Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Someone mentioned the A/T Thread about the 'Professional Thief' but good lord it is breathtaking

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

For me the higlight so far has been his response to the question "How do you view normal shoppers?"

LeoMarr posted:

They're just cattle fueling the machine. I don't mean to sound anarchistic at all because I honestly don't care about people who buy poo poo normally sometimes. I mean, when you are in line wherever, do you every think about just walking out the door? when I was actually paying for poo poo I'd think about "I could pay $100 for this poo poo or I could just walk out"

They live their very closet lives of working and buying things they want. People from an early age are taught to be honest and that the "bad man" will come get them and to stand before authority. This is why uniforms scare people. It's an authority figure. Now I don't have a problem with authority, I actually like Police Officers and support their mission etc etc. Normal people are just that, normal. They as I said before live a bland life because they've been groomed to do so. Go to school, work your job, have kids (or not) and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Someone mentioned the A/T Thread about the 'Professional Thief' but good lord it is breathtaking

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

For me the higlight so far has been his response to the question "How do you view normal shoppers?"

I would be willing to put down money that this person envisions themselves as Tyler Durden in their head.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

What, you mean the story about the petty thief who has a fence waltz in every couple of months and hand over $30k in cash to buy a pile of stolen goods at near manufacturer wholesale prices, which he then funnels into profitably day trading stocks, might not be entirely true?! Say it ain't so! :monocle:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Paladinus posted:

This story actually reminds me of that completely real mentally ill person. Lena Kochman. She's literally paranoid and thinks evil patriarchy is out there to get her wherever she goes outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl68KipxeM

He's probably seen one of her videos and decided to make this STDH. Or he's actually met her or someone crazy just like her. Either way, the story sounds mildly plausible if only because he didn't own her with some hard MRA truths to be applauded by other customers.

Nckdictator posted:

Well, at least she's somewhere she can get help.

Goodness loving gracious :stare:

Double Plus Good posted:

I would be willing to put down money that this person envisions themselves as Tyler Durden in their head.

Fight Club was a satire god damnit :suicide:

The movie hosed up by casting Brad Pitt as Durden, so everybody fell for him.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jan 8, 2015

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Paladinus posted:

This story actually reminds me of that completely real mentally ill person. Lena Kochman. She's literally paranoid and thinks evil patriarchy is out there to get her wherever she goes outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl68KipxeM

He's probably seen one of her videos and decided to make this STDH. Or he's actually met her or someone crazy just like her. Either way, the story sounds mildly plausible if only because he didn't own her with some hard MRA truths to be applauded by other customers.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Oh god I remember this video. Thank you for this, that reaction is just too good :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

kirbysuperstar posted:

A startling amount of them are reports on coughs she hears. This is..something else. Good grief.

For some reason she's fixated on the idea that anyone coughing, sneezing, clearing their throat or touching their nose in her vicinity is intentionally harassing her by implying her vagina smells bad. Same for orange caution cones, wet floor signs and tons of code words in ads.

She has a ton of blogs dating back to 2010 and it's a very bizarre/depressing read.

Solemn Secularity posted:

Tape note to wall, take photo for the Internet, immediately remove note and skulk away.

There's no way this is real just because no passive-aggressive note writer would leave anything that would give away their identity or lead to a confrontation like that. The frozen laundry part I could believe. People get really pissy about shared laundry rooms.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Not pictured: mass proposing, airport breaking into applause.

Tape note to wall, take photo for the Internet, immediately remove note and skulk away.

That first girl is dead now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How does that paranoid woman live? Like, who takes care of her because she obviously can't hold a job or buy food or anything if she's actually like that.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Kimmalah posted:

There's no way this is real just because no passive-aggressive note writer would leave anything that would give away their identity or lead to a confrontation like that. The frozen laundry part I could believe. People get really pissy about shared laundry rooms.

Yeah, while I don't believe the confrontational note, people do poo poo like that. I remember in college someone took my clothes out mid washing cycle so I put theirs in the lint filled trash, waited until mine finished and then put it in the dryer. Apparently they didn't care enough to check on their laundry b/c it took about 15 minutes for mine to finish washing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oldpainless posted:

How does that paranoid woman live? Like, who takes care of her because she obviously can't hold a job or buy food or anything if she's actually like that.

Her most recent blog entries talk about how people hang up when she calls them when they find out :siren: she's in a mental institution :siren:, like that somehow invalidates her theories. :rolleyes:

She's clearly clinically insane though and has been committed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

oldpainless posted:

As far as I can tell she held a job at some point but wrote about getting into a lot of trouble for confronting coworkers who coughed around her. Her most recent stuff sounds like she's bouncing around from mental hospitals to homeless shelters and back, which of course have coughing people in them too so she's constantly fighting with them now. No idea how she actually lives though, she sounds pretty estranged from family/friends. :smith:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

oldpainless posted:

Also, is it common practice for mental health workers to give their patients their assessments? That seems really loving weird to me.

Crazy in point

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I can believe this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The sad thing about that kind of paranoia is that it seems like an inescapable vicious circle. If you don't trust anyone, you won't let anyone help you. Everyone who tries to help you must be up to something.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

Also, is it common practice for mental health workers to give their patients their assessments? That seems really loving weird to me.

Crazy in point

I'm nowhere near mentally ill enough to be committed, but when I had my last clinical evaluation, I had a session afterwards where I sat down and discussed it with the person who administered it and my therapist, what all the results meant, what the recommended courses of treatment were, etc and even got my own copy of the written report. It might be different for more severely mentally ill people, but it's not a total taboo at the very least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

davidspackage posted:

The sad thing about that kind of paranoia is that it seems like an inescapable vicious circle. If you don't trust anyone, you won't let anyone help you. Everyone who tries to help you must be up to something.

Yeah, that's exactly whats so dangerous about it. Once you're hardcore into that kind of trust-nobody mentality, it can take years and years and years of professional help to try to break you out of it. Even then some never do.

The human mind is pretty fuckin' complicated.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

davidspackage posted:

This is what really weirds me out about this specific psychosis. Can these Gang stalking obsessives ever be rehabilitated? I assume like most other mental illnesses with the right medication and support you could eventually get back in touch with reality but for the reasons you stated that seems near impossible. Not trying to demonize these people I'm just genuinely curious because my only exposure to this whole thing has been from the creepy as gently caress videos people post themselves. I mean they must think there's some support group if they're broadcasting their videos on youtube.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's exactly whats so dangerous about it. Once you're hardcore into that kind of trust-nobody mentality, it can take years and years and years of professional help to try to break you out of it. Even then some never do.

The human mind is pretty fuckin' complicated.

This sort of answers my question but does anyone have any more info or personal experience on this?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My experience with schizophrenics is that they are heavily medicated, not to try and "fix" it but to keep them under control by those around them.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

That's a bandaid. That is a smiley-face bandaid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rare Collectable posted:

This sort of answers my question but does anyone have any more info or personal experience on this?

You're pretty much asking about modern psychology (extreme cases anyways) itself. There's... a lot of information and experience that could be shared, dude.
Just start googling and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

Personally I think sociopaths, psychopaths, extreme paranoia and extreme phobias and the like are all pretty interesting, if just to see the limits of humanity. There but for the grace of god go us.
Feral children are also a pretty interesting (although extremely depressing) subject.

I like to tell myself that if I ever actually snapped, I'd be clever enough to figure out that I was going insane and I could at least try to work with the doctors, but that's probably not true.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

You're pretty much asking about modern psychology (extreme cases anyways) itself. There's... a lot of information and experience that could be shared, dude.
Just start googling and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

Personally I think sociopaths, psychopaths, extreme paranoia and extreme phobias and the like are all pretty interesting, if just to see the limits of humanity. There but for the grace of god go us.
Feral children are also a pretty interesting (although extremely depressing) subject.

I like to tell myself that if I ever actually snapped, I'd be clever enough to figure out that I was going insane and I could at least try to work with the doctors, but that's probably not true.

I had a psychotic break once from extreme depression/meds/stress combo. It's more annoying that people can't see the things you're seeing and aren't making the logical connections you are. You feel rational and in control, but even when faced with direct contradiction your mind just jumps over it. I imagine that no two psychoses are the same, though.

