Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

adorai posted:

In fact, 10mbps can probably stream most 1080p content.

True now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sonic CD is free today if you don't already have it

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Sonic-CD/dp/B008K9UZY4

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Does the Netflix app on the Stick just sick or what? It buffers every few minutes no matter what I'm watching. Prime and other streaming services work just fine with no hiccups.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Does the Netflix app on the Stick just sick or what? It buffers every few minutes no matter what I'm watching. Prime and other streaming services work just fine with no hiccups.

Works fine for me. Maybe your ISP is trying to shake down Netflix for money?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

withak posted:

Hopefully the fcc will do the right thing with net nutrallity

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

withak posted:

Well it is comcast... Soo...

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Can FireTV/Plex/Firestick pick up a recording from HDHomerun while its recording or live tv from HDHomerun? I think the latter is a no from googling, but I wanna see if a show can start recording to an HTPC and I can start watching the part thats recorded after a minute or so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

You could try it on a computer or tablet or something to figure out if it is a network thing or a software thing.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Netflix on my stick works fine. I have TWC. My firestick does disconnect form wireless after a while and need to be rebooted almost every 2 days.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Well it is comcast... Soo...

Is your stick USB powered or wall powered?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

5436 posted:

Can FireTV/Plex/Firestick pick up a recording from HDHomerun while its recording or live tv from HDHomerun? I think the latter is a no from googling, but I wanna see if a show can start recording to an HTPC and I can start watching the part thats recorded after a minute or so.

I've only done a little research on trying to do live tv with the Fire TV but, from what I know, it should be possible to feed the channels into Kodi via upnp but only the HDHomeRun that does transcoding will work because the Fire TV has big issues with playback of MPEG2 streams.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204467

Or I guess you can use the official HDHomerun app

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-USA-Inc-HDHomeRun-VIEW/dp/B00I49HT1C

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
The HD app doesn't work on the firetv, its for the tablets I think. I got the Homerun w/ transcoding. I think I saw somewhere Kodi running the live tv but the interface was poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

5436 posted:

The HD app doesn't work on the firetv, its for the tablets I think. I got the Homerun w/ transcoding. I think I saw somewhere Kodi running the live tv but the interface was poo poo.

Nope, they added Fire TV support in the last update (but only the Fire TV, no stick support)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fremry posted:

Is your stick USB powered or wall powered?

Wall powered.

The stream will start out good for a few seconds, start to skip (but without ever saying it's buffering), then run decent for a minute or two and then hit the rebuffering loop. It stops, the buffering pops up, goes to 25% (every single time) hangs there and then about 30 seconds later the stream starts again, and every 3 or 4 minutes the process restarts.

But all other services stream flawlessly. Just gonna reinstall the Netflix app tonight and see if that fixes it.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Has anyone been able to pair a PS4 controller to their FireTV?

I get as far as the pairing stage but it is unsuccessful every time. I was going to try some wacky workaround using adb to get the FireTV's bluetooth address and then manually adding that to the controller using SixAxisPairTool but adb returns null when I use the "settings get secure bluetooth_address" command I found while googling.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

hitachi posted:

Has anyone been able to pair a PS4 controller to their FireTV?

I get as far as the pairing stage but it is unsuccessful every time. I was going to try some wacky workaround using adb to get the FireTV's bluetooth address and then manually adding that to the controller using SixAxisPairTool but adb returns null when I use the "settings get secure bluetooth_address" command I found while googling.

Worked just fine for me. How are you pairing it?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Just going to the menu on the Fire and holding down the share and PS button on the controller. The controller starts doing the fast blinking thing and then it pops up on the FireTV. I select the controller that popped up with the Fire remote and then it just sits there for a few minutes and says unable to pair.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Has anyone jumped from a Roku 3 to this thing?

I have a Roku 3 currently and while I love it, the thing can be slow as poo poo sometimes. Simple stuff like scrolling through movies on Netflix can sometimes bog the drat thing down, when this happens it will take a good 5 seconds for it to catch up. Its not the end of the world but it gets a little annoying after a while.

I have been keeping tabs on the Fire TV and it looks like its a pretty fast device, so I am curious if anyone has any comparisons between the two devices and whether or not it seems to be faster than the Roku 3?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

hitachi posted:

Just going to the menu on the Fire and holding down the share and PS button on the controller. The controller starts doing the fast blinking thing and then it pops up on the FireTV. I select the controller that popped up with the Fire remote and then it just sits there for a few minutes and says unable to pair.

sideload a regular android settings.apk and then try to pair it through that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

I have a Roku 3 currently and while I love it, the thing can be slow as poo poo sometimes. Simple stuff like scrolling through movies on Netflix can sometimes bog the drat thing down, when this happens it will take a good 5 seconds for it to catch up. Its not the end of the world but it gets a little annoying after a while.

I have been keeping tabs on the Fire TV and it looks like its a pretty fast device, so I am curious if anyone has any comparisons between the two devices and whether or not it seems to be faster than the Roku 3?

