Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

sullat posted:

Y'all are letting your civilization biases show. Just go back 18000 years or so, find some tribe, make charcoal draw8ngs of dickbutt. Be treated as a wizard, get all the BBQ mammoth you can eat.

Being beaten to death because I'm a funny-looking stranger lacks appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tomn posted:

Were the Hapsburgs at all aware of the dangers of inbreeding? I'd have thought that animal husbandry was advanced enough at that point that farmers or dog-breeders at least knew better than to inbreed too often. Was that not the case, or did the Hapsburgs just ignore that for whatever reason?
Dog breeders today don't seem to be aware, or if they are no fucks are given.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Is that depression in the inbred, depression in those studying it or both?

It's this

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

Being beaten to death because I'm a funny-looking stranger lacks appeal.

That's going to be a risk in almost any era. I guess "stabbed" to death is more likely once metal tools become widespread, but clubbing is/ was always popular.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not really. The pointy rock is one of mans oldest friends, as evidenced by the prehistoric skeletons with flint arrowheads in them.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Davin Valkri posted:

That's actually a thing that happened? I thought Voltaire made it up as a joke about every noble's personal guard consisted of really tall people. Would 6'3" be considered "very tall" in this period?

Even nowadays, it's considered pretty tall. In Western Europe, most folks would have been around 5'7" or so. Anybody over 6' would have been at least a head taller than the average person.

George Washington was about 6'2" and Abe Lincoln was about 6'4". By modern standards, that's still above average, although its not unheard of. For that period, it was loving huge, hence why period writers frequently mention those mens' height.

And if you were 6-foot+ in Asia you'd be a loving giant

e: have a (totally unscientific) comparison of heights from coalition troops during the Boxer Rebellion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What kind of arrangement did people use for pike and shot formations? I figured the soldiers would stand in rows with an alternating pattern of pikemen and musketeers, or pike, musket, musket, pike, musket, etc. But then I saw a diagram with all the pikemen in the middle and all the musketeers on the sides. What advantage would this practice have? Wouldn't the gunmen on the flanks be vulnerable to a sudden charge by cavalry or pikemen?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Everyone is standing far enough apart to allow movement, so if your sleeve of muskets is getting attacked, they can all fall back inside the pikes. We all have this image of them standing shoulder to shoulder but in reality they had to be well spaced. I have this pet hypothesis that pikemen under attack (particularly inexperienced ones) would close up together seeking shelter from musket fire. It seems to have happened in Ireland anyway, the standard practise was to heavily skirmish with shotte then once the opposing pikemen were tied up, launch a charge with swordsmen.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

Everyone is standing far enough apart to allow movement, so if your sleeve of muskets is getting attacked, they can all fall back inside the pikes. We all have this image of them standing shoulder to shoulder but in reality they had to be well spaced.
With the pike supported in your right hand, stick your left arm out straight and brush your neighbor's shoulder with the tip of your longest finger; that's the width of your Gasse.

quote:

I have this pet hypothesis that pikemen under attack (particularly inexperienced ones) would close up together seeking shelter from musket fire.
Also I at least tend to drift slightly to the right whenever I don't catch myself because of the way the stance works. If other people do that too, that could also lead to bunching. (Musketeers don't bunch because a musketeer's most common reaction to the presence of his companions is fear.)

Edit: Chamale, there's a bunch of things you can do, but I have never seen a formation like you describe, either in a manual or in person. Because of who I reenact with I'm most familiar with the "Swedish wedge," which is six deep, pike in the middle and shot to either side. Sometimes they fire by rotation or at will, sometimes they walk in front of us, double their ranks so they're three deep, the first rank kneels, then they fire all together. This incredibly new, incredibly impressive thing is called a "salvee."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 9, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What the largest number of people you guys have gotten together?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

What the largest number of people you guys have gotten together?
According to some Dutch guy who put my Hauptmann on his mailing list, more than 1,300 of us are coming to the largest reenactment in Europe this October. And since the Dutch pay you to reenact, I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: The rolls are closed now but I know someone who might be able to massage the data a little, if you're interested.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: The rolls are closed now but I know someone who might be able to massage the data a little, if you're interested.

Hah that sounds incredible, but I doubt I could do it. My only experience of pretending to be a cool old timey person is working as an extra on the show Vikings.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rabhadh posted:

Hah that sounds incredible, but I doubt I could do it. My only experience of pretending to be a cool old timey person is working as an extra on the show Vikings.

So, who brutally murdered you with an axe?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Chamale, there's a bunch of things you can do, but I have never seen a formation like you describe, either in a manual or in person.

One time you mentioned that two muskets for every pike was considered a good ratio, so I was basing my assumptions off that. I was picturing a bunch of pikemen holding off cavalry while musketmen shot at everyone else, and now I realize how much harder that would be to coordinate than the separate blocks with alleys in the ranks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

One time you mentioned that two muskets for every pike was considered a good ratio, so I was basing my assumptions off that. I was picturing a bunch of pikemen holding off cavalry while musketmen shot at everyone else, and now I realize how much harder that would be to coordinate than the separate blocks with alleys in the ranks.
We and they are directed separately. Someone gives commands to all of us, then beneath that we have our corporal and they have their corporals (since there's more of them).

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

my dad posted:

So, who brutally murdered you with an axe?

Nobody :( 60+ of us did shieldwall training which was amazing but I had to miss the actual filming of the battle scenes due to college. I don't even think I was visible in the scenes I did get to film. Being an extra is boring as poo poo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Groda posted:

No, that period is pretty much the George RR Martin back catalog.

Hear, hear. If we weren't slaughtering each other, we got our poo poo together for long enough for Germans and Swedes to kill us :denmark:

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 9, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Germans attack on the Aisne, causing momentary panic before it's realised that they don't have any reserves to follow it up. The landings on Mafia go quietly, Cardinal Mercier continues driving the news agenda, and A Page For Women is worried that people aren't wearing enough hats.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What happens if the officers get shot in these big complicated combined arms formations? Wouldn't everything fall apart?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Agean90 posted:

Not really. The pointy rock is one of mans oldest friends, as evidenced by the prehistoric skeletons with flint arrowheads in them.

Beg pardon, but those were religious rituals.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oa.1390040306/abstract

Shooting dudes with pointy rocks for a religious ritual is still shooting dudes with pointy rocks.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

e: have a (totally unscientific) comparison of heights from coalition troops during the Boxer Rebellion.

From their eyelines it looks like the Sikh soldier fourth from the left is actually shorter than the guy next to him, but they ranked him as taller because they were counting his turban. Which is really funny to me for some reason.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hat height counts, intimidation factor!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

EvanSchenck posted:

From their eyelines it looks like the Sikh soldier fourth from the left is actually shorter than the guy next to him, but they ranked him as taller because they were counting his turban. Which is really funny to me for some reason.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also I wonder how much of the height of the British guy is also his hat.

I suppose this is what inspired the pickelhaube.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Agean90 posted:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oa.1390040306/abstract

Shooting dudes with pointy rocks for a religious ritual is still shooting dudes with pointy rocks.

I was making a joke about the go-to explanation when the explanation of an excavated thing is not immediately obvious. :saddowns:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

It totally does:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rabhadh posted:

I was totally going to do that the first year but then I got a phone call at 7PM one evening saying "hey, be on this beach in Wicklow for 5AM tomorrow! BAI!" and just... didn't. Apparently it was good fun though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was making a joke about the go-to explanation when the explanation of an excavated thing is not immediately obvious. :saddowns:

i am not a smart person :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Fangz posted:

I suppose this is what inspired the pickelhaube.

Actually, it was IIRC designed as a cheap way to guard against overhead saber strikes from cavalry - they'd glance off the spike.

And the tall grenadier hats were because a tricorn or similar would have gotten in the way of them throwing grenades.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love the fact that Hussar braids were also designed to deflect the blow of a saber. The British helmet of the Victorian era was more or less really just fulfilling the role of stopping the sun frying the brain.

Victorian era soldiers had a fuckload of head accessories. I'm not making this up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Assuming you are English/American and can read/write fairly well and otherwise know your sums, your path to prosperity at some point in the past probably depends on the answer to the question "How okay are you with Slavery?"

Lots of people got very rich off the Atlantic trade.

Mostly people with the money to buy the ships, though, rather than the people at the pointy end. Life as an actual sailor on a slave ship sucked balls. Not as bad as being the cargo, of course, but fatalities per trip were still pretty high and unlike the slaves you were making the journey more than once.

So, yeah, you'd need to make your seed money first with a mill or amazing advances in steam generation or whatever then you can make mad bank being a literally evil person. :whip:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 9, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Mostly people with the money to buy the ships, though, rather than the people at the pointy end. Life as an actual sailor on a slave ship sucked balls. Not as bad as being the cargo, of course, but fatalities per trip were still pretty high and unlike the slaves you were making the journey more than once.

So, yeah, you'd need to make your seed money first with a mill or amazing advances in steam generation or whatever then you can make mad bank being a literally evil person. :whip:

Nah, you'd just leverage your maths skills to be an accountant and your absorbed wisdom of the concept of 'futures' and how capitalism works to work your way up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

feedmegin posted:

To get your seed money, copy the poo poo out of Harrison's marine chronometer, go back to 1720, and win yourself £20,000. Or just take back plans for this mechanical calculator and blow everybody's nips off. Just watch out for ol' Newton calling you a wizard or some poo poo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Somehow, I feel like all of our adventures in history would be a lot less Lest Darkness Fall and a lot more The Man Who Came Early, if you know what I mean.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rincewind posted:

The Man Who Came Early, if you know what I mean.

:haw: everyone runs into the ol' interruptus once.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Rincewind posted:

Somehow, I feel like all of our adventures in history would be a lot less Lest Darkness Fall and a lot more The Man Who Came Early, if you know what I mean.

I don't know what you mean. :( Could you explain?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Nah, you'd just leverage your maths skills to be an accountant and your absorbed wisdom of the concept of 'futures' and how capitalism works to work your way up.

Yeah, commodities futures would make you enormously wealthy within a few years.

Heck, just knowing that you need to keep grain dry (so fix the roof and keep it on a platform a little off the ground and circulate some air around it) and that most years the crop somewhere will be poor and elsewhere will be great will make you enormously wealthy really quickly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Davin Valkri posted:

"Lest Darkness Fall" is an alt-history novel in which a history professor finds himself just on the cusp of the "Dark Ages" (the book was written back in 1920 or so, when the Dark Ages was still considered a thing), whereupon he proceeds to try and change history by introducing the printing press to ensure that "darkness does not fall." To get there, he raises seed money by building a distillery, introducing double-entry bookkeeping, and trading on his predictions of the future for political favors.

"The Man Who Came Early" is a story I haven't read yet but have been meaning to get around to, but if I recall aright it's about a US soldier who gets sent back in time to...I want to say Viking-era Iceland, somewhere in that region. He tries to use his knowledge of the future to improve conditions, but he soon finds that he doesn't actually have the practical knowledge, resources, or infrastructure to make what the locals would find useful, and what he CAN make the locals aren't really interested in, while his proposed social reforms just go over everybody's heads.

So in other words, she's saying that if any given one of us were sent to the past, we'd most likely be hosed since we couldn't actually put most of our knowledge to use, as opposed to becoming kingpins thanks to FutureTech.

I highly recommend picking up Lest Darkness Fall, incidentally - it was written back when alt-history stories didn't take themselves so seriously and weren't as obsessed with superior military hardware blasting the hell out of the backwards, barbarous natives of the past. It's just a simple, light-hearted romp through time and space.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Davin Valkri posted:

It's a sci fi story about a dude who goes back in time and, because it's a different culture with different ways of doing things, fucks up a lot. He isn't a super-being compared to the primitives, he just sucks and so would we (probably) (except me).

Tomn posted:

"The Man Who Came Early" is a story I haven't read yet but have been meaning to get around to, but if I recall aright it's about a US soldier who gets sent back in time to...I want to say Viking-era Iceland, somewhere in that region. He tries to use his knowledge of the future to improve conditions, but he soon finds that he doesn't actually have the practical knowledge, resources, or infrastructure to make what the locals would find useful, and what he CAN make the locals aren't really interested in, while his proposed social reforms just go over everybody's heads.
Actually, he can't make poo poo because although he's interested in metalworking he has no idea how to work the kind of furnaces they have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I swear I saw an episode of the Twilight Zone once where this guy is obsessed with the Napoleonic Wars, fantasizes about being a brilliant commander if he was there, etc. He's somehow sent back in time and takes part in a battle only to be shot immediately and he has a limb amputated or something. I might have made this up entirely but either way, something like that is basically what I picture happening to most people if they ever went back in time.

• Locked thread