Psychosis in general is simply fascinating. Complex machinery is great to watch when it works, but the truly astonishing things happen when it fails (just look at the OSHA thread), and the brain is the same.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I had a psychotic break once from extreme depression/meds/stress combo. It's more annoying that people can't see the things you're seeing and aren't making the logical connections you are. You feel rational and in control, but even when faced with direct contradiction your mind just jumps over it. I imagine that no two psychoses are the same, though.

Psychosis in general is simply fascinating. Complex machinery is great to watch when it works, but the truly astonishing things happen when it fails (just look at the OSHA thread), and the brain is the same.

Yeah I haven't been there myself, but I've taken enough strong drugs and I've had enough bad trips to know exactly how easily my sanity could slip away.

Friend of mine once got caught in a loop so bad it was like an Abbott and Costello routine.
"Oh no, the cops are after me!"
"...what? No dude you're fine, there's no cops."
"oh, I'm fine, there's no.... cops! The cops are coming! I have to get away!"
"NO dude, you're fine, its okay, there were never any cops"
"WHAT ABOUT COPS? OH GOD I HAVE TO GET AWAY"

And like you said, your brain just kinda accepts things and skips over the parts that would make you question it. You're trapped.

Anyways, this is getting off topic, because crazy people is definitely poo poo that happens.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Evilreaver posted:

(just look at the OSHA thread)

Well don't just say that and not link it.

E: Nevermind me! The new search function actually works! Funny that.

The Iron Rose has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jan 9, 2015

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Wasn't this in a movie?

quote:

Giving You A (Prison) Break
COFFEE SHOP | SAN FRANCISCO, CA, USA | AWESOME CUSTOMERS, BAD BEHAVIOR, CRIMINAL/ILLEGAL, FOOD & DRINK
Customer #1: “Thank God, this line is taking forever.”

(There is no line at all, although the tables are mostly occupied.)

Me: “Sorry about the wait, sir. May I take your order?”

(The customer proceeds to rattle off a long, confusing, and often contradictory order, including such things as a meatless ham sandwich.)

Me: “Sir, I’m a little confused by your order. Do you mean—”

Customer #1: “—oh for God’s sake, I have to repeat myself now? Weren’t you paying attention the first time?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t want to get anything wrong. You made a big order, and—”

Customer #1: *sighs* “I’ll repeat myself, but just this once. I hate dealing with lazy ignorant dropouts like you.”

(He repeats his order, but I understand it even less because I am trying not to cry. He finishes speaking and snaps his fingers at me.)

Customer #1: “Hello?! Punch it in, you dumb b****. I haven’t got all day, and—”

(Suddenly one of the other customers; a strongly-built man who has been quietly sitting at a nearby table, roars and leaps to his feet, flipping the table and spilling his coffee in the process.)

Customer #2: “GOD-D*** IT! ONE DAY OUT OF PRISON, AND ALREADY I HAVE TO MURDER AN IDIOT IN A COFFEE STORE!”

(The rude customer shrieks and flees from the store. I and the remaining customers stare at the man, who quietly picks up the table and comes over to the counter.)

Customer #2: “I’ll pay for any damage. If you could show me where the mops are, I’ll take care of the mess too.”

Me: “I-I-I, um…”

Customer #2: “Don’t worry about it, sweetheart. There’s always gonna be an a** like that around.”

Me: “Uh, you, um…”

Customer #2: “Oh, the prison thing?” *laughs* “Never been in jail in my life. So, anyway, where’s that mop?”

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Khazar-khum posted:

Wasn't this in a movie?

It was all a set up. The first customer was friends with the second customer who has a "retail worker makes him mop up a mess" fetish.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Wasn't this in a movie?

Someone stole my STDH generator??

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

Wasn't this in a movie?

And once more we have to thank God that some well muscled dude was around to save the poor girl who is a complete stammering push over.

And they say chivalry is dead!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Fathis Munk posted:

And once more we have to thank God that some well muscled dude was around to save the poor girl who is a complete stammering push over.

And they say chivalry is dead!

The big, mean customer was about to make her cry. She probably had to retire to her fainting couch to fully recover.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
It's still not quite right though. Let me STDH-up that STDH:

quote:

Giving You A (Prison) Break ;) ;)
COFFEE SHOP | SAN FRANCISCO, CA, USA | AWESOME CUSTOMERS, BAD BEHAVIOR, CRIMINAL/ILLEGAL, FOOD & DRINK

Customer #1: “Thank G**, this line is taking forever, [me]—”

(There is no line at all, although the tables are mostly occupied.)

Me: “I am ever so in your debt, my dear [customer #1], about the wait that you are having in this [coffee shop], sir. May I take your order?”

(The [customer] proceeds to rattle off a long, confusing, and often contradictory [order], including such things as a meatless ham sandwich.)

Me: “Sir, I’m a little confused by your order. Do you mean—”

Customer #1: “—oh for God’s sake, I have to repeat myself now? Were not you paying attention the first time, W****?”

Me: “I am sorry, sir, but I do not want to get anything wrong. You made a big order, and—”

Customer #1: *sighs* “I’ll repeat myself, but just this once. I hate dealing with lazy ignorant dropouts like you, and—”

(He repeats his order *in perfect spanish*, but I understand it even less because I am trying not to cry. He finishes speaking and snaps his fingers at me.)

Customer #1: “Hello?! Punch it in, you dumb b**** W**** F** C***. I haven’t got all day, and—”

(Suddenly one of the other customers; a strongly-built man who has been quietly sitting at a nearby table, roars and leaps to his feet, flipping the table and spilling his coffee in the process.)

Customer #2: “G**-D*** IT! ONE DAY OUT OF PRISON, AND ALREADY I HAVE TO MURDER AN IDIOT IN A COFFEE STORE!”

(The rude customer shrieks and flees from the store. I and the remaining customers stare at the man, who quietly picks up the table and comes over to the counter.)

Customer #2: “I’ll pay for any damage. If you could show me where the mops are, I’ll take care of the mess too. I shall also give you this wondrous golden ring and a sum of money [$100].”

Me: “I-I-I, um…”

Customer #2: “Don’t worry about it, sweetheart. There’s always gonna be an a** like that around.”

Me: “Uh, you, um…”

Customer #2: “Oh, the prison thing?” *laughs* “Never been in jail in my life. So, anyway, where’s that mop?”

The rest of [coffee shop] started slowly clapping. My manager dimmed the lights and put some romantic music on over the PA system.

[Customer #2] approached me and unbuttoned his now soiled shirt, swinging me in for a big kiss. The lady who was next in line said "I'll have what she's having!" and the entire [coffee shop] erupted in laughter. I couldn't literally stop laughing.

He then started to tickle me until I violently told him to stop but it was too late, I wet my pants. [He] said "isn't it your school's prom night tonight?" and then danced with me for several hours.

5 Years later me and [customer #2] are expecting our first [child]. It turned out [customer #2] was the nephew of the lady who was next in line!

GOD BLESS YOU!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ooh yeah that is some good poo poo. If you had worked Einstein and Hitler in there... A man can dream.

I think reading all these made up stories just makes me realise just how many people seem to be completely socially inept. I mean who the gently caress could ever look at them and go "yep, that's how people react irl"

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

quote:

(The rude customer shrieks and flees from the store, screaming 'THIS KID IS INHUMAN!'...)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's a Russian STDH that was popular on Russian social networks and somehow got picked up by media outlets.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pupil-attends-school-performance-dressed-4874749

The story about Russians not being aware what Christmas is, apparently. In the original STDH from vkontakte parents at least claimed to be immigrants living in Germany and explained the mistake with not understanding German too well (which still doesn't really explain anything).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beware of anti-bitcoin sentiments; lost job due to bitcoin hating boss posted:

Until recently I worked as an IT admin at a medium sized insurance firm in the midwest with seven locations. The firm offers a range of products and also has a dedicated financial products salesman.

Recently I was doing some on-site maintenance on a server and adding a new ip phone at a branch office. While I was setting up the phone at a receptionists desk I happened to get into a conversation with a customer that was waiting for a meeting with the financial products guy.

