Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have never seen Ibram Gaunt post about a non-JoJo or Fate anime in ADTRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

DrSunshine posted:

However, instead of that utopia, what we'll get is both low-effort unfunny posts and high-effort unfunny Caring About Anime posts.

If it's a choice between that, and just sometimes-funny mediocre-effort Mildly Caring About Anime posts, I'd choose the mediocre world any day.

Okay, okay, it's a leeeeeeeetle bit milquetoast of me, I admit, but I registered on SA during the time when moderation was a bit stricter than it is now, when GBS was still mostly-serious discussion about weird news and strange hobbies, and photo editing threads, and that's just the standard I've become used to. Call me a :ohdear: pansy, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable if ADTRW were led by someone who leans strongly FYAD-lite.

You know we should have elections. It'd be fun! :haw:
The glory years, yes, before the dark days of New GBS that gave free license to FYAD to steamroll any discussion. I tend to prefer stricter moderation and a higher minimum level of posting. GBS is a complete wasteland of unfunny ironic racism.

I agree we should have a happy medium of low-effort/high-effort, but I feel like the current balance very heavily leans towards towards the low-effort side of the scale.

EDIT: I appreciate your posts in BSS, trying to suggest books and provoke actual posting. You're alright.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I posted about Parasyte, once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I posted about Parasyte, once.

The Man That Couldn't Be Owned

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hard to own someone who enjoys good things, true.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watch like one anime every two seasons, my bad opinions are all in the Megami Tensei Megathread.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Squidster posted:

I agree we should have a happy medium of low-effort/high-effort, but I feel like the current balance very heavily leans towards towards the low-effort side of the scale.

Zorak posted:

I'm sure some of y'all have noticed how little I've been around as of late.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Squidster posted:

EDIT: I appreciate your posts in BSS, trying to suggest books and provoke actual posting. You're alright.

W-wait, I think you're mistaking me for someone else! I don't post in BSS!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol what current balance dude the big rear end megathreads are still there they are just sharing space with the funny g0m threads and the two music threads. People are posting the same way they did when Zorak was around it just happens that without him new people are making a try.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I watch like one anime every two seasons, my bad opinions are all in the Megami Tensei Megathread.

None of your opinions about Megaten are bad, because everyone in that thread's opinions about Megaten are worse.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
alright let's get out of this bad posting spiral my adtrw friends, in memory of our late great leader who was right in saying that posting about posting sucks. instead, let us put our thinking caps on and ask what we can do for our forum.

i have posted threads before for shows, and also for other things: mahjong and voice actors. i know a lot about those two things and i thought adtrw might like a thread about them. some people did! i'm sure you also have anime things you know a lot about that other people don't. we should all make threads about these things and share our love of anime with each other :japan:

i literally had to add a disclaimer to the railgun s thread warning people about middle school fanservice and that thread turned out alright, so share your love, friends

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been meaning to make a new voice actor thread for a while and update trivia in the JoJo thread, but my ADD riddled brain makes these things hard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DrS makes fanart for the touhou thread, cool, but him trying to lord over people and tell them how to make content is petulant as heck.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Lol what current balance dude the big rear end megathreads are still there they are just sharing space with the funny g0m threads and the two music threads. People are posting the same way they did when Zorak was around it just happens that without him new people are making a try.

And 4 or so threads gassed in the last day.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Outer Science posted:

alright let's get out of this bad posting spiral my adtrw friends, in memory of our late great leader who was right in saying that posting about posting sucks. instead, let us put our thinking caps on and ask what we can do for our forum.

i have posted threads before for shows, and also for other things: mahjong and voice actors. i know a lot about those two things and i thought adtrw might like a thread about them. some people did! i'm sure you also have anime things you know a lot about that other people don't. we should all make threads about these things and share our love of anime with each other :japan:

i literally had to add a disclaimer to the railgun s thread warning people about middle school fanservice and that thread turned out alright, so share your love, friends

Do you have a link to the Mahjong thread? Because that sounds legitimately interesting.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Do you have a link to the Mahjong thread? Because that sounds legitimately interesting.

you'll need archives for both of them: my first thread was more about mahjong anime and the second one doubled as the saki thread but has more info on the game.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Wait, WickedHate is a woman?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

Wait, WickedHate is a woman?
wickedhate was a woman. now she's a banned.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also people complaining that threads are kind of dry husks until new chapters/episodes come out need to be thankful for that because the threads for stuff that are constantly active are usually insanely bad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrS makes fanart for the touhou thread, cool, but him trying to lord over people and tell them how to make content is petulant as heck.

