Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).
well, I mean, read the posts that're reported and decide for yourself if they deserve punishment or not.

Even with Only proper punctuation, it's not like low effort trolling would go away. You'd just be catching a lot of legitimately funny posters in the crossfire.

edit: also imo, two mods or one mod, the rules mod should be someone who doesn't give a poo poo about anime, like Xylo. That way there's no people being probated because they didn't like Legend of the Galactic Heroes (a thing zorak actually did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

PotU posted:

also make a thread to talk about anime that arent currently running because its stupid to have one for every single show. sometimes i just want to constantly post about how good k-on is. i, however, dont make threads

a lot of the currently running anime shows don't even need threads tbh; like adtrw could just have "harem animes that only that one poster watches; i can't remember there name right now, but you know who i mean" thread instead of actually having a new thread for each anime filled with posts like"

"episode 1 was promising I'll give it a three episode trial"
"episode 3 was the onsen episode"
"its super amazing how everyone died in the last episode"

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vkeios posted:

a lot of the currently running anime shows don't even need threads tbh; like adtrw could just have "harem animes that only that one poster watches; i can't remember there name right now, but you know who i mean" thread instead of actually having a new thread for each anime filled with posts like"

yeah but thats what the current season thread is for id say. just get rid of the "only up to episode 3" rule thing and when people want to make a seperate thread about a show, they can! but i think current and old should be seperated still

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

With zorak gone there may never be a season thread again unless someone does it.

It will not be me tho.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

well, I mean, read the posts that're reported and decide for yourself if they deserve punishment or not.

Even with Only proper punctuation, it's not like low effort trolling would go away. You'd just be catching a lot of legitimately funny posters in the crossfire.

edit: also imo, two mods or one mod, the rules mod should be someone who doesn't give a poo poo about anime, like Xylo. That way there's no people being probated because they didn't like Legend of the Galactic Heroes (a thing zorak actually did)

I'd be okay with Xylo/CPA

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

With zorak gone there may never be a season thread again unless someone does it.

It will not be me tho.

i bet someone will make one, those are actually a really good thing and very endorsed effort posts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

Was that Nephilim? He was kind of a butt who was weird and creepy but I agree disliking a show shouldn't get you in trouble.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Was that Nephilim? He was kind of a butt who was weird and creepy but I agree disliking a show shouldn't get you in trouble.

isnt that the incest guy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im thinking about making a short anime thread. so for all the 3 minute things that otherwise barely get any posts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

im thinking about making a short anime thread. so for all the 3 minute things that otherwise barely get any posts

:justpost:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Davincie posted:

Nice. Everyone is sure thinking about a lot of good posts.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Davincie posted:

I too want to discuss mermaid bathtub and reverse harem desserts.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

That it was Nephillim is immaterial, Zorak's still the butt in that situation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

vkeios posted:

A "Misc. Anime Thread" would be a great idea!

In fact, an all-out general "ADTRW chat" thread might be a good, fun thing for all those people who just want to casually chitchat about nothing in particular, with an anime/manga spin. I feel that the Season threads already serve this purpose to some extent, but it'd be good to have one here. BSS and GWS and various other discussion forums have something like that, and I don't see why Zorak continually declined that idea.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davincie posted:

please do theyre great

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

A "Misc. Anime Thread" would be a great idea!

In fact, an all-out general "ADTRW chat" thread might be a good, fun thing for all those people who just want to casually chitchat about nothing in particular, with an anime/manga spin. I feel that the Season threads already serve this purpose to some extent, but it'd be good to have one here. BSS and GWS and various other discussion forums have something like that, and I don't see why Zorak continually declined that idea.
A problem with ADTRW for a long time (maybe it still is one) is that due to its smaller size people would gravitate to megathreads and just talk about whatever rather than making threads for the things they were talking about. It used to be that the subforum would only have say 3 pages because of low activity and people just not really putting in the effort to make threads. I remember him even saying at one point that he was not comfortable with the Misc. Shounen/Seinen threads for the same reason.

A chat thread may be necessary anyway so that it can siphon away the various derails that keep happening in the season threads.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A general anime chat thread (like a "what are you currently watching" thread) only works if it's properly moderated and people make threads if something is discussed for a while.

So in the thread if there was like a page worth of chat for, say, FMA then someone should make a FMA thread otherwise Zorak's right and the subforum'd stagnate.

It should also be for stuff that's finished airing (currently airing anims would go in a season thread for 3 ep test or have their own threads, same as ever).

The aim would be to generate chat, but to avoid all anime chat being concentrated in the one thread.

E: Season thread would remain as the 3 ep test/news thread.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
General chat threads were prohibited for two reasons: A. they promote clique-y behavior and B. we already have an IRC channel (#gattai on irc.synIRC.net) for general bullshit chat.

