Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one, but for a more casual crowd, I've found that Nightfall hits a lot of the right notes for people. It's a werewolf/vampire/hunter deckbuilder with the key element being that you have a lot of interaction going on other players' turns. This has worked great for us as people get less distracted/fidgety if there's always stuff to do. Sure, it has some glaring balance issues and the occasional nonsense rule, but I've had success with it and really hope someone refines some of the better ideas in it into whatever the Dominion-killer turns out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zveroboy posted:

Seriously though, it's not really a game worth overthinking unless you have a hyper-competitive grandma you often play it with or something. Draw pretty cards, argue whether it's "pink" or "lavender", put some trains down, piss everyone off when you put your trains down all wonky and not exactly inside the lines oh my god you loving bastard how hard is it to put your goddamn trains down straight

Nah, it's always worth overthinking. I'm always interested in playing games well, I don't particularly like feeling like I'm just slapping trains down to complete my routes and maybe I'll win or something. When I'm done, draw a few more tickets, try to complete those too. Like, that's fun in its own "weee choo-choo" kinda way but it's kind of unfulfilling and then at the end of the game I'm not really sure why I've won or lost and that's just eh.

basically if the game has a win condition I do actually think it's worth thinking about the best way to achieve it because if you're playing a competitive game and you're not trying to win then what the hell are you doing? I'd love to know how to play Ticket To Ride better.

also broken loose you've convinced me next time I get people together to play games, I'm gonna see if we can play Dominion. I know we have Dominion but it has been shunted off and never played because I haven't liked a single deckbuilder before but that's because we played bullshit like Quarriors and dominion sounds like it'd do right by me.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Toshimo posted:

I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one, but for a more casual crowd, I've found that Nightfall hits a lot of the right notes for people. It's a werewolf/vampire/hunter deckbuilder with the key element being that you have a lot of interaction going on other players' turns. This has worked great for us as people get less distracted/fidgety if there's always stuff to do. Sure, it has some glaring balance issues and the occasional nonsense rule, but I've had success with it and really hope someone refines some of the better ideas in it into whatever the Dominion-killer turns out to be.

Nightfall is a combo-oriented, directly competitive, political as gently caress deckbuilder. While I enjoy the game, it is not a good game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you want babby's first deckbuilder but refuse to get Dominion, just get Star Realms.

Disclaimer: I don't think it's a good game, but:

- It's simple
- It has *SPACESHIPS* for people who must have LAZEERS in their games.
- It's cheap as poo poo, so you can get much the same experience of other crappy deckbuilders at a reduced price.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 9, 2015

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm a fan of arctic scavengers and core worlds.

Dominion is good but scales too much with player skill. I always feel bad plunking it on the table with new players because they will get beat badly. Everyone I know who is good at it is bored of it and would rather play something else. It occupies no need in my game collection right now. As much as star realms is a bad game it is always what I reach for when exposing someone to their first deckbuilder.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Nightfall Kingmaking at its finest. I like Core Worlds as well. I think deckbuilding is going to be a support mechanism like it is in Mage Knight more than people trying to up Dominion. As a support mechanism I like it a lot better than games like Thunderstone Advance.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I tried to get Arctic Scavengers but a) it is like $79.99 and b) it doesn't ship to my country. :( Same thing with Tales of the Arabian Knights.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is supposed to be a kickstarter for an Arctic Scavengers expansion that would have the base game at a certain pledge level, but it's weird. Rio Grande Games doesn't want to publish the expansion but have given the designer permission to KS it. There has been no response to the BGG thread since October so I'm not getting my hopes up. SUSD pretty much steamrolls the available stock of a game if they create hype so it's something to beware of.

Can anyone compare Eminent Domain and Core Worlds? (Assuming they have anything in common..)

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 9, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I’m playing Quantum for the first time in a while with my group tomorrow. Had a bit of a rough experience with it the last time we played (was the first time we played the game) due to some ridiculously bad luck and us not realizing how big of a threat a runaway leader could be.