If no one else gets back to you in a couple days, I can let you know. I just moved into a new house and haven't unpacked everything, so I haven't gotten a chance to set up my Fire TV Stick. I'm planning on setting it up this weekend, and I can give you a comparison between the Stick and Roku 3.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I can't conceive of any reason that a firetv is not a million times better than a Roku. The firetv is an actual computer with a real operating system with tons of app development (android). The fact that you can sideload something you use on your phone/tablet onto your TV is incredible. Xbmc/kodi. That's all that needs to be said.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I can't conceive of any reason that a firetv is not a million times better than a Roku. The firetv is an actual computer with a real operating system with tons of app development (android). The fact that you can sideload something you use on your phone/tablet onto your TV is incredible. Xbmc/kodi. That's all that needs to be said.

Pretty much.

I upgraded from a Roku LT and the difference was night and day. The YouTube app was unusable. Hulu app was basically slow motion. Almost everything that ran ok had a terrible UI.

On the FIre TV, it's all smooth as butter.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

In CNET's tests, Roku 3 beat out Fire TV in terms of speed and lag. My Roku 3 is actually very speedy with no discernible lag, and I'm cautiously expecting my Fire TV stick to perform worse than my Roku. Unless you actually have experience with the exact products, your assumptions are worthless, because they are all built similarly with different home brewed OSs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gozinbulx posted:

I like the Roku, the Fire TV, the Chromecast, my half-busted laptop with an HDMI port and I even still like my old lovely Boxee Box but they're all for different users with different needs and skills. :shrug:

If I was getting a box for someone who isn't an avid computer user I'd still get a Roku. If they were comfortable with some workarounds or just wanted Amazon stuff and/or stuff from the big names that are on all these devices, a Fire TV would be attractive. If they sat around on their Android tablet all day and were most comfortable with that in front of the TV I'd get them a Chromecast. If they were just playing poo poo they downloaded I would consider a used Boxee Box or something cheaper that is just made for playing off network storage. I wouldn't give anyone the half-busted laptop because it's flaky and a while ago it decided for a couple months to run at about half CPU power and then mysteriously started working properly again.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Fremry posted:

In CNET's tests, Roku 3 beat out Fire TV in terms of speed and lag. My Roku 3 is actually very speedy with no discernible lag, and I'm cautiously expecting my Fire TV stick to perform worse than my Roku. Unless you actually have experience with the exact products, your assumptions are worthless, because they are all built similarly with different home brewed OSs.

I do have experience with all of them but you completely ignored my actual reason for preferring the AFTV. It's not about lagginess, its about the platform. The FireTV is based on android, and that brings with it a whole slew of possibilities that the Roku does not, since it's a proprietary OS with no outside development besides "channels". Yes I know the FireTV runs on a custom android build but its still android in its guts and the possibilities are grand.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gozinbulx posted:

I do have experience with all of them but you completely ignored my actual reason for preferring the AFTV. It's not about lagginess, its about the platform. The FireTV is based on android, and that brings with it a whole slew of possibilities that the Roku does not, since it's a proprietary OS with no outside development besides "channels". Yes I know the FireTV runs on a custom android build but its still android in its guts and the possibilities are grand.
Google TV had those same possibilities and we all know how that ended. From my experience Amazon tends to be really lazy about updating their Android app store compared to Google, though I don't know what the root cause is there.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

Google TV had those same possibilities and we all know how that ended. From my experience Amazon tends to be really lazy about updating their Android app store compared to Google, though I don't know what the root cause is there.

Amazon's in a much better position because developers are realizing they can hit Fire TV and Nexus Player people at the same time with minimal effort.

Roku was good at the time but their underpowered hardware and horribly dated UI that requires custom builds is going to sink them against the upcoming wave of Android boxes.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amazon's in a much better position because developers are realizing they can hit Fire TV and Nexus Player people at the same time with minimal effort.

Roku was good at the time but their underpowered hardware and horribly dated UI that requires custom builds is going to sink them against the upcoming wave of Android boxes.

This guy gets it.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Speaking of the upcoming wave of Android boxes, what do guys think of the new Razer Forge? Hardware feature wise it's almost the same as the FTV except it has a snapdragon 805, AC wifi, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0, 16gb of storage and Lollipop for $99. If external storage works out of the box and/or it's rootable I'm gonna switch in a second, if only because Android 5.0 would solve most of the issues that I have with the Fire TV.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

The guy's question and concern was about the speed and lag. Your answer of being more like a computer in terms of functionality is like telling someone whose concern about a car is gas milage that another car is better because it has heated leather seats.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Porkchop Express posted:

That's not been my experience with the Roku 3. I've had a refurbished one for not quite a year, and I've never noticed that kind of lag inside Netflix on my Roku 3. Is the actual interface getting hung up, or is it just slow to load thumbnails, like maybe it's a network issue? Do you have a ton of channels added to the home screen?