Of course, we're a pretty angry and bitter clique in #gattai and our ops rule with an iron fist. Come stop by and say hi.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

Squidster posted:

It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.
There is no current mod of ADTRW but I want everyone to see this and know that you are posting with someone who thinks this post is good. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

i think this mod is cool and good and has already extensively proved its anime knowledge, i say this should be our new mod

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
That guy is cool to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That person posted child rape fanfic under the defense that "I didn't read past the first sentence", so they're the perfect fit for ADTRW

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

General chat threads were prohibited for two reasons: A. they promote clique-y behavior and B. we already have an IRC channel (#gattai on irc.synIRC.net) for general bullshit chat.

Of course, we're a pretty angry and bitter clique in #gattai and our ops rule with an iron fist. Come stop by and say hi.

I want to post in the forum and not some irc bullshit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Namtab posted:

A general anime chat thread (like a "what are you currently watching" thread) only works if it's properly moderated and people make threads if something is discussed for a while.

So in the thread if there was like a page worth of chat for, say, FMA then someone should make a FMA thread otherwise Zorak's right and the subforum'd stagnate.

It should also be for stuff that's finished airing (currently airing anims would go in a season thread for 3 ep test or have their own threads, same as ever).

The aim would be to generate chat, but to avoid all anime chat being concentrated in the one thread.

E: Season thread would remain as the 3 ep test/news thread.

From my experience with the megathreads -- like the Misc Shounen thread, and my very own Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread -- people are fairly diligent about making threads about shows that get a good deal of discussion. I do agree that the season megathreads should be used for three-episode tests and so on to gauge interest, and for seasonal anime-related news. However, they currently also fulfill some of the purpose of a general chat thread, so it would be nice if their true purpose could be clarified.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecha Gojira posted:

its 2015, dude

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

coathat posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've made a thread for short anime shows. please post anime shows that are short in there if you know any that i don't know

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm sure a general chat thread would be less cliquey than IRC.

The general chat thread would work as an experiment, much like the worst anime of 2014 thread I did (which worked and is totes coming back in December). If it works there's a good new thread, if it doesn't there's a "close" button the OP or mod can hit.

There's no reason to not at least try it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

im joining the IRC party. please send me the hottest shota pics you all have shared on there over the years.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

coathat posted:

This is the correct opinion.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Namtab posted:

I'm sure a general chat thread would be less cliquey than IRC.

The general chat thread would work as an experiment, much like the worst anime of 2014 thread I did. If it works there's a good new thread, if it doesn't there's a "close" button the OP or mod can hit.

There's no reason to not at least try it.

Hmm, I think people may be misunderstanding me here. Nothing about that post was positive.

I think a general chat would be neat and cool if properly moderated too.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Thank you for all your years of modding Zorak. There were good and bad times but you kept this rocking boat going.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

*** DickSpaciousCPA joined #gattai
#gattai - ADTRW Anarchy Edition. | The Winter of Our Discontent (over anime) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687458 | http://adtrwiki.com/ | [20:01] <HighFamiliar> jonjonaug: is a saint-like young man. Er, GAY man. Young GAY man
Topic set by MechaGojira on Wed Jan 07 2015 10:39:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
08:14 *** DickSpaciousCPA was kicked by IShallRiseAgain (IShallRiseAgain)
08:14 !!! You have been kicked from #gattai

welp

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That person posted child rape fanfic under the defense that "I didn't read past the first sentence", so they're the perfect fit for ADTRW

lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I could never really get into IRC as every client I ever seemed to use never kept me log in for long and it was so much :effort: to log back in. What do people use?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That is a very unfunny topic with an unfunny joke about jonjonaug (banned for being creepy about VNs).

E: Apologies I forgot he was gay and gay men cannot be creepy about VNs

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I warned you about the Iron Fist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Homo

e: Post yo shota doujs

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

They seriously just banned me from #gattai for saying there aren't enough shoujo threads on ADTRW, great channel. :(

(I did make some joke about LOGH being shounen-ai but I was just trying to fit in, really though all the characters in LOGH are ripped straight from a shoujo/shounen-ai book, if you have never thought about the boys in that anime kissing you must watch anime for different reasons than me.)

Also isn't #gattai like specifically a robot channel, I didn't know it was the official channel for the entire board.

Edit: I guess this dick spacious guy is trolling the channel or something, I'm not with him.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Seems like bad moderation imo. The time for bad moderation has ended.

E: This is now also a reply to stalin-chan as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I realize I'm not the ADTRW mod and whoever the new mod is they can reverse this when they take over, but in this transition period I would ask that we all refrain from posting IRC logs, in the interest of not boring me out of my mind.

• Locked thread