I remember when I mentioned it before, some people mentioned some house rules they play with to help alleviate some of the initial randomness of the opening configurations. Anyone mind reposing some of those suggestions? I vaguely recall allowing some kind of manipulation of starting dice (re-rolls?) and also starting with an ability I think. Otherwise, looking forward to getting the game on the table again after quite a while of not having played it!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lichtenstein posted:

So, uh, what's the proper way to seriously play Ticket to Ride? I mean, I'm not a big fan of ultra-light euros and only really play it when forced by a swarm of newbies at my friends house, mostly by waiting for a beer to cool and mindlessly popping down trains.

I get how one could treat, say, Carcassone more seriously by engaging in a vicious blocking game and shrewd min/maxing of controlled territory. TTR, not so much. I mean, you can kinda block someone sometimes when he telegraphs his route strongly and the stars align, maybe there's a possibility for some card denial? Still, the blocking potential in this game feels rather toothless most of the time.

The friend who owns the game and has played it a lot with family has a surprisingly effective habit of drawing new objectives like a madman in mid/late game, under assumption it's easy to find something that's accidentally completed or requires little effort to complete, outweighting dead draws.

So, please tell me about proper strategy pro players of illegal street TTR use to get all the chicks.

I dunno if this is the optimal strategy but I've had a large amount of success in knocking out my destinations as quickly as possible and then focusing on taking as many long tracks as I can. Obviously this is dependent on a couple factors. If you draw destinations that take a while to complete and a few people have destinations connected by a 6-train track then it's going to be less effective. Why bother with destinations when securing track gives you a boatload of points?

Obviously block people where you can, but don't get over-invested. You can end up spending way more time and effort than is actually helpful unless you are sure you can keep them from getting to their destination. The ill-will you generate is often not much to deal with either.

I would say that now I win most games using this strategy. Honestly it has a little too much variance to be able to play competitively. I have no idea if this strategy would work on the different maps, but I have tried it with the American expansion and it seems to still work there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

almost everything funso said was the opposite of the truth.

dominion is amazing for newcomers and only lacks player interaction if you're poo poo at the game. it is the absolute king of the deckbuilding genre. every deckbuilder except eminent domain is a hollow attempt to remake dominion except without learning any design lessons from dominion. even puzzle strike, which is the 3rd best deckbuilder only by virtue of being 99% dominion + 1% alternate scoring system.

buy and play dominion. everybody who i introduced to board gaming via dominion got addicted and enthralled. it's not just about building an engine; it's about making something out of a pool of legos and having it come to life in front of you. it's about 2,890,247,000,000,000 different possible game setups. it's about getting some rats to eat some of your garbage and it works but they keep multiplying and then you begin sacrificing those rat babies on an altar of a mysterious cult. it's about thematic interactions being more important than the word "cthulhu" or "zombie" being printed on a card. and you know? in the end, your friend who never played anything more than risk is now making engines because the process itself is so engrossing and enjoyable, and dominion gives you so many ways to reach that part of the game naturally.

This is all gods honest truth. Just get Dominion.

I was not sold on Dominion at first and got Thunderstone Advance instead. Bleh, what a snooze. After playing Androminion on my phone for the last few months I am entirely hooked on Dominion in a way that Thunderstone didn't even approach. Every set-up is a new puzzle, and there's more than enough combinations to last until the heat death of the universe. I am buying the entire game, every expansion and sleeves for all of it

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I’m playing Quantum for the first time in a while with my group tomorrow. Had a bit of a rough experience with it the last time we played (was the first time we played the game) due to some ridiculously bad luck and us not realizing how big of a threat a runaway leader could be.

I remember when I mentioned it before, some people mentioned some house rules they play with to help alleviate some of the initial randomness of the opening configurations. Anyone mind reposing some of those suggestions? I vaguely recall allowing some kind of manipulation of starting dice (re-rolls?) and also starting with an ability I think. Otherwise, looking forward to getting the game on the table again after quite a while of not having played it!

