Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

SoundMonkey posted:

hail piss satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I've put my first pics up, more to follow! Forgot how much I hate scanning colour negatives ... anyway, here's my favourite of this set, which I'll call Wilma Wilson Traffic Island.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Baron Dirigible posted:

I've put my first pics up, more to follow! Forgot how much I hate scanning colour negatives ... anyway, here's my favourite of this set, which I'll call Wilma Wilson Traffic Island.

That's hilarious, also a good picture. There's something like that on my old commute too. It was a playground, forever overshadowed by a four lane highway going over it, sandwiched between two roads and a rail track. In the morning it usually had people exercising in it, I really should try to locate and shoot it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
The camera arrived with a big bag of film and 10bux in the box as well! I'll shoot the roll of Cinestill, been wanting to try that one.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Yeah, I PM'ed you about the :10bux: -- my PO is really anal about batteries so hopefully that'll cover the cost of new ones. Kind of a last-minute thing, should've thought of it before as I've had issues with them in the past.

Glad it got there alright! Really intrigued by the Cinestill myself, and I never got around to shooting any of nielsm's ortho film so that's there if anyone feels like a project.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

How many poo poo cameras are there now? I wouldn't mind throwing another one in the trash pile, provided I van shoot with one of the current ones around Toronto.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not going to say no to any camera that gets passed from one goon to another, anywhere in the world for any justification.

Make sure it works, throw a roll of film through it and toss another roll into the box (and maybe a battery or two, especially if it uses weirdo/unique batteries) and find out who wants it next. If you can justify the camera in some way - instrumental in the marketplace or corporate history of its manufacturer, some odd facet of its sales around the world (renamed in various markets, interesting advertising, etc.), first mass-produced camera to include some feature, or whatever - even better.

There are certainly a number of Dorkroom Goons in North America who have been waiting more-or-less patiently for the AE-1 to complete LAP ONE and return to this continent. For those who haven't been keeping track, it's currently in Australia, and hasn't yet visited South America, Africa, or Mainland Asia - not that those are necessary for the FIRST LAP, but any location in any of those places would get priority over a return to North America.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Ok I loaded it with a roll of Provia 400X because I have never used it before and it is discontinued so why not.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Things went a bit slowly because of it being the end of the year but I finished the roll! Will get it developed this week and if all is good will send it on to the next person. Who is next? Anyone else in Australia want a turn?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Well that was a huge waste of time and money, this camera has light leaks all over the loving place.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Yikes, I lost a few frames to leaks but nothing that bad.

I'm pretty sure I didn't manhandle it too badly, but I'd be happy to chip in for a CLA if this is a recent development...

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

Well that was a huge waste of time and money, this camera has light leaks all over the loving place.

I'm the man being born by the car.

Seriouspost: Judging from the colors of the light leaks it's leaking both both ways now. Front and back of the film. Wow. Willing to chip in to CLA if needed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yikes, I lost a few frames to leaks but nothing that bad.

I'm pretty sure I didn't manhandle it too badly, but I'd be happy to chip in for a CLA if this is a recent development...

Same, I had a few little ones, nothing that crazy. Mind you, its probably the fact that Perth is about 20mins drive from the face of the sun.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
drat. Sorry about that - money for CLA will definitely be on its way to whoever makes the arrangements.

Is there a worthwhile camera repair facility in Australia, or should this camera return to North America before continuing its journey? I'd rather it stay in Australia for now, I don't think it's had enough time Down Under, yet.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

ExecuDork posted:

drat. Sorry about that - money for CLA will definitely be on its way to whoever makes the arrangements.

Is there a worthwhile camera repair facility in Australia, or should this camera return to North America before continuing its journey? I'd rather it stay in Australia for now, I don't think it's had enough time Down Under, yet.

FWIW, I've used a place called shutterbox in Melbourne before to repair a camera that was busted. Seemed pretty reasonable.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Spedman posted:

Same, I had a few little ones, nothing that crazy. Mind you, its probably the fact that Perth is about 20mins drive from the face of the sun.

Yeah it is summer here and the worst leaks were when it was in direct sunlight or had been sitting on my passenger seat for a while.

Let me know what you want to do. A CLA seems like overkill, the exposures were spot on so it really is just the seals...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A full CLA is probably worthwhile, unless deaders (or some other Aussie) wants to spend the time and effort on the seals. The camera is around 30 years old, and while the exposures are good I wouldn't be surprised if there were other things on their way out that simply haven't failed yet.

How much would a CLA cost, anyway?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I can get a local quote and find out. I could have a go at the seals if it is just the wool/string method.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I don't think it's had enough time Down Under, yet.

Can anyone ever really have enough time...down under

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's been a month. Any news? Is the AE-1 lost in the howling wilderness of the Australian Outback?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Obviously it's time to do a proper CLA and replace it with an ME super

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Deaders probably got murdered by some Mad Max types in the wastelands of Perth for critiquing their art too bluntly.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Sorry guys I have been crazy busy, just got a recommendation for a local guy that does CLA's will call him today for a quote.

Spedman posted:

Deaders probably got murdered by some Mad Max types in the wastelands of Perth for critiquing their art too bluntly.

This is a reasonable assumption as well.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Wait, this is still going on?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wait, this is still going on?

Of course it is. This is a ~GoOn PrOjEcT~ so it's like a mildly brain-damaged tortoise - very slow, prone to periods of stillness stretching for weeks, but ridiculously long lived and hard to kill.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Camera around the worldAustralia

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Still waiting on a quote from the recommended local guy... apparently he is good but just an old guy who is not so fast with communication and turnaround times.

deaders fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 15, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

deaders posted:

Still waiting on a quote from the recommended local guy... apparently he is good but just an old guy who is not so fast with communication and turnaround times.

Thanks for the update.

And he sounds like he'd get on well around here.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
just throw it in the trash like i did with the shitcam

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Whitezombi posted:

just throw it in the trash like i did with the shitcam

You motherfucker.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another month, another echoing nothing.

Hello? Is this thing on?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah my bad, phoned the guy again today to follow up we are looking at around $100 to CLA and get new seals - what would you like me to do?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
CLA and new seals sounds good. I can paypal you $40 CDN to help you out if you like.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Anyone can also help out as they see fit although this is in no way some kind of forums fundraising thing and the burden rests solely on your generosity.

edit: if this is still a thing on friday i'll kick in tenbux to keep it going though

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Alternatively I can just have a go at the seals myself... I've done it before on a few cameras. Everything else seems to work on the camera.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It seems unlikely that you'll cause more problems than you solve if you have a go at the light seals yourself. How about plan A is you sit down with some foam and some glue, and plan B is the $100 thing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
If you go with plan B I'm in for ten bucks (which is what I sold shitcam to a hobo for).

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

My offer to help out still stands, or else I can just paypal beer money for after you fix the seals yourself.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

If you go with plan B I'm in for ten bucks (which is what I sold shitcam to a hobo for).

if you actually did this i will beat you up

where is that piece of poo poo thing anyways, don't make me have to mail out Backup Shitcam. It's SONY. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

if you actually did this i will beat you up

where is that piece of poo poo thing anyways, don't make me have to mail out Backup Shitcam. It's SONY. :ohdear:

It's in my back pack. I think the batteries are dead. I was sort waiting to give it to musket but I haven't talked to that toilet of posts in like two months now. I guess if someone else wants it they can get at me. I'll try to remember to charge the batteries soonish.

• Locked thread