I hardly think that complaining about shitposting in a non-shitposting forum is "lording over people". :colbert:

It's ineffectual whining! :suicide:

Anyways, I can only really claim the following:

- The Surreal Daily Life Manga thread
- Battle Angel Alita thread

(And I suppose Yankee Kun & Megane Chan, but it's wayyyy archived now)

... Come to think of it, those were just manga megathreads, huh? Well, not being someone who watches all that many anime shows, I can't really claim to be able to contribute much on that front. But I'm handy with a pen and paper, so maybe I can chip in some kind of art-related thread? A manga art appreciation thread? I'll try to think of something!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also people complaining that threads are kind of dry husks until new chapters/episodes come out need to be thankful for that because the threads for stuff that are constantly active are usually insanely bad.

Kill La Kill is the worst thread this forum has had in the past few years and that's pretty drat astounding.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Outer Science posted:

you'll need archives for both of them: my first thread was more about mahjong anime and the second one doubled as the saki thread but has more info on the game.

Thanks. :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Kill La Kill is the worst thread this forum has had in the past few years and that's pretty drat astounding.
Depending on your perspective, it's actually the best.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd rather have a dozen Fukomoto (RIP) megathreads where one chapter is posted every 2 months then another KLK one.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Beef Waifu posted:

Makes me wonder if Yuri Kuma Arashi can top it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Depending on your perspective, it's actually the best.

Endorph, I love you and everything terrible in this world... but no.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm never quite certain if it's worth replying to Plutonis, on the grounds that he'll probably be probated by the time I hit post.

DrSunshine posted:

W-wait, I think you're mistaking me for someone else! I don't post in BSS!
I'm sorry, I was actually thinking of Captain Invictus. You're still cool.

Beef, I appreciate that you actually do make effortposts and launch threads. I disagree with you often, but when you bring your a-game it's good. FSN still blows tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will blow you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait a minute...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

I'm never quite certain if it's worth replying to Plutonis, on the grounds that he'll probably be probated by the time I hit post.

I'm sorry, I was actually thinking of Captain Invictus. You're still cool.

How about you answer the post i made at you saying that there's a new balance here, bitch boy.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Squidster posted:

The glory years, yes, before the dark days of New GBS that gave free license to FYAD to steamroll any discussion. I tend to prefer stricter moderation and a higher minimum level of posting. GBS is a complete wasteland of unfunny ironic racism.

Not to steer the conversation too much, but New GBS has resulted in roughly 150 goldmined threads in the past year.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those Atma threads were amazing.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Not to steer the conversation too much, but New GBS has resulted in roughly 150 goldmined threads in the past year.
It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squidster posted:

It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.

I'm in love with your vocabulary!

quote:

I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth.

Look at this sentence! Fantastic!! :swoon:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's good to be able to post your opinions without fearing you'll get a 3 day for not using proper punctuation or following some rigid posting guidelines in the name of "quality"

actually I'm pretty sure Beef Waifu already made this point, oops.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, since I know ADTRW is different than GBS, in direction and size, but to compare apples to apples on quality terms, 2012 GBS goldmined about 30 threads and 2013 GBS goldmined about 30. 2014 GBS goldmined 150. People describing the lack of capitalization as the death of effort and quality seems really strange to me.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Something Awful Forums > Main › GBS - sincerity is the only shibboleth

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Old gibbis never produced any content worth a poo poo, this website's mission has always been to be funny, that's it. If you want substantial content or achievement of any other kind I suggest you get up from the computer and venture out into the real world and get a job or a hobby or something

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

XyloJW posted:

Goldmined by the kind of people who self-select to post in New GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goldmined by the kind of people who self-select to post in New GBS.

Normal...people?

• Locked thread