That's interesting, I presume you were playing with four players? How big of a lead did they get?

The game allows you to re-roll all of your dice at the start if you like, but I can't imagine how everyone agreeing on a preset configuration would hurt at all.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is supposed to be a kickstarter for an Arctic Scavengers expansion that would have the base game at a certain pledge level, but it's weird. Rio Grande Games doesn't want to publish the expansion but have given the designer permission to KS it. There has been no response to the BGG thread since October so I'm not getting my hopes up. SUSD pretty much steamrolls the available stock of a game if they create hype so it's something to beware of.

Last word on it is that the designer added some more stuff to the expansion and put it back in front of RGG. He seems confident that they'll actually pick it up.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Azran posted:

One thing to note is that I'm used to complex rules - I've played miniature wargames like Warmachine pretty regularly the last years, while picking up on new games pretty fast. Is any of the Dominion expansions "vital" or anything? I know that Intrigue gets talked a lot here.

What would be the ideal and top amount of players, by the way?

Intrigue might be a good starting point for you if you want something a little more complex (it stands alone), and that way if you like it you can later get the Big Box (Base + Alchemy + Prosperity). So similarly, I'd recommend Cornucopia or Hinterlands or Seaside as first expansions. Don't buy Dark Ages / Guilds until the end.

The ideal player count is 2-3, but 4 is ok for a more casual game. With Base + Intrigue (or an extra set of base cards) the rules support 5-6 but it's really awful and you should play 2 games, or something else.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

To expand:

3: learn that (absent things slowing it down) there's a fairly hard time limit to the game. If you just buy treasure and provinces/duchies according to an algorithm (3+: silver, 6+, gold, 8+ Province, when at least half the provinces are gone, 5 or less, duchies, I think it is) you will have enough points to win in 14 turns, on average. Engine-building is great fun but unless you have someway to either outpace 14 turns and be in the lead when you end the game, or to hoover up LOTS of VP after that time limit has expired or to slow your opponent(s) down, you will lose by building an engine.

4: learn trashing. This one's often key, because it takes a leap of logic to get to the point where you really understand why Chapel is a TOTALLY game-changing card which would probably be balanced at cost 5 or even 6, but costs 2 to make the game FUN for everyone. And why +2 cards, +1 action, trash 1 card would be fairly overpowered even at 5.

5: learn to recognise the key cards on a board which define its character - are there a couple of good draw cards and a village? It might be an engine board. Are there lots of attacks, or cheap VP like Gardens, Silk Road with things to enable it (card gainers, +buy)? It's likely to be a slog board. Are there ways to massively reduce costs (bridge, horn of plenty) for a small amount of time? It might be a megaturn board.

6: Learn how to build towards engines and megaturns. In short, get the payload first, because the payload will work regardless of whether the rest of the engine is working. This is an expansion on the 'don't buy village' concept - you only need as many +action cards (villages, but also things like throne room, king's court, procession) as you have terminal action card *which appear in the same hand with them* - i.e. if you buy village after your first bridge, it's probably a wasted buy, because a second bridge probably wouldn't clash with the first one and would give you the bridge benefit twice per shuffle, where village/bridge would only give it once.

7: (getting more advanced): control your deck. Know roughly what the composition of your draw deck is at any given time - have you used both your Smithies this shuffle, or only one? If you have 3 cards left and your PLAY a Smithy, will you draw actions you can't play? Conversely, will you draw green cards and improve your next hand? Knowing when to reshuffle is also vital. If you're playing a BIIIG engine (Hunting Party often being a culprit as it dumps lovely cards into discard), then reshuffling in the middle of your turn means your next hand will be full of crap, because all your stuff in play isn't going into your draw deck.

8: Always be aware of the endgame, and try, if you can, to be aware of whether you're ahead or not. It's not a game about having the most points at the end, it's a game of *ending the game whilst you have the most points*. It's a subtle but important distinction, and it means being on the lookout for the three pile even if you could carry on draining provinces, or buying the last province even if you're in the middle of getting your engine firing, as long as it means you end the game whilst you're ahead. Forcing the game to end to your advantage is a crucial skill.

9: My final point; learn a few of the key cards and 2-card combos. Minion, for instance, is an engine all by itself on a lot of boards (I mean come on, it's in the game name - Do Minion). Goons is an insanely powerful card with the right support. King's Court is ludicrous (but only with the right actions to play it on). Rebuild is ridiculous. Then things like Native Village/Bridge, Beggar/Gardens, Horse Traders/Duke, Apprentice/Fortress, etc etc etc. Knowing what people are going to be fighting for is very important.

That'll do for now. The real problem with learning high-level dominion these days is that the online implementations suck balls, so it's difficult to get a lot of games in a short time, which I found to be the only real way to get past certain skill barriers.
And yeah, dominion owns, buy dominion, there are no better deckbuilders than dominion, all you other deckbuilders are just imitating. But you will quickly find yourself buying a LOT of expansions, and one real issue with it his how much space it takes up. And that it only goes up to 4 players and still plays decently, and is by FAR at its best with only two. E: I'd probably look at Hinterlands as being an interesting starting point. It contains at least one way to make every major game type, so it's a good place to begin learning the differences.

Eminent Domain with the expansion is decent but I find it a lot less replayable than Dominion.

Thunderstone is themey and fun but not good and almost entirely arbitrary as to who wins.

Trains lacks significant interest for me because of the absence of the Actions step in Dominion. Being able to play everything without worrying about how it all fits together is just meh. The board is cute though.

Legendary is great if you're a marvel head, OK as a deckbuilder, but a bit prone to being frustratingly awkward (not difficult) if played on full random because you wind up with situations like villains that need certain attack types to take them out and no heroes with that attack type, or team-based heroes with a lot of buffs based on allies, appearing alone.

Mage Knight does merit a mention here though - deckbuilding is only a part of its mechanics, but it's a fantastic game that uses the deckbuilding concept in a much more effective way than any of the deckbuilders I've played except for Dominion and EmiDo.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 9, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Azran posted:

One thing to note is that I'm used to complex rules - I've played miniature wargames like Warmachine pretty regularly the last years, while picking up on new games pretty fast. Is any of the Dominion expansions "vital" or anything? I know that Intrigue gets talked a lot here.

None of the individual Dominion expansions is vital, though sooner or later you'll probably want at least one. Intrigue comes with a second set of base cards, so it's vital if you have a group of 5-8 regularly and will want to play a game with 5-6 (you don't) or split into two tables (you do). The best options for a (first) expansion are Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, and Hinterlands. There's not much point picking up a half-size expansion early, and Dark Ages owns but feels completely different from regular Dominion so it should be saved for later.

It's ideal with 2-3, shouldn't go above 4. A lot of people swear by 2 as the One True Playercount for Dominion, but I think a lot of them just got really used to 2-player games on Isotropic, because 3 feels just as good to me and makes the kingdom pile you want being drained a much more serious concern because it happens more often and more quickly. 4 is a bit jankier because there are only 3 Provinces/player instead of 4 and because piles drain so quickly, but the game still works fine. 5+ is an exercise in pain.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How well does Eminent Domain scale with player count? Is it good with 2?

EmiDo's pretty good with 2. It scales phenomenally well because of the nature of Role-Taking as a mechanic.

If you're not familiar (ie: haven't played Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, etc), the way Role-Taking works is that during a given player's turn, they take an available action from a menu. After/while that player takes that action, all other players at the table get to simultaneously take lesser powered versions of the same action. This both means that downtime is very low in these games (because it's essentially always your turn), and interactivity is pretty direct because you can purposely plan around your opponents giving you bonus actions.

Azran posted:

Okay, so every Dominion expansion is amazing except Alchemy. Not only are they all amazing, but they get better over the development cycle, so the best way to buy them is to get them in release order. They also get more high level as the dev cycle goes on, so by skipping straight to Guilds you might not have the experience necessary to really appreciate the tools provided.

Alchemy's okay. It has 2 cards that aren't completely degenerate by design, 1 of which is pretty good (Herbalist) and the other is pretty amazing (Apprentice). The rest of the set is full of crazy poo poo that I don't have the patience to explain this time, just paw through the previous BG thread for details.

Dominion is designed for 3 players, but people play it perfectly fine at 2. 4 players is functional, but above that and just split into multiple games. Dominion + Intrigue technically supports 6 players, but you have enough poo poo to just run a pair of 3-man games at that point and they'll go by faster.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Can anyone compare Eminent Domain and Core Worlds? (Assuming they have anything in common..)

Core Worlds has little to nothing to do with EmiDo other than they both have space themes and both claim to be deckbuilders.

Core Worlds is basically Ascension but you're attacking things and you have a tableau with attack stats on it. Same Ascension problems with a different coat of paint. Boy, deckbuilders that give random players advantages because the market gave them better options sure are fun! I certainly love unnecessary luck components jammed into an initially amazing design concept!

EmiDo is very, very different from other DBs. The closest thing to "buying" cards that you do is done as part of a technology upgrade role you can take. Most of the cards you will see are role cards which correspond to the basic available actions of the game (Survey, Warfare, Colonize, Produce/Trade, Research), of which there are about 20 in each stack. Whenever you claim a role, you take another copy of that card and you can boost the role's effect by playing cards with identical icons (usually copies of the role card) from your hand. If somebody else claims a role, you can choose to also use the action out of turn by playing cards with that role's icons from hand. There are multiple scoring avenues which largely require taking over worlds, trading goods, and researching high-level techs, but all of these require a balance of multiple roles. Since taking a role is mandatory on your turn, you'll find your deck getting bloated toward a specific strategy naturally over time.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Jesus Christ, like 5 people posted at the same time right there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Crackbone posted:

If you want babby's first deckbuilder but refuse to get Dominion, just get Star Realms.

Disclaimer: I don't think it's a good game, but:

- It's simple
- It has *SPACESHIPS* for people who must have LAZEERS in their games.
- It's cheap as poo poo, so you can get much the same experience of other crappy deckbuilders at a reduced price.

Quoted for truth. It is a perfectly serviceable center-market deckbuilder that has the same problems as other center-market deckbuilders. The advantages are that it's much simpler, faster, cheaper, and an often overlooked benefit smaller. There's no big box, no tokens to carry around or lose. You can carry it around in a box about the size of a large CCG deck, and everything you need to play is in there.

I think it has been improved (by my estimation, may be false) by not trying to 'replace' Dominion, but instead trying to scratch a simpler, more luck based, less strategic itch. It may seem like I'm trying to drat the game with faint praise, but I am really enjoying it so far.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Somberbrero posted:

That's interesting, I presume you were playing with four players? How big of a lead did they get?

The game allows you to re-roll all of your dice at the start if you like, but I can't imagine how everyone agreeing on a preset configuration would hurt at all.

It was a 3 player game, and it was a couple months ago so I don't remember all the details exactly - but basically I didn't get any configurations that allowed me to take a planet beyond my first one before someone could beat me to it for the entirety of the game. By the time I realized I should give up on planets and go for an all-out attack plan, one player had a pretty strong white card for combat and I think also the most planets? I posted in the last thread about it, and most of the advice I received was I should have worked with the third player to team up against the dude who was in the lead.

We played another game on a more open map, which gave everyone opportunities to get upgrade cards and get some small cubes down and get a plan setup, and that game went much more smoothly and was way more enjoyable. However my friends kinda got a bad first impression of it, and we had other games to play, so we called it after that. Someone else got a new game right after, and Quantum just kinda fell outta everyone's heads. I've got another group I'm playing with now, and remembered Quantum - none of them have played it, so I'm bringing it along tomorrow to give it another shot. We'll probably have a full 4 players as well.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also want to toss this out there about Dominion - I feel like a lot of people tend to forget the perspective of a new player coming into it and judge the base set on pure hindsight.

Like it is easy now to see the glaring flaws in the base set of Dominion and wish there were a few less duds and a few more interesting choices, but this completely ignores the newbie experience. For example, a new player is not going to see how little interaction there is in the base set because: 1) they will be way too busy trying to figure out how the game works anyway, and 2) they will not realize that more than half of the base set's attack/interatcion cards suck, so they will play them a lot more anyway. Like someone on the last page mentioned how "only Militia and Witch" were interactive, and an experienced player will probably look at a board with Spy and Thief on it and see no interaction because those cards are total duds, but a new player will not see it this way. Thief in particular is a big one that people try to figure out "fixes" for, but they forget what a learning experience Thief is for a new player; at first it seems really powerful and people play it a ton.

Base Dominion is perfect for new players because it is incredibly simple to learn and play and still mechanically strong even compared to newer deck builders. It is also going to be a lot more exciting than experienced players will give it credit for because they are looking at it through the filter of years of experience. The fact that it is expandable into the absolute best deck builder out there is a bonus, not a drawback.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Or if you don't draw Militia and/or Witch in the base game. Which is bound to happen about 90% of the time if you're using random Kingdoms. I agree with the general spirit of the post, but the lack of interaction IS a valid complain for a new player.

What's your 2nd best deckbuilder, by the way? Temporium?

There's a lot more kinds of interaction in dominion than just direct attack cards. Cards in the supply are a limited resource and if there are only a couple of good combos on the board competition for the key cards can get very cutthroat. It's the same principle as a WP game being super competitive even though there aren't usually a lot of ways to directly attack your opponents

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Do people use Spy at all in high-level games? I'm relatively new, and while it doesn't look that great I used it as a jerryrigged non-terminal engine piece when there was nothing else there.

Also on the subject of base-set Dominion: what can really support rush or combo decks? I can see big money, slog, and engine decks, but it seems like there aren't any cards for total gimmick play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

All the best WP games have direct ways to attack your opponents :colbert:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So if I'm deadset on some 4 player Dominion and only have the base set -- Intrigue is my next step I would assume?

Tekopo posted:

All the best WP games have direct ways to attack your opponents :colbert:

What are some of the WPs besides like Dominant Species with tons of player interaction/direct conflict?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

StashAugustine posted:

Do people use Spy at all in high-level games? I'm relatively new, and while it doesn't look that great I used it as a jerryrigged non-terminal engine piece when there was nothing else there.

Also on the subject of base-set Dominion: what can really support rush or combo decks? I can see big money, slog, and engine decks, but it seems like there aren't any cards for total gimmick play.

Spy is like a win-more card with certain other cards and generally is the last thing you pick up when you've alread got all the other pieces you need.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Broken Loose, in the interest of teaching Eminent Domain, should one teach without the expansion, or WITH the expansion? Are they different enough that we can skip straight to the better stuff?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I also want to toss this out there about Dominion - I feel like a lot of people tend to forget the perspective of a new player coming into it and judge the base set on pure hindsight.

Like it is easy now to see the glaring flaws in the base set of Dominion and wish there were a few less duds and a few more interesting choices, but this completely ignores the newbie experience. For example, a new player is not going to see how little interaction there is in the base set because: 1) they will be way too busy trying to figure out how the game works anyway, and 2) they will not realize that more than half of the base set's attack/interatcion cards suck, so they will play them a lot more anyway. Like someone on the last page mentioned how "only Militia and Witch" were interactive, and an experienced player will probably look at a board with Spy and Thief on it and see no interaction because those cards are total duds, but a new player will not see it this way. Thief in particular is a big one that people try to figure out "fixes" for, but they forget what a learning experience Thief is for a new player; at first it seems really powerful and people play it a ton.

Base Dominion is perfect for new players because it is incredibly simple to learn and play and still mechanically strong even compared to newer deck builders. It is also going to be a lot more exciting than experienced players will give it credit for because they are looking at it through the filter of years of experience. The fact that it is expandable into the absolute best deck builder out there is a bonus, not a drawback.

I agree, and honestly I think it's worth stating that total newbies will appreciate something like Marvel Legendary more than us and it's easy to take that for granted.

Edit: I also think Legendary has a little less potential for Village Idiot type of shenanigans than the Dominion base set, which is my only major beef with people learning to play on that. It does have some potential though if you just make a pile of Spider-man, Black Widow, Gambit, Iron Man etc without a real win condition. I guess Spider-man might be the closest to a Village in the base game.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 9, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

T-Bone posted:

What are some of the WPs besides like Dominant Species with tons of player interaction/direct conflict?
Everything you do in a well designed WP game should be in direct opposition to what the other players are playing. In order to do this, the game has to have a scarcity mechanism in order to create situation in which missing an action could potentially screw over your entire game: this creates the required interaction necessary to actually make a WP game work well. So, for a few examples:

- The prime example is, of course, Caylus. Caylus is a well designed game because not only it provides scarcity in resources, but it also provides means of direct competition/interaction in the use of the Provost as well as how the castle/favours work (where you want to be first on the castle queue but doing so means that potential resource spaces you need are taken over). Hell, even passing your turn in Caylus is a strategic, meaningful decision because of how the cost of placing an action increases when you end your turn.
- Dungeon Lords is another good example, although the game is difficult enough that new players sometimes miss the depth of interaction possible. Not only do I need to look at what is a 'safe' option by seeing what other people have locked out, but I can directly screw over people by NOT playing certain cards. The funniest play is when someone has no food AND gold, and needs food that turn, so they play their food need third in the hope that someone else plays food, but the other three players notice this and don't play food. There's so much player interaction in Dungeon Lords it is quite frankly mind-boggling.
- Dungeon Petz has some of the same factors given above, although less so. Still, being able to take up a pet or preventing someone from getting food is pretty funny.
- Agricola is a game that feels completely different depending on who you play it against. I've played it with passive people that only cared about their own stuff and I've played it with a guy that will take advantage of every single opportunity he has to make your people starve. It was quite an education playing with him repeatedly.

WP that don't have these sort of scarcity interactions are, to be honest, not worth playing. If you want to narrow down the definition of 'attacking your opponents' into simply 'killing his dudes', then yeah, sure, that does narrow down the list.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really like Agricola as an intro to worker placement. I think it works for many people, but for some people it's a couple hours of cognitive load just to get pwned by their family starving and they get sour on the genre.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I agree, and honestly I think it's worth stating that total newbies will appreciate something like Marvel Legendary more than us and it's easy to take that for granted.

Sure, and that might come down to familiarity with the characters or the excitement of the theme or whatever, and obviously I am not going to challenge anyone for personally liking a game better. But as someone who has more experience I would recommend Dominion over it because I think it is a richer game mechanically, the depth increases the longevity, and it expands wonderfully. Marvel might be great for someone going to an FLGS game night or something to try things out, but if someone is purchasing a game because they want to ease themselves into the hobby, I am going to recommend Dominion over any other deckbuilder 100% of the time. Also a lot of critiques being levied against the base set in particular are based on years of hindsight that a new player will not have, so it is going to be a more exciting experience than it is getting credit for.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Azran posted:

I tried to get Arctic Scavengers but a) it is like $79.99 and b) it doesn't ship to my country. :( Same thing with Tales of the Arabian Knights.

