so are a lot of things that get fought tooth and nail.

Medicaid expansion comes to mind.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Well, I guess some folks are uncomfortable with American Sniper, and some folks are uncomfortable with those folks.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/let-isis-rape-you-conservatives-deluge-american-sniper-critics-with-harassment-and-threats/

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

No it's an amazing public policy idea but so are a lot of things that get fought tooth and nail.

this is SA...you don't have to recognize that practical realities, politics, society, reality, the constitution, or laws of physics might prevent something, you just have to want it to happen.

seriously, though...making community colleges free to the public would probably have the collateral consequence of lowering private university tuition, there being a free alternative and all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dantu posted:

Well, I guess some folks are uncomfortable with American Sniper, and some folks are uncomfortable with those folks.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/let-isis-rape-you-conservatives-deluge-american-sniper-critics-with-harassment-and-threats/

By many accounts, Chris Kyle was a a huge prick, a liar, and a douche bag. He was also exceptional at his job and clearly carried the burden of it with him. He can still be praised for his work while acknowledging he was a deeply flawed human being.

But that line of thinking seems to be very difficult for some.

The movie is anything buy glorifying the war or him. If anything, it's a cautionary tale that something like being a Seal sniper comes with some very heavy baggage. Nothing heroic about that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I read the book and am looking forward to checking the movie out. I thought the book was great. This little blowup could be seen coming a mile away with his talk of savages and whatnot, and it seems everyone is eager to play their roles in the controversy. It's similar to GiP and DND in that way, really.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's no way they're going to make college free if we can't even get free healthcare. We live the era of shutting down the federal government because of hurt feelings.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Please post this in D&D.

EDIT: Or tweet it to Fire. He'll tard-rage all night long after that.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Dantu posted:

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2012/02/pseudo-courage-of-chris-kyle.html Best review of christ kyle ever.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow haha. Don't know what's funnier, the article or the comments. :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hahahaha that owns

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The best part about stuff like this is that a significant portion of the people who will fight it tooth and nail (or more accurately, will vote for the people who will fight it tooth and nail) are those who would benefit most from the policies in question.

holocaust bloopers posted:

By many accounts, Chris Kyle was a a huge prick, a liar, and a douche bag. He was also exceptional at his job and clearly carried the burden of it with him. He can still be praised for his work while acknowledging he was a deeply flawed human being.

But that line of thinking seems to be very difficult for some.

The movie is anything buy glorifying the war or him. If anything, it's a cautionary tale that something like being a Seal sniper comes with some very heavy baggage. Nothing heroic about that.

At least he acknowledged the burden and tried to work through it/help others with it...he's definitely deeply flawed but he's still better than Marcus Luttrell in my book (not that that's saying much.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dantu posted:

America ranks pretty high in the country rankings but all the Americans in it really handicaps it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

The best part about stuff like this is that a significant portion of the people who will fight it tooth and nail (or more accurately, will vote for the people who will fight it tooth and nail) are those who would benefit most from the policies in question.
There was some HBO thing that got posted a couple years ago where they went down to Mississippi to talk to people about why they continued to vote against their interests. Some old mostly toothless guy acknowledged that it hadn't helped him so far, "But it could!"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

iyaayas01 posted:

At least he acknowledged the burden and tried to work through it/help others with it...he's definitely deeply flawed but he's still better than Marcus Luttrell in my book (not that that's saying much.)

I gave up reading "Lone Survivor" after instance 892 of how the LIE-BERAL MEDIA was responsible for every thing that went wrong ever in Afghanistan/Iraq/The History of Man. The fact that he framed the conversation around what to do with the goatherd and his kid who discovered them as "If we do what we should, kill them, the liberal media is going to crucify us" was pretty disconcerting

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

There was some HBO thing that got posted a couple years ago where they went down to Mississippi to talk to people about why they continued to vote against their interests. Some old mostly toothless guy acknowledged that it hadn't helped him so far, "But it could!"

I can understand voting against your interests when it's for the greater good/some other altruistic reason, but in this case it's literally "I'm going to vote this way so I can keep getting hosed and the top strata of society can keep getting better-off, but at least it'll let me feel superior to them coloreds that take govt hand-outs."

maffew buildings posted:

I gave up reading "Lone Survivor" after instance 892 of how the LIE-BERAL MEDIA was responsible for every thing that went wrong ever in Afghanistan/Iraq/The History of Man. The fact that he framed the conversation around what to do with the goatherd and his kid who discovered them as "If we do what we should, kill them, the liberal media is going to crucify us" was pretty disconcerting

ROE/LOAC? What's that?

Also the whole "we voted on it" thing was pretty hilarious.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 9, 2015

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Out of curiosity, why is Luttrell a hunk of poo poo?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He has SEAL disorder

I don't know anything much about the guy past reading as much as I could in "Lone Survivor" but he just doesn't come across like the coolest dude for reasons I can't accurately pin down past my overall impression, I haven't read that book in years though. But the fact that he wrote the "What to do with the goatherd and his son" decision as coming down to "We're voting and I vote no to shooting this man and his boy in the face because the liberal media will make us war criminals" was not badical

Oh and he went on a ton about how SEALs are the baddest of the bad and if you want a mission to recon and assassinate a not cool dude in a mountainous, land locked nation done right you send the sneakiest guys in the world, a SEAL platoon specializing in operating mini-sub combat diver delivery systems. I read a third party AAR that stated his team didn't bring a back up satellite radio as well. But GWB is a Real Cool Dude, ya heard?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 9, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Intel5 posted:

Out of curiosity, why is Luttrell a hunk of poo poo?