Of course I mentioned during the conversation that I was into bitcoin but didn't push the topic. The customer asked me a bunch of questions about bitcoin and I told him about satoshi and how the federal reserve prints money and how inflation is destroying the dollar. I really wasn't pushing it, just rattling off a few comments while I punched in the phone settings. We also talked about college football and other normal stuff. I was just trying to be friendly.

The next day a company VP at the main office asked me why I was giving financial advice to "our clients". I was taken aback and asked what he was talking about. He said the financial products guy met with a client that was supposed to invest six figures in a fund but got cold feet after I spoke to him.

I explained the brief conversation I had with someone in the lobby but told him it was just about football and bitcoin. Right away he got really flustered and said that bitcoin was a scam and only dumb financially illiterate people buy it. I told him, as calmly as I could, that this wasn't the case and many successful CEOs own bitcoin. I also volunteered to show him some Andreas videos to help educate him on bitcoin. He just walked away from me mid-sentence.

Well last Friday which was four days after this conversation, I got fired. No explanation was given at all although I did get three months severance pay (I'll probably invest this in bitcoin as payback).

The only reason I can think I got fired is because I'm into bitcoin and my bosses didn't understand it. It's really frustrating to understand something as complicated as bitcoin but be unable to share this knowledge with others. So many people hate bitcoin without even trying to understand it. I honestly don't understand why people go out of their way to suppress bitcoin. I never bought into all of the conspiracy stuff but now I'm starting to think the existing financial system is beginning to fight back.

This is a throwaway and I won't claim any tips. I have some job leads and will come out fine if not better from this experience. I just wanted to share my story as a warning to others that not everyone has an open mind when it comes to bitcoin. There is still a lot of progress that needs to be made on the education front.

Edit: Just checked this post and noticed a lot of comments about me giving improper financial advice. In case it wasn't obvious above, I'm not a financial person I did IT work for this company. I told the client that I did IT and there shouldn't have been any confusion that I was a financial planner or anything.

Also, some people thought this was a huge client for the firm. I called a friend of mine back at the office and she told me that even though it was a six figure investment, the firm would have only made a single-digit percentage commission.

After reading some of the comments I still don't think I did anything wrong. I think the company overracted and wrongly assumed this client backed away due to bitcoin. Thanks to those of you that gave some positive feedback and advice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, bitcoiners were never supposed to be that good at math.
Middle of six figure values (500000), middle of one-digit commission (5%)...

$25k is no biggie right?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Everything about this is completely believable. And Hilarious.

Also I love the sniper post above. "I killed 24 people and either suffer from severe PTSD or am a psychopath, let me air my grievances by nonsensically pasting my haunting secret on a picture of a bear"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's a savvy company VP, nip that problem right in the bud.

That's not STDH, that belongs in the schadenfreude thread.

Don't talk about bitcoin at work you moron.
Reminds me of the time we consulted with some IBM guys, and one of them kept going on about 4chan (I swear this poo poo happened)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Edit: Just checked this post and noticed a lot of comments about me giving improper financial advice. In case it wasn't obvious above, I'm not a financial person I did IT work for this company. I told the client that I did IT and there shouldn't have been any confusion that I was a financial planner or anything.

Preeeeetty sure this will get you shitcanned for pretty good reason if you work at a financial services institution. Not only is it bad for business to talk up alternate places for clients to put their money, having someone spouting off unqualified financial advice can get you in legal trouble. I think this guy might be correct in that he was technically probably in the clear, which may be part of the reason he was quietly shuffled off instead of getting terminated for cause, but if there is the slightest doubt that a client might interpret his advice as being connected with the company--such as, I don't know, the fact that it came from an employee of the company, in the company's offices, to a client of the company--then there's enough legal and regulatory exposure to make compliance throw a shitfit. If the client goes off and loses a quarter of a million in Bitcoin, a verbal disclaimer of "I just work in IT, but..." is a pretty flimsy defense in court.

So yes, this sounds a lot like an embellished shit_that_did_happen.txt.

• Locked thread