Which country? I may be able to sell you mine.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

good stuff

Thanks. These all comprise (along with Dominant Species and Archipelago) pretty much the top of my WP wishlist after we get tired of Waterdeep. How do Rosenberg's other WPs (Caverna/Le Havre/Ora Et Labora) compare to Agricola?

A few other neat looking WPs (Lewis & Clark, Keyflower, and Francis Drake) are sitting five minutes away from me at my FLGS so that's kind of tempting too. Anyone have any experience with them? Francis Drake's box weighs like 20 pounds.

also goddamn does Alchemists look fun -- print before I run out of money please

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StashAugustine posted:

Not a lot. According to councilroom data people who buy it are marginally less likely to win, and people who ignore it are marginally more likely to win. Which is really unsurprising given that its attack is usually very low-return unless there's something it's really comboing with/fighting against (say, Wandering Minstrel) and its effect for the player is almost ignorable.

Card Availability Buys Gains % + Trashes Returns Win Rate with Win Rate without Turns Turns (C)
Spy 1637710 0.87 0.23 46.6 0.05 0.0 0.95 ± 0.00 1.04 ± 0.00 20.58 ± 0.01 22.71 ± 0.03

e: http://councilroom.com/popular_buys is a great way to work out whether it's worth bothering to buy a card or not in dominion.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

WP that don't have these sort of scarcity interactions are, to be honest, not worth playing. If you want to narrow down the definition of 'attacking your opponents' into simply 'killing his dudes', then yeah, sure, that does narrow down the list.

That's exactly what I was doing, to point out that just killing someone's dudes is like, the least important way to screw over the other guy in a lot of games. My point is, if you call a WP game non-interactive because you're not directly putting a shiv in his boys you're missing the point, and Dominion's the same way to a much smaller degree

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So can I just buy Intrigue and not the base dominion if it comes with a set of the base cards itself?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goodness posted:

So can I just buy Intrigue and not the base dominion if it comes with a set of the base cards itself?

Yes, but if you've never played before you'll want to start with the base set anyway. It's a lot better at easing new players into the game and helping them get used to all the basic ways you can make an engine. Intrigue's the better set once you've got that down, but it's less good at doing that than the base set is

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Base Dominion still contains one of the strongest rush decks in Workshop/Gardens. You can reasonably three pile before a BM player takes their fourth province on Turn 14/15.

If the kingdom contains Workshop, Gardens, Village, open double Workshop. If you can, pick up 2 workshops, 2 villages on the next pass through the deck. Then devour Gardens, Estates, and whatever third pile you can manage (usually Workshop or Village).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

rchandra posted:

Intrigue might be a good starting point for you if you want something a little more complex (it stands alone), and that way if you like it you can later get the Big Box (Base + Alchemy + Prosperity). So similarly, I'd recommend Cornucopia or Hinterlands or Seaside as first expansions. Don't buy Dark Ages / Guilds until the end.

The ideal player count is 2-3, but 4 is ok for a more casual game. With Base + Intrigue (or an extra set of base cards) the rules support 5-6 but it's really awful and you should play 2 games, or something else.

I find 4 takes a bit too long between turns, but agree with the rest of this post.

Alchemy should be the very last expansion that you buy.

Fungah! posted:

There's a lot more kinds of interaction in dominion than just direct attack cards. Cards in the supply are a limited resource and if there are only a couple of good combos on the board competition for the key cards can get very cutthroat. It's the same principle as a WP game being super competitive even though there aren't usually a lot of ways to directly attack your opponents

Yes, but a new player won't see that until he gets relatively good, which was the point I was trying to make. WP placement games make this much more obvious because other player got there first and then you can't get you reed/stone/quest and then you're screwed. To a new player, base Dominion can look like every player is doing his own little thing until one says "finished", especially if you remove attack cards from the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

goodness posted:

Yeah, Intrigue and the base Dominion box are both stand alone.