Start reading.

Also because in addition to the poo poo in his piece of poo poo book he doubled and tripled down on it in interviews and public statements given since.

e: This post is only tangentially related to Luttrell but it's pretty hilarious.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2015

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

He has SEAL disorder

I don't know anything much about the guy past reading as much as I could in "Lone Survivor" but he just doesn't come across like the coolest dude for reasons I can't accurately pin down past my overall impression, I haven't read that book in years though. But the fact that he wrote the "What to do with the goatherd and his son" decision as coming down to "We're voting and I vote no to shooting this man and his boy in the face because the liberal media will make us war criminals" was not badical

Oh and he went on a ton about how SEALs are the baddest of the bad and if you want a mission to recon and assassinate a not cool dude in a mountainous, land locked nation done right you send the sneakiest guys in the world, a SEAL platoon specializing in operating mini-sub combat diver delivery systems. I read a third party AAR that stated his team didn't bring a back up satellite radio as well. But GWB is a Real Cool Dude, ya heard?

I had a really uncomfortable feeling while reading the book like I thought he was a total douche and things felt really off but I still cannot put why into words.

I also thought his Jesse Ventura rant about taking money from a widow and other poo poo was pretty good, it shows a Fox News attention to detail and the truth.

All the Trident guys Ive worked with have always been real chill, mellow, genuine people (except like 1 who was a little warrior hero crazy) and seemed smart enough to avoid most of the ideological traps and deal in nuance.

VVVVVVVV Good point. The only problem I have with the SEALs Ive met is having to compete with them for food and the hot sauce. The Third mate was making fun of the guys who OD'd on the Alabama but they laughed and said they were just pissed those guys ruined it for the rest of them.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 9, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

lightpole posted:

All the Trident guys Ive worked with have always been real chill, mellow, genuine people (except like 1 who was a little warrior hero crazy) and seemed smart enough to avoid most of the ideological traps and deal in nuance.
The chill, mellow ones rarely shop around their autobiography looking for a book deal.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Well, if being a self-aggrandizing twat disqualified you from service -something something- officers -something something-

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Kinda reminds me of the barrage of lovely-or-quasi-lovely books released by ex-SAS during the 90s.

In other news, looks like the French police have cornered the Fratelli Brothers in some shithole village north of Paris. They apparently have a hostage. All that remains now is: who gets to make the kills, GIGN or RAID? Gentlemen, place your bets.

e: it's gonna be the GIGN this time. Let's pray for some choice footage :flashfap:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GIGN gonna gently caress some poo poo up

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They're holed up in a print shop. I somewhat appreciate the irony.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

YES YESSSSSSSSS

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If these idiots think taking hostage will stop the French from storming the place and killing everyone they don't know the French.

The French don't really practice hostage rescue as much as they train for "annihilate the bad guys and try not to hit any hostages I guess but if it happens it happens"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I have to say that the french all black uniforms I see in the news look much more stylish on police than the camo uniforms you usually see on american police in similar situations.

Just look at this dude

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 9, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

ok let me put it another way - let's say a caliphate spent the last couple centuries dehumanizing, murdering and colonizing white societies. out the "goodness of their hearts" (read: need for cheap labor) they let you live in one of their major cities in an ethnic slum. i highly doubt any of you would adopt the same sanctimony regarding their right to spread propaganda furthering this aim if you were on the receiving end of it. loving liberals

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Syncopated posted:

I have to say that the french all black uniforms I see in the news look much more stylish on police than the camo uniforms you usually see on american police in similar situations.

Just look at this dude

There was what looks like an AMX 10 (I think) behind that dude:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

:vince:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Just look at this dude

The GIPN look pretty cool with their monochrome camo too.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Syncopated posted:

Just look at this dude

I got no real input on the uniforms. Just want to say this dude is going to straight up murder a rag head. Sanctioned or not.

Dude isn't fuckin around.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

If these idiots think taking hostage will stop the French from storming the place and killing everyone they don't know the French.

The French don't really practice hostage rescue as much as they train for "annihilate the bad guys and try not to hit any hostages I guess but if it happens it happens"

The GIGN aren't all that strange to the idea of getting the job done while still having wrists to cuff with a pulse in them. Which I guess is kinda cool in a "counting coup from horseback" kind of way.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Behind all the 'merrikin dickwaving about them surrendering cheese monkeys is the fact that French cops generally are hard as nails and mean as rain on Christmas. Mostly cool guys but not with-fuckable.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Looks like they're not messing around

https://twitter.com/TelegraphPics/status/553500238246608896/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I worked with Luttrell's brother. He was pretty cool.

Luttrell got a pass from the community for his book because pretty much all the proceeds went to SEAL charities, but the "Man who Killed Bin Laden"(TM) is personna non-gratis.

quiet professional and all that jazz.

• Locked thread