Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Has anyone mentioned C-3PX, the bounty hunter version of C-3PO that Darth Maul created?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
omfg lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

just when i think we mocked all the things someone reminds me there's more things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Joementum posted:

Has anyone mentioned C-3PX, the bounty hunter version of C-3PO that Darth Maul created?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
*sha bam!*

*waddle waddle waddle*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tarkin looks like a man who wears a healthy amount of brut

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hahahah tarkins stench hahahah

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Return of the Jedi is awesome and anyone who doesn't like it is an rear end in a top hat.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah return of the jedi fuckin owns

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

Making an assassin out of a translator droid is a good idea if you're trying to kill a diplomat or something, although it's probably smarter to just stick a bomb in it instead.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i would play along with my micro machine action fleet toys to rotj and it was the best.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joementum posted:

Only if it runs around all prissy as hell while shooting people.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

beanieson posted:

Kotor still owns btw, I ressurected a long dormant steam account & $6 later I'm living it up on tattoine hunting krayt dragons:snoop:

I tried running KOTOR 1 but it's got this terrible graphics glitch that I haven't been able to solve, non moving textures like floors and walls just go insane.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
supermechagodzilla

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

quote:

"Jaxxon. You can call me Jax for short…which I ain't."
―Jaxxon[src]
Jaxxon was a quick-witted Lepi smuggler from Coachelle Prime. The most rambunctious of his family's thirteen children, he left his homeworld at an early age, after stealing an unprotected freighter. He made his way to Nar Shaddaa, where he began to perform odd jobs, quickly becoming familiar with the important elements of fringe culture. After a short stint as a mercenary, he decided to try his hand at smuggling, and he bought a WUD-500 star yacht, christening it the Rabbit's Foot. However, the starship was fraught with mechanical problems and he was forced to land at the shady spaceport of Aduba-3. Needing to acquire funds in order to make repairs, he accepted a job from Han Solo, and became part of the Star-Hoppers of Aduba-3, a mercenary force tasked with defending the small village of Onacra. After protecting the community from Cloud-Riders, the group was forced to fight off the Behemoth from the World Below. Due to Solo's efforts, the giant monster was killed, and Jaxxon was able to get the money needed to repair his ship.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
wtf book is that from

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
star fox wars

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Keldroc posted:

Unless the plan goes wrong exactly how it goes wrong, Artoo's placement and possession of the saber makes no sense, and Luke's involvement in the plan is sketchy as hell. It's all just an excuse to get the gang back together and have the action scene at the sarlacc, of course, which is a fun scene but still thoughtless writing.

From all the docos and behind-the-scenes specials I've seen it's pretty clear that once the cameras start rolling the scriptwriters usually get shoved to the side and ignored as much as possible. The film now belongs to the director and he can make all the changes he feels like and if the scriptwriter is hanging around pointing out that things don't make sense then that's just going to start arguments and waste time & money and piss everyone off so they'll maybe be able to visit the set a few times and hang out in the background if they're lucky. If the studio decides that films with an action sequence at the 12 minute mark track better with audiences then someone better start shooting at someone else at 11.55. If the guys in finance decide that it'll be cheaper to film in Tunisia than in Florida then all the swamp scenes suddenly get changed to desert scenes. If the editor decides that the middle third is too slow then that scene where they explain the maguffin (and thus the entire plot) gets replaced with a wacky fart joke. If actor X's current TV series suddenly gets huge ratings then his cameo appearance will be expanded to 15 scenes, or if he gets drunk and posts an angry tweet about the director his character will be cut entirely. If an A-list movie star feels their character works better with a Russian accent and a limp then they usually get their way. If the scriptwriter isn't cool with adding all these changes to the script then it's super easy to replace them with another writer who can follow orders. Sometimes the studio will hire a director who has his own favourite scriptwriters so the original guy will be kicked out straight away and the script he poured his heart and soul into will be completely rewritten. Sometimes the studio will hire one director and spend a year or so prepping a film but then for some reason they hire a new director who wants to take the film in a totally different direction but they've already spent X million dollars on pre-production so the new writers have to figure out how to fit a bunch of scenes from the old script into the new script. Sometimes marketing discovers that test audiences don't like the ending so the studio will insist that it be rewritten.

