Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goldmined by the kind of people who self-select to post in New GBS.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's goldmined by the people who moderate the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think going 'make funny' is kind of dumb. Like, yeah, that was SA's mission statement at the start, but the forum has evolved. If the only job was to be funny, then there'd only be one giant forum where we all talked about robes looking like dishrags. Obviously, if forums for specific topics exist, then discussion about those topics is expected. You can make sincere points, or you can make jokes. I think both are valid, and can coexist hand-in-hand - maybe if people empty quoted effort posts with 'lol gay,' this weird argument about them not fitting together would make sense, but I've never seen that happen. I've seen people disagree with effort posts, but that's called discussion, not trolling.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goldmined by the kind of people who self-select to post in New GBS.

Posters don't goldmine threads, mods/admins do, and the same guy has been handling most of the goldmine selections for the last 5 years--Garbage Day. If you mean voting, I guarantee you, we don't check a thread's rating before we decide if it's actually good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Beef Waifu posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's goldmined by the people who moderate the forums.

I've never been entirely clear on the relationship between thread ratings and goldmining, but then again, I'm not entirely clear on whether you're actually contradicting me here or not either.

XyloJW posted:

If you mean voting, I guarantee you, we don't check a thread's rating before we decide if it's actually good.

Oh, cool. A small portion of my faith in the forums is restored.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm mostly sandbagging your post because it's stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm mostly sandbagging your post because it's stupid.

GBS is stupid, new or old. My posts are a pillar of the community.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stop

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My only point is that to me there seems to be a pervasive impression that proper punctuation and grammar are directly linked with quality posting, when I think they're not actually related in any way, positively or negatively.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

XyloJW posted:

My only point is that to me there seems to be a pervasive impression that proper punctuation and grammar are directly linked with quality posting, when I think they're not actually related in any way, positively or negatively.

I'd say they're the least important but most easily identified part of a larger disagreement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Compendium posted:

Makes me wonder if Yuri Kuma Arashi can top it.

We can only hope.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Excellent Gibbis discussion in the ADTRW thread. Gas.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Whoever the new mod is can make up their own mind on this subject, I'm not laying down a mandate that this will be the New ADTRW, I'm just offering my opinions in this discussion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am probating all anime discussion and this is going to become the official Crocheting part of the Something Awful forums.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I am probating all anime discussion and this is going to become the official Crocheting part of the Something Awful forums.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My plans for a crocheting/knitting rotating subforum (Darn You and Dye) are top secret, Beef Waifu.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Amigurumi Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

XyloJW posted:

My plans for a crocheting/knitting rotating subforum (Darn You and Dye) are top secret, Beef Waifu.

Whoops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

Amigurumi Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse
actually, it doesn't mean that anymore... 'rape whorehouse' is way too, uh, skeevy... now the abbreviation means... uhm... well...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was 'Warehouse' for the longest time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Animated Displays Truly Rule Worlds

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Buy More Figurines Of Saber

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BILLG (Bitch I Look Like Goku)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Real talk, I crochet and made my own Totoro.

Still needs eyes though.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Or Amigurumi Darling Twee Ribbon Wishes.

That sounds sufficiently pedophillac for a now crochet, formerly anime forum, catering to both ikemen and moe tastes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Back Fate Zero discussion, rename subforum Animal's Den, a Fate Stay Night fansite.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Endorph posted:

actually, it doesn't mean that anymore... 'rape whorehouse' is way too, uh, skeevy... now the abbreviation means... uhm... well...

Animated drawings to replace women...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's just crazy enough to work.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
People who actively fear and discuss alternate posting styles in detail are weird.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks for being a decent mod, Zorak. Hope your successor is decent, too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

poo poo. New forum title right there.

Honestly, I don't mind what the new moderation becomes like as long as we don't end up allowing people who ask if Magical Girl liches can become pregnant anywhere near.

loving hell.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think it really matters how you post. You can be black, white, purple, or colorless. You can post smart, you can post dumb, you can avoid posting entirely!

What matters, my friends, is how you feel about anime in your heart.:allears:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Yo real talk I'm salty that they banned the guy with the big anime boob videogame thread instead of just moving it here. They shoulnd't have done him like that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Yo real talk I'm salty that they banned the guy with the big anime boob videogame thread instead of just moving it here. They shoulnd't have done him like that

same

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Yeah, I agree. Ralp shot first.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The most hosed up part is he even said he would have removed the sexy official art if asked.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For what it's worth, there's still tons of discussion of the titty ninja games in the PS Vita thread. Just no sexy official art :smith:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mordaedil posted:

poo poo. New forum title right there.

It's always been that.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

chaos rhames posted:

It's always been that.

You mean aside from the years it was Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse, or the interregnum where it was a meaningless initialism? Or am I falling for some kind of Orwell gimmick?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

You mean aside from the years it was Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse, or the interregnum where it was a meaningless initialism? Or am I falling for some kind of Orwell gimmick?

Maybe the changes just predate his account. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Can't we split the forum into the normally moderated one and the FYAD-like one like other dedicated discussion forums have? Only the FYAD-like should be the main one, and the normal one should be the subforum with all it's three threads that deserve serious discussion.

• Locked thread