Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pakled posted:

Send Advisors and Equipment, for after all, it would be most dishonorable to fail to help our allies, and we can expect great profits from trade in North Africa.

Let us take the Congo and Gabon, and, if possible, support Morgan Industries' bid to conquer the natives of Southwestern Africa.

Well said, sir, well said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I feel stupid now, thanks :argh:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, I should probably add that Morgan Industries are (for now) a satellite state of Neubauten, so they don't have an independent foreign policy and no means of pursuing their own wars. We can, however, count on them to support any adventures in Africa.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ZearothK posted:

Oh, I should probably add that Morgan Industries are (for now) a satellite state of Neubauten, so they don't have an independent foreign policy and no means of pursuing their own wars. We can, however, count on them to support any adventures in Africa.

Can we conquer land and then give it to them? I mean, I know you can't do that using in-game mechanics, but there's always events, right? :buddy:

(also I totally meant to type "Southeastern Africa" in my vote but now it's been quoted and welp)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pakled posted:

Can we conquer land and then give it to them? I mean, I know you can't do that using in-game mechanics, but there's always events, right? :buddy:

You know, that is a good idea for a future Hansetag or similar housekeeping event.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I think we need to be aware of how many conflicts we are getting ourselves into. While I see some advantages in sending advisers and equipment, doing so will distract us from our warmaking capabilities in the New World. We would be much better served developing our soft power in response to the Atefid delegation. Offer to mediate.

EDIT: I also refuse to cooperate in any way with the Raj until that damned government is replaced.

As for colonialism, I would rather we use influence and investment to bring Gaza under our control. We might also look at purchasing territory from nearby colonial powers, like Scotland.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 8, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

B, A - Cape

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Attempt to mediate and leave Africa well enough alone.

Brothers and sisters, look at us. Five days into the Hansetag and we have gone so far beyond politically overextending ourselves we have wrapped around and begun to strangle ourselves. We make claims of intervention and greatness in India that blow up in our face; interfering in the matters of backwards Europa threatens that and more; and now we attempt to extend another tendril out to Afrika without settling matters in our own back garden first? Madness!

The conflict in Afrika suits no-one, I agree, so we should at least send a token diplomatic party to try and quench the fires there (at the Caliphs' behest, of course) but attempting to play the colonial game in a fourth sphere of the world is foolhardy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
B., B.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pakled posted:

Send Advisors and Equipment, for after all, it would be most dishonorable to fail to help our allies, and we can expect great profits from trade in North Africa.

Let us take the Congo and Gabon, and, if possible, support Morgan Industries' bid to conquer the natives of Southwestern Africa.

This man knows what he's talking about

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Send advisers and equipment, leave Africa alone.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Send advisers and equipment and be a colonialist shitlord and bring the light of civilization to as many places in africa as possible.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Mediate and B

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

SeaTard posted:

B, A - Cape

Agreein' with this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mediate and Leave Africa Be. We're about to undertake multiple, massive operations in our own backyard, we can't be wasting our energy on Africa. As for the Caliph, diplomatic aid and the Raj will fulfill our obligations there. And should the Caliphate collapse, Neubaten can claim to have stayed its hand to whatever and whoever succeeds it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Serpentis posted:

Brothers and sisters, look at us. Five days into the Hansetag and we have gone so far beyond politically overextending ourselves we have wrapped around and begun to strangle ourselves. We make claims of intervention and greatness in India that blow up in our face; interfering in the matters of backwards Europa threatens that and more; and now we attempt to extend another tendril out to Afrika without settling matters in our own back garden first? Madness!

The conflict in Afrika suits no-one, I agree, so we should at least send a token diplomatic party to try and quench the fires there (at the Caliphs' behest, of course) but attempting to play the colonial game in a fourth sphere of the world is foolhardy.

Hear, hear!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Send advisers and equipment and grab the Cape.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Grabbing the cape is going to be really awkward if Scotland ends up joining the Hansa.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is not a Hanseatic matter and Leave Africa alone.

Until we have have our own continent under control, we need not to get bogged down in petty squabbles around the world. Was business does the Hansa have in Africa?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pakled posted:

Grabbing the cape is going to be really awkward if Scotland ends up joining the Hansa.

We could offer to buy it off them. Not sure if Scotland would oblige, but it's one non-violent way to gain control.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2015

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Yeah, following the Fourteenth and Fifteenth rule seems prudent at the moment.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

e X posted:

This is not a Hanseatic matter and Leave Africa alone.

Until we have have our own continent under control, we need not to get bogged down in petty squabbles around the world. Was business does the Hansa have in Africa?

