Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, if you read his Twitter, he's backtracking. Says it was a part of a larger, obviously tongue-in-cheek rant but they only printed that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Megazver posted:

Well, if you read his Twitter, he's backtracking. Says it was a part of a larger, obviously tongue-in-cheek rant but they only printed that part.

Well he did ask to print that part specifically.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Guess he decided it would be kind of dumb to piss of the youtube marketing machine for whenever he releases his next game.

I'm not buying his "tongue in cheek rant" story though.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Night Blade posted:

What an interesting man. Following.

As harsh as his tone is, he's not wrong.

Oh, that's what irony looks like.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think it was a poorly executed version of this gag: http://www.p4rgaming.com/daisuke-amaya-interview-if-i-tell-people-to-choke-on-it-then-will-they-play-my-game/

Given The Stanley Parable, the trailers, his blog, and his typical humor, he's not actually serious.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think it was a poorly executed version of this gag: http://www.p4rgaming.com/daisuke-amaya-interview-if-i-tell-people-to-choke-on-it-then-will-they-play-my-game/

Given The Stanley Parable, the trailers, his blog, and his typical humor, he's not actually serious.

Doesn't really matter, deadpan outrage is the new black on the interwebs and should provide some column inches on the relationship between developers and gamers.

I just want to buy a loving product, personally.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Because PayPal is scummy as hell. I think Amazon is easy as hell but here's hoping this makes things easier for other people.

What he said. Paypal has a long, sordid history of locking accounts that are 'too active' and getting money back out of them is a Herculean task at best. The average Kickstarter drive would trip their locking algorithms within days, if not hours.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

honestly i love the face forward, serious look profile photo he went with, it looks exactly like every other phil fish photo ever taken.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Suspicious Dish posted:

This article is great.

But yeah I guess I got trolled, I've never experienced his writing outside of Stanley Parable. Either way he's right about Yogventures though.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The rant about kickstarter and, especially, Yogscast is 100% correct. Too bad that he has to apologize to youtube superstars and their hordes of outraged fanboys. Also too bad that he apparently didn't mean it :v:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Bieeardo posted:

What he said. Paypal has a long, sordid history of locking accounts that are 'too active' and getting money back out of them is a Herculean task at best. The average Kickstarter drive would trip their locking algorithms within days, if not hours.

At least a few high-profile IndieGogo projects had a lot of trouble getting their money from Paypal, since Paypal decided that it was going to be some sort of "gatekeeper" and only allow funds to be released if the project was showing progress being made, among other issues.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

He's not wrong about Yogventures but

drat what a prick.

drat this guy owns actually

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
He's actually a really decent guy from what I know. Wasn't there a joke in the Stanley Parable complained was offensive and he removed it?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like Yogscast. I think some of their videos are fun and funny, plus they introduced me to Hat Films which are even better. I did not back their Kickstarter, though, because Minecraft already existed so I didn't see much point.

Kickstarter in general obviously has it's place. I think when we in the games industry talk about it we would do well to remember that it existed long before Double Fine Adventure and it continues to successfully fund little passion projects and artistic endeavors and cookbooks and poo poo just fine with no drama and all parties walking away satisfied. At worst this Stanley Parable guy has his head pretty far up the indie gaming scene's undercarriage and at best it was a stupid joke that he never should've trusted print media to help deliver properly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RottenK posted:

The rant about kickstarter and, especially, Yogscast is 100% correct. Too bad that he has to apologize to youtube superstars and their hordes of outraged fanboys. Also too bad that he apparently didn't mean it :v:

That statement isn't actually accurate though. Winterkewl were the ones who pitched the idea of making a game to the Yogscast. They are idiots for believing Winterkewl could actually make the game though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the joke only works for the legion of video-game idea gold rushers and probably every internet celebrity game. Kickstarter is much more harmless and forgivable when its just your garden variety art or local pet project.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Great Rumbler posted:

At least a few high-profile IndieGogo projects had a lot of trouble getting their money from Paypal, since Paypal decided that it was going to be some sort of "gatekeeper" and only allow funds to be released if the project was showing progress being made, among other issues.

Christ on a crutch, I forgot about that particular bit of horseshit. I was remembering a few other times, like when the forums were raising money for the Red Cross and Paypal froze the account.

Bottom line: Don't use PayPal to transfer funds you can't afford to lose entirely.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yo people that backed Asylum check your Humble profile they just released the Steam keys. I just happened to completely stumble upon this. Hopefully its good because Scratches was cool and the game's demo was great but the development seems to have been troubled.

*Edit* I don't think its the full game yet though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Drift Stage KS is live.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910344764/drift-stage

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The five $500 tier rewards are already gone. :stare:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
...Yeah, its a good thing I kind of wrote Asylum off, because while I think its still in alpha or something it still plays and looks far worse than the demo from a few years back. Its a shame because it didn't seem that much of a gamble. Oh well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Accordion Man posted:

Yo people that backed Asylum check your Humble profile they just released the Steam keys. I just happened to completely stumble upon this. Hopefully its good because Scratches was cool and the game's demo was great but the development seems to have been troubled.

*Edit* I don't think its the full game yet though.

I thought that back in October they were considering submitting it to an Early Access model. But some backers reacted negatively to that.
Are they doing a closed backers' beta of whatever is ready, instead? Or are they still going with public Early Access?

Also, they switched to Unity from their custom Dagon engine last year. So expectedly they introduced delays in the development. (Not to mention that this is always a Bad Decision™, so far into the development -didn't they claim that the game was only a few months away from completion back in early 2013 when the campaign lauched?).

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 9, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pledged, despite not seeing myself playing it much. Looks awesome!

Edit:Just realized, if Simon the Sorceror and the Shadowrun one arrive soon I'll be pledging almost 250 bucks this month :(

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AbstractNapper posted:

I thought that back in October they were considering submitting it to an Early Access model. But some backers reacted negatively to that.
Are they doing a closed backers' beta of whatever is ready, instead? Or are they still going with public Early Access?
Don't know, I haven't been following it. As I said, I just checked my Humble profile and it was there. Doesn't give me any confidence though because its been two years and its only gotten worse, I've ran into some huge graphical and gamebreaking glitches in only ten minutes. They really must have hosed up big time, especially because the game was in development before the Kickstarter campaign.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 9, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 10, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone was tonedeaf enough to use the phrase "mewling" non-ironically. Unless they're talking about kittens.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'd say it was pretty well executed given it already sparked a ton of attention just for being controversial.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SupSuper posted:

I'd say it was pretty well executed given it already sparked a ton of attention just for being controversial.

I thought a well executed joke is supposed to be funny.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Funny jokes were really more of a 90s thing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Will Stripe also be a pain in the rear end for everyone outside of NA to use?

If it's anything like the Stripe thingy used on Humble Bundle it's actually loving amazing and miles ahead of Amazon Payments/PayPal.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
The Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Hong Kong kickstarter will begin on January 13th: https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/553974896326623232

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mutata posted:

I like Yogscast. I think some of their videos are fun and funny, plus they introduced me to Hat Films which are even better. I did not back their Kickstarter, though, because Minecraft already existed so I didn't see much point.

Yeah, they put out some funny content and some tedious stuff, what do you expect from 30+ people making youtube videos every day. The game was an obviously terrible idea from day one though and quite frankly the Yogscast were extremely foolish for not seeing this.

That said, I find it hard to sympathise with anyone who backed it being angry with the Yogscast. They clearly believed it was possible too... so what can they say? That they're mad the Yogscast were as dumb as they were?

Moral of the story: goons who make a living playing video games should stick to what they're good at. :v:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Parenthesis posted:

The Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Hong Kong kickstarter will begin on January 13th: https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/553974896326623232

Thank gently caress for telling me this, I was going insane with constant F5'ing and wondering how to budget this coming month.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Darkest Dungeon just sent out an update, it's going to be hitting Steam Early Access February 3rd, and $20+ backers will get keys on January 30th.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this, they seem to be one of the few and proud projects that have done everything right. And if the date holds, they'll be one of the even fewer who almost, technically, hit their target release date (estimated "Jan 2015" for early access on the Kickstarter page). Early Access can be more miss than hit, but I'll bet they end up making that work out really well too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.pcgamer.com/glorious-leader-kickstarter-campaign-cancelled-following-hacks/

Glorious Leader! has been canceled after the devs were hacked and...had key information deleted so they had to stop development altogether. I'm genuinely confused about how that works (seriously, I have no clue when it comes to this stuff). Did they not keep back-ups or something?

:psyduck:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/glorious-leader-kickstarter-campaign-cancelled-following-hacks/

Glorious Leader! has been canceled after the devs were hacked and...had key information deleted so they had to stop development altogether. I'm genuinely confused about how that works (seriously, I have no clue when it comes to this stuff). Did they not keep back-ups or something?

Probably got tons of death threats and harassment and decided it wasn't worth it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Darkest Dungeon just sent out an update, it's going to be hitting Steam Early Access February 3rd, and $20+ backers will get keys on January 30th.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this, they seem to be one of the few and proud projects that have done everything right. And if the date holds, they'll be one of the even fewer who almost, technically, hit their target release date (estimated "Jan 2015" for early access on the Kickstarter page). Early Access can be more miss than hit, but I'll bet they end up making that work out really well too.

I am so ready for this. Didn't get in on the kickstarter, so I slacker-backed at the $20 tier. The third can't get here soon enough!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't that make for a more substantial reason than making out you can lose entire projects because of an unsecure PC, though? Maybe I'm underestimating how difficult this stuff actually is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

poptart_fairy posted:

Project Zomboid had the same thing happen, so it's not completely unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Their funding had leveled off quickly and it wasn't likely to even come close to their goal. They probably just cancelled it to squeeze one last 'heh' out of the joke.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/884592321/glorious-leader/