Basically that one guy who put a bunch of words onto some pages 5 years ago was the only one who was primarily concerned about everything making sense and almost everyone who touched the project after that was WAY more concerned that everything looked cool and would sell a bunch of tickets.

I'm surprised that Hollywood films end up making any sense at all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

[Scene: Academy Awards. Backstage, Bender peeps through a curtain.]
Zoidberg: What category are they on?
Bender: They're giving out the minor technical awards. I think they're up to writing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
[after Obi-Wan injures Zam inside the Night Club, Anakin and Obi-Wan drag her out into the alley to interrogate her]
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Do you know who it was you were trying to kill?
Zam Wesell: It was a Senator from Naboo.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: And who hired you?
Zam Wesell: It was just a job.
Anakin Skywalker: Who hired you? Tell us.
[Zam stays silent; Anakin raises his tone with anger]
Anakin Skywalker: Tell us now!
Zam Wesell: It was a bounty hunter called...
[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

From all the docos and behind-the-scenes specials I've seen it's pretty clear that once the cameras start rolling the scriptwriters usually get shoved to the side and ignored as much as possible. The film now belongs to the director and he can make all the changes he feels like and if the scriptwriter is hanging around pointing out that things don't make sense then that's just going to start arguments and waste time & money and piss everyone off so they'll maybe be able to visit the set a few times and hang out in the background if they're lucky. If the studio decides that films with an action sequence at the 12 minute mark track better with audiences then someone better start shooting at someone else at 11.55. If the guys in finance decide that it'll be cheaper to film in Tunisia than in Florida then all the swamp scenes suddenly get changed to desert scenes. If the editor decides that the middle third is too slow then that scene where they explain the maguffin (and thus the entire plot) gets replaced with a wacky fart joke. If actor X's current TV series suddenly gets huge ratings then his cameo appearance will be expanded to 15 scenes, or if he gets drunk and posts an angry tweet about the director his character will be cut entirely. If an A-list movie star feels their character works better with a Russian accent and a limp then they usually get their way. If the scriptwriter isn't cool with adding all these changes to the script then it's super easy to replace them with another writer who can follow orders. Sometimes the studio will hire a director who has his own favourite scriptwriters so the original guy will be kicked out straight away and the script he poured his heart and soul into will be completely rewritten. Sometimes the studio will hire one director and spend a year or so prepping a film but then for some reason they hire a new director who wants to take the film in a totally different direction but they've already spent X million dollars on pre-production so the new writers have to figure out how to fit a bunch of scenes from the old script into the new script. Sometimes marketing discovers that test audiences don't like the ending so the studio will insist that it be rewritten.

Basically that one guy who put a bunch of words onto some pages 5 years ago was the only one who was primarily concerned about everything making sense and almost everyone who touched the project after that was WAY more concerned that everything looked cool and would sell a bunch of tickets.

what about penetration?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fetus Tree posted:

wtf book is that from

He's originally from the 1970s Marvel comics:

Note that he was apparently inspired by Bugs Bunny and appeared 7 years before Bucky O'Hare, that other green gun-toting spacefaring rabbit.

quote:

After his appearance in the Marvel story arc, Jaxxon went unreferenced for over twenty years. He was brought out of obscurity in the 2001 Star Wars Gamer 4 article The Starhoppers of Aduba-3, by Pablo Hidalgo, Cory J. Herndon, and Michael Mikaelian. This article gave background information on Jaxxon and his species, as well as summarizing his actions in the Marvel run. Akin to the creators of Jaxxon, Hidalgo drew inspiration from Bugs Bunny in his choice of Coachelle as Jaxxon's homeworld. In the 1953 short "Bully for Bugs," Bugs asks, "Excuse me, can you direct me to the Coachella Valley and the Giant Carrot Festival…therein?" Hidalgo carefully mirrored this sentence during the article, also ending his in "therein." Additionally, Hidalgo drew references to another Looney Tunes short, "What's Up Doc?," when mentioning Jaxxon's former mercenary group, the Boys of Corus. These references to Bugs Bunny were not without precedent, as Goodwin also played up this relationship in Star Wars 16: The Hunter, naming two bounty hunters that were trying to capture Jaxxon as Dafi and Fud. These names were references to the Looney Tunes characters Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd, who were constantly trying to capture Bugs.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 9, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Do Sith ever make deals with the Jedi/Good Guy forces to further their own goals, by acting as an informant or something. Their philosophy says power is the most important thing, so that should mean team loyalty could take a back seat, right?

Or does this break the "no moral ambiguity allowed" rule.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They don't. They're invariably an incoherent mess.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that crossguard is a spastic detail

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

burritolingus posted:

Making an assassin out of a translator droid is a good idea if you're trying to kill a diplomat or something, although it's probably smarter to just stick a bomb in it instead.

Stick a bomb inside it and add a few lines of code to it's programming or whatever. When distance from target < 10 meters = blow poo poo up

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Return of the Jedi is awesome and anyone who doesn't like it is an rear end in a top hat.

Acknowledging that it's incredibly flawed and very prequel-ish in its structure and writing isn't the same as not liking it. It's most certainly not "awesome" except in specific places, though. It contains the god tier chorus music cue when Luke makes his final assault on Vader, but it also contains the belching frog, who is also apparently an assassin or something.

And really the horrible handling of Han Solo's character is unforgivable. I realize Ford didn't want to do it anymore, but there's just no effort whatsoever going on there.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Keldroc posted:

Acknowledging that it's incredibly flawed and very prequel-ish in its structure and writing isn't the same as not liking it. It's most certainly not "awesome" except in specific places, though. It contains the god tier chorus music cue when Luke makes his final assault on Vader, but it also contains the belching frog, who is also apparently an assassin or something.

And really the horrible handling of Han Solo's character is unforgivable. I realize Ford didn't want to do it anymore, but there's just no effort whatsoever going on there.

Lol hahah

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Joementum posted:

If this guy still has C3P0's voice and mobility issues is very much like to see this happen in the new movie

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

SaltLick posted:

i would play along with my micro machine action fleet toys to rotj and it was the best.

That poo poo owned a lot. I had the suitcase shaped hoth playset from the action fleet series, along with the remote controlled AT-AT walker and several other versions of the AT-AT and scout walkers. The battle felt like it took forever. I miss being a kid.

*Edit* Here we go

I also had the death star playset. Just look how loving awesome this poo poo was.

Hingehead fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 9, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I would say Jedi is the first sign of incompetence in the mainline films. Almost none of it makes sense, tons of it is a retread of the first movie, the Leia-is-your-sister thing is dragged in from nowhere and isn't remotely believable, the film has no idea what to do with Han Solo throughout, the Luke/Leia treehouse scene is easily as cringe-inducing as any scene in the prequels...it's really pretty terrible aside from the space battle and the Luke/Vader/Emperor story thread.