Agreed.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rejected Fate posted:

Yeah, following the Fourteenth and Fifteenth rule seems prudent at the moment.

You know what, in review, I change my vote to Leave Africa Alone. Getting ourselves embroiled in the region when we are already trying to fight on four separate continents seems like a bad idea.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Rodyle posted:

Mediate and Leave Africa Be. We're about to undertake multiple, massive operations in our own backyard, we can't be wasting our energy on Africa. As for the Caliph, diplomatic aid and the Raj will fulfill our obligations there. And should the Caliphate collapse, Neubaten can claim to have stayed its hand to whatever and whoever succeeds it.

Seconding this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

Our Constitution (or the closest we have) literally says to never trust the Scottish royal family. If the Scottish DO join the Hansa, the Goon/Eisen schism must be mended.

E: It also has two articles telling us not to gently caress with Africa.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 9, 2015

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Rodyle posted:

Our Constitution (or the closest we have) literally says to never trust the Scottish royal family. If the Scottish DO join the Hansa, the Goon/Eisen schism must be mended.

E: It also has two articles telling us not to gently caress with Africa.

And yet over half (rough eyeball of votes) the Hansetag has forgotten all of the above.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to vote Rule 14 on the Africa question.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

1) Attempt to mediate negotiations (9): TheMcD, GSD, QuoProQuid, Serpentis, Rejected Fate, Rodyle, alcaras, Gravity Cant Apple, crimea
2) Send Advisors and Equipment (9): Pakled, Lord Cyrahzax, SeaTard, Rincewind, ThatBasqueGuy, Hitlers Gay Secret, Kanthulhu, Glenn Zimmerman, Ibblebibble
3) This is not a Hanseatic Matter (2): e X, Minus Green
4) No Vote (1): GoatLord

a) Interventionism (9): Pakled, TheMcD, GSD, Lord Cyrahzax, SeaTard, ThatBasqueGuy, Kanthulhu, Glenn Zimmerman, Ibblebibble
-Seize the Congo Valley and Gabon;
-Build a Cape to Cairo railroad through investiment;
-Invest into and sphere the Gaza Empire;
-Free New Selkirk and sphere it (if Scotland does not join the Hansa);
b) Leave Africa at Ease (12): Serpentis, Rincewind, Hitlers Gay Secret, Rejected Fate, Rodyle, alcaras, e X, Minus Green, QuoProQuid, Gravity Cant Apple, GoatLord, crimea

Your votes are tied, please argue yourselves into fixing it by the time I am back tomorrow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A united, but subservient Atefid Empire is in our best interests. It is most unfortunate that we have decided against forming African colonies of our own, but this just means that the influence we could gain in North Africa by assisting the Atefids in this conflict is more important than ever. Given the influence of foreign powers such as Ethiopia, diplomatic negotiations are unlikely to keep the region united. A weak and divided Atefid Empire would strengthen the position of the Latin Empire and Ukraine, which would be most concerning to our European territories.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Send advisors and equipment to break the tie. And leave Africa at ease.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Mediate, and Leave Africa alone.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

JT Jag posted:

This

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

First we get burned by the Raj. Next, we force ourselves to follow his every whim, our tail tucked between our legs.

Should I assume that our next vote will involve us ceding our sovereignty to the butcher of India?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuoProQuid posted:

First we get burned by the Raj. Next, we force ourselves to follow his every whim, our tail tucked between our legs.

Should I assume that our next vote will involve us ceding our sovereignty to the butcher of India?

We're supporting those drat Raj-loving Viktorians here on the continent too. :argh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Raj can handle the league's material obligations in North Africa by itself, the rest of us need not do anything. This is PARTICULARLY important because the LEAGUE has already decided that we need to give the Pope land and break the Aztecs. Divison of labor Ladies and Gentlemen, Viktoria, Neubaten and Nordland must look to their borders.

I suppose if a territory besides the Raj MUST get involved, the Europeans could do it, but really, who merits more force, some Middle Eastern rebels or the almighty Incan Empire?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wait a second, which choice is "gently caress the Raj"? Because that is my choice.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wait a second, which choice is "gently caress the Raj"? Because that is my choice.

Mediate. The Raj preemptively declared war against the rebellion and is counting on the League to support him. Arming the Caliphate would probably cause the Raj to end up with some of our equipment. Pushing the Hansa toward peace and mediation would leave the Raj with egg on his face for turning to violence as a first resort.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Changing my vote from "not a Hanseatic matter" to Mediate. My vote for Africa remains to leave it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

JT Jag posted:

This.

• Locked thread