Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Parts Kit posted:

As of yesterday I have a Mac for the first time in...almost 20 years? So dumb question: what do I need to do for malware protection? I still have a desktop PC that will handle the majority of my computing so at the least something that could make sure I don't just transfer something nasty over when moving customer submitted files would be nice.

Do nothing. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

As of yesterday I have a Mac for the first time in...almost 20 years? So dumb question: what do I need to do for malware protection? I still have a desktop PC that will handle the majority of my computing so at the least something that could make sure I don't just transfer something nasty over when moving customer submitted files would be nice.

Don't install random DMGs that ask you for admin access. That's it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Windows 8.1 is fine now, just like Vista was fine after a service pack or two, but it will always be thought of as poo poo because that's how it started and an OS will never shake that label.

That said, I still use 7 on my boot camp partition, because I'm too lazy to bother upgrading it when I only boot it now and then to play Skyrim. Also, why pay the upgrade cost when 7 is good enough to do that? I'll probably jump to 10 like most people still using 7.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"Win 8.1 is just fine guys. No I would not buy it though, why do you ask?"

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Last Chance posted:

Way to miss the point. I would not buy it at the current price and then spend the effort upgrading a partition I boot just for Skyrim, when 7 does that job without issue. That doesn't mean that 8.1 isn't perfectly fine, because it is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jury's still out on Win 10, though. From what I've seen it's in a very early alpha stage with placeholder icons and stuff. Has anyone tried using it with Bootcamp?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Last Chance posted:

Jury's still out on Win 10, though. From what I've seen it's in a very early alpha stage with placeholder icons and stuff. Has anyone tried using it with Bootcamp?

I have it on my rMBP. It's prone to freezing up and sometimes takes forever to boot. I wouldn't rely on it for any actual work. I imagine Windows 8.1 wouldn't have either of these issues (it doesn't on my desktop.)

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Stux posted:

Does anyone know exactly which files and folders need transferring to move Logic 9 to a new machine? I've found the ones for X but no one seems 100% on all the files required for 9. I can't target drive it over or similar as the old mac I'm taking it from is dead. I can redownload if i have no other option but I'd rather not if possible as its a pretty huge download with all the additional content included.
What are you looking to move over? The installer and the additional content that you can download with it?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Last Chance posted:

The technical preview? I have it, but I don't really need Windows for much, so I can't say how well it works if you wanted to use like the latest office version or something, and I haven't used it for games because I have a broke-rear end NV card in my MBP. But for just flipping around on the disk or using IE/whatever they're calling Mail (because it doesn't do things that cause a gpu panic) it works just like W8 and is more or less acceptable.

Yesterday it refused to enable or show the volume control widget, but installing its updates backlog fixed that right up (and the bootcamp drivers let me change the volume with the keyboard controls anyway). Also it might just be me, but I think the scrolling is less jittery now, so that's real nice. In any event, it works with bootcamp just fine in the way that any version of windows works with bootcamp. The drivers are adequate to the level that they work, but nowhere near as nicely as in OSX, same caveats about battery life (I get ~1hr max brightness/wifi on a 2010MBP 15"). So it's just fine to mess with, but since things are constantly shifting, I wouldn't use it on a machine I needed for serious work in Windows. Especially since now when I try to reboot it (and probably on shutdown, too) explorer crashes. God I hate programs that crash on quit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Windows 10 comes out in a couple months anyways I thought?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Windows 10 comes out in a couple months anyways I thought?
Probably closer to Summer. The Consumer Preview will likely be out this month.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mac OS X and Mac Software and Microsoft OSs

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm trying to upgrade a 2010 MBP from 10.6.8 to 10.10.1. I installed the Yosemite upgrade from the App Store but when it runs, I get as far as "select the disk where you want to install," click on the boot volume, and get as far as a pop-up "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer."

I rebooted from the install DVD, ran Disk Utility, tried running repair disk, and it fixed a couple of problems before giving a clean bill of health, but the Yosemite installer still won't run.

A bit of googling suggests I might need a recovery partition for the new OS version, but the version of Disk Utility on my machine doesn't have a Partition tab. I currently have about 11GB free space and the disk is just one big partition.