Even the initial setup makes no sense, when you think about it. Clearly Leia wasn't supposed to be captured in her attempt to get Han out of Jabba's palace, so Luke has to go in after her when she never shows up to their rendezvous. But then what was the plan? It almost makes sense but not quite. You've got Lando embedded, which gives you intel from the inside, which lets you know that Jabba has melted down his translator droid. So you send Threepio and Artoo in because you need a translator droid in place for Leia to pull the Boushh thing, and Threepio would never agree to the plan so you put the message to Jabba in Artoo. So then Leia goes in as Boushh, with Chewie as her entry pass because Jabba has beef with Chewie as well as Han. So now the plan is that Leia will thaw Han out and drag his blind rear end out of the palace somehow unseen? Why not move the whole block out, since it apparently has repulsors on it for moving it around? At any rate, let's say Jabba was none the wiser, and Leia drags Han out of the palace and they get away. Now presumably Lando can get Chewie out of the prison, but who gets the droids? How do you extract Artoo from his servant role, and on top of of that, Threepio from his position directly next to Jabba himself? Does Luke just go in and mind trick them? Does he go in and slaughter them? Clearly Luke is ready for a fight given how quickly he Force pulls someone's blaster out when negotiations go wrong. But then why stick the lightsaber in Artoo, especially when you have no idea where Artoo will be?

Unless the plan goes wrong exactly how it goes wrong, Artoo's placement and possession of the saber makes no sense, and Luke's involvement in the plan is sketchy as hell. It's all just an excuse to get the gang back together and have the action scene at the sarlacc, of course, which is a fun scene but still thoughtless writing. And then of course the rest of the film is about the totally unbelievable and unearned sister thing, because "No, there is another" was meant to be a hook for Episodes 7-9 but then Lucas decided not to do them so they had to come up with something and that something was Leia being a Skywalker, which doesn't even make partial sense considering Obi-Wan apparently didn't know about her in ESB because otherwise why did Yoda have to tell him there was another? Plus another Death Star, because nobody could be arsed to come up with a new superweapon, which is pretty funny considering that's almost a full time job in the EU.

Basically, RotJ has many of the same flaws that make the prequels so bad, and if we'd looked at RotJ honestly beforehand, Episode 1 really shouldn't have surprised us at all. Empire is not just the best of the Star Wars films, it's the weird Star Wars film because it's so good.

Agreed 100%. All the so called flaws in the PT first appeared in ROTJ, and of course in the subsequent "Special Editions". So, much like the idea of the Borg in Star Trek (who were in fact only truly cool for their first couple of appearances and then quickly got ruined), George had already succumbed to madness back in the early 80's. We should take the Prequels as the work of a man who's gone crazy some time ago, and not merely in 1999. Your childhood was raped before you were born.

Also, as an answer to the details your provide above, like anything and everything in Star Wars that doesn't make sense, the answer is: The Force. And it works within the movies. For example, say Luke has a vision of Jabba's yacht exploding and everyone on it dying and all his friends getting away safely. He may not know exactly how that's gonna happen, but he knows its going to happen, so he just comes up with some half-assed plan and goes for it, trusting in the Force that it will all work out as he's foreseen.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

this is the truth, brother

Hingehead posted:

That poo poo owned a lot. I had the suitcase shaped hoth playset from the action fleet series, along with the remote controlled AT-AT walker and several other versions of the AT-AT and scout walkers. The battle felt like it took forever. I miss being a kid.

*Edit* Here we go

I also had the death star playset. Just look how loving awesome this poo poo was.

Action fleet toys were the #1 coolest Star Wars toys ever and they're the only ones I'm not selling

I never had hoth, but I had the death star. Had most of the ships too, even the really rare ones like the TIE Defender, E-Wing and StarViper.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, new movie needs a protocol droid who's comic relief for half the movie but then turns out to be a double agent suicide bomber at the end of the second act.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

They're back. People defending EU. Cringe.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

5er posted:

They're back. People defending EU. Cringe.

Still the best star wars thread on sa

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

Still the best star wars thread on sa

Unironically yes

I love asking strange questions, because the answer is always yes

Does Luke Skywalker ever have an evil twin who has an evil beard?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ElGroucho posted:

Unironically yes

I love asking strange questions, because the answer is always yes

Does Luke Skywalker ever have an evil twin who has an evil beard?

there is luuke

not sure if he has a beeaard

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
he has a beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol