Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

mayodreams posted:

My understanding is that you need only one copy of data center per virtual host, be it Hyper-V or VMware, and you can have unlimited virtual instances on that host. Then again, Microsoft licensing is black magic, so who really knows.

One copy of datacenter edition per CPU socket of the host (any hypervisor). Most people qualify for some kind of discount. You should work with your VAR to actually see what kind of pricing you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Okay thank god, 2012 Std licensing gives you 2008 R2 Enterprise downgrade rights...

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

parid posted:

One copy of datacenter edition per CPU socket of the host (any hypervisor). Most people qualify for some kind of discount. You should work with your VAR to actually see what kind of pricing you can get.

I don't think that's right any more. With 2012 R2 they changed it from per socket to per-server (more precisely per pair of sockets :rolleyes:) That ~$6k price covers any two-socket server with unlimited Windows guests.

Wicaeed posted:

Okay thank god, 2012 Std licensing gives you 2008 R2 Enterprise downgrade rights...
Yeah, the ONLY difference between 2012 R2 standard and datacenter is virtualization rights, and it's nice that they reflected that in the downgrade rights. But if you're already running these on VMware, you should look at Datacenter licensing anyways. It breaks even at ~5 VMs per host.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

KS posted:

I don't think that's right any more. With 2012 R2 they changed it from per socket to per-server (more precisely per pair of sockets :rolleyes:) That ~$6k price covers any two-socket server with unlimited Windows guests.

Woah, nice! I'm going to look into that. I may be paying support on way too many copies of Datacenter.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

parid posted:

Woah, nice! I'm going to look into that. I may be paying support on way too many copies of Datacenter.

I'll make it easy.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/3/9/F39124F7-0177-463C-8A08-582463F96C9D/Windows_Server_2012_R2_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf

2nd page, right side chart, bottom line.

Also 2nd page, left column, bottom paragraph.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KS posted:

I'll make it easy.

Said no one ever when it comes to Microsoft licensing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jeoh posted:

All you lollygagging young'uns complaining about Microsoft licensing need to try pricing a datacenter-wide IBM product rollout by Processor Value Units.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Jeoh posted:

Boy, isn't that the truth. I'm simultaneously dealing with a VDI deployment (so VDA subscriptions or SA) plus potentially moving laptops to Enterprise for Direct Access, plus negotiating Office 365, plus server licensing. I want to shoot myself.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Misogynist posted:

All you lollygagging young'uns complaining about Microsoft licensing need to try pricing a datacenter-wide IBM product rollout by Processor Value Units.

Or Oracle. "Is a core 75% of a normal processor or is that hyperthreading". pfffff

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

We manage about 40 Hyper-V hosts and a handful of ESX hosts (work in an MSP)
Yes, the datacentre licensing for hyper-v is pretty nice and can save you alot of money, especially if you work to the ideal of "split this stuff across as many servers as possible"

Theres just alot of poo poo that annoys me about Hyper-V. Stuff like you can't see the ram/cpu usage of a server unless you jump onto each one and start running cmd/powershell commands, or you can drop $10k USD on System center to look at it.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I work with a very large Hyper-V installation. Multiple cluster.... over 1200 VMs. Its not going to blow anyone's skirt up but its a fine alternative to Vmware.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Syano posted:

I work with a very large Hyper-V installation. Multiple cluster.... over 1200 VMs. Its not going to blow anyone's skirt up but its a fine alternative to Vmware.

I'm assuming you have System Center? How are you backing up VMs and what do are you using for HA?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I'm assuming you have System Center? How are you backing up VMs and what do are you using for HA?

Yes we have system center. Backups are done with Netbackup. We don't back up whole VMs though. We only do application level backups. HA is taken care of via normal means. Everything is on shared storage and Hyper-V clusters.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Or Oracle. "Is a core 75% of a normal processor or is that hyperthreading". pfffff

And when did you purchase that proces--:suicide:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mayodreams posted:

My understanding is that you need only one copy of data center per virtual host, be it Hyper-V or VMware, and you can have unlimited virtual instances on that host. Then again, Microsoft licensing is black magic, so who really knows.

This is our current understanding as well. When we redid our EA with Microsoft, even though we run VMware on the physical hosts, we have a datacenter license assigned to each physical host and we're covered 100%. MS signed off on it, and their licensing crew explained that it was cool.

Misogynist posted:

I can't imagine, we have enough trouble with our Cognos licensing. I don't know much about it, but we have a consultant trying to figure out ILMT right now. I try to avoid anything to do with the IBM application itself and just support the VMware/Microsoft OS side of things.

