Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

If these idiots still had the talent and the funds, they could have a major win with an AO2. Instead the IP is drifting off into irrelevancy.

AO2 with the engine and a lot of mechanics borrowed from The Secret World. I'd be totally ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do people even still play this?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

-Troika- posted:

Do people even still play this?

no

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Sadly.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
C'mon Funcom, all I want for Christmas is AO2. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat :smith:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Of course you mean you plan to wait a while to avoid the Funcom MMO release clusterfuck when AO2 comes out.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The new engine should be out any day now!

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Has a solid release date been announced yet? I can't find anything.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Helmholz posted:

Has a solid release date been announced yet? I can't find anything.

I was joking, only God knows if the new engine will ever see the light of day.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's the Waiting for Godot of games, as it's a giant existential joke.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I was joking, only God knows if the new engine will ever see the light of day.

Hasn't it been years and years since they've announced it at this point?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Which comes out first, AO engine update or Star Citizen that'll satisfy the people who donated 2000+ USD on it?

I will go to my grave pondering this

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Fewd posted:

Which comes out first, AO engine update or Star Citizen that'll satisfy the people who donated 2000+ USD on it?

I will go to my grave pondering this

EQNext will be released first I think.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Mokotow posted:

Hasn't it been years and years since they've announced it at this point?

It will be 10 years in June 2017 making this the DNF of patches.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I desperately want this game to get popular again, or at least falsely invest my hopes in a possible sequel. This game, at the height of its popularity, represented the golden age of MMOs for me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have some fond memories about this game but then I make myself stop and remember the rest of it, which was 95% horrible garbage. It's one of the only online RPGs I know of that was pretty OK at release, and got steadily much shittier with each content expansion. The Shadowlands expansion looked so awesome in principle but wow holy loving poo poo what terrible mechanics it introduced (except the Shade, which was a fascinating overly-complicated button mashy backstabber class that I loved tremendously)

Do not play this game it is a bad game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's actually really good and twinking was oddly satisfying

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Twinking was ridiculously addictive

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

The reason twinking was so fun was because you needed a number of class buffs, knowledge of implants, and a few gears you had to get yourself because most of it was untradeable. I had so much fun getting my enforcer twinked out in top ToTW gear the moment he was able to even enter the place. I tried hard to get a Panther on him but i was a few points short at the end.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
should've asked, i still have a set of 69 combined merc on my subway guy :shepface:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I remember when tower wars came out, I got my 20ish trader into some mantis armor and one of those ridiculously expensive shotguns after hours of twinking and just started destroying in pvp. For like 10 minutes and then some guy came along and wrecked me.

GOTY

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
pump trainees were the poo poo

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Dizz posted:

The reason twinking was so fun was because you needed a number of class buffs, knowledge of implants, and a few gears you had to get yourself because most of it was untradeable. I had so much fun getting my enforcer twinked out in top ToTW gear the moment he was able to even enter the place. I tried hard to get a Panther on him but i was a few points short at the end.

Yeah twinking was great fun.

I think the "world record" was a level 8 agent that equipped a QL200 rifle, which must have taken an insane amount of work.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah twinking was great fun.

I think the "world record" was a level 8 agent that equipped a QL200 rifle, which must have taken an insane amount of work.

There was a level 1 trader with a 6 slot NCU belt. That was impressive mentally questinable enough that I actually remember it after all this time: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?560681-Level-1-Trader-Lilgatester

e: good loving god I just read his twink posts more closely, now I want to cry for some reason

e2: studied my feelings and can define reason for wanting to cry as a mix of nostalgy and sheer terror in its purest form

Fewd fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 13, 2015

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I slapped ql69-74 combined commando on a subway twink, totally worth it

what a game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The high point of the game was when I was able to buy my first mount that cost me all my money, It was the land car. And because of stats when I used the car it was slower then walking. That is anarchy online story.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

QL10 Yalms being the best of all possible flying cars was great, shut up.

(The Grid/Fgrid was a great fast travel implementation though and more games should copy it like Secret World did.)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Flying speed being a set amount making QL 1 yalms better than QL 200 land cars was so retarded hahaha. The Grid was legitimately one of the most awesome fast travel systems I've experienced, however.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If I remember right, Ql200 Yalms actually were faster, but the difference was so minimal that there was zero reason to waste the IP on flying vehicles skill to get into one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
In the end everybody simply teleported everywhere. I liked the system with grid waypoints and actual footwork/flying around better before teleporting nanos became a big thing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kalman posted:

QL10 Yalms being the best of all possible flying cars was great, shut up.

I found three Yalms in mission chests the first few months.

Sold two, trading them inside sacks to get around the 'no trade' restriction.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

ToTW was the worst loving dungeon and the only reason I was able to bypass it on my 5th+ char was because he got twinked. My agent, adventurer, fixer, medic, and crat all loving died to it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
get good :smug:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Flesh Forge posted:

I have some fond memories about this game but then I make myself stop and remember the rest of it, which was 95% horrible garbage. It's one of the only online RPGs I know of that was pretty OK at release, and got steadily much shittier with each content expansion. The Shadowlands expansion looked so awesome in principle but wow holy loving poo poo what terrible mechanics it introduced (except the Shade, which was a fascinating overly-complicated button mashy backstabber class that I loved tremendously)

Do not play this game it is a bad game.

If the graphics were updated (hey I hear the engine is in beta!), and there were players to play, I'd still be playing this.

I had no problem with SL or even AI as an expansion. The introduction of AI dailies made AI levels so easy to earn that it took the sense of accomplishment out of it.

(and I had a 208/30 opifex shade, fun character in the right group)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I thought playing an Agent would have been fun since I could change into other classes, then I realized that I needed their respective stats for their nanos and :stonk:

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 13, 2015

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Dizz posted:

I thought playing an Agent would have been fun since I could change into other classes, then I realized that I needed their respective stats for their nanos and :stonk:

I thought about fully leveling a fixer until I realized they werent needed or generally useful past a certain point. And absolutely nobody wanted fixers in Inferno missions, so getting from 205 to 220 would take a *long* time.

So I went ahead and level limited it at 150 so I could farm S10 with smurf armor when the 4m cr bounties were in place.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I played a soldier because dakka dakka, got what I wanted

As a bonus, s10 soldiers owned the poo poo and were great at - wait for it - killstealing.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

killstealing posted:

I played a soldier because dakka dakka, got what I wanted

As a bonus, s10 soldiers owned the poo poo and were great at - wait for it - killstealing.

I had a 217/30 soldier and had the hookups, so I had the beast gun. Pretty sweet. Never made 220 because I couldnt find enough omni's to finish my inf missions.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I honestly couldn't stand the grind so I never went above 150, just twinked. Relaxing, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
this game loving owned bones. got a huge sense of nostalgia when i clicked that link to the official forums and saw them again. miss going sonic the hedgehog fast all over the drat place with my fixer

• Locked thread