I've been using the Fire TV Stick since it came out, and Netflix on there can often get kinda jumpy. Hulu Plus is bad about it, too. The video will freeze for a split second, then play in fast motion to catch up, and it's very distracting. One the Roku 3 starts playing video, I rarely ever see it act up (excluding some files through Plex.) If you're asking about the Fire TV box though, I can't say what Netflix is like on there, but I'll bet it hiccups less often than on the Stick.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fremry posted:

The guy's question and concern was about the speed and lag. Your answer of being more like a computer in terms of functionality is like telling someone whose concern about a car is gas milage that another car is better because it has heated leather seats.

Eh, I don't know how this

quote:

Blazing-fast: The Roku 3 has the fastest chip of any of Roku's boxes and it shows, making it feel more responsive than any other streaming box I've used, including the newer Amazon Fire TV. The other Rokus are slower than Roku 3, but still plenty speedy.

is considered a cnet test. Unless there's some other article I'm missing.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

utonium posted:

I've been using the Fire TV Stick since it came out, and Netflix on there can often get kinda jumpy. Hulu Plus is bad about it, too. The video will freeze for a split second, then play in fast motion to catch up, and it's very distracting.

Ok glad I'm not the only one this happens to. I've had my big fire tv do this multiple times in the Netflix app during a single episode of a show. It's super annoying.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Porkchop Express posted:

I don't have an answer for you either but I did order a Fire TV and should get it on Friday. I haven't had the slow issues with my Roku that you mention but I also don't really use any of the paid apps(netflix, hulu plus). I'm getting the FireTV just for xbmc alone. I'm hoping things perform better than they did with my piece of poo poo android box I got last week.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I don't have an answer for you either but I did order a Fire TV and should get it on Friday. I haven't had the slow issues with my Roku that you mention but I also don't really use any of the paid apps(netflix, hulu plus). I'm getting the FireTV just for xbmc alone. I'm hoping things perform better than they did with my piece of poo poo android box I got last week.

XBMC has been rock solid on my Fire TV.

If you have the big Fire TV, you may want to increase the cache when you get it installed.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 8, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Its really weird because my roku will totally lag when just scrolling through things, especially on Netflix. It drives me crazy that when I hit the button to scroll it will often times take a while to catch up and will automatically scroll through 7 movies to get to the spot I am currently at. I mean as a device I like the roku and the fact that its pretty much platform independent, but it just likes like a motherfucker sometimes for me. I just ask because I saw that the fire tv has a quad core processor and 2gb of ram vs the dual core and 512MB of ram on the roku 3.

Basically for me in terms of apps I use its almost a wash, the ones we use most are Netflix and Hulu, with some crunchyroll and occasionally the giant bomb video app thrown in, the giant bomb app being the only one I would have to sideload.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

XBMC has been rock solid on my Fire TV.

If you have the big Fire TV, you may want to increase the cache when you get it installed.

How do you do this? Is it something you can do stock?

Nevermind, reading comprehension. You said with XBMC.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

utonium posted:

That's not been my experience with the Roku 3. I've had a refurbished one for not quite a year, and I've never noticed that kind of lag inside Netflix on my Roku 3. Is the actual interface getting hung up, or is it just slow to load thumbnails, like maybe it's a network issue? Do you have a ton of channels added to the home screen?

I'm the same way with my Roku 3. I have pretty good internet but it's definitely not anything to brag about. I never see any lag on it whatsoever even when I'm screwing with Plex over wifi. I don't have a TON of channels installed myself, maybe 20-30 official and private channels total.

My only real complaints with the Roku 3 are:
- can't sideload stuff (I've got a broken laptop hdtv that can pick up this slack for the most part, but yeah no comparison to FireTV here I will admit)
- even when using the remote app and/or using a physical keyboard it STILL can't change focus to the typing area on youtube. What I mean is the keyboard works all over the Roku fine, but since I can't "click on the search entry box" I still have to do the incredibly slow feat of scrolling through that stupid rear end interface to take forever to even type something as short as "hall and oates"

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

- even when using the remote app and/or using a physical keyboard it STILL can't change focus to the typing area on youtube. What I mean is the keyboard works all over the Roku fine, but since I can't "click on the search entry box" I still have to do the incredibly slow feat of scrolling through that stupid rear end interface to take forever to even type something as short as "hall and oates"

Pair your phone with the Roku App, find the video on your phone and send it to the Roku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Yeah no lag or sluggish UI issues on my end with a Roku 3 personally. Side loading apps is pretty cool I have to admit but the giant bomb app kept stuttering for me on the FireTV stick.

That youtube typing field thing though seems to be a youtube thing alone. My brother has a keyboard set up for his Samsung TV and we were trying to figure out how the hell to type into the search box but gave up. Then I tried to do the same thing on my Roku 3 and yeah, can't access and type into that field using the Roku app on my phone.

Since getting my FireTV stick I've gotten a Roku 3 as a gift and have gone back to using a Roku. I was previously a Roku stick user and the 3 was a welcome boost to speed compared to the stick. I've never used XMBC before so I don't know what everyone is always geeking out about.

• Locked thread