I think IBM didn't allow us to renew maintenance on it without a full blown audit of our entire network. I'm not sure, my boss and the BI team handle that stuff.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skipdogg posted:

I can't imagine, we have enough trouble with our Cognos licensing. I don't know much about it, but we have a consultant trying to figure out ILMT right now. I try to avoid anything to do with the IBM application itself and just support the VMware/Microsoft OS side of things.
Imagine IBM pricing every POWER system at 1 processor unit so you get a deal on Tivoli, then turning the screws as you slowly migrate to x86, with every additional SMP core being counted, then every additional SMT core, so it's 2012 and you can't even buy a server with less than 8 "cores", so your licensing costs have gone from $1M/yr to $15M/yr,

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evol262 posted:

Imagine IBM pricing every POWER system at 1 processor unit so you get a deal on Tivoli, then turning the screws as you slowly migrate to x86, with every additional SMP core being counted, then every additional SMT core, so it's 2012 and you can't even buy a server with less than 8 "cores", so your licensing costs have gone from $1M/yr to $15M/yr,

See boneheaded moves. And they wonder why people are not buying IBM anymore. We had Tivoli backup, my god the per TB licensing was insane.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

TSM pricing on SONAS is pretty nice because they count the interface nodes as standard backup clients, even though your cluster might have petabytes of GPFS behind it. The second you start trying to build your own infrastructure instead of using the ecosystem that your IBM reseller gives you, though, better get a discount card at the liquor store.

Also, gently caress SONAS.

skipdogg posted:

I think IBM didn't allow us to renew maintenance on it without a full blown audit of our entire network. I'm not sure, my boss and the BI team handle that stuff.
They'll usually let a VAR do it, and you can usually get the VAR to do it for free if there's a promise of them taking over your maintenance contract.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I have installed some VMs via KVM on a Fedora 21 host. I want to know how much I can strip down the host system while keeping the ability to use graphical VMs. Does the host need X installed? I assume it doesn't need a desktop environment, since the VMs can be managed with libvirt's cli tools. Are the requirements the same for local and vnc use?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I have installed some VMs via KVM on a Fedora 21 host. I want to know how much I can strip down the host system while keeping the ability to use graphical VMs. Does the host need X installed? I assume it doesn't need a desktop environment, since the VMs can be managed with libvirt's cli tools. Are the requirements the same for local and vnc use?

You can use a minimal install plus the virtualization group, though you'd probably be ok just with virt-manager's dependencies.

You need xauth (and only xauth) if you want to use virt-manager over ssh.

Or you can manage libvirt from a remote system over qemu+ssh.

Or enable "vnc_listen" in qemu.conf, get the vnc port with "virsh dumpxml $vm" or "virsh vncdisplay $vm" and connect to that.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Thanks, that is so helpful. Now, what would I do if I wanted to use the VMs from the machine itself?

Edit: Wait, is that what your last option was for?

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 12, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thanks, that is so helpful. Now, what would I do if I wanted to use the VMs from the machine itself?

Edit: Wait, is that what your last option was for?

You mean creating and running vms from a vt? You can do it over remote X with xauth. Or use ganeti. Or ovirt. Or kimchi, which is intended for this.

Or if you want plain libvirt on a minimal install, you can create the libvirt XML by hand or use python-virtinst, which is a lot easier/nicer. Specify "console=ttyS0" in grub. VMs have serial attached by default, so configuring a serial console in the guest followed by "virsh console $vm" will work if you don't wanna use ssh or other means for some reason.

Do you want graphical guests? Detailing exactly what you want (how to manage vms, create them, get consoles, graphical or serial console on guests) would help me answer.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Ah, I'm good now. I was mistakenly making the association that vnc = remote. You've given me more than enough to work with, but just since you asked:

This is basically a light home server / htpc. I need at least some of the vms to be graphical. So far I have one Fedora VM installed and working. My first goal is to convert my host to "minimum install plus virtualization group" without losing the ability to use my (graphical) VM from the host. From there, I'll try using virt-install to add windows, centos and freebsd vms. Once I have that working I want to tackle vga-passthrough for my nvidia. I don't really care about remote use.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ah, I'm good now. I was mistakenly making the association that vnc = remote. You've given me more than enough to work with, but just since you asked:

This is basically a light home server / htpc. I need at least some of the vms to be graphical. So far I have one Fedora VM installed and working. My first goal is to convert my host to "minimum install plus virtualization group" without losing the ability to use my (graphical) VM from the host. From there, I'll try using virt-install to add windows, centos and freebsd vms. Once I have that working I want to tackle vga-passthrough for my nvidia. I don't really care about remote use.

Ah, ok.

KVM doesn't require anything host-side to have/use graphical guests. Even Virtualbox doesn't, actually.

Make sure IOMMU/VT-d is working, and passthrough should be a gimme. If you don't have VT-d/IOMMU, though, you're dead in the water.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, i'm looking to do some virtual lab stuff, and I want to make sure I don't need anything else on my computer:

i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz (Should I drop the overclock?)
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

2x 1TB spare drives for separating out storage for the VMs.

I am thinking I might put in a new larger SSD in as my primary, and possibly use the smaller SSD as the jumping off point for my VMs. Is there anything else I need to add/remove?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, i'm looking to do some virtual lab stuff, and I want to make sure I don't need anything else on my computer:

i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz (Should I drop the overclock?)
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

2x 1TB spare drives for separating out storage for the VMs.

I am thinking I might put in a new larger SSD in as my primary, and possibly use the smaller SSD as the jumping off point for my VMs. Is there anything else I need to add/remove?

Double the memory, skip the SSD, depending on what you wanna lab.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Double the memory, skip the SSD, depending on what you wanna lab.
Or go with a much larger SSD if you don't mind stopping and starting your VMs when you need them. 120 GB is gonna run you like three VMs unless you're doing little thin-provisioned Linux things in Vagrant or whatever.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Misogynist posted:

Or go with a much larger SSD if you don't mind stopping and starting your VMs when you need them. 120 GB is gonna run you like three VMs unless you're doing little thin-provisioned Linux things in Vagrant or whatever.

Thanks. I was looking to get a larger SSD (I was dumb for getting the 120). I've already got 3, but they're on one of the platter drives to save room.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, I am finally getting around to learning ESXi, and I"m having a problem, and this may or may not be a quick question:

I'm installing ESXi inside a Virtualbox machine. However, I happen to have a realtek adapter, and it seems ESXi's main program doesn't support Realtek drivers. I've attempted to change the Virtualbox settings so it's "Generic" but it doesn't seem to work and it keeps kicking me back off saying it couldn't find the network adapater. Is there something I can do within Virtualbox to get the network adapter to work, or am I going to have to load the drivers into the .iso and boot it that way?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay goons, I am finally getting around to learning ESXi, and I"m having a problem, and this may or may not be a quick question:

I'm installing ESXi inside a Virtualbox machine. However, I happen to have a realtek adapter, and it seems ESXi's main program doesn't support Realtek drivers. I've attempted to change the Virtualbox settings so it's "Generic" but it doesn't seem to work and it keeps kicking me back off saying it couldn't find the network adapater. Is there something I can do within Virtualbox to get the network adapter to work, or am I going to have to load the drivers into the .iso and boot it that way?

Use e1000/intel in virtualbox. Your physical adapter isn't presented to the VM unless you're doing passthrough (which virtualbox probably doesn't do). ESXi will work with that.

You might be able to load a VIB, but it's gonna be a bad experience unless virtualbox manifested the ability to do nested virt all of a sudden.

Install Linux and use KVM. Or get spare hardware you can install ESXi on natively. Or pay for workstation and install it there. Don't try to nest ESXi inside virtualbox.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gothmog1065 posted:

ESXi inside of Virtualbox

oh god

You don't have a physical box you can install ESXi on instead? I'm not even sure that is supported.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
VMware's course labs use ESXi on top of ESXi, and you can run Hyper-V over ESXi. You can also run ESXi on VMware Workstation. Whether or not it works in VirtualBox is another thing.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

oh god

You don't have a physical box you can install ESXi on instead? I'm not even sure that is supported.

I did, but I didn't research properly and decided to use the hardware as my new computer and then found out after I sold my other computer off. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

HOWEVER, if I fail, I fail. I'll have to work something out, I'll let you know if ESXi can actually work in VirtualBox sometime tonight.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gothmog1065 posted:

I did, but I didn't research properly and decided to use the hardware as my new computer and then found out after I sold my other computer off. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

HOWEVER, if I fail, I fail. I'll have to work something out, I'll let you know if ESXi can actually work in VirtualBox sometime tonight.

Virtualbox doesn't do nested virt. Pay for workstation.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You can do some (kind of lovely) nested virt in the free VMware Player. Although I haven't tried ESXi under it specifically.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Use VMware player and set the hypervisor to use the e1000 NIC.

Should be fine on player: https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

Just make sure you configure things appropriately. Don't expect to run the next AWS out of it or anything.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Docjowles posted:

You can do some (kind of lovely) nested virt in the free VMware Player. Although I haven't tried ESXi under it specifically.

The VM is going to be identical to Workstation, you just don't get features like snapshots and clones.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
openstack question. I don't have a openstack test environment setup currently, so i can't just play with it to answer this myself.

Is it possible to back an openstack VM with a direct iscsi lun? I have a current ovirt setup that I use for my test environment, and i am interested in converting it to openstack. I however have a lot of VMs that are running off of direct luns for their storage, which I would really like to convert over.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

openstack question. I don't have a openstack test environment setup currently, so i can't just play with it to answer this myself.

Is it possible to back an openstack VM with a direct iscsi lun? I have a current ovirt setup that I use for my test environment, and i am interested in converting it to openstack. I however have a lot of VMs that are running off of direct luns for their storage, which I would really like to convert over.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that Cinder can use LUNs for storage (you generally build LUNs from a glance image). The bad news is that I don't think there's a friendly way to import LUNs, and I don't know the Cinder backend stuff well enough to give you code that'll do it. You may have some luck asking on openstack-operators@, though.

You can import to glance from a lot of different sources, but they're all ultimately files. Exporting the oVirt VM to OVF and importing that to Glance, then dumping it onto Cinder would be your best bet. But Openstack is not traditional virt, is not intended to import existing "pets" as virtual machines, and probably isn't the best solution if you want to run persistent VMs on iSCSI LUNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

But Openstack is not traditional virt, is not intended to import existing "pets" as virtual machines, and probably isn't the best solution if you want to run persistent VMs on iSCSI LUNs.
Well, I am not surprised really. I knew that openstack was not the preferred platform for what I already run, I just wanted to try to play with it some. Oh well.