Ideas?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait what? I didn't think Snow Leopard even had an app store? I thought the biggest jump you could make to install a new OS is Lion -> Mav/Yos.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Wait what? I didn't think Snow Leopard even had an app store? I thought the biggest jump you could make to install a new OS is Lion -> Mav/Yos.

Nope, App Store debuted with Snow Leopard, and it says on the App Store page that you can go from from 10.6.8 -> Yosemite.

h_double fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 8, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I stand corrected then.

If you've still got the Yos installer I might try making a boot disk from a USB stick or SD card or something and trying to boot from there. http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

Recovery Partition is just a section of the drive that's partitioned off with the basic installer information, and then you download the installer and install from there. Basically as a way for newer computers to update/reinstall their OS in an emergency since they don't come with CDs anymore.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Thanks, I figured there was a way to boot off a USB stick or some such and that article looks really helpful.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

IUG posted:

I love these kinds of totally original and not at all predictable or formulaic admonitions. Windows runs on Macs, so it definitely is Mac Software, so there's nothing bad about debating which version to use on a Mac. It wasn't going to go on forever.

h_double posted:

A bit of googling suggests I might need a recovery partition for the new OS version, but the version of Disk Utility on my machine doesn't have a Partition tab. I currently have about 11GB free space and the disk is just one big partition.

I don't know about your other problems, but the recovery partition is created automatically, not manually.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

flavor posted:

I don't know about your other problems, but the recovery partition is created automatically, not manually.

Pretty sure recovery partitions didn't show up until Lion at earliest, he's got Snow Leopard, so no recovery partition auto or otherwise.

Fake Edit: If h_double manages to get YOSOS installed it should create a recovery partition as part of the upgrade process.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Parts Kit posted:

As a relatively new Mac user myself, I do nothing. Apple provides (and silently updates) XProtect which seems to stop Malware in its tracks. If you're REALLY concerned, download ClamXAV once every few months and scan your system with it.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I use a colleague's rMBp and iMac at work - both machines are on Yosemite. There is some form of adware installed that randomly opens other browser tabs when I'm using both Chrome and Safari. I THINK it's Mackeeper, but I'm unsure.

What's the best way to scan for and remove this sort of Adware?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

IUG posted:

Honestly this is the best place for these kind of questions, you're much more likely to encounter Mac users with Windows also installed than the other way around.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just found it funny that so much Microsoft talk was going on in this thread.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty sure recovery partitions didn't show up until Lion at earliest, he's got Snow Leopard, so no recovery partition auto or otherwise.

Fake Edit: If h_double manages to get YOSOS installed it should create a recovery partition as part of the upgrade process.

Right, recovery partitions arrived with Lion. My thought was that if I could manually create a recovery partition, Yos could use it to install from. But there doesn't seem to be a way to do that, and creating a bootable USB device looks like a reasonably elegant solution.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Last Chance posted:

I've only installed it on a VM and since I don't test all the Microsoft ecosystem poo poo like SQL or whatever it doesn't really look or feel that much different to me. They scaled back some of the Metro UI though some elements still exist (the tiled launcher has been integrated into a more traditional Start Menu, kind of like how some custom start menus were doing).

Last Chance posted:

I wouldn't buy it because I got a license for 8.1 Pro from work, but if I had to use a Windows PC for my main computer I'd use it over 7 because I'm not a luddite baby.

Fortunately for me however, I use Macintosh computers so I have better options available.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

binarysmurf posted:

I use a colleague's rMBp and iMac at work - both machines are on Yosemite. There is some form of adware installed that randomly opens other browser tabs when I'm using both Chrome and Safari. I THINK it's Mackeeper, but I'm unsure.

I'm not sure you're running into adware as much as just popups, I just say that cause the Mackeeper one seems really common. If it's just that you could try running with an ad blocker of some sort.

Otherwise if you think it's adware I guess try ClamXAV or Sophos or something and do a full system scan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love the new tab system in Safarai in Yosemite, but god dammit if I accidentally pull another tab off the window when all I've done is click it (usually Facebook for whatever reason), I'm going to lose my mind. Please put the guy who added the code so you had to pull the icon about 2 feet away from the dock for it to actually remove onto the Safari team ASAP.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Parts Kit posted:

One thing I've done thats sort of related is turn on click-to-run for extensions/add-ins/whatever. One of the biggest vectors for infection (imo) on any system is Flash, PDFs, and Java. Click-to-run keeps that stuff from running by default. It also has the added benefit of making the web less lovely since its stops all the pointless Flash thats still out there.

Check run or block plugins section here for Chrome
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142064

Here's an article about it for Firefox (this doesn't work for Flash so I just don't install Flash for Firefox)
http://www.howtogeek.com/123986/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-firefox/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Sasquatch! posted:

What are you looking to move over? The installer and the additional content that you can download with it?

I wanted to just move them over in full as easily as possible to avoid having to redownload both with their additional content and my VSTs/AUs because it came to about 100gb overall. I set my system drive name to the same as the old mac and used the same name for my home folder as well and just transferred the apps themselves along with the relevant application support folders (logic, garageband, audio and relevant plugins) as well as the main component/vst folder. Most everything worked other than two or three plugins which I then searched for on the old drive and moved over their relevant folders or reinstalled. Everything is functioning fine now, old projects are loading up correctly after reverifying required plugins etc and it's saved me a huge download.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Why the hell does my hostname keep changing from Hostname.local to Hostname-2.local? I did use Migration Assistant to move from my old box to the current, but there wouldn't be anything else on the network with the same name or anything...

edit: I do have simultaneous wired and wireless connections to the same router.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I have a pdf file that I've been using since my first laptop, back in 2003. It's a list of titles, an index, and when you click a title, it opens one of another ten or so pdf files in the same folder and goes right to the page the title is on. Since moving those files onto my new laptop, running 10.9.5, most of those links now do not work. I get a pop up that says I don't have permission to view the new file. Even though I can open it on my own, skipping the index pdf.

No amount of adjusting permissions in the Info changes anything. Googling this just gives me a few pages of bewildered programmers. Is my ancient but infinitely useful pdf file now broken or is there a quick fix to getting it's functionality back?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

binarysmurf posted:

Have them stop installing random poo poo from websites, then check the plugins and/or extensions in safari and see if anything from this list shows up.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mackeeper isn't malware, as hard as they try to make you believe it is.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
MacKeeper is malware, as hard as some try to claim it isn't.

Syjefroi posted:

I have a pdf file that I've been using since my first laptop, back in 2003. It's a list of titles, an index, and when you click a title, it opens one of another ten or so pdf files in the same folder and goes right to the page the title is on. Since moving those files onto my new laptop, running 10.9.5, most of those links now do not work. I get a pop up that says I don't have permission to view the new file. Even though I can open it on my own, skipping the index pdf.

No amount of adjusting permissions in the Info changes anything. Googling this just gives me a few pages of bewildered programmers. Is my ancient but infinitely useful pdf file now broken or is there a quick fix to getting it's functionality back?

Sounds like a sandboxing issue. Are you using Preview? Maybe try an app that isn't sandboxed - as much as I hate Adobe Reader, it probably isn't sandboxed so you might give it a try.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This is strange, I just had my iPhone replaced and now handoff between my MacBook Air (2014) and iPad (Mini Retina) and iPhone (5S) isn't working, but handoff between the iPad and iPhone works perfectly. I've tested in Safari, iMessage, and Mail.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.1

I've followed the instructions here and done the standard turn it off and on again for all three devices but nothing has changed. Airdrop to the Mac is working fine as well, what else should I try?

Edit: The quick hotspot option is also available on the iPad but not the Mac.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 9, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Running 10.10 and Office 2010 on a machine here at work. Lately, Communicator just beachballs and has to be forced to quit within seconds of starting it up.
I've tried renaming the .plist and deleting the saved app state folder. Console gives me nothing of value. Anyone have any ideas?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You mean Office 2011, 2010 is Windows. Unless you're running a VM or Booty Camp.

Instead of Communicator, you could just get Adium and install the SIPE plug-in as detailed here. Unless there's something you absolutely need in Communicator..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 9, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Derp yes, I meant 2011.

While I hate Communicator on both Windows and OSX, I don't think I can push that as a valid solution. It worked before. It's working on a few other Macs in that department, etc. :\

I'd ditch it all company wide if it were up to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Duet Display is loving awesome.