Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Just don't work for that place over on bainbridge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Discendo Vox posted:

I would very much like to hear about this.

Anything specific? It's a pretty broad job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Saros posted:

Sorry, I'm specifically interested in the ways folks are planning to undermine the registration process via the ebola crisis.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Sorry, I should have said this out loud- We have been talking about the ethics of rushing out ebola treatments in the D&D thread. It came up whether companies were wanting to circumvent FDA processes out of a desire to do good, or out of greed. Your post stood out so I linked it in that thread.

Here's one spot where that was being discussed
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661322&pagenumber=194&perpage=40#post437604835
There's a lot more in that thread, but I forget which page. Vox here is one of the main posters discussing it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

majestic12 posted:

Job opening!

We are looking to hire a Raman service engineer / application scientist. You'd be part of a small service team and do stuff like on-site and remote/phone support for current customers, install/calibrate/train users on new systems, provide analysis for submitted samples, and help run demos and workshops. Out of town travel will be around 30-50% depending on workload. Background in chemistry, physics, or materials science is most common. MS/PhD preferred, but not required (I have a chemistry BS)

We're located in the NW suburbs of Chicago

You can apply directly from the posting (https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/12332008) or PM me and I will direct you to the right people.

Best part is you'd sit next to me, and my mom says I'm cool

I know this post is a couple weeks old but I PM'd you, I spent the first half of grad school doing a lot of Raman work so even if the position isn't open anymore I would love some details on what you do.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

C-Euro posted:

I know this post is a couple weeks old but I PM'd you, I spent the first half of grad school doing a lot of Raman work so even if the position isn't open anymore I would love some details on what you do.

Hey, sorry about that - I did get your pm. I believe they might still be accepting resumes before the end of the year, so if you like go ahead and submit. I'll try to put some more detail in a bit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

majestic12 posted:

Hey, sorry about that - I did get your pm. I believe they might still be accepting resumes before the end of the year, so if you like go ahead and submit. I'll try to put some more detail in a bit.

Thanks, do you have a timeline on the review -> interview -> offer process? I mentioned it in the PM I sent to you but my fiancee and I are moving this spring, we just don't know when and where to so it makes planning for a potential job switch difficult.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 14, 2014

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Any molecular biologists here interested in an RA position in Mountain View, CA? I'm looking to hire someone to make clones and do small scale expressions to help engineer a nanopore. Looking for BA/BS/MS 2+ years experience. Pay and benefits are nice, people are nice in the lab, and the company is at a pretty cool stage.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Appachai posted:

Just don't work for that place over on bainbridge...

Huh? I've heard nothing but good things about them (albeit 3rd or 4th hand). What is wrong with them?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

iloverice posted:

Huh? I've heard nothing but good things about them (albeit 3rd or 4th hand). What is wrong with them?

The company is going down, the ceo plans to shutter operations there and reform the company in boston. Pretty dysfunctional management as well. Every 2-3 weeks there's another round of layoffs.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
That's too bad. I am at Amgen now but the end is nigh. There isn't much available in the Seattle area at the moment. :(

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Gilead, novo, zymogenetics, or seattle genetics are your only hopes, short of moving to the bay or boston.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Appachai posted:

Any molecular biologists here interested in an RA position in Mountain View, CA? I'm looking to hire someone to make clones and do small scale expressions to help engineer a nanopore. Looking for BA/BS/MS 2+ years experience. Pay and benefits are nice, people are nice in the lab, and the company is at a pretty cool stage.

I don't have PMs, do you have an email address I can use to get in touch with you?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Appachai posted:

Gilead, novo, zymogenetics, or seattle genetics are your only hopes, short of moving to the bay or boston.

Gilead shut down in Seattle, didn't they?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Mourne posted:

I don't have PMs, do you have an email address I can use to get in touch with you?

Sure.

Solkanar512 posted:

Gilead shut down in Seattle, didn't they?

Not as far as I can tell. They have a kinase crystallography group for sure.

EDIT: removed email

Appachai fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 24, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Appachai posted:

Sure. Tim@geniachip.com

Not as far as I can tell. They have a kinase crystallography group for sure.

I was thinking Amgen, my bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nothing like getting into lab at 6am on a holiday to find out your coworkers used up the last of your Gibson mastermixes and cashed out the enzymes for them so you can't make any more until your institute opens for ordering next week. The frantic emails from your PI asking if the clones made for the grant submission are done yet don't help any either. Hooray for lab mates.

Happy New Year everyone!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

http://www.cen-chemjobs.org/jobseeker/articles/permatemp.html

quote:

The benefits of temping are plentiful: flexibility, the freedom to chose the projects you want, unlimited earning potential, and the chance to be the master of one's own destiny. While there are also some downsides such as a higher risk factor and the uncertainty of not always knowing when the next paycheck will arrive, many seem more than willing to deal with the tradeoffs.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So my husband is graduating with his PhD in Chemistry in the summer and is starting his job hunt now (we need to coordinate with where I get into graduate school, so much fun). Does anyone in this thread work in the material science/nanotechnology/semiconductors/electronic materials industry? Do you have any advice as to locations or companies outside of the standard military contractors and major chemical companies?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Appachai posted:

Novo as in enzymes?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Novo Nordisk

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

That Works posted:

Nothing like getting into lab at 6am on a holiday to find out your coworkers used up the last of your Gibson mastermixes and cashed out the enzymes for them so you can't make any more until your institute opens for ordering next week. The frantic emails from your PI asking if the clones made for the grant submission are done yet don't help any either. Hooray for lab mates.

Happy New Year everyone!
Wait, are you purifying your own enzymes for Gibson assembly? (If so, protocol link...)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eunabomber posted:

Wait, are you purifying your own enzymes for Gibson assembly? (If so, protocol link...)

No but we make our own mastermix for around half the price of the NEB mix by buying the enzymes separately etc.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I got my BS in chemistry in 2009 and spent the last 5 years working in Boston doing research reagent manufacture, mostly radiolabeling and HPLC method development but much more over 5 years here. I like it here, it's comfortable, but it's slowly become evident that this is a dead end job with a below-average salary and raises that will never beat inflation. Still, the work's alright, the people are great, and the hours are "eh, come in whenever, leave 8 hours later." So I'm not deathly urgent to get out, but I'd like to move on some time in the next ~6 months.

I've been sending out resumes on Indeed for listings that look like they'll either pay better or have a decent chance at some upward mobility, but I'm not really sure if I'm targeting the right jobs and I'm not sure where else to look for listings (Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn? What else?).

Already I've had two recruiters call to ask about more details about my LinkedIn resume, and I don't know shitall about recruiters. I know not to trust a drat thing because they're parasites, but that's about it. Also they asked about contract and contract-to-perm work and I also don't know anything about that. I know to ask for more money, since contract work doesn't come with benefits and I'd be more "on my own" financially as a contractor, but I don't know anything about negotiating contract work once the interview is over.

Still, Boston's a pretty good town for biotech/chemistry work, and I've only really just started hunting, so so far I'm not finding a shortage of listings to apply to. I hired a service to write my resume, and I'm happy with the result, but I still don't feel confident in any part of the application process prior to the interview.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

You should go to biotech tuesdays and talk to people instead of sending your resume into the void.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks, hadn't heard of that, on it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone else going to PittCon?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Appachai posted:

Position still open? Would love to shoot you my CV.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone else going to PittCon?

I'll be there hocking LIMS as far as I know.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey fellow lab rats, 2nd year postdoc here. My PhD is in chemistry but most of my training is in natural product isolation with a little synthesis and microbiology. Anyone else here work with natural products? Would love to talk some shop.

Career wise, I am not looking to be an academic. Would be happy with a job at NIH or other government science position. Also been looking for Field Service Engineer/technical support positions at places like Agilent and Shimazu.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm curious if anyone here works in or has been looking to jump ship into the cannabis/edibles testing business.

I had a chat with one of my sales guys who covers Nevada and apparently the recently legalized states boom pretty hard in terms of testing labs when legalization passes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lt_Tofu posted:

Hey fellow lab rats, 2nd year postdoc here. My PhD is in chemistry but most of my training is in natural product isolation with a little synthesis and microbiology. Anyone else here work with natural products? Would love to talk some shop.

Career wise, I am not looking to be an academic. Would be happy with a job at NIH or other government science position. Also been looking for Field Service Engineer/technical support positions at places like Agilent and Shimazu.
Natural products are amazing. Where are you looking and what have you found so far? Are you isolating and nailing down the structures? Any thoughts on teixobactin?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Has anyone successfully ran a Shimadzu GC from an Empower workstation that also uses Waters HPLCs? We recently purchased and installed a Shimadzu 2014 GC to add to the machine along with a special driver for Empower and an RS232 interface. The machine will be found, but this thing has been nothing but headaches so far. Waters insists that this is a Shimadzu issue and Shimadzu insists that it's a Waters issue. :doh:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I heart bacon posted:

Has anyone successfully ran a Shimadzu GC from an Empower workstation that also uses Waters HPLCs? We recently purchased and installed a Shimadzu 2014 GC to add to the machine along with a special driver for Empower and an RS232 interface. The machine will be found, but this thing has been nothing but headaches so far. Waters insists that this is a Shimadzu issue and Shimadzu insists that it's a Waters issue. :doh:
I successfully ran Lab Solutions with Shimadzu and Empower with Waters HPLC off the same computer. It was a nightmare. Constant crashes and conflicts to the point where I got a second workstation authorized to split the two instruments. I can't offer any advice other than don't do it.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

I successfully ran Lab Solutions with Shimadzu and Empower with Waters HPLC off the same computer. It was a nightmare. Constant crashes and conflicts to the point where I got a second workstation authorized to split the two instruments. I can't offer any advice other than don't do it.

I really wish that's what they would have done here. But you know... :20bux: So far, the other lab tech and I (she gets the majority of the kudos here), we have the machine working and communicating with the software. I'm not declaring success until we have a series of successful sample runs on this thing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Do any of you guys work in water/waste water laboratories? I've basically been tasked with entering the water/waste water market (LIMS) for my company and I'm trying to figure out where to start. This would also extend into larger scale environmental labs such as state level EPAs etc. I would love to have a quick conversation with any of you who work in this area.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Natural products are amazing. Where are you looking and what have you found so far? Are you isolating and nailing down the structures? Any thoughts on teixobactin?

Yeah they are. So right now I am in a lab that focuses on marine sponges. My projects have been focused on antifungal activity. It's all isolation and structure determination. A lot of known compounds so far ilimaquinone, varracin, oroidin. We submitted a paper on some crambescin homologs last month with a bit of SAR. My postdoctoral research has not been as exciting as I expected based on a the reputation of the PI. Took almost a year to get a working hood so I could run antifungal assays.

This week I have been purifying some antifungal phosphatidylcholine lipids. First time I have isolated something with phosphorus. Cool to see the 2-3 bond carbon/phosphorus coupling in 13c spectra.

My graduate work was with isolation of antibiotics from marine bacteria, so the teixobactin story was pretty exciting to me. We were studying marine bacteria for exactly the same reason, isolation of bacteria that haven't been studied. We found a new macrolide with the core structure of Fidaxomicin but it was selective for Gram negative bacteria (Fidaxomicin is only active against Gram positive). We know the mechanism of action and why there is a difference) Unfortunately and unbelievably frustrating, my advisor has been sitting on my work and it hasn't been published.

I am a little sceptical of the no resistance development of teixobactin but maybe the mechanism is too complicated for single mutations. The producing strain has resistance genes so horizontal transfer may eventually be a problem. Still, they are doing some awesome work.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Lt_Tofu posted:

My graduate work was with isolation of antibiotics from marine bacteria, so the teixobactin story was pretty exciting to me. We were studying marine bacteria for exactly the same reason, isolation of bacteria that haven't been studied. We found a new macrolide with the core structure of Fidaxomicin but it was selective for Gram negative bacteria (Fidaxomicin is only active against Gram positive). We know the mechanism of action and why there is a difference) Unfortunately and unbelievably frustrating, my advisor has been sitting on my work and it hasn't been published.

Was this in Texas? I'm pretty sure we collaborate with your graduate advisor.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Was this in Texas? I'm pretty sure we collaborate with your graduate advisor.

Yeah, John MacMillan at UTSